BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW X5 and X6 Forum (F15/F16) > BMW X5 (F15) and BMW X6 (F16) Forum > BMW X5 and X6 (F15/F16) Forum

07-28-2017, 03:58 PM   #133
cobra006
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F15 X5 35D

I can only see the media and telephone software version , not sure if that has anything to do with system software.

media: MN-003.009.004
phone: TN-003.009.004

I hope that helps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kr0m3assass1n View Post
@cobra006 can you please let us know what software version your F15 is running now?

This east coast summer is brutal with the pathetic A/C performance.

Appreciate 1
      07-28-2017, 04:07 PM   #134
Habs11
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35i

I don't have an issue with the temp or airflow - but in western NY we only have a few days a year into the 90s. I love it cold and I have been saitisfied. I do have two questions:

1) in the AM when I leave for work (X5 is in garage), the air blows very cold for a short time - to me it's like the A/C kicks on automatically. None of the indicator lights come on but this very cold air goes away to just normal cool air in 30 seconds or so.

2) i've only had mine for a month or so - twice i've had the A/C on for 15 mins plus and turned it off... after turning off for 15 mins it seems to smell bad (like feet). my wife is very sensitive to smells and says it's just normal after turning off the A/C but IMO it's not because the smell gets worse after about 15 mins. anyone else experience this?
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2017, 05:43 PM   #135
clemsonee
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X35d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs11 View Post
I don't have an issue with the temp or airflow - but in western NY we only have a few days a year into the 90s. I love it cold and I have been saitisfied. I do have two questions:

1) in the AM when I leave for work (X5 is in garage), the air blows very cold for a short time - to me it's like the A/C kicks on automatically. None of the indicator lights come on but this very cold air goes away to just normal cool air in 30 seconds or so.

2) i've only had mine for a month or so - twice i've had the A/C on for 15 mins plus and turned it off... after turning off for 15 mins it seems to smell bad (like feet). my wife is very sensitive to smells and says it's just normal after turning off the A/C but IMO it's not because the smell gets worse after about 15 mins. anyone else experience this?
You should swing by the dealer and have them take a look. The AC in my 2015 x35d stopped blowing cold a couple of months ago and turns out the main AC coolant line had a small leak in the coupling/crimp (rubber to metal) and had evacuated all the refrigerant. They replaced the line, charged and pressure checked the system and it blows (relatively) cold again. As many of you have stated in this thread, the HVAC system is terrible and might be the worst of any car I've owned. And for a luxury auto that's unacceptable. I love just about everything else about the X5 but this might be it's weakest link.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2017, 09:08 PM   #136
TOPEC
<3 Flat Four
Canada
Rep
Drives: 335is LM Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs11 View Post
this is pretty much normal on 99% of the cars out there. reason being with the ac blowing cold, all the pipes gets cold, once u turn off the ac weather with the fan still blowing or not, condensation starts forming within the pipes as the pipes warm up to temp. this leads to bacteria/mold growth within the pipes leading to the smell. a good practice is to turn off the ac but have the fan still blowing about 10mins before shutting off the car, this way u can a bring the pipes back up to temp quickly and dry out any condensation that built up. look into a product made by wurth, forgot what the name is exactly. it comes in the form of a can that u open and let it spray out while the ac is running in recirc mode to circulate that chemical throughout the ac system. tried it once before and it got rid of the smell 99%.
      07-30-2017, 08:49 AM   #137
expidia
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5 35i

I know there are the BMW diehards out here that of course say "My AC works fine, never had an issue with it". Or "I've owned 10 BMW's and never had AC issues".

That well may be, but not with my 2016 X5.

Well I know when something is wrong with this AC's design as this is the first car I've ever had (including renting many other new car brands for long trips) that has climate control and
with my X5 I can't just leave the temperature on say 72 and it keeps it near 72 . . . never has, not since the warm weather arrived here in the Northeast.

