BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

01-13-2014, 05:00 PM   #1
originalgoods13
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: Chevy Spark

500 km's later...

Some moron decided to side-swipe my X5. X5 is 11 days old. Culprit managed to damage my fender, bumper, 3M, and a piece of the headlight.

I was parked at the corner of an intersection, leaving plenty of space before the stop sign, by law at least 3 meters or ~15 feet. I could only assume it is either a dump truck, big pick up truck, UPS, or even the Parking Authority vehicle with the camera attached on a mount behind their vehicle...

Appreciate 0
      01-13-2014, 05:08 PM   #2
barcelona
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: X

Oh boy. Hit and run. As they say what goes around comes around.
At least the front quarter panel will not rust.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2014, 08:49 PM   #3
newbimmerx5
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Very Sad. Hopefully, you will get flawless fix.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2014, 09:04 PM   #4
creaminz
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 LCI

sorry to see! damn it!!
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2014, 09:12 PM   #5
BMWMN1971
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X5 xDrive35i MSport

Oh boy!!!!! So sorry to see that. Hope you get it back to like new very soon. Is that Black Sapphire?
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2014, 10:06 PM   #6
daeONE
Private
Rep
Drives: F15 35d Msport

What a bummer! Hope your body shop makes it disappear!
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2014, 02:07 AM   #7
Zipforia
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW i8

Nothing pisses me off more than POS drivers who don't respect other people vehicles!

I had an idea that, with all the cameras the vehicle has, and the hard drive or SD card readers some cars have, instead of using these for music storage (which not a lot of people do), why can't someone make a motion detector (like how old car alarms activated when it was bumped) and have these cameras turn on when the vehicle is bumped and start recording on the HDD? Sure, the camera might get a license plate or might not, but it at least has the possibility of capturing the culprit. Also, these cameras can be manually or automatically be turned on while driving so if there is a hit and run while driving or there is a dispute in an accident, now you have proof. It'll kinda be like the integrated dash cams that a lot of Russian drivers have. Just a thought.

Sorry about your F15.

Z.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2014, 03:20 AM   #8
Armen383
First Lieutenant
Cyprus
Rep
Drives: Mercedes-Benz E63S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zipforia View Post
why can't someone make a motion detector (like how old car alarms activated when it was bumped) and have these cameras turn on when the vehicle is bumped and start recording on the HDD?
Not unless that someone is the car manufacturer. I believe it'll require too much reverse engineering to manage that by a 3rd party (if that's even possible), warranty voiding, etc. So at present the only option is to buy 2+ video recorders (a lot of those have motion/shock detectors already), install them inside the car, wire them either to an additional power source (again, needs to be installed) and have them on record 24/7.

There's also an option to actually wire those or to a car battery, but since the system drains a lot of power, you'll need to have a special "box" installed in between which will cut off power to the recorders as soon as the car battery level drops below some X point (and that's when one might get hit and whole system will be rendered useless - so the only proper choice in an additional power source).
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2014, 04:06 AM   #9
Baunton
Major
England
Rep
Drives: X5 45e 2021

Quote:
Originally Posted by originalgoods13 View Post
Some moron decided to side-swipe my X5. X5 is 11 days old. Culprit managed to damage my fender, bumper, 3M, and a piece of the headlight.

I was parked at the corner of an intersection, leaving plenty of space before the stop sign, by law at least 3 meters or ~15 feet. I could only assume it is either a dump truck, big pick up truck, UPS, or even the Parking Authority vehicle with the camera attached on a mount behind their vehicle...

Painful .

What's a 3M?
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2014, 05:49 AM   #10
barcelona
Major
Canada
Rep

As stated by Zipforia, the F15 has Event Data Recorder. It is for recording in crash situations to determine how well the cars safety systems functioned.

Maybe someday, soon additional cameras.

^^ 3M, is a clear car wrap protection.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2014, 06:26 AM   #11
Baunton
Major
England
Rep
Drives: X5 45e 2021

Quote:
Originally Posted by barcelona View Post
As stated by Zipforia, the F15 has Event Data Recorder. It is for recording in crash situations to determine how well the cars safety systems functioned.

