BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

02-10-2014, 09:50 AM   #1
Futurex6owner
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2004 BMW Z4

X5 50i Dakota Mocha Sport or Comfort Seats std

Hi everyone,

I just took delivery of a Beautiful X5 50i, I ordered it with Mocha Dakota, with the understanding it came with Comfort seats, as they are standard with the 50i. However, the vehicle came with sport seats instead of comfort seats. I tried to configure it online, and if you order tierra, then the vehicle comes with the comfort seats. I brought it up to my salesman and he says it is an additional option to get comfort seats, but the sticker says comfort seats std. Did anyone else experience this?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-10-2014, 10:10 AM   #2
lovec1990
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X

and salesman didnt warn you when you were making a order?
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2014, 12:17 PM   #3
atomic80
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 997TT

Isn't the comfort seats option for the rear seats not the front? At least that's what I understand. I have that option ordered on mine.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2014, 01:02 PM   #4
wdimagineer
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 M

The front seats (with M Sport) have two options according to the order guide:
481 - Sport Seats
456 - Multi-Contour Seats

I believe the OP is referring to the Multi-Contour seats. BMW's order guide is a little tricky at times. For example, when I placed my order I got satin aluminum roof rails instead of gloss black (default for ZMP). I caught it and my CA updated.

481 is supposed to be the default according to the order guide unless you get something that changes it, like seat ventilation.
      02-10-2014, 03:17 PM   #5
Sean_250
Private First Class
England
Rep
Drives: X5 30D SE

You can't get Comfort (MC) seats with Mocha Dakota. If you want Comfort seats and Mocha then you have to have Nappa.
At least this is the case in UK.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2014, 04:28 PM   #6
reach.ran@gmail.com
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X5 35d M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean_250 View Post
You can't get Comfort (MC) seats with Mocha Dakota. If you want Comfort seats and Mocha then you have to have Nappa.
At least this is the case in UK.
This is true in the US as well. This is the reason I had to order Mocha Nappa. For some reason you can get multi contour seats as standard in other colors when you order 50i but not Mocha Dakota.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2014, 06:19 PM   #7
rawskyb
Private
Rep
Drives: G05 45e, Porsche Macan GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by reach.ran@gmail.com View Post
This is true in the US as well. This is the reason I had to order Mocha Nappa. For some reason you can get multi contour seats as standard in other colors when you order 50i but not Mocha Dakota.
This is pretty much the case for any US builds. When I tried to configure Mocha Dakota on my 35d with MC seating, it required adding the Interior Design package and Nappa leather, which added another $1950 to the build. The weird thing is you can do Mocha in Dakota if you don't want MC seats. Why they allow this but not the Mocha/MC combination (without Nappa and the Design package) doesn't make any sense.

I ended up going with Terra and am very happy with the color after receiving the vehicle.

There are some really strange build combination restrictions from BMW. Not sure if there is any real logic to some of it or not...
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2014, 08:06 PM   #8
Shaw
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5 35d | 2019 X3 30i

Garage List
as long it's mocha, I'm all in....
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2014, 02:32 AM   #9
Bibendum
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 M5

Agree. Ordering is ridiculously confusing. I nearly got stuck with the satin aluminum rails but caught it as a fluke when went to check the order build on the site. Otherwise would have been a bad day at delivery.

OP what are you going to do with the car?
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2014, 08:05 AM   #10
1230vani
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G05 40i LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Futurex6owner View Post
Hi everyone,

I just took delivery of a Beautiful X5 50i, I ordered it with Mocha Dakota, with the understanding it came with Comfort seats, as they are standard with the 50i. However, the vehicle came with sport seats instead of comfort seats. I tried to configure it online, and if you order tierra, then the vehicle comes with the comfort seats. I brought it up to my salesman and he says it is an additional option to get comfort seats, but the sticker says comfort seats std. Did anyone else experience this?
Unfort. not an option to have dakota mocha and comfort. After knowing this, I "willingly" opted to still go for sport seats instead of comfort (which require another color or nappa packages) as nappa leather is too sensitive with kids and i did not like the terra (got bored of it).

So i sacrificed functionality by not taking terra. I have to add I had comfort seats in my X6 for the last three years...