This car has never done that for me. I'm constantly fiddling and adjusting the controls to feel comfortable, but its always just not right. I've never had a climate control system this bad at claiming to be fully automatic.

Even my Wife who doesn't even know how to adjust her Audi's climate control because she just sets a temp and forgets that she even has climate control.
Yesterday, for a 1/2 hour ride as a passenger in my X5 she was constantly fiddling with her side to get comfortable and it was only like in the 70's outside.

For my 2016's $60,000 MSRP . . . I'm really thinking for my next upgrade in 2 years to be looking at an Audi like my Wife's Q5 only a Q7. I have to say for the money Audi's are one of the best luxury car deals out there as they come with most options as standard. I doubt that I can go with BMW because they won't even address its inherent climate control issue or admit there is one.
I usually buy cars 1-2 years old so I'd be looking at the same AC issues, unless its corrected in at least the 2018 models.

I was lucky, mine is a basic model and the previous owner must have upgraded to a next level package which gave me a review camera. Come on now . . . who sells a new car now a days "without" a review camera . . Who? BMW thats who.
And yet they cheap out on a rearview camera . . . but can't even get the AC designed correctly.

I've read the manual for AC operation when I first got the X5 back in Feb, but will re-read it again to see if there is some way I can get it closer to auto mode leaving it on 72 and forgetting about it

Last edited by expidia; 07-30-2017 at 09:03 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2017, 09:15 AM   #138
Kr0m3assass1n
kr0m3assass1n
United_States
Rep
Drives: 22 X7 M50i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by expidia View Post
I know there are the BMW diehards out here that of course say "My AC works fine, never had an issue with it". Or "I've owned 10 BMW's and never had AC issues".

That well may be, but not with my 2016 X5.

Well I know when something is wrong with this AC's design as this is the first car I've ever had (including renting many other new car brands for long trips) that has climate control and
with my X5 I can't just leave the temperature on say 72 and it keeps it near 72 . . . never has, not since the warm weather arrived here in the Northeast.

This car has never done that for me. I'm constantly fiddling and adjusting the controls to feel comfortable, but its always just not right. I've never had a climate control system this bad at claiming to be fully automatic.

Even my Wife who doesn't even know how to adjust her Audi's climate control because she just sets a temp and forgets that she even has climate control.
Yesterday, for a 1/2 hour ride as a passenger in my X5 she was constantly fiddling with her side to get comfortable and it was only like in the 70's outside.

For my 2016's $60,000 MSRP . . . I'm really thinking for my next upgrade in 2 years to be looking at an Audi like my Wife's Q5 only a Q7. I have to say for the money Audi's are one of the best luxury car deals out there as they come with most options as standard. I doubt that I can go with BMW because they won't even address its inherent climate control issue or admit there is one.
I usually buy cars 1-2 years old so I'd be looking at the same AC issues, unless its corrected in at least the 2018 models.

I was lucky, mine is a basic model and the previous owner must have upgraded to a next level package which gave me a review camera. Come on now . . . who sells a new car now a days "without" a review camera . . Who? BMW thats who.
And yet they cheap out on a rearview camera . . . but can't even get the AC designed correctly.

I've read the manual for AC operation when I first got the X5 back in Feb, but will re-read it again to see if there is some way I can get it closer to auto mode leaving it on 72 and forgetting about it
While I have the same issue with the X5, I don't think it affects me enough to change my entire car. Albeit, poor A/C performance is an important issue.

However, I don't think it's right to generalize it to all BMWs. My F10 LCI has a crazy powerful system, I can't even set it to 74F long enough before I start feeling chilly.

And yes, I have to keep my X5 at 70F in Auto mode 3 with Sync on just to be comfortable.

If I were using your analogy, I'd never own a single Audi because they are liars & cheaters (#dieselweasels).
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2017, 10:19 AM   #139
expidia
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kr0m3assass1n View Post
While I have the same issue with the X5, I don't think it affects me enough to change my entire car. Albeit, poor A/C performance is an important issue.

