BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

08-03-2017, 01:23 PM   #1
Florida-X3
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 x30i / '12 Infiniti M37

Coasting drag/resistance

Something that I have noticed with the X5 and have been wondering about it's "ease" of coasting at very low speed, say in a parking lot. If I'm in a parking lot going slow and take my foot off the gas, to coast the car has a definite drag/slow down you can feel. It's not crazy like if a caliper were sticking but it is noticeable. I don't have much to compare this to other than my Infiniti M37x which is also all wheel drive but that seems to "coast" much easier.

Anyone else experience this..... normal behavior?
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2017, 01:35 PM   #2
DuSh
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F15 X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida-X5 View Post
Something that I have noticed with the X5 and have been wondering about it's "ease" of coasting at very low speed, say in a parking lot. If I'm in a parking lot going slow and take my foot off the gas, to coast the car has a definite drag/slow down you can feel. It's not crazy like if a caliper were sticking but it is noticeable. I don't have much to compare this to other than my Infiniti M37x which is also all wheel drive but that seems to "coast" much easier.

After having at least 10-11 cars in my life, I haven't noticed anything that stands out in x5 in terms of low speed coast drag, BUT it may be due to our transmissions programmed to engine break at certain conditions
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2017, 02:43 PM   #3
Florida-X3
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuSh View Post
After having at least 10-11 cars in my life, I haven't noticed anything that stands out in x5 in terms of low speed coast drag, BUT it may be due to our transmissions programmed to engine break at certain conditions
I'm a little slow so you are saying you DO notice slow speed drag in the X5 compared to all other cars you have owned?
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2017, 03:04 PM   #4
DuSh
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
I'm a little slow so you are saying you DO notice slow speed drag in the X5 compared to all other cars you have owned?
Sorry, I should have been clear, I mean I haven't noticed anything unusual. Is it only at low speeds you feel car drags unusually?
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2017, 03:31 PM   #5
Florida-X3
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuSh View Post
Sorry, I should have been clear, I mean I haven't noticed anything unusual. Is it only at low speeds you feel car drags unusually?
yes, low speed like in a parking lot if you were putting around looking for a spot, take the foot off the gas and you feel a definative slow down.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2017, 03:37 PM   #6
DuSh
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
yes, low speed like in a parking lot if you were putting around looking for a spot, take the foot off the gas and you feel a definative slow down.
Is it happening in all modes Sport, Comfort and Eco Pro? I think in Sport modes car does that on purpose, engine breaking and such, but I will check today in Eco Pro mode, I'll report back
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2017, 05:13 PM   #7
expidia
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5 35i

Quote:

Yes, I have noticed the same thing. I thought maybe it had something to do with the run flat tires that came on the car! But I know what you mean. . . coasting is definitely not free wheeling with the X5.

Also, a few weeks ago when I lost my wallet with my parking garage key in it I had to park 6 floors up for a week until the new key came. Each night for the hell of it I would start at the top and leave it in neutral. The car would coast all the way down to the ground floor, but I dont think I had to brake on the way down as it would not gain speed on its own. I was thinking there was resistance coming from the drivetrain or maybe the cv joints because it was in neutral. Thats when I figured it was not the tires because if they were causing resistance that would surely kill the mileage.

Last edited by expidia; 08-03-2017 at 05:30 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2017, 05:51 PM   #8
Florida-X3
Lieutenant
Rep

I'll do some more testing, I've only been in Comfort mode. I'll try and put in in neutral while coasting and see what that does.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2017, 10:40 PM   #9
wordsworth03
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: na

It may be part of BMWs Effecient Dynamic system. It tries to minimize any loss of potential energy so it tries to charge the battery when coasting...almost like a hybrid system.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2017, 01:41 AM   #10
Kewl X5
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by wordsworth03 View Post
It may be part of BMWs Effecient Dynamic system. It tries to minimize any loss of potential energy so it tries to charge the battery when coasting...almost like a hybrid system.
Yup. Part of regenerative braking, similar to what hybrids do to recharge battery...yes part of BMW Efficient Dynamics system
Appreciate 0