01-03-2014, 08:54 AM   #1
jbwitt
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5

First road trip report (long post)

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
This is a sapphire black on black dakota xline x35i. It had 400 miles on it before it was time for our first family road trip. I took some notes during the trip and thought some other people may be interested. I'll say right up front that the car performed extremely well and any complaints I have are just nit picks. This is my first BMW so some of this stuff may be well known to you all. This car is configured to be a soccer mom car. Not the "ultimate driving machine."

miles driven: 2157
time spent driving: 42:42
avg mpg: 22.7 - I was over 6000 lbs with family and cargo, so I consider that good. Average highway mpg was 23.8.
avg speed: 52.0 mph

Multi contour seats: This is probably my favorite option on the car. I have back issues but even after 12 straight hours of driving I had no pain. Well worth the money.

ACC: My second favorite option. I spent most of my time with the cruise on 78 and 1 click of distance control. This made highway driving pretty boring. The system performed so well that sometimes my wife couldn't tell it was on. If I have one complaint I would say it can be a little too aggressive with the accel/decel, even in eco pro mode. When I was just a few mph off of my target speed it would hit the brakes or downshift.

Profiles: This may be my biggest complaint and has occurred since we bought the car. The wrong profile is loading sometimes. Eventually I figured out it's because we park in a garage and do not lock the car when it's in there. As the manual states, the profile is loaded when the car is UNLOCKED. But if the car isn't locked between drives, it will not load a different profile. BMW: come on! This logic is all wrong! If there is only 1 fob detected on start, then that profile should be loaded. If there are 2, then it should load the one that last opened the driver door (if comfort access is on the car). However, even after realizing this limitation and manually selecting the right profile, sometimes the seats do not reposition correctly. Many times I've had to re adjust my seat for my profile. I'm not sure what's going on there but I'm considering taking it to BMW and demonstrating the problem.

I'm slightly paranoid with a new car so sometimes on the trip I would try to lock the car multiple times with the fob. But the car will not beep or flash the headlights on subsequent fob locks. All is does is turn on the interior lights for a few seconds which can't be seen during the day. BMW: the car should beep/flash EVERY time I press that lock button on the fob!

Once, when ACC was engaged, I bumped the shifter. The car went into neutral and the ACC redlined the tach. I tapped the brake to disengage the ACC and then put the car back in drive without any problem. Operator error, obviously, but it did make me wonder what would have happened if I had accidentally pressed the Park button. I wasn't about to try it, so I'll just assume that the car is smart enough to not let you put it into park at 80 mph.

My 8 year old daughter dropped an SD card between the seats in the back. It fell down into the seat belt enclosure. This is an enclosure with large opening around the seat belt latch. After 30 minutes of trying to fish it out, my 5 year old daughter walked over and used her little hand to retrieve it in 3 seconds flat. BMW: these enclosures need a rubber boot around them to keep stuff from falling in there.

HUD: Another great option. I loved it on the trip, especially when it would draw navigation info. My only complaint is that it has a very small viewing angle. If you're off center of the headrest even by a couple of inches then it will clip the slides of the HUD images.

This car is very quiet on the highway. The lack of wind noise is amazing. I will probably ditch the run flats in the future and get regular tires to make it even quieter.

If there is one option that I wish I had purchased it is the panoramic cams. The reverse camera is great, but having the others would give me a lot more confidence that I wasn't about to squish a kid in a parking lot.

I've read a few posts complaining about the behavior of the steering at high speeds. I think that must be a result of the M sport wheels and tires, because my car is very well behaved at high speed. It was easy to keep it in the lane. I do not have any steering or suspension upgrades (except for rear air suspension because I have the 3rd row).

Speaking of the 3rd row, we used it once. I put my 2 kids back there. They got car sick because the seat is so low they couldn't see out the front windshield. It will rarely be used so no big deal.

Blind spot detection: The car doesn't have any blind spots so I'm glad I didn't spend money on that one.

The navigation system is pretty good overall. I did have a couple of cases where addresses could not be found or the locations of points of interest were way off. I do have a nit pick... BMW: if guidance is active then the next instruction should always be displayed on the main nav screen. I know it's on the HUD, and I also know you can put the "arrow" display up on the split screen to get this info (it took me a good 1000 miles before I figured that one out). But I really think that info should be on the main nav screen.

I love tech, but I have no interest in audio upgrades, so I have the base sound system. It did a good job on the trip. I love how the preset buttons can be set to do just about anything.

