10-01-2021, 02:11 AM   #23
///d
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15 35d M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrrsharma@yahoo.com View Post
I got my recall letter in the mail. Interestingly it says repair -unavailable at this time on the form. So I guess the new pump version is not out?
That's common for recalls. Usually you get the initial letter ahead of the recall going into effect as a heads up, then once the dealerships have the parts they start making calls or send letters to let you know you can schedule an appt.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2021, 09:57 AM   #24
CanadianLurker
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 X5 xDrive35d

Quote:
I got my recall letter in the mail. Interestingly it says repair -unavailable at this time on the form. So I guess the new pump version is not out?
Yep, same wording in the letter I just got from BMW Canada.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2021, 03:19 PM   #25
meyerkl
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW X5d

This is exactly what happened to my 2018 X5d back in March 2019, just a few months after purchase. Making a slow speed left onto a busy city street, engine light came on and it stalled and locked just seconds later... in the middle of that busy street. Couldn't be restarted or even shifted into neutral, so there I was until a tow truck came over an hour later with trolleys since the wheels were locked. Entire fuel system had to be replaced due to remnants of the blown pump, but was done under warranty. No problems since. So now I'm wondering if the 2019 replacement pump would still be vulnerable to this, and I've asked BMW with no reply yet.

To someone else's reply, the BMW service dept did grill me on where I last filled up, what additives I used, and I bet they did send out a sample. But in the end they covered everything.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2021, 12:26 PM   #26
F87 S55
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M2 Competition

Garage List
Get in Line.....

Quote:
I also received my recall letter on Oct 1st. As mentioned, they have no parts, and not just these parts, a LOT of parts are hard to source. I called my parts guy at the dealership and they are seeing lead times of 5-10 days for parts that used to take 1-3 days. And sometimes it can be longer!! I have been waiting for an oil filter for the S55 in my 2021 M2 Competition for over a week. They have them at the 5 warehouses, its a delivery problem and its nationwide.

Concerning the HPFP. I would connect with your Service Advisor and get on the list ASAP. I called and they have me on the list already. As mentioned above, if mine should fail, they told me I would move immediately to the head of the line and I would be provided a loaner at no cost. I'm not terribly concerned as I have 24k miles on my 2018 X5 35d but I'm learning that fuel choice is more a factor than mileage, so I am very cognizant of only buying quality fuel.

Best of luck to us all!!
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2021, 04:32 PM   #27
JamesInSJ
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E46 M3

2015 X5d. My BMW app on phone and website both show nothing (plugging in VIN on recall site, and BMW site says no open recalls). No notice in the mail yet (10/5). I find it hard to believe my particular VIN doesn't have the affected pump. Did BMW have a second one out there of some mysterious brand/pedigree? Nothing in my carfax to indicate PO had a major engine failure and it was replaced before. Just give it time...or call dealership and see if their system shows something else?
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2021, 11:02 PM   #28
happydude
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 / F15 X5 35d

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesInSJ View Post
2015 X5d. My BMW app on phone and website both show nothing (plugging in VIN on recall site, and BMW site says no open recalls). No notice in the mail yet (10/5). I find it hard to believe my particular VIN doesn't have the affected pump. Did BMW have a second one out there of some mysterious brand/pedigree? Nothing in my carfax to indicate PO had a major engine failure and it was replaced before. Just give it time...or call dealership and see if their system shows something else?
I haven’t received anything nor does it come up when I put in my VIN. So it doesn’t appear mine is included in this recall. I looked up the recall and apparently there are only 6,389 X5 35d from 2014-2018 affected by this recall. Seems like a pretty low number. Maybe they will expand the recall. At least I haven’t been having any issues.

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/202...1V586-2864.PDF
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2021, 09:29 AM   #29
blue dragon
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: '22 Tesla MY + '23 Tesla MY

No recalls for my MY 17 35D
      10-06-2021, 04:41 PM   #30
XxBBVTMxX
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 35d, 2008 Lexus IS-F

Garage List
FYI..