However, I don't think it's right to generalize it to all BMWs. My F10 LCI has a crazy powerful system, I can't even set it to 74F long enough before I start feeling chilly.

And yes, I have to keep my X5 at 70F in Auto mode 3 with Sync on just to be comfortable.

If I were using your analogy, I'd never own a single Audi because they are liars & cheaters (#dieselweasels).
I can't generalize because this X5 is the only BMW I've ever owned! I was basically responding to other posts in this same thread where others were complaining with past models. And this is an X5/X6 forum. I'm sure other models have similar issues as to a weak AC design.

As to an Audi . . . I luv the way the X5 handles and the pep and power of the engine plus the smoothness of the 8 speed transmission. But the X5 has been around since I think 2009 and other luxury brands now give us the same features that Audi and others includes as standard in a 10,000 less MSRP at least with Audi. Most of the new luxury brands now have copied BMW X5's success and some also have their own 8 speed transmissions.

I drove my Wife's last night on a 30 min trip north of us. And I never even thought about her AC until today as it just does climate control the way it should.
I gotta tell ya her Q5 is really well appointed and a plush ride.
Before she bought the Audi, i had her test drive the BMW X3 and but she wanted a softer ride and more comfort and luxury. You will find the Audi's hard to beat. I'll be the first to look at an Audi Q8 when its finally out. Then I might snag one after its a year old like i did with my 2016 X5 if I'm not happy with the X5 down the road.

$60,000 BMW list with no rear camera or leather interior as standard and a weak and confusing AC system . . . boggles the mind how BMW thinks they can get away with it? This is why I see a lot of Audi's, Range Rovers, Mercedes and Porche SUV's on the road now . . . as BMW has left the door open for others to increase their market share. I've watched the test reviews on youtube and clearly some of these other brands are giving great performance at a better value. Just my opinion after 6 months with my X5.

Of course BMW owners will put down Audi's. I wouldn't be surprised when people sling mud at others brands and yet probably have never even driven one

Last edited by expidia; 07-31-2017 at 10:48 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2017, 08:38 PM   #140
expidia
First Lieutenant
Rep

Geez . . . now tonight I was driving home from a 45 min drive up north and it was 87 degrees out. I had to turn the vents away from me because it was set at 71 degrees and the air was blowing and freezing on my hands on the wheel.

Why does it work differently on different days and different temps?
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2017, 08:57 PM   #141
turboawd
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by expidia View Post
Geez . . . now tonight I was driving home from a 45 min drive up north and it was 87 degrees out. I had to turn the vents away from me because it was set at 71 degrees and the air was blowing and freezing on my hands on the wheel.

Why does it work differently on different days and different temps?
You say tonight. Was it dark out?
It seems with the sun shining in, things really heat up.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2017, 09:16 PM   #142
mnx5er
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X5 3.5i

Quote:
Originally Posted by turboawd View Post
One huge thing with the X5 is the sunroof. It lets a ton of sun and heat in during the summer since it is so large. If I under my open air ramp at work, the X5 cools off very quickly even when it is hot. Today I left it out in the sun most of the day and it took a while to cool down when it was 86 outside.

Of course the difference is that cabin is much warmer when it sits in the sun.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2017, 09:56 PM   #143
expidia
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by turboawd View Post
Was driving around to a few outdoor malls and it was 87 degrees around 5 pm but not the cars fault as I was just hanging in parking lot with the windows open and it was brutal out.

But around 6:30 it was 85 degrees and I was back on highway doing 65 mph and the AC was freezing.

I meant late afternoon, not tonight . . . thx for catching that.
Not only does the windshield radiate heat while I'm driving I noticed most of the heat wafting into my face is from the black dash. And it takes awhile for that dash to cool down after its parked.

Must be unbearable for any car in places like FL, arizona etc. Black on black probably an unwise choice.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2017, 10:47 PM   #144
DuSh
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F15 X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Optherion View Post
This is my 9th BMW. Probably 20th car I have owned.

