BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW X5 and X6 Forum (F15/F16) > BMW X5 (F15) and BMW X6 (F16) Forum > BMW X5 and X6 (F15/F16) Forum

09-15-2016, 02:09 PM   #23
hyde
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 X3m40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlafandSwen View Post
2016 Mazda CX9 signature, save some money and have fun driving.
Thanks, but I didn't think CX9 will be more fun than X5. How about QX60?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaw View Post
I've got the 3rd row for my X5 and it does the job (if you have kids sitting at the back seats)...I would never change for a Mercedes...
The new Q7 looks deceiving but eventually not my style...
So, X5 is still the one to go for....I too am waiting for X7 before I swap.
Could you share some pictures while it is being utilized? (You can PM me instead of posting here) I cannot find a single video on youtube or pictures of the X5 with 3rd row and back seats occupied. I see some pictures with 2nd row folded and someone sitting on 3rd row but it looks like there is virtually no leg room for young adults, as for kids, I'd keep the child seat on 2nd row.

I find it suspicious that even BMW did not include many videos/pictures with people on 3rd row. Ultimately, I would LOVE to stay with X5 and get 3rd row.
I also checked dealers, it looks like nobody has X5 with 3rd row in stock in NY./LI area.
      09-15-2016, 03:03 PM   #24
OlafandSwen
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 35X-line

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyde View Post
Thanks, but I didn't think CX9 will be more fun than X5. How about QX60?
haha not sure if you're trolling or not...Have you driven the CX9? Maybe you should, not X5 performance but it has excellent road feel. As for the QX60; I don't think its in the same league, it has a CVT to begin with.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2016, 06:30 PM   #25
Tripperhappy
is just a Regular guy
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 x25D and 640i Cabrio

Quote:

I find it suspicious that even BMW did not include many videos/pictures with people on 3rd row. Ultimately, I would LOVE to stay with X5 and get 3rd row.
I also checked dealers, it looks like nobody has X5 with 3rd row in stock in NY./LI area.
With the 2nd row adjusted onward, I can confidently say that people of height up to 5ft, can sit fairly comfortably on the 3rd row. Anything beyond that has a sliding scale, the max I think will be 5ft 5. Beyond that, you have to sit with the knee tilted to an angle, or knees apart.

I am awaiting delivery, but has test drove with my Mrs (She is 5 ft 5") in the 3rd row, and she is ok with it. My kids are 5ft 4" and 4ft 5" respectively and they are OK in the 3rd row.

Other than the XC90, new Q7 and LRD4, which in my mind gives the best 3rd row space, the X5 is not that bad and slightly less room 3rd seat than the CX-9. However, the CX-9 has a lower roof (and in Australia, only a small moonroof as option), the panoramic roof option in the X5 provides a better perception of space vs the CX-9.
      09-15-2016, 06:34 PM   #26
Tripperhappy
is just a Regular guy
Australia
Rep

Also, I have actually considered the Tesla X, but Australia tends to get it last, and also the lack of charging stations, long distance in around Australia and lack of dealership and warranty ruled that out. And the high starting costs, the base model Tesla X costs an equivalent X5 50i base level in Australia.

I am surprised folks that live in the states do not consider Tesla X. I think its a great 6/7 seater car.
      09-15-2016, 07:35 PM   #27
Mu5e
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripperhappy View Post
Also, I have actually considered the Tesla X, but Australia tends to get it last, and also the lack of charging stations, long distance in around Australia and lack of dealership and warranty ruled that out. And the high starting costs, the base model Tesla X costs an equivalent X5 50i base level in Australia.

