BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

08-22-2017, 10:02 PM   #1
Jenya B
Lieutenant
Russia
Rep
Drives: Z4 , X5 F15d Msport

CANADA hotspot and connected drive

Hello friends please share your expirience with HOTSPOT activation and CONNECTEDDRIVE in Canada .

Looks like a BIG mess . Noone knows anything , AT&T USA have no idea how to solve problem with canadian cars . But all canadian cars equipped with AT&T USA sim cards .
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2017, 12:16 AM   #2
DuSh
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F15 X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenya B View Post
Hello friends please share your expirience with HOTSPOT activation and CONNECTEDDRIVE in Canada .

Looks like a BIG mess . Noone knows anything , AT&T USA have no idea how to solve problem with canadian cars . But all canadian cars equipped with AT&T USA sim cards .
Shouldn't in theory AT&T work (via roaming agreement) through Rodgers or Bell eh? When I was in great white north I had Sprint cellphone working via Rodgers - it was 3G only and speeds sucked big time, but it was at least workable for general browsing etc.

However, when I turned on for the first time my iPad with Sprint SIM - it didn't work - I was told I have to activate it first time in USA and then I can travel to Canada. Maybe it's similar with AT&T - have you tried it?
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2017, 01:30 AM   #3
sj22
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 14 F15 50I

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenya B View Post

I didn't know or ever hear of this being an option, even from my SA when I was pricing out a new 35i.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2017, 02:08 PM   #4
Jenya B
Lieutenant
Russia
Rep
Drives: Z4 , X5 F15d Msport

ok , over the phone GENIOUS guy from dealer did something on his computer and after that when you visit myvehicle.att.com it begins to show up your internal sim card number and message that your car ELIGIBLE for 3 gig for 3 months free but you have to fill up aplication , and right after that, when you just need click to PROCEED page got FROZEN . After like 5 attempts on/off reload browser , internet , i got into login page and finally connected to my account , guess what , it shows choose which plan you wanna BUY and ZERO info regarding ELIGIBILITY for my new X5 . I was so tired and bought 1 gig for 16 $ .

But it's not the end , cause HOTSPOT still doesn't work yet

I login back to the account and recieved message: OOPSSS something goes wrong comback later a again or call 1-800 number .

HollySSSSS**t .

after sign out an login again my account start showing GREEN account for 1 gig of data for 16$

this message i wrote from macbok connected to BMW HOTSPOT , finally it starts working .

By email i recieved invoice from AT&T not USA but CANADA with all contact numbers and address in Richmond Hill Ontario right next street from BMW Canada building , so tomorrow i'am going to call AT&T Canada .
Appreciate 1
DuSh2113.50
      10-25-2017, 11:29 AM   #5
bavaddict
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F32 435i MPerf Edit

OP Any update on this?
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2017, 12:28 PM   #6
artem123
Captain
Rep
Drives: G30

Look, i gave this up even while i am in US, and was able to set everything up nicely. First 3 month and first 3Gb is free, but then one needs to pay to add a car to ATT account. IMHO it is much easier to simply run hot spot on the phone I already have. BTW while i was using my free trial i tested network and speed very often and can assure for 100% that car's hotspot speed, and hotspot from my phone work identically. In another word, the car does not have a better signal or connection to ATT towers than my iphone.
      10-26-2017, 11:54 AM   #7
sj22
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 14 F15 50I

Anyone looked into OBD port plug-in options? I see rogers and telus selling these small gadgets that just plug into that port and provide wifi and tracking.

Past: 2013 750i xdrive, 2008 535xi
Appreciate 0