Its a 2017 X5 50i V8 loaded. Hell; should have bought X5m but thats another story.

The air conditioning takes a HOUR to cool down the car. Located in Arizona and today is 108 degrees. Car has NEVER cooled down all day. After a hour in the car, I'm still sweating. I have the damn air conditioned ventilated whatever seats. They suck. Don't buy them; save your money guys. Car is Silver. Limo tint all around. I used a sun shade. I'm out of ideas and its been serviced 3 times for the AC not getting cold.

Does anyone else with the V8 have issues with their cooling system or suggestions that live in hot climates? Car going in for service again. By far the worst AC of any car I have ever owned. The sad part of everything is the AC just absolutely doesn't cool the car down when outside temp is 90+ The uber driver picked me up in a black corolla from the dealer since they had no rental cars and I about froze my ass off in the backseat. Trying to get suggestions here as Im ready to get rid of this thing after 5 months.

UPDATE: 6/21/2017

I posted later in the thread that I did some major research on the air temps.

Supposed to have car back today and they think they narrowed it down to a fix.

If this is the fix I would probably highly advise against the "Rear seat air controls option"

Curious which cars dont have it vs the ones that got the upgrade. You will know because It has the display screen and fan adjustment on the rear center console.
Mine is V8 and has rear seat controls with temp and I don't have any issues like you describe. Today car was sitting in a 104F hot garage and it cooled down in 5 min to the level that I turned blower to second to minimal setting to not get cold
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2017, 11:39 PM   #145
Kewl X5
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuSh View Post
Quote:
This is my 9th BMW. Probably 20th car I have owned.

Its a 2017 X5 50i V8 loaded. Hell; should have bought X5m but thats another story.

The air conditioning takes a HOUR to cool down the car. Located in Arizona and today is 108 degrees. Car has NEVER cooled down all day. After a hour in the car, I'm still sweating. I have the damn air conditioned ventilated whatever seats. They suck. Don't buy them; save your money guys. Car is Silver. Limo tint all around. I used a sun shade. I'm out of ideas and its been serviced 3 times for the AC not getting cold.

Does anyone else with the V8 have issues with their cooling system or suggestions that live in hot climates? Car going in for service again. By far the worst AC of any car I have ever owned. The sad part of everything is the AC just absolutely doesn't cool the car down when outside temp is 90+ The uber driver picked me up in a black corolla from the dealer since they had no rental cars and I about froze my ass off in the backseat. Trying to get suggestions here as Im ready to get rid of this thing after 5 months.

UPDATE: 6/21/2017

I posted later in the thread that I did some major research on the air temps.

Supposed to have car back today and they think they narrowed it down to a fix.

If this is the fix I would probably highly advise against the "Rear seat air controls option"

Curious which cars dont have it vs the ones that got the upgrade. You will know because It has the display screen and fan adjustment on the rear center console.
Mine is V8 and has rear seat controls with temp and I don't have any issues like you describe. Today car was sitting in a 104F hot garage and it cooled down in 5 min to the level that I turned blower to second to minimal setting to not get cold
2015 X5 50i, live in the desert, even when 100F, AC cools within 5 minutes. But usually set temp 66-68F, auto highest level and even have rear climate 4 zone running. It was freezing my hand and face in 15-20 minutes that I had to turn the temp up or fan down

The key is to get the car moving.

With that in mind, our 2001 X5 seems to have bigger vents and move more volume of air though and also gets cold really fast.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2017, 04:50 AM   #146
Kr0m3assass1n
kr0m3assass1n
United_States
Rep
Drives: 22 X7 M50i

Garage List
Maybe it has something to do with outdoor humidity levels? Different flow restrictors?

Or maybe some of us are just too warm blooded lol.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2017, 04:45 PM   #147
Optherion
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Prancing Horse

Posted update on Main Page First Thread.

AC was fixed and worked great all summer. I am happy.