I am surprised folks that live in the states do not consider Tesla X. I think its a great 6/7 seater car.
Tesla X is in price range of X5M, not quite comparable to regular X5
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2016, 09:11 PM   #28
iconoclast
Self-Deprecating Narcissist
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Audi BMW Ferrari LR MB

tesla x starts at 74k and tops out around 140k (iirc) so it plays in the same arena as the x5 all the way up to the 90D... after that it is in x5m territory.
pricing is the part to get accustom to... it's the looks and issues that are more difficult to settle on.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2016, 10:38 PM   #29
hyde
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Some news today;
http://www.bmwblog.com/2016/09/14/bm...ndered-design/
Do you guys think we may have a chance to see X7 on showrooms by early of '18? Doesn't look like, does it?

Is anything planned for X5 on '18 MY? Or nothing? I figured '18MY might be a LCI for F15.

I am going to stop by the Audi dealer to check the Q7, and one BMW dealer out in L.I. says they may have one in order with 3rd row that I can go and check if it's not picked up by the time I get there.
      09-15-2016, 11:18 PM   #30
Mu5e
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by iconoclast View Post
tesla x starts at 74k and tops out around 140k (iirc) so it plays in the same arena as the x5 all the way up to the 90D... after that it is in x5m territory.
pricing is the part to get accustom to... it's the looks and issues that are more difficult to settle on.
Sorry, I thought X starts at 100k ish
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2016, 12:54 AM   #31
Tripperhappy
is just a Regular guy
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mu5e View Post
Tesla X is in price range of X5M, not quite comparable to regular X5
In Australia, it starts from AUD110K before taxes, which is about USD80K.

The BMW X5 s25D starts from AUD90K before taxes, which is about USD60K.

Again, thats what's stated in the media, but I figured that the Tesla X would be totally barebone.
      09-16-2016, 10:38 AM   #32
Kzang
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35i Msport SG

I'd imagine the X7 would mirror the price range of the 7 series...
If that is the case.. you're going to have to reach deeper into your pockets..
      09-16-2016, 12:20 PM   #33
patrobX5
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2020 Volvo XC90 T8

Definitely the XC90 T8 hybrid if you want more power (0-60 5.3 sec) and much better fuel economy. Also has a larger 3rd row than Q7. And IMO looks much better than the fugly Q7 lol
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2016, 10:58 PM   #34
hyde
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kzang View Post
I'd imagine the X7 would mirror the price range of the 7 series...
If that is the case.. you're going to have to reach deeper into your pockets..
They will have to compete with GLS, so they can't price X7 in line with 7 series.
Very well equipped GLS is $75k before any rebates/discounts. 7 series starts at $85k for AWD.
      09-16-2016, 11:01 PM   #35
hyde
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrobX5 View Post
Definitely the XC90 T8 hybrid if you want more power (0-60 5.3 sec) and much better fuel economy. Also has a larger 3rd row than Q7. And IMO looks much better than the fugly Q7 lol
I think we'll get used to Q7, and it doesn't look that bad when you consider it to be a minivan instead of SUV with it's length and those wheel arches.
I like XC90, was going to go for a test drive tomorrow, suddenly realized the lack of Volvo dealers in the area! I just wished they kept more things with actual buttons instead of going all touch control on Volvo. That's one of the things I love about BMW.
      09-17-2016, 06:54 AM   #36
Magicmarker
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i

I owned a Land Rover LR4 before the X5, and the interior space is the best. Period. Full Stop. The 3rd row seats real adults, is easy to access, and has full features too - sunroof, cup holders, storage compartments, air vents. Seats fold flat into the floor when not used, yet you can store small items under the seat when it's up (first aid kit, etc.)

2nd row seats -also- fold flat to the floor unlike X5. Adjustable height suspension lowers the car which makes it easier to get in/out, especially for kids or older family members. Might also fit in your garage that way. I used it many times in older parking garages.

I am in the same position as you and LR4 space was/is unbeatable.

Of course, my X5 is -way- more fun to drive, better interior, better tech, etc. It would be tough for me to go back. 3rd row X5 seats are tiny, that's true. My 11 year olds like it back there sometimes and even my 13 year old (who is very tall) will sometimes hide out back there.

no easy answer on this one.
2020 M340i
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2016, 06:03 PM   #37
samguan
Private
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i Convertible

Nothing beats a mini van for comfort 3rd row seating. I've sat in GL350 and it's not that big inside. Recently I rented a grand caravan, with the stow and go seating, i really liked it. Would definitely get a caravan for family road trips and things like that.