A buddy of mine just took his TDI VW for this issue and they denied his warranty. They tested his Diesel & Oil and found that he had some additive in the tank so they are blaming him and will not be changing it.

Although different make, something to think about for us using additives.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2021, 05:50 PM   #31
Clifton
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Cars with tires

2017 (March build) Recall letter received “remedy unavailable”
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2021, 02:16 PM   #32
crystalworks
Captain
Rep
Drives: Many BMW's

Quote:
Originally Posted by XxBBVTMxX View Post
FYI..

A buddy of mine just took his TDI VW for this issue and they denied his warranty. They tested his Diesel & Oil and found that he had some additive in the tank so they are blaming him and will not be changing it.

Although different make, something to think about for us using additives.
Yep. I keep posting that everywhere just in case. I've read (fortunately no personal experience) BMW does the same thing. They look for water and/or additives. Even without being included in the recall, BMW has extended the pump warranty on the rest to 120,000 miles. I don't want to jeopardize that using additives.

Will certainly be doing so after 120k though.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2021, 07:05 AM   #33
Autostocks
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5d

2018 x35d recalled

New member to the forum, as I was looking for info on this recall.

Took our 18 x35d (77k miles) into the dealer to have some scheduled maintenance done and was surprised to find this recall had been issued. Had not received anything previously in the mail. However, the vehicle has been exhibiting one of the symptoms - occasional rough idle or running rough under light load - but no warning light. So I'm hoping this replacement does the trick.

Am kind of aggravated about how long it's taking, though. This will be day 3 that the dealer has had it, and no promise it will be done today either ("it's a complicated repair").

Furthermore, no loaner offered. We split our time between Michigan and Florida. The car was purchased in Michigan (Fox in Traverse City), but we are certainly good service customers of the dealer in Florida (Fields in Lakeland). Let me also say that all of our dealings with both dealers have been excellent. Just surprised that if they're going to take your BMW for 3+ days for a recall, they don't offer you something else to drive.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2021, 08:52 AM   #34
happydude
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 / F15 X5 35d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autostocks View Post

Took our 18 x35d (77k miles) into the dealer to have some scheduled maintenance done and was surprised to find this recall had been issued. Had not received anything previously in the mail. However, the vehicle has been exhibiting one of the symptoms - occasional rough idle or running rough under light load - but no warning light. So I'm hoping this replacement does the trick.

Am kind of aggravated about how long it's taking, though. This will be day 3 that the dealer has had it, and no promise it will be done today either ("it's a complicated repair").

Furthermore, no loaner offered. We split our time between Michigan and Florida. The car was purchased in Michigan (Fox in Traverse City), but we are certainly good service customers of the dealer in Florida (Fields in Lakeland). Let me also say that all of our dealings with both dealers have been excellent. Just surprised that if they're going to take your BMW for 3+ days for a recall, they don't offer you something else to drive.
A few years ago during the EGR cooler recall it took nearly 3 weeks to get the parts. They were out of loaners but at least gave me a rental car. Maybe you could ask for a rental car? I only go to the dealer for recalls so I am not considered a VIP customer.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2021, 06:32 AM   #35
Autostocks
United_States
Rep

Got the car back. Dealer charged BMW $2,300!
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2021, 10:31 PM   #36
M3HNGRY
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '18 AW X5 35d Msport

Quote:
Got the car back. Dealer charged BMW $2,300!
What was replaced? Part numbers?
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2021, 08:38 AM   #37
Autostocks
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3HNGRY View Post
What was replaced? Part numbers?
1 13-51-7-824-476 High Pressure Pump:135010
1 13-53-7-823-483 Pressure Hose Assy:135040
1 13-53-7-823-484 Pressure Hose Assy:135040
1 11-61-8-571-005 Gasket Steel:118523
1 11-61-8-512-504 O-Ring:889520
6 11-61-8-507-335 Profile-Gasket:118523
1 11-61-7-801-943 Profile-Gasket:118523
1 11-61-8-513-295 Profile-Gasket:118523
1 11-14-8-576-339 Screw Plug:11209510
4 07-14-6-954-889 Hex Screw with Collar:889520