Definitely going to think twice next time I build / order a car with rear seat controls and 3rd row air. My previous F10 worked so well without any rear climate ! I get BMW wants to give everyone options, but all of the controls, ended up screwing things up. Rear would be on heat while front was on AC! LOL. I just want to hit "Cold" and it become a fridge inside.

Last edited by Optherion; 09-29-2017 at 04:54 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2017, 08:09 PM   #148
Geddy
Rep
Drives: 2018 X5 xDrive35i

We picked up a 2018 35i with third row about 2 weeks ago and the A/C performed perfectly in the hot and humid weather we recently had. It got so cold inside that we had to keep increasing the temperature and lowering the fan.

My wife loves a/c, she runs it year-round in temps that most people wouldn’t use it, and she has mentioned how impressed she is with it on several occasions. Definitely high praise coming from her.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2017, 03:42 AM   #149
DuSh
Colonel
Rep

OP you posted a thread with a strong title basically condemning x5 AC as worst, and yet turns out it was fixed and all is good eh? smh
I know what I would have done: avoided claims that I know little of
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2017, 12:20 PM   #150
Optherion
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Its still the worst AC of any car I have owned. Yes I will repeat that. The AC in this car has gone from terrible to acceptable.

Auto never functions right and the "work" around was disabling features I paid for.
      09-30-2017, 02:40 PM   #151
DuSh
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Optherion
X5 has worst air conditioning system of any car I've ever owned
Quote:
AC was fixed and worked great all summer. I am happy.
Quote:
...and now it works fine. Temps are between 42-48 degrees when its 85 out. I see 50-55 temp difference from outside ambient. 110 Degree day I see ac around 55 even. Works great and problem solved.

FYI: If you are the only person in the car, and you want absolutely BEST ac results, you have to disable the rear AC controls in iDrive. Once done it will Kick the front blower motor even higher. You will hear it actually ramp up. I see 5 degree colder air temps in the front seats immediately. I only turn the rear AC vents on when I have passengers in the back.

Super happy with the car and will definitely think twice when I order / build something with 2nd and 3rd row controls. Just make it simple BMW!
Quote:
Its still the worst AC of any car I have owned. Yes I will repeat that. The AC in this car has gone from terrible to acceptable.
Auto never functions right and the "work" around was disabling features I paid for.

I understand you are a emotional, quick to judge person and start complaining at the first hint of issues, but sometimes a more calmer approach is wiser. I'm still not sure if the AC in x5 f15 according to you a absolutely worst, acceptable, fine or super happy/best? Wide range of emotions from 1 to 10 on a scale and back and forth and back again....

Last edited by DuSh; 09-30-2017 at 02:59 PM..
Appreciate 1
P111566.00
      09-30-2017, 10:56 PM   #152
spike5150
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

So it seems the only way to get our F15’s out of the front runner in this category of worst AC is to go buy a G30. Have been reading about a lot of complaints about AC.

Hope they get this resolved for the G05.

And I agree, AC leaves a lot to be desired in F15.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2017, 06:16 PM   #153
Optherion
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuSh View Post
I understand you are a emotional, quick to judge person and start complaining at the first hint of issues, but sometimes a more calmer approach is wiser. I'm still not sure if the AC in x5 f15 according to you a absolutely worst, acceptable, fine or super happy/best? Wide range of emotions from 1 to 10 on a scale and back and forth and back again....
LOL I love your personal analysis

I wont recommend anyone in a warm climate Summers over 100F+ even consider a F15 X5. I will be getting rid of mine after April.
      10-01-2017, 06:36 PM   #154
Scott2.0
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 50i and 2015 i3 REx

Quote:
LOL I love your personal analysis

I wont recommend anyone in a warm climate Summers over 100F+ even consider a F15 X5. I will be getting rid of mine after April.
I live in Phoenix and it’s been pretty decent, but it’s rarely parked in the sun. I wonder if that’s the difference. Or is yours a 35i? Could the smaller engine have a lower capacity compressor?
Appreciate 0