Rear entertainment: There was no way I was paying that much for that option. I plan on getting 2 android tablets for a fraction of the price that do a lot more than that system can do. For now the kids are very happy with their headrest DVD players, Ipods, DS's, etc.

I'm very happy that none of the idrive controls are locked out when the car is in motion. Very good move, BMW. Maybe this is normal for you. I have been known to beat the dash of my Lexus for locking the controls while the car is in motion.

Several times I would get out of the car and go back to let my daughter out, only to find that her door was still locked and it wouldn't auto unlock for me even though I had the fob in my pocket. BMW: I want all the doors to unlock when the car is put into park. There is probably a way to code that up. I'm not sure.

I also want to be able to close the liftgate with the fob. Several times during the trip this would have been very useful. I know that's available in some countries - why not in the US?? Don't give me any legal BS because my brother's 2014 Ford Explorer has this capability. I've used it myself.

Instrument cluster: Overall very good. However, BMW: the compass rose in the middle should be persistent, regardless of whether or not it is selected in the speedo info box.

Climate: Also very good. But sometime I didn't quite understand what the system was trying to do. When "auto" was engaged I would feel warm air blasting up from the floorboards and cool air coming out of the dash vents at the same time. ?? The heated seats will roast your butt if you're not careful. I think the 3rd row vent is just a fan. I never felt any cool air coming out.

Door seals: I've never had an issue with my door seals turning inside out.

Auto wipers: I only mention these because they work better than the ones on my '07 Lexus. The auto wipers on the Lexus aren't quite as responsive as these are.

Lane departure: I only turned it on once to test it. The only time I would use this system is if I was driving late at night and wanted to make sure I didn't fall asleep. Otherwise it's just an annoyance.

The sun roof is awesome. I've had a sun roof on my past 4 cars, but this is the only one I've ever wanted to open. Once, though, we opened it and some trapped water somewhere flew all over everybody in the car.

The whole family very much appreciates all the DC charging ports on the car. At one time we had devices plugged into 5 ports.

So in summary, the family loves the car. We just have some minor complaints. I look forward to the next road trip. I may update this post as I remember other details.

==========================================
EDIT. I remembered more details.

Auto Start/Stop - If there was a way to permanently disable the feature I would do it. I didn't need the manual to tell me that this feature may "lead to premature wear on some components". No kidding. I should have mentioned that I had this feature OFF way up at the top in the gas mileage info.

Lighting - I have the standard lighting. The interior lighting is very good on the car. I really like the fact that the rear has separate lights for each passenger and even my kids can reach them. Ambient lighting on a car is kind of silly if you ask me. But the kids like it and my wife appreciated that when it's dark outside she had enough light to prowl through her purse. If it wasn't standard I wouldn't have bothered. Another thing I noticed the first time I drove in the dark - EVERY button is back lit whether it's on the steering wheel, the console, dash, overhead, everything. I never knew what I was missing.

Sun Shades - My kids love them, therefore I like them. In our previous SUV the sun would really bother the kids in the back seat. They would put the windshield shades on their door windows. No longer. However, they are a little difficult to latch at the top for kids. Many times I thought I heard gunshots in the back but it was just the sunshade snapping back into position. I hope they last.

Comfort Access - Several times I couldn't get the doors to lock with the "button" on the outside door handles. I think the range on the radios could be greatly improved because on my Lexus it can sense me coming from 8 feet away. How do I know? Because it turns on the courtesy lights for me.

Liftgate - The auto open feature is nice, but it takes too long. My wife gets annoyed and pulls on it, which will deactivate the motors and force her to open it the rest of the way manually. I get it - it's a safety thing. But, BMW, it could be a LITTLE faster. I know, how about making it settable in idrive? The custom height setting is a great feature. Also, BMW, listen up... the top of the rear "bumper" needs a plastic strip like the quarter panels. My paint will be scratched up in no time due to the luggage and equipment that's constantly pulled in and out of the back. This would also be helpful in case you had to put a foot up there. That paint is super slippery when wet.

The little wheel on the steering wheel is a great little feature. After I showed my wife how to use that to select radio stations and songs she fell in love with the HUD.

FOB - I like it. I can feel the buttons without looking at it. But it could be a little smaller. That thing is a monster.

The doors on this car are very long. I am constantly reminding the kids to be careful to not whack other cars with them in a parking lot. The car being quite a bit wider than my previous SUV doesn't help either.

