BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

08-16-2017, 11:45 AM   #1
expidia
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5 35i

Can u recommend a wheel spray cleaner...

That i can spray on to remove light road grime and then rinse off with hose yet not be too harsh that it removes my coating of menzerna powerlock sealer?
Or runs down onto the tires each time inuse it and it also removes the mcguires endurance tire gel?
Thx

Last edited by expidia; 08-16-2017 at 11:52 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2017, 12:28 PM   #2
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

Get out a bucket with soap and just wash them. Safest and will not strip your Power Lock.
Appreciate 2
Kzang3238.50
Chadmatic660.50
      08-16-2017, 12:29 PM   #3
3X3=5
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: in a lot of traffic

Interested in this too. I tried Sonax a few years back, but the chemical smell was unbearable. Also, it was time consuming and not particularly effective.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2017, 01:29 PM   #4
Maverik259
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 / F15 50i

Garage List
2020 BMW M5  [10.00]
2014 X5 50i  [0.00]
Chemical guys. There's a review on the forum showing how great it does. Just spray and rinse.
'14 X5 50i (wife’s now)
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2017, 01:37 PM   #5
positiveions
Lieutenant General
Lebanon
Rep
Drives: 19 Tacoma, 16 Golf wagon

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverik259 View Post
Chemical guys. There's a review on the forum showing how great it does. Just spray and rinse.
Any specific name?
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2017, 01:44 PM   #6
Maverik259
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M5  [10.00]
2014 X5 50i  [0.00]
I actually just ordered from Amazon let me check
'14 X5 50i (wife’s now)
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2017, 01:45 PM   #7
Maverik259
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M5  [10.00]
2014 X5 50i  [0.00]
I'm sorry it's called poor boys spray and rinse wheel cleaner $20 shipped
'14 X5 50i (wife’s now)
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2017, 02:28 PM   #8
expidia
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by P1et View Post
Get out a bucket with soap and just wash them. Safest and will not strip your Power Lock.
Im tired of bending over and wiping them down after only putting a few miles on them over a few days.

Seems there must be some spray made for this followed by a hose down and im done.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2017, 02:36 PM   #9
Maverik259
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M5  [10.00]
2014 X5 50i  [0.00]
http://f15.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1410688
'14 X5 50i (wife’s now)
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2017, 02:37 PM   #10
expidia
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverik259 View Post
I'm sorry it's called poor boys spray and rinse wheel cleaner $20 shipped
I read the reviews on amazon. Sounds pretty harsh just by the strong chemical odor. I dont want to use anything that will eventually damage the wheel's finish or the rubber tires.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2017, 02:42 PM   #11
Maverik259
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M5  [10.00]
2014 X5 50i  [0.00]
No offense bro but beggars can't be choosers. You want to "spray and rinse" well that requires a bit more power than windex you know. That's like saying I want more power but I don't to use more gas. Those generally just don't compute.
'14 X5 50i (wife’s now)
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2017, 02:59 PM   #12
expidia
First Lieutenant
Rep

I just read a few articles on consumer reports and watched two videos.

The grime and road dirt plus the asbestos brake dust builds up amazingly fast even though I have the wheels seal coated.

It seems their consensus after testing 4 or 5 products is none of them work that well without using a brush too and they are all somewhat expensive.

And if you have to use a brush they say (and it makes sense) to use a cheaper product like a gal of zep degreaser for $10 (which sounds like a harsh product).
And because amazon pads in the free shipping they get $17 a jug.

What I'm going to try is first spray them with Simply Green and buy a brush on a long handle that is soft, but with long bristles that can get into the crevices with me still standing up.

I don't know how harsh simply green is to the alloy finish. Its a great cleaner degreaser but I'd hate to see it starting pitting from too frequent use.

Since I do my wife's car too at the same time, bending over or even sitting on my stool on wheels . . . doing 8 wheels each time gets old fast

I might even try my compressed air portable tank to blow the water off so it doesn't spot or take it for a quick spin.

Nothing worse to see a freshly waxed car and yet the wheels are still dirty.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2017, 03:24 PM   #13
SCA
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Multiple BMWs

Quote:
Originally Posted by expidia View Post
I just read a few articles on consumer reports and watched two videos.