The issue with SUV is that seats are higher and often times don't fold flat like a mini van.

I would keep the X5 and buy a mini van if we have another kid, we have one kid right now so the X5 is good for now.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2016, 11:34 PM   #38
hyde
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by samguan View Post
Nothing beats a mini van for comfort 3rd row seating. I've sat in GL350 and it's not that big inside. Recently I rented a grand caravan, with the stow and go seating, i really liked it. Would definitely get a caravan for family road trips and things like that.

The issue with SUV is that seats are higher and often times don't fold flat like a mini van.

I would keep the X5 and buy a mini van if we have another kid, we have one kid right now so the X5 is good for now.

I agree, but as I mentioned earlier, we are a small family of 3, and I regret not having 3rd row when we want to go out on a family trips with relatives from city who don't have/need cars to get by, or being able to take my son's friends on a weekend trip together, even if I can fit an extra dad and a son or mom and a daughter, I should be fine. So as you can see, dropping X5 for a minivan, or even getting a 2nd car would be an overkill for our situation. I just want to have the option, and have the riders comfortable when necessary, but not start driving a minivan because once in a while we may get a chance to go on a road trip with some friends.

I think there are a lot of people in similar situation, except their circumstances are different. They may have 2 kids, which limits their add'l passenger room. Minivan is still not necessary, so 3rd row is "very nice to have" addition, but when it's needed, it better be just comfortable enough, doesn't need to be a leg stretching 3rd row like Escalade or Tahoe or Grand Caravan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magicmarker View Post
I owned a Land Rover LR4 before the X5, and the interior space is the best. Period. Full Stop. The 3rd row seats real adults, is easy to access, and has full features too - sunroof, cup holders, storage compartments, air vents. Seats fold flat into the floor when not used, yet you can store small items under the seat when it's up (first aid kit, etc.)

2nd row seats -also- fold flat to the floor unlike X5. Adjustable height suspension lowers the car which makes it easier to get in/out, especially for kids or older family members. Might also fit in your garage that way. I used it many times in older parking garages.

I am in the same position as you and LR4 space was/is unbeatable.
I lost my post, db error came up, hopefully forum doesn't post same thing several times.
Is there a way to keep LR4 low and only raise it when needed or is that just to get in and out?

Also LR4 seems like a 1000lbs heavier than X5, did it feel heavy or was lower mpg the only downside?
      09-18-2016, 12:40 PM   #39
Magicmarker
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i

Quote:
Is there a way to keep LR4 low and only raise it when needed or is that just to get in and out?

Also LR4 seems like a 1000lbs heavier than X5, did it feel heavy or was lower mpg the only downside?
The lowering of the suspension is only at low speeds, forgot the exact number but it's around 20mph

LR4 -is- heavy. It doesn't drive like the X5. But also not a minivan. LR4 is due to be redesigned soon I think - I'm watching that one every few months. Depending on how LR does the tradeoffs it could be a contender again. But I can't see how it will never drive sporty the way an X5 does...
2020 M340i
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2016, 02:11 PM   #40
iconoclast
Self-Deprecating Narcissist
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Audi BMW Ferrari LR MB

The new design is not for me. It will be similar to the discovery sport but with a squared off back but similar in every other way in terms of design style. (From the renderings I saw it looks like a honda pilot mashed with a ford explorer.) I prefer the boxed designs and straight lines of older LR/RR products. On the plus side they are planning to shed some serious weight which makes sense if they're going to offer a 4cyl.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2016, 09:50 AM   #41
hyde
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by iconoclast View Post
The new design is not for me. It will be similar to the discovery sport but with a squared off back but similar in every other way in terms of design style. (From the renderings I saw it looks like a honda pilot mashed with a ford explorer.) I prefer the boxed designs and straight lines of older LR/RR products. On the plus side they are planning to shed some serious weight which makes sense if they're going to offer a 4cyl.