==========================================

Update 6/6/14 - I've had the car for 6 months so I thought it was time for an update. In April I had the car coded. Some of the more notable things I had changed were:

- Enable Rear camera while driving. This also enables the trailer zoom feature. Pretty nice, but it has a small side affect of not auto-turning off after shifting from reverse to drive until it times out after a minute or so.
- Disable all legal disclaimers. Very happy to have these gone.
- Enable Tire Pressure & Temperature Readings.
- Disable Seat Belt Chimes. Thank God. That chime was driving me nuts.
- Close Windows & Sunroof With Key Fob
- Fold/Unfold Side Mirrors With Key Fob
- Unlock doors when car is turned off. Only seems to work half the time. Not sure what's going on there.
- Close trunk with Key fob.
- Default ACC distance to 1 click.
- Lower temp in cooled seats. I was hoping this would have more of an effect. But the cooled seats just don't work well.

Mileage is around 20 overall. I'm very happy with that. The car is almost always in Comfort mode because that's the default.

I continue to be disappointed by the nav system. It has gotten me lost on multiple occasions with directions that are just plain
wrong. I hate falling back on the 12 year old Garmin, but it works 99% of the time. I've had Nav systems built into 3 cars. All of them were sub par. Why can't they get this right? I think they just need to pay Garmin a billion dollars and partner up.

I've become addicted to the HUD. When I drive other cars I find myself always looking for it. Especially for changing radio stations and media.

Profiles - Ahhh the profiles. This feature needs work. Sometimes the seats won't adjust per the profile. Sometimes it adjusts only 2 or 3 parameters, sometimes it does nothing at all, even if I manually select the profile. And if my wife and I are both in the car with FOBs, then that really confuses it.

I had the passive Invisihitch installed. Great purchase. Highly recommend.

I also put the roof rails on so my wife can carry her paddle board around (SUP for all your Floridians). The rails are decent quality and look really good. But they make a LOT of wind noise. Sometimes I have to close the sunroof because they are so loud.

I've never had any real mechanical or electrical issues. I've never seen a check engine light or had the door seals flip out. Most of my disappointments come from the software. (I'm a software engineer.)

I've noticed in the past couple of months that the tranny is shifting just slightly rougher when going from 1-2 under very light acceleration. I'll have the service center look at that when I take it in but I don't suspect anything is wrong.

I had a small problem with the front floor mats. The velcro patches that are glued to the bottom came off; I assume because the floor made them hot. This caused the mats to become loose and shift around the floor. I sewed the patches back on myself and solved the problem.

This is my first black car. What was I thinking? I don't have time to wash this thing every week.

Most of these new comments are negative because that's what stands out in my mind when I write these things. So I want to reiterate that overall we are very happy with this car. It has one of the nicest interiors I've ever seen. The whole drive train is excellent. The technology needs help but it's still better than anything else out there in my opinion. Idrive is very impressive. I never want a touch screen in my car again. It is family friendly with the exception of the the poor third row, which is to be expected, and the lack of recline in the second row. But even the kids love the car.

Last edited by jbwitt; 06-06-2014 at 02:07 PM.. Reason: 6 month update
Appreciate 2
      01-03-2014, 09:22 AM   #2
originalgoods13
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: Chevy Spark

Just took delivery and after driving 200 miles, the car has been solid and highway driving was smooth.

I have the Premium Package and 3rd Row Package (rear air suspension Standard)

My stock tires are the Goodyear LS2 (as opposed to the Pirelli's) with Treadwear 400 Traction A Temperature A

YMMV if you have different tires and suspension
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2014, 09:37 AM   #3
barcelona
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: X

Great way to test the seats road trip, and your MC seats were painless.
Glad you got all the options you wanted.
Yes HUD with Nav is great, I also like speed limit info.

Yes, if the mirrors are set up correctly there is no blind spot in that the passing is visible at all times in either the rear or side mirror. However, I find that the view from shoulder check is limited maybe because of the large B pillar or based upon my specific seat setting. I do find Blind spot detection most useful.

Door unlock for All doors & to lock with flashing lights and beep are in settings pg 43 of manual.
http://f15.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=910364
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2014, 12:52 PM   #4
bradbragg
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 sDrive 35i

Thumbs up Great review

I don't own a 2014 X5 yet, but plan to buy one in the next 6 months or so.