The grime and road dirt plus the asbestos brake dust builds up amazingly fast even though I have the wheels seal coated.

It seems their consensus after testing 4 or 5 products is none of them work that well without using a brush too and they are all somewhat expensive.

And if you have to use a brush they say (and it makes sense) to use a cheaper product like a gal of zep degreaser for $10 (which sounds like a harsh product).
And because amazon pads in the free shipping they get $17 a jug.

What I'm going to try is first spray them with Simply Green and buy a brush on a long handle that is soft, but with long bristles that can get into the crevices with me still standing up.

I don't know how harsh simply green is to the alloy finish. Its a great cleaner degreaser but I'd hate to see it starting pitting from too frequent use.

Since I do my wife's car too at the same time, bending over or even sitting on my stool on wheels . . . doing 8 wheels each time gets old fast

I might even try my compressed air portable tank to blow the water off so it doesn't spot or take it for a quick spin.

Nothing worse to see a freshly waxed car and yet the wheels are still dirty.

If you want a great wheel brush I highly recommend the Gyeon Wheel Brush used with soap and water. If the wheels are exceptionally dirty use Sonax Wheel Cleaner Plus first and the follow with soap and water with the Gyeon wheel brush.

Review of the Gyeon Wheel Brush:

Last edited by SCA; 08-16-2017 at 07:37 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2017, 04:19 PM   #14
expidia
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCA View Post
If you want a great wheel brush I highly recommend the Gyeon Wheel Brush used with soap and water. If the wheels are exceptionally dirty use Sonax Whee Cleanerl Plus first and the follow with soap, water, and the Gyeon wheel brush.

Review of the Gyeon Wheel Brush:
Thanks for that recommendation. I just ordered the long Gyeon off amazon (hopefully long = less bending over) and also a gal of simply green ($21 shipped) which I needed anyway for cleaning the black tires. Simply green seems less harsh then the Bleche White that I've been using after I ran out of SG.

I saw the Sonax on amazon but its not cheap and I'll go through a bottle quickly spraying down 8 wheels at each cleaning.

I'll use the car soap and water like you said first that before the SG. These new to me jugs of liquid car soap are pretty cool as they leave a shine behind yet wont remove the wax.. They must have caught on because walmart carries like 5 different brands already.

I bet this was because McGuires Endurance was slinging onto the wheels. Thats greasy stuff too. I was supposed to buff down to get the excess off, but I didn't buff enough would be my guess.

On my kids cars I think I'll pick them up the Gyeon brushes too. We coated their wheels with Nufinish and I want to try and keep that sealant on for as long as it lasts. If we hit it with SG or another wheel cleaner I'm afraid that it will strip it right off like dawn detergent would.

The Sonax seems like its pretty strong stuff too that might take the sealant right off.

You should have seen my hands on how black they were after I used a damp wash cloth to clean the brake dust on road grime off the wheels this AM and I cleaned them only 4 days ago! I forgot to ware an MD latex glove that I bought a box of. I thought it was just dust, but it turned out to be greasy and nasty. Looking forward to using that Gyeon brush. Had to soak my nails and fingertips in bleach. Hence the reason for my original posting question earlier.

Last edited by expidia; 08-16-2017 at 09:23 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2017, 05:50 PM   #15
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

I have a 2015 35i with 21" wheels and can go weeks before my wheels get dirty. Are you sure the problem isn't elsewhere?
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2017, 06:49 PM   #16
expidia
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by P1et View Post
I have a 2015 35i with 21" wheels and can go weeks before my wheels get dirty. Are you sure the problem isn't elsewhere?
I think it was the sling from the McGuires Endurance attracting the dirt and grime.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2017, 07:06 PM   #17
Florida-X3
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 x30i / '12 Infiniti M37

Simply Green is pretty strong stuff.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2017, 07:28 PM   #18
SCA
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by expidia View Post
Thanks for that recommendation. I just ordered the long Gyeon off amazon (hopefully long = less bending over) and also a gal of simply green ($21 shipped) which I needed anyway for cleaning the black tires. Simply green seems less harsh then the Bleche White that I've been using after I ran out of SG.