Removed air intake and air box, hood cowling, electric fan, intake manifold, and high pressure lines. Removed high pressure pump bracket. Unable to break free pump drive bolt, spins pump when trying. Removed underbody panel and installed flywheel locking pin. Removed and replaced high pressure pump. Reassembled vehicle. Connected to battery charger and performed vehicle test. Performed fuel system bleed test plan. Cleared fuel system adaptations. Test drove.
Appreciate 3
      01-23-2022, 11:31 AM   #38
F87 S55
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
HPFP "Remedy is Available" letter

As a follow-up, I received a second letter from BMW/NHSTA stating there is a remedy available for my 2018 X5d. I called the dealership and they verified the part is in hand and it coded to my VIN number on the parts invoice. They are busy and my requested Master Mechanic is pretty booked so I won't take it in until Feb 1, 2022.
Interestingly enough, the letter states "the PHFP will be replaced for free which could take about an hour." This is complete BS as my buddy, who is the dealerships' top tech, says the job is coded for 3.0 hours and from experience is closer to that than 1 hour.
Will update with my experience afterwards.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2022, 11:41 AM   #39
F87 S55
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

Furthermore, no loaner offered.
Just surprised that if they're going to take your BMW for 3+ days for a recall, they don't offer you something else to drive.
Interesting it took so long considering the recall letter stated it would only take an hour to complete the replacement. That, of course, is incorrect as my buddy who is my local dealerships' top master tech, says the job is rated at 3.0 hours in the book. So, not sure why yours took days to complete.

My 2018 X5 35d only has 28K miles and is still under factory warranty as well as a CPO warranty. I have found some dealership will not provide a loaner unless you are funder warranty, other will. Loaners are available to the dealerships based on performance and inventory. Our local dealership as almost no inventory and very few loaners. I have several BMW's so I opted not to bother with a loaner for a same day repair. That said, for a recall, you should still be offered a loaner no matter your warranty situation. Just my opinion.....
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2022, 04:52 PM   #40
RhinoComp
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 Competition 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by F87 S55 View Post
Interesting it took so long considering the recall letter stated it would only take an hour to complete the replacement. That, of course, is incorrect as my buddy who is my local dealerships' top master tech, says the job is rated at 3.0 hours in the book. So, not sure why yours took days to complete.

My 2018 X5 35d only has 28K miles and is still under factory warranty as well as a CPO warranty. I have found some dealership will not provide a loaner unless you are funder warranty, other will. Loaners are available to the dealerships based on performance and inventory. Our local dealership as almost no inventory and very few loaners. I have several BMW's so I opted not to bother with a loaner for a same day repair. That said, for a recall, you should still be offered a loaner no matter your warranty situation. Just my opinion.....
I think a lot of the dealers won't give a loaner car for jobs that aren't more than a "half day" of work (At least that's what I've found for the dealers around Greater Seattle). So since they state it's only an hour job, they don't need to give a loaner to me. Screws me out of my car for a defect repair, and there's a good chance that they don't finish it timely, just from what I've seen on some of the social media groups.

I wholeheartedly agree a loaner needs to be available for warranty work no matter how long it's supposed to take. Recall shouldn't mean I have to wait around a dealership and take a half day off work.
Appreciate 1
F87 S55158.00
      01-26-2022, 08:02 PM   #41
Autostocks
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by F87 S55 View Post
Yeah, I have no idea. Maybe they had to wait for parts.

In any case, it has run great since the repair, with no more occasional hesitation. Going on 85k miles now.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2022, 09:08 PM   #42
F87 S55
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
HPFP Recall Completed.