Great review and ideas. This is exactly the kind of feedback BMW should pay attention to
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2014, 01:23 PM   #5
jbwitt
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by barcelona View Post
Door unlock for All doors & to lock with flashing lights and beep are in settings pg 43 of manual.
http://f15.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=910364
Thanks. I've read over the manual but nothing addresses the specific complaints that I had.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2014, 01:27 PM   #6
gblansten
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 23 Tesla S Plaid

Great post. Getting feedback from someone in the real world who has the new X5 is invaluable.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2014, 01:33 PM   #7
NoPII
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 XM Label

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbwitt View Post
Thanks. I've read over the manual but nothing addresses the specific complaints that I had.
Yeah, the BMW alarms / locks don't offer a "confirmed locked" function. You'll only get a beep/flash for the transition from unlocked to locked. After that, it's just the courtesy lighting function (or turning off the motion detectors for the first few seconds after first lock).

Such a feature would be helpful tho....
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2014, 01:49 PM   #8
barcelona
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: X

Quote:
The make the fob beeping/flash with each depression: I never pressed a second time, so maybe it is only once as you observed. I normally use comfort access/touch the handle to see the pins drop/lock. (I reread your issue, and now see what you are saying)

For the unlocking (you s/be able to unlock all doors); mine all open

Unlocking
The setting is stored for the remote control
currently in use.
1. "Settings"
2. "Doors/key"
3. Select symbol or "Unlock button:"
4. Select the desired function:
▷ "Driver's door only"
Only the driver's door and the fuel filler
flap are unlocked. Pressing again unlocks
the entire vehicle.
▷ "All doors"
The entire vehicle is unlocked.
Depending on how the vehicle is equipped or
the country-specific variant, you can set
whether the doors are also unlocked with the
button on the remote control.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2014, 02:34 PM   #9
jbwitt
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by barcelona View Post
For the unlocking (you s/be able to unlock all doors); mine all open
Yes, I have it set up to open all doors when any unlock button is pressed. Here's the minor complaint I had... when I put the car into park, then open my door (no buttons pressed), then walk back to the rear door to open it for my daughter, her door is locked. If I press my unlock button on the driver door, it will open all locks. I just need to get into the habit of doing that. My Lexus will auto unlock all doors whenever the car transitions to park, so that's just what I'm used to.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2014, 02:51 PM   #10
x5x2
Private
England
Rep
Drives: BMW G05

Garage List
does it open when you switch the engine off?
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2014, 06:32 PM   #11
jbwitt
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by x5x2 View Post
does it open when you switch the engine off?
No. These are the only ways I've found to unlock the doors:

1. Press unlock on the key fob. This unlocks all 4 doors per my profile setting.
2. Use the comfort access door handles from the outside, which opens all 4 doors.
3. Press unlock on any interior door panel which opens all 4 doors.
4. Open any door from the inside, which unlocks that specific door.

I've never seen the doors unlock under any other circumstance. If they unlocked when the engine switched to off or the tranny was put into park then the that would be great.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2014, 07:15 PM   #12
dn325ci
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2004 BMW 325Ci

Thanks for taking the time to put down your experiences, jb. Very helpful.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2014, 08:46 PM   #13
Needsdecaf
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2024 G80 Comp xDrive

For your climate woes, adjust the red blue blend wheel /s on the dash. If in the middle, it follows the auto programming. If on red or blue, you override the setting. Great feature, but confusing to new BMW owners.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2014, 09:33 PM   #14
MysticBlue
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: '20 M5C, '09 M3 DCT Coupe

Quote:
No. These are the only ways I've found to unlock the doors:

1. Press unlock on the key fob. This unlocks all 4 doors per my profile setting.
2. Use the comfort access door handles from the outside, which opens all 4 doors.
3. Press unlock on any interior door panel which opens all 4 doors.
4. Open any door from the inside, which unlocks that specific door.

