08-04-2017, 07:29 AM   #24
expidia
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai of 2day View Post
Serious question...

Do you guys believe that this scratch was put on my car deliberately because of the sunshade I keep in the car...?

Has that been something any of you habe experienced?

Just a little background, my car stays stationary in the same spot about 85% of the week most of the year because I use my bike for commuting most the time as long as there is low to no chance of precipitation with 40 degrees Fahrenheit in the north east.

Currently living in a private community with very wide streets and residents have to display parking passes or risk being towed without one.
Can you feel it indented when drawing your nail over it which would definitely be a scratch. But from the pic it looks more like paint transfer like from a kids bike or a shopping cart. If thats what it is you should try rubbing it off with some light duty rubbing compound like from turtle wax available in most stores on a damp washcloth or wet micro fiber cloth. Dont use the heavy duty or it will mar the clear coat.

Keying marks usually appear to start on one side deep and then trail off lighter as the assholes keep walking.

If a scratch thats really sad as thats a sharp looking ride

My fear with sunshades is they tend to draw unnecessary attention while parked unattended instead of staying under the sicko radar, especially if its sharp looking luxury vehicle. I almost want to keep mine dirty to blend in with some of the other shit boxes out there. Like I'd ever put the "gold" colored one from one of the links above and then leave it parked on a city street.

Last edited by expidia; 08-04-2017 at 07:48 AM..
Appreciate 1
      08-04-2017, 10:24 AM   #25
Samurai of 2day
Major
Rep
Drives: '22 X6M/'21 S1Krr

Quote:
Originally Posted by expidia
Quote:
Serious question...

Do you guys believe that this scratch was put on my car deliberately because of the sunshade I keep in the car...?

Has that been something any of you habe experienced?

Just a little background, my car stays stationary in the same spot about 85% of the week most of the year because I use my bike for commuting most the time as long as there is low to no chance of precipitation with 40 degrees Fahrenheit in the north east.

Currently living in a private community with very wide streets and residents have to display parking passes or risk being towed without one.
Can you feel it indented when drawing your nail over it which would definitely be a scratch. But from the pic it looks more like paint transfer like from a kids bike or a shopping cart. If thats what it is you should try rubbing it off with some light duty rubbing compound like from turtle wax available in most stores on a damp washcloth or wet micro fiber cloth. Dont use the heavy duty or it will mar the clear coat.

Keying marks usually appear to start on one side deep and then trail off lighter as the assholes keep walking.

If a scratch thats really sad as thats a sharp looking ride

My fear with sunshades is they tend to draw unnecessary attention while parked unattended instead of staying under the sicko radar, especially if its sharp looking luxury vehicle. I almost want to keep mine dirty to blend in with some of the other shit boxes out there. Like I'd ever put the "gold" colored one from one of the links above and then leave it parked on a city street.
It's sad, but true.

Most of us here on the forum take a sense of pride in our cars, while others see the action of protecting the interior and keeping the inside cool with a sun shade or parking far from the crowd as being pretentious.

You're most likely right. I was able to scrub out the black marking that was most likely made by a bicycle handle bar but there still seems to be a slight, barely noticeable discoloration left behind.

I was out of town for a few weeks but now that I'm back, I'm sure a good detail will get her back into shape!

As far as the sunshade, I too wish that the lettering wasn't displayed because it just draws unnecessary and unwanted attention from the wrong crowd.
      08-04-2017, 12:26 PM   #26
expidia
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5 35i

Quote:
It's sad, but true.

Most of us here on the forum take a sense of pride in our cars, while others see the action of protecting the interior and keeping the inside cool with a sun shade or parking far from the crowd as being pretentious.

You're most likely right. I was able to scrub out the black marking that was most likely made by a bicycle handle bar but there still seems to be a slight, barely noticeable discoloration left behind.

I was out of town for a few weeks but now that I'm back, I'm sure a good detail will get her back into shape!

As far as the sunshade, I too wish that the lettering wasn't displayed because it just draws unnecessary and unwanted attention from the wrong crowd.
Glad to hear it was just a transfer and not a scratch. Nowadays most cars look alike. Hard to tell my X5 from other SUV's on the road that have copied the X5 look.

So my feeling is stay low. or you might as well put a big icon of "the finger" on your sunshade because that big BMW logo is as you say pretentious and its just inciting the lowlife vermin out there.
Appreciate 1
      08-04-2017, 03:19 PM   #27
Kzang
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35i Msport SG

I agree with @Florida-X5 the scratch or whatever it is that is rubbed on the paint appears to be unintentional and simply an accident and the person doing was probably unaware of it.
      08-04-2017, 04:13 PM   #28
Florida-X3
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 x30i / '12 Infiniti M37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kzang View Post
I agree with @Florida-X5 the scratch or whatever it is that is rubbed on the paint appears to be unintentional and simply an accident and the person doing was probably unaware of it.
Actually in my rambling, I was thinking intentional at first but now that we have learned it's a transfer, might have been a bicycle handle or something like that. Intentional probably would have been a scratch and not a transfer.
Appreciate 0