Got my HPFP warranty work completed yesterday. Took about 3.0-3.5hrs as my mechanic/buddy kept getting interrupted to help train his junior techs. Do not believe the 1.0 hour time quote on the recall paperwork, almost all of them say that. No issues as at, he checked for carbon buildup which was zero and said it pretty much looked like he was working on a brand new unit.

Here are some quick pictures he took for me after he pulled old one out. Said it was pretty much like new, no issues at all, but warranty!!
Attachment 2803724

Attachment 2803725
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
Clifton221.50
      12-29-2023, 11:11 AM   #43
Clifton
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Cars with tires

Adding detail to this thread for others who are subscribed or stumble on it looking for clues or more HPFP information. Below is an account of what I believe to be the signs of a failing HPFP.

Background:
2017 X5d with 46K miles that is included in the EGR and HPFP recall. Remedies for both were unavailable for an extended period, so given the low mileage I haven't been overly alarmed and figured I'd schedule service when both were available.

Symptoms:
Over the last few months, I swear I've felt slight variations of RPM under steady throttle, but I assumed it was my imagination. Since the last oil/filter and engine air filter service in Sep '23, the X5d's fuel mileage has only been getting better (30MPG to 30.2MPG lifetime avg). On a recent 6 hour road trip, the X5d yielded 36MPG both directions @70MPH.

Fast forward to Christmas morning, I went on an 8hr road trip and noted the X5d felt like it needed a heavier throttle to keep pace, like driving into a headwind. Usually at speed it only requires a light maintenance throttle. The deeper I got into the journey the more the fuel mileage eroded from 33MPG to 31MPG. The complete opposite of normal behavior and assumed it was due to weather conditions (rain and wind).

Cruising along at 70MPH and in the far right lane, a car is accelerating to merge onto the interstate. To my left was a Semi and I found I was sandwiched and not able to give up the lane. To avoid a side-to-side, I overrode cruise control with more pedal and felt the X5d stutter. Assumed the CC was trying to defeat the increased speed to stay on set target. I barely outpaced the merging car and got a WTF from the driver as I waved sorry.

Later on a highway section of the trip, a stoplight changed to yellow at 60MPH to which I reacted with full throttle. The X5d responded with a downshift and the RPMs swept up to 4.5K but did not go any faster. Then it sputtered, then surged, and then feeling like a clog broke free the RPMs began to climbed normally. Houston, we have a problem....

Final confirmation the issue was repeatable under heavy load - I passed a car doing 30 in a 55 on a two-lane road and the X5d kicked down a gear but stumbled and sputtered as the RMPs climbed above 4k. Bummer....

Thankfully, the X5d made the return trip home (500miles) without incident, no CELs, 37.2 MPG and 63.7 MPH average. I did so by limiting throttle input and adjusting to road conditions for zero engine load; I was the guy in the slow lane getting passed by semis.

Called the local dealer and the earliest they can see me is in 2 weeks if I want a loaner. Or I can drop it off and I'm on my own for transportation until they can squeeze it early. I expressed that I suspected the HPFP was about to let go and if it does, it will grenade the whole system costing more. The best they could do was an Uber ride home from dealership. Whomp whomp....

Resolution: Currently no codes or CELs and will have to wait it out by limiting usage and driving moderately until it goes in for both Recalls. To be continued....

Appreciate 1
F87 S55158.00
      12-30-2023, 01:48 PM   #44
///d
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15 35d M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clifton View Post
Over the last few months, I swear I've felt slight variations of RPM under steady throttle, but I assumed it was my imagination. Since the last oil/filter and engine air filter service in Sep '23, the X5d's fuel mileage has only been getting better (30MPG to 30.2MPG lifetime avg). On a recent 6 hour road trip, the X5d yielded 36MPG both directions @70MPH.
How on earth are you getting 30+ mpg at 70mph?! I won't see over 30 until I'm under 60mph, and then I see 32ish at best...

My Diesel Information Thread | My Wheels, Tires, and Fitment Thread | My Teardrop Camper Build | My F15 Suspension Lift Thread
Appreciate 1
F87 S55158.00