I've never seen the doors unlock under any other circumstance. If they unlocked when the engine switched to off or the tranny was put into park then the that would be great.
Don't know about the X5 yet, but previous BMW's I've owned are the same as you describe. Because it annoyed me so much, I set the door locks to NOT lock automatically when driving. I assume this can be done in the X5, but maybe you don't want to do that for safety reasons.
M3: Active Autowerke filter, Dinan underdrive pulley, Dinan full exhaust and software, 3.45 Differential, Springs, Brakes, Dinan/HRE wheels, 275/30-19 w/10mm spacer, 295/30-19 w/3mm spacer, painted front reflectors, 30% tint, Escort 8500i & Lidar Jammer, LUX H8 V5 halos, Euro rear foglights, 3M ClearBra.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2014, 05:38 AM   #15
Zipforia
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW i8

Talking

Quote:
Multi contour seats: This is probably my favorite option on the car. I have back issues but even after 12 straight hours of driving I had no pain. Well worth the money.
Agree

Quote:
ACC: My second favorite option. I spent most of my time with the cruise on 78 and 1 click of distance control. This made highway driving pretty boring. The system performed so well that sometimes my wife couldn't tell it was on. If I have one complaint I would say it can be a little too aggressive with the accel/decel, even in eco pro mode. When I was just a few mph off of my target speed it would hit the brakes or downshift.
Was originally going to get it, but cancelled it. Now regret it.

Quote:
Profiles: This may be my biggest complaint and has occurred since we bought the car. The wrong profile is loading sometimes. Eventually I figured out it's because we park in a garage and do not lock the car when it's in there. As the manual states, the profile is loaded when the car is UNLOCKED. But if the car isn't locked between drives, it will not load a different profile. BMW: come on! This logic is all wrong! If there is only 1 fob detected on start, then that profile should be loaded. If there are 2, then it should load the one that last opened the driver door (if comfort access is on the car). However, even after realizing this limitation and manually selecting the right profile, sometimes the seats do not reposition correctly. Many times I've had to re adjust my seat for my profile. I'm not sure what's going on there but I'm considering taking it to BMW and demonstrating the problem.
I have couple of suggestions here. I personally don't do this since I drive the car most of the time.

1) Can have Profile Selection page load up on vehicle start on iDrive, so that you can choose the correct profile from the start. Not the best option, but beats going into Setting and choosing the proper Profile every time.

2) You mention parking inside your garage as I do, and I don't lock my car inside either. However, this might workout for you. Again, I haven't tried this.

In the Settings, under Door/Keys (Automatic Locking), there is a "Lock if no door opened" option. I'm not 100% sure because I haven't used this feature yet, but if my understanding is correct, after parking the car in the garage and after you exit, if the doors remain closed, it will automatically lock the door (assuming the car isn't stupid enough to lock the doors if it detects a key fob inside the car). Now, since you have Comfort Access, when anyone with designated key fob opens the door by tugging on the handle, the doors will open and the associated Profile will load. Give this a try and see if it works, if you haven't already.

Quote:
I'm slightly paranoid with a new car so sometimes on the trip I would try to lock the car multiple times with the fob. But the car will not beep or flash the headlights on subsequent fob locks. All is does is turn on the interior lights for a few seconds which can't be seen during the day. BMW: the car should beep/flash EVERY time I press that lock button on the fob!
I agree. So, I lock my door like barcelona to get a visual confirmation.

Quote:
BMW: these enclosures need a rubber boot around them to keep stuff from falling in there.
Agree. I hate not being able to retrieve things that have fallen between seats!

Quote:
HUD: Another great option. I loved it on the trip, especially when it would draw navigation info. My only complaint is that it has a very small viewing angle. If you're off center of the headrest even by a couple of inches then it will clip the slides of the HUD images.
I haven't had this issue. I guess I keep my head straight when I drive. However, I did have to get a new pair of sunglasses because polarized sunglasses didn't let the HUD through.

Quote:
This car is very quiet on the highway. The lack of wind noise is amazing. I will probably ditch the run flats in the future and get regular tires to make it even quieter.
I agree with you here as well. However, I did notice some excessive wind noise from the A-Pillars and side view mirrors when I had the stereo turned off. Maybe it was just me being too sensitive.

Quote:
If there is one option that I wish I had purchased it is the panoramic cams. The reverse camera is great, but having the others would give me a lot more confidence that I wasn't about to squish a kid in a parking lot.
I agree. I have this feature and I am very glad I got it. One of my favorite features.

Quote:
I've read a few posts complaining about the behavior of the steering at high speeds. I think that must be a result of the M sport wheels and tires, because my car is very well behaved at high speed. It was easy to keep it in the lane. I do not have any steering or suspension upgrades (except for rear air suspension because I have the 3rd row).
I have M-Sport with DHP. My steering if fine. Very stable, even in Comfort Setting. I've taken the car close to 100mph (in a well controlled closed course road with all the safety measures in place, for all the law enforcement forum members that are reading this..)