That's what I thought when I first saw the redesign. I don't know what was wrong with the previous design that they had to round it out so much and made it look like the new Ford Explorer. Overtime it got better but still I wish they kept the boxy design. The 3rd row space is very similar to X5, so RR wouldn't be my first choice.
      09-26-2016, 09:53 AM   #42
double_j
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 JB/B E90 M3

We just had to replace my wife's car after an accident. Ended up with a QX60.

Overall, it's a reasonable vehicle for the price. Dealers are willing to discount pretty heavily. Exterior and interior are acceptable and it's definitely more roomy in the back than the X5 (the QX60 is slightly longer).

That said, there are still some little touches that show you that Nissan isn't quite up to the same level as the rest of the luxury marques in terms of tech and features...implementation of a lot of the features are a bit lackluster (front and rear cameras are low res and more difficult to use than the X5, stereo/nav interfaces are awkward, etc.) and there are a few spots in the interior that are obvious part bin pieces shared with the Pathfinder. Interior materials overall seem about on par with base BMW materials that you'll tend to see in loaners, etc.

QX60 is nice for the price (you can likely negotiate a fully loaded model to the very low $50's or the low/mid $40's if you can forego some of the more advanced driver assist functions and rear seat entertainment). If price isn't really a huge concern for you though, I would stick with the Q7 or XC90.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2016, 10:49 PM   #43
hyde
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by double_j View Post
We just had to replace my wife's car after an accident. Ended up with a QX60.

Overall, it's a reasonable vehicle for the price. Dealers are willing to discount pretty heavily. Exterior and interior are acceptable and it's definitely more roomy in the back than the X5 (the QX60 is slightly longer).

That said, there are still some little touches that show you that Nissan isn't quite up to the same level as the rest of the luxury marques in terms of tech and features...implementation of a lot of the features are a bit lackluster (front and rear cameras are low res and more difficult to use than the X5, stereo/nav interfaces are awkward, etc.) and there are a few spots in the interior that are obvious part bin pieces shared with the Pathfinder. Interior materials overall seem about on par with base BMW materials that you'll tend to see in loaners, etc.

QX60 is nice for the price (you can likely negotiate a fully loaded model to the very low $50's or the low/mid $40's if you can forego some of the more advanced driver assist functions and rear seat entertainment). If price isn't really a huge concern for you though, I would stick with the Q7 or XC90.

Thanks for the info on it, after looking at it personally, I think QX70 is more in line with X5, even thought it's probably competing (if it is) with X6. It look sporty. As for a full size SUV, if I had to room I'd probably consider QX80 instead. While I am not a big fan of those fins, it looks like what I would want to drive if I had a full time need for 3rd row seat. I am still considering XC90, but I just can't seem to shake the feeling that I would be going few steps down in terms of performance and class, stepping down from BMW to a Volvo.

I will be waiting to see if X5 gets a bit of an upgrade for '18 MY, it's possible it might get a few small touches and refresh, and then I'll try to find one with 3rd row seat to see how cramped it is.

I still want to stay with X5 if I can. If not, and if Volvo doesn't offer much more than X5 with 3rd row, I will probably consider the ugly exterior slow GX (but nice interior, comfort oriented ride) or Q7.
      04-10-2017, 02:10 PM   #44
hyde
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Hi Folks, has there been any update from BMW about any change to F15 by end of 2017?
I haven't seen anything significant so it's safe to assume X5 will not be upgraded for 2018 model year?

In the meantime, I noticed Land Rover released redesigned Discovery with 3rd row and it looks pretty good. I've been away from the forums for a while, what do most people look at besides X5? I really like the GLE43, although the cargo capacity will be much less and no 3rd row seat, also Cayenne is on my list as well.