I saw the Sonax on amazon but its not cheap and I'll go through a bottle quickly spraying down 8 wheels at each cleaning.

I'll use the car soap and water like you said first that before the SG. These new to me jugs of liquid car soap are pretty cool as they leave a shine behind yet wont remove the wax.. They must have caught on because walmart carries like 5 different brands already.

I bet this was because McGuires Endurance was slinging onto the wheels. Thats greasy stuff too. I was supposed to buff down to get the excess off, but I didn't buff enough would be my guess.

On my kids cars I think I'll pick them up the Gyeon brushes too. We coated their wheels with Nufinish and I want to try and keep that sealant on for as long as it lasts. If we hit it with SG or another wheel cleaner I'm afraid that it will strip it right off like dawn detergent would.

The Sonax seems like its pretty strong stuff too that might take the sealant right off.

You should have seen my hands on how black they were after I used a damp wash cloth to clean the brake dust on road grime off the wheels this AM and I cleaned them only 4 days ago! I forgot to where a MD latex glove that I bought a box of. I thought it was just dust, but it turned out to be greasy and nasty. Looking forward to using that Gyeon brush. Had to soak my nails and fingertips in bleach. Hence the reason for my original posting question earlier.

I have the long Gyeon Wheel Brush. Perfect for 20" plus wheels! It does not bend.

Yes, the Sonax Wheel Cleaner Plus is rather expensive. The best time to purchase multiple bottles at once is when Detail Image has a sale on Sonax or wheel cleaning products. Note this Wheel Cleaner is not acidic and is similar to CarPro's Iron X that is applied directly to paint to remove contaminants. Any cleaner and/or soap will remove wax or sealant if it is not pH neutral.

Note the Gyeon line of detailing products are outstanding. They are currently one of the go to product lines for many professionals detailers. Ask me how I know...

Edit: BTW, you really should consider having a professional detailer ceramic coat your wheels if you want easy cleaning with exceptional durability. A ceramic coating can also be applied to all surfaces and last anywhere from 2-5+ years (warrantied). A sealant or a wax is really not going to do what you are attempting to acquire on wheels. You can attempt to ceramic coat the wheels yourself, but they will need to be spotless and prepped with 50/50 distilled water & ISP prior to applying the coating.

Your damp wash cloth method to recently clean off your wheels unfortunately has now mircro scratched them as you had no lubricant (water or quick detail) applied to the wheels prior to wiping. You do not want to do the same to your vehicle's paint as both are painted and clear coated.

Last edited by SCA; 08-16-2017 at 08:38 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2017, 07:55 PM   #19
Taran.J
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW, LEX, MBZ, RAM, TESLA

Griots wheel cleaner. Bias since I?ve known the family for years, never used anything else beside water and Griots garage car wash soap if I?m in a pinch of time.
Appreciate 1
expidia161.50
      08-16-2017, 08:36 PM   #20
SCA
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taran.J View Post
Griots wheel cleaner. Bias since I?ve known the family for years, never used anything else beside water and Griots garage car wash soap if I?m in a pinch of time.
Meh, Griots is now available at nearly any auto parts store or Wal-Mart and because of such very few 'professional detailers' are using their products. It is an 'enthusiast' product line now and there is nothing wrong with that.
Appreciate 1
expidia161.50
      08-16-2017, 08:37 PM   #21
Installsplus
Ultimate Driving Machine E92ESS625 M3/G05 X5 Msport 40i Individual
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3 DCT/ESS 625 kit

Garage List
Auto glym is also pretty good.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2017, 09:18 PM   #22
expidia
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCA View Post
I have the long Gyeon Wheel Brush. Perfect for 20" plus wheels! It does not bend.

Yes, the Sonax Wheel Cleaner Plus is rather expensive. The best time to purchase multiple bottles at once is when Detail Image has a sale on Sonax or wheel cleaning products. Note this Wheel Cleaner is not acidic and is similar to CarPro's Iron X that is applied directly to paint to remove contaminants. Any cleaner and/or soap will remove wax or sealant if it is not pH neutral.

Note the Gyeon line of detailing products are