Quote:
Blind spot detection: The car doesn't have any blind spots so I'm glad I didn't spend money on that one.
I have this, and don't mind it. It keeps my lazy ass from getting into an accident when I don't turn my head all the way to check my blind spots. The only thing I don't like is the vibrating steering wheel when I accidently cut someone off too close. The orange triangle on the side view mirrors flash, which I don't mind, but the steering wheel vibration is a little too much.

Quote:
The navigation system is pretty good overall. I did have a couple of cases where addresses could not be found or the locations of points of interest were way off. I do have a nit pick... BMW: if guidance is active then the next instruction should always be displayed on the main nav screen. I know it's on the HUD, and I also know you can put the "arrow" display up on the split screen to get this info (it took me a good 1000 miles before I figured that one out). But I really think that info should be on the main nav screen.
I agree. I actually prefer a "List View" on the side of the map, which tells me what my next 3-4 instructions are. I had this on my Audi and have it on my wife's minivan. I guess "Arrow View" is the closest thing to this.

Quote:
Rear entertainment: There was no way I was paying that much for that option.
I don't have this feature either, and my kid, who's 2 y.o. prefers the wife's minivan with rear entertainment over my car because of this. I did get her an iPad mini, which she loves. She likes to get on YouTube and watch her Baby Genius videos. This means her iPad has to be tethered to my phone to access the internet. And I'm not going to sign her iPad up on an internet plan just for YouTube. So, for me, this might have been a good option.

Quote:
I'm very happy that none of the idrive controls are locked out when the car is in motion. Very good move, BMW. Maybe this is normal for you. I have been known to beat the dash of my Lexus for locking the controls while the car is in motion.
I agree. My Audi made me click "Ok" or "Accept" like 4 times before I can dial a number and make a call while I was driving.

Quote:
Several times I would get out of the car and go back to let my daughter out, only to find that her door was still locked and it wouldn't auto unlock for me even though I had the fob in my pocket. BMW: I want all the doors to unlock when the car is put into park. There is probably a way to code that up. I'm not sure.
I agree. This is a bit annoying.

Quote:
I also want to be able to close the liftgate with the fob. Several times during the trip this would have been very useful. I know that's available in some countries - why not in the US?? Don't give me any legal BS because my brother's 2014 Ford Explorer has this capability. I've used it myself.
I agree. My wife's Odyssey also does this.

Quote:
Instrument cluster: Overall very good. However, BMW: the compass rose in the middle should be persistent, regardless of whether or not it is selected in the speedo info box.
I don't mind the compass disappearing so much. But what I am starting to feel is that, with HUD, having a LCD dash seems a bit pointless.

Quote:
The heated seats will roast your butt if you're not careful.
I believe there's a range in the Settings that you can dial down the temperature of the Heated Seats.

Quote:
Door seals: I've never had an issue with my door seals turning inside out.
This happened to me once. Since then, nothing. Or at least nothing I've noticed.

Quote:
Lane departure: I only turned it on once to test it. The only time I would use this system is if I was driving late at night and wanted to make sure I didn't fall asleep. Otherwise it's just an annoyance.
Again, I turned mine off due to the steering wheel vibration. I wish it would just have a visual notice only option, like the Collision Warning.

Quote:
The sun roof is awesome. I've had a sun roof on my past 4 cars, but this is the only one I've ever wanted to open.
I agree. The Panoramic roof is nice. However, I still haven't gotten use to the long closing and opening of sun shade. It just seems to go on and on. I have one question. If know the answer to this, please let me know. When the roof is tilted up, and just want to close the tilt, is there a way to do this without almost completely closing the sun shade? When I try to close the tilt by clicking the sun roof button forward, the tilt closes, but the sun shade also closes completely. I just want the tilt to close without the sun shade closing.

Overall, I like the car very much, except for the fact that everyone and their mother wants to cut me off since I'm in a SUV. Other than that, it's great. I'm trying to figure out how to send directions or address via Google Maps. This will be a cool feature I'd use all the time.

Great review!

Z.

Last edited by Zipforia; 01-04-2014 at 05:48 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2014, 08:51 AM   #16
RickP
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 Comp/DCT

Very nice write-up. Agree on the MC seats and ACC as favorite options. I do agree the ACC is a little aggressive in it's accel/decel. I'll add a little commentary of the subjects you mentioned.