I also have to add, your car looks great with aluminium trim and ceramic, which I took as well
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2015, 08:29 AM   #11
Kzang
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35i Msport SG

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1230vani View Post
Unfort. not an option to have dakota mocha and comfort. After knowing this, I "willingly" opted to still go for sport seats instead of comfort (which require another color or nappa packages) as nappa leather is too sensitive with kids and i did not like the terra (got bored of it).

So i sacrificed functionality by not taking terra. I have to add I had comfort seats in my X6 for the last three years...

I also have to add, your car looks great with aluminium trim and ceramic, which I took as well
Can you tell us how you feel about the sports seats versus the comfort seats?
Cons and pros? Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2015, 09:42 AM   #12
1230vani
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kzang View Post
Can you tell us how you feel about the sports seats versus the comfort seats?
Cons and pros? Thanks.
Sport seats with lumbar adjustment - they are fully electrical as that was a given with the m package, paid extra the lumbar support (almost same cost as comfort altogether). I really liked the dakota mocha as noted before, it was one of the main reasons I took it. Can't really say that lumbar is that useful actually. No side bolsters which took many (including me) by surprise as sport seats used to have that function.

Comfort seats - they are just perfect, because they have lumbar support already included, they come cheaper with some of the packages (eg. sport package) and they are also fully automated. On longer journeys you can feel the advantage, also the headrests are more comfortable and the whole seat has far more options, the most important one (for me) is that with comfort you can adjust the upper part of the upper seat (where you lean your back). So if the upper part is set a bit forward, your back just kinda blends in. To me comfort seats are far superior, I find B&O far superior also, but many on this forum will tell you its not that big of a difference, to me there it.

Would I take comfort seats if I was buying now: Yes, definitely.

I have to say that I found the previous version of comfort seat (E70/71) even more comfortable than the current comfort seat version .
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2015, 11:58 PM   #13
turbotoy4me
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

Garage List
2015 Porsche Macan ...  [0.00]
2017 BMW i3  [0.00]
2020 BMW  [0.00]
[QUOTE=Futurex6owner;15418862]Hi everyone,

Beautiful combo. Sorry to hear about the seats.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2015, 06:06 AM   #14
invisigoth
Enlisted Member
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 M50d, 2016 M135i LCI

I think the Dakota Mocha is not compatible with comfort seat here in Australia. Also it may remove the leather dashboard. We ordered Nappa Mocha instead and have to pay extra for the extended leather option to get leather back on the dashboard...
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2015, 08:59 AM   #15
Babs
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by invisigoth View Post
I think the Dakota Mocha is not compatible with comfort seat here in Australia. Also it may remove the leather dashboard. We ordered Nappa Mocha instead and have to pay extra for the extended leather option to get leather back on the dashboard...
My opinion, and I don't expect it will be popular with BMW is that they had to make a marketing decision. If they offered Mocha Dakota with Multi Contour seats, they will probably sell a lot less of the mocha nappa leather and the mocha interior design package. It was probably also a way of distinguishing the two mocha interior options. My two cents on this topic......
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2015, 09:37 AM   #16
AGV
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F15

Quote:
Sport seats with lumbar adjustment - they are fully electrical as that was a given with the m package, paid extra the lumbar support (almost same cost as comfort altogether). I really liked the dakota mocha as noted before, it was one of the main reasons I took it. Can't really say that lumbar is that useful actually. No side bolsters which took many (including me) by surprise as sport seats used to have that function.
Side bolsters on Sport Seats (in F15) are exactly the same as on Comfort seats

Last edited by AGV; 07-01-2015 at 09:47 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2015, 02:31 PM   #17
1230vani
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGV
Quote:
Well I don't have them. What is your production date? Mine 12 2014
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2015, 02:32 PM   #18
1230vani
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1230vani
Quote:
Originally Posted by AGV
Quote:
Well I don't have them. What is your production date? Mine 12 2014
I'll take a photo of the side of the seat to see there is no control button. Unless you cannot inflate the side bolsters with comfort ones?
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2015, 02:51 PM   #19
AGV
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F15

1230vani
Sorry man, I did not know that - no side bolsters and there is no regulator of side bolsters are the same.
Appreciate 0