Maybe someday, soon additional cameras.

^^ 3M, is a clear car wrap protection.
As in 3M the Scotch Tape people?

Thanks...did not know you had the option in NA to wrap it up a car in cling film.
You learn something new everyday.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2014, 08:18 AM   #12
dn325ci
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2004 BMW 325Ci

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baunton View Post
3M is a much bigger company than Scotch Tape. They are well known for adhesives and films, among other things.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2014, 09:12 AM   #13
originalgoods13
Captain
Canada
Rep

Yes, it is a pain in the ass. What is worse is dealing with insurance for a Hit and Run instance and te Deductible you have to cough up.

Police report has been filed and noted, I am just crossing my fingers someone comes forward and I can find and charge the culprit.

I have been reading that whether "at fault" or "NOT at fault" claims will cause your insurance premium to go up on your next Renewal.

I have been contemplating if I should just pay Out of Pocket, rather than having a Record for 6-10 years.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2014, 09:15 AM   #14
originalgoods13
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zipforia View Post
Nothing pisses me off more than POS drivers who don't respect other people vehicles!

I had an idea that, with all the cameras the vehicle has, and the hard drive or SD card readers some cars have, instead of using these for music storage (which not a lot of people do), why can't someone make a motion detector (like how old car alarms activated when it was bumped) and have these cameras turn on when the vehicle is bumped and start recording on the HDD? Sure, the camera might get a license plate or might not, but it at least has the possibility of capturing the culprit. Also, these cameras can be manually or automatically be turned on while driving so if there is a hit and run while driving or there is a dispute in an accident, now you have proof. It'll kinda be like the integrated dash cams that a lot of Russian drivers have. Just a thought.

Sorry about your F15.

Z.
I do have a Blackvue dashcam DR400G-HD but not currently hard-wired to my battery. Collisions like this would not probably register on the dashcam's G-Meter

I guess it will be a good investment to have it hard-wired, along with its proprietary "black box" where it cuts off power once it senses low battery.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2014, 09:30 AM   #15
Shaw
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5 35d | 2019 X3 30i

Garage List
this is really painful...i hear you...
but you know sadly, no matter how much you take care and pay attention, others don't necessarily do...example? the trolleys that are left in the parking lots of supermarkets...some people are so lazy that don't bother putting them back in their rows...and what happens is, it ends up hitting other parked cars that thought have parked in a safe area...that happened to my X3...I'm sure it still will as long as people don't respect other people's belongings...
I hope you get it fixed as soon as you can...I hate to see someone driving this car in this situation...
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2014, 05:07 PM   #16
barcelona
Major
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Yes, it is a pain in the ass. What is worse is dealing with insurance for a Hit and Run instance and te Deductible you have to cough up.

Police report has been filed and noted, I am just crossing my fingers someone comes forward and I can find and charge the culprit.

I have been reading that whether "at fault" or "NOT at fault" claims will cause your insurance premium to go up on your next Renewal.

I have been contemplating if I should just pay Out of Pocket, rather than having a Record for 6-10 years.

If you bypass insurance and pay yourself , even though the damages look small but it will all add up. Generally Insurance do not raise your rates on a hit and run, however if one has multiples then they can raise your rates as one becomes high risk.

I had a noticeable indentation on my lexus when it was 2 months old. Never fixed it, as the indent and scratches did not go to the metal, to me original paint is the best. Kept it for 10 years with eyesore. For F15 hood is aluminum and front quarter panel is thermoplastic, no rust. Hence maybe just paint over/ buff the qtr panel. For some they want the car pristine. Others like me would leave it as there will at some point be more dings and pings. Naturally, it sucks being so brand new and you parked it properly.