RES: I had rear entertainment on my E70 and got it on my F15. It doesn't make much economic sense but it solves one of my greatest challenges when driving - little kids. Pop in a DVD and it's like kid kryptonite. Hearing the movie on the HK is not too bad either. Tablets are nice but you've got to worry about charging, mounting, and data if you want streaming. Probably more susceptible to theft and if you carry them out of the car, it's another thing to carry back to the car. To each his own.

NAV: I find it easier to whip out my phone and use Google Maps in the city. I do use the Navigation for long trips though.

2011 Frozen Grey E92 M3
http://rpollak.com
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2014, 09:20 AM   #17
MysticBlue
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: '20 M5C, '09 M3 DCT Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zipforia View Post
2) You mention parking inside your garage as I do, and I don't lock my car inside either. However, this might workout for you. Again, I haven't tried this.

In the Settings, under Door/Keys (Automatic Locking), there is a "Lock if no door opened" option. I'm not 100% sure because I haven't used this feature yet, but if my understanding is correct, after parking the car in the garage and after you exit, if the doors remain closed, it will automatically lock the door (assuming the car isn't stupid enough to lock the doors if it detects a key fob inside the car). Now, since you have Comfort Access, when anyone with designated key fob opens the door by tugging on the handle, the doors will open and the associated Profile will load. Give this a try and see if it works, if you haven't already.
The "Lock if no door opened" setting wouldn't help in this scenario. It only works if you first lock it with the fob, so you might as well just use the fob to unlock anyway. The way this setting works is if you unlock it, and no door opens within a certain period of time (2 minutes, 5 minutes, I don't remember) it will relock. This is to prevent you from locking your vehicle but as you walk away, accidentally pushing the unlock button as you put your key in your pocket, for instance, and unknowingly leaving your vehicle unlocked. If you do accidentally unlock it, and no door opens, it will relock after a certain period of time. Just a FYI, it does not re-arm the alarm, only relocks the doors. At least that's how it works in my current and previous rides.
M3: Active Autowerke filter, Dinan underdrive pulley, Dinan full exhaust and software, 3.45 Differential, Springs, Brakes, Dinan/HRE wheels, 275/30-19 w/10mm spacer, 295/30-19 w/3mm spacer, painted front reflectors, 30% tint, Escort 8500i & Lidar Jammer, LUX H8 V5 halos, Euro rear foglights, 3M ClearBra.

Last edited by MysticBlue; 01-04-2014 at 09:31 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2014, 09:26 AM   #18
dn325ci
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2004 BMW 325Ci

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickP View Post
...RES: I had rear entertainment on my E70 and got it on my F15. It doesn't make much economic sense but it solves one of my greatest challenges when driving - little kids. Pop in a DVD and it's like kid kryptonite. Hearing the movie on the HK is not too bad either. Tablets are nice but you've got to worry about charging, mounting, and data if you want streaming. Probably more susceptible to theft and if you carry them out of the car, it's another thing to carry back to the car. To each his own.
I agree with you. That's probably the last remaining reason to go with in-car RES - little kids who can't responsibly manage and use a tablet yet. Even if you have the back-of-the-seat iPad holder, my kids when they were 1-5 years old couldn't operate a tablet reliably on their own.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2014, 10:44 AM   #19
sirajkas
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 2014

Great review...
Zip, you mentioned you have dhp. Can you share your opinion about it? You think it's worth the money? I'm sure many people over here want to know.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2014, 11:12 AM   #20
archivedaccount
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dn325ci View Post
I agree with you. That's probably the last remaining reason to go with in-car RES - little kids who can't responsibly manage and use a tablet yet. Even if you have the back-of-the-seat iPad holder, my kids when they were 1-5 years old couldn't operate a tablet reliably on their own.
If you have an ipad and iphone, the ipad can be controlled from the iphone using an app. Play movies, music, pause rewind, volume etc. works really well.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2014, 11:18 AM   #21
chrisny
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaglesrest
Quote:
Originally Posted by dn325ci View Post
If you have an ipad and iphone, the ipad can be controlled from the iphone using an app. Play movies, music, pause rewind, volume etc. works really well.
Are you talking about the "Remote" app? For some reason I haven't been able to control the ipad with that only Apple TV.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2014, 11:24 AM   #22
archivedaccount
Rep
n/a
Drives:

No, it's called 'tango remote'. Install it on each device and it connects via Bluetooth.
Appreciate 0