Forum has lots of insurance discussions: hopefully useful
http://forums.redflagdeals.com/automotive-f40/

Last edited by barcelona; 01-14-2014 at 05:09 PM.. Reason: typo
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2014, 05:16 PM   #17
barcelona
Major
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baunton View Post

Thanks...did not know you had the option in NA to wrap it up a car in cling film.
You learn something new everyday.
I don't use it. Maybe this is what original goods 13 had applied.
http://3mcollision.com/products/feat...ody-protection

I use to put on the plastic visors. Now nothing, as if I protect the hood, I am sure the other unprotected sides/rear of car will get dents over time.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2014, 05:38 PM   #18
daeONE
Private
Rep
Drives: F15 35d Msport

[QUOTE=barcelona;15269447]If you bypass insurance and pay yourself , even though the damages look small but it will all add up. Generally Insurance do not raise your rates on a hit and run, however if one has multiples then they can raise your rates as one becomes high risk.

I had a noticeable indentation on my lexus when it was 2 months old. Never fixed it, as the indent and scratches did not go to the metal, to me original paint is the best. Kept it for 10 years with eyesore. For F15 hood is aluminum and front quarter panel is thermoplastic, no rust. Hence maybe just paint over/ buff the qtr panel. For some they want the car pristine. Others like me would leave it as there will at some point be more dings and pings. Naturally, it sucks being so brand new and you parked it properly.

I have used paintless dent repair numerous times. If there in no paint damage, someone good at this can completely reverse the damage as if it never happened. I have paid as little as $100 for a small door ding to $250 for multiple and larger dents.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2014, 06:23 PM   #19
leasehackr
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5, 530e

Quote:
I do have a Blackvue dashcam DR400G-HD but not currently hard-wired to my battery. Collisions like this would not probably register on the dashcam's G-Meter

I guess it will be a good investment to have it hard-wired, along with its proprietary "black box" where it cuts off power once it senses low battery.
I'm installing this 2 CH front and rear on day one (when I will get F15, mine not in production yet

http://lukashd.com/eng/product_info/blackbox_14_1.html

It's motion activated even on parking, has battery backup so its not draining main battery and wide 135' angle.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2014, 06:25 PM   #20
leasehackr
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5, 530e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armen383 View Post
Not unless that someone is the car manufacturer. I believe it'll require too much reverse engineering to manage that by a 3rd party (if that's even possible), warranty voiding, etc. So at present the only option is to buy 2+ video recorders (a lot of those have motion/shock detectors already), install them inside the car, wire them either to an additional power source (again, needs to be installed) and have them on record 24/7.

There's also an option to actually wire those or to a car battery, but since the system drains a lot of power, you'll need to have a special "box" installed in between which will cut off power to the recorders as soon as the car battery level drops below some X point (and that's when one might get hit and whole system will be rendered useless - so the only proper choice in an additional power source).
It's has all of the above, motion detector, power cut off switch etc. etc.
http://lukashd.com/eng/product_info/blackbox_14_1.html
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2014, 06:50 PM   #21
barcelona
Major
Canada
Rep

[QUOTE=daeONE;15269648]
Quote:
If you bypass insurance and pay yourself , even though the damages look small but it will all add up. Generally Insurance do not raise your rates on a hit and run, however if one has multiples then they can raise your rates as one becomes high risk.

I have used paintless dent repair numerous times. If there in no paint damage, someone good at this can completely reverse the damage as if it never happened. I have paid as little as $100 for a small door ding to $250 for multiple and larger dents.
Thanks for sharing your experiences with PDR, also really inexpensive.
Minimal downside as paint will not crack/peel off if properly performed.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paintless_dent_repair.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2014, 06:57 PM   #22
originalgoods13
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
I don't use it. Maybe this is what original goods 13 had applied.
http://3mcollision.com/products/feat...ody-protection

I use to put on the plastic visors. Now nothing, as if I protect the hood, I am sure the other unprotected sides/rear of car will get dents over time.
Clear bras or plastic film protection is a big business here in Canada as we use sand, rocks, and salt on the road during winter. Multiple Rock chips on your bumper are common here and to wrap your bumper and some parts of the fender and hood can cost $1000 CAD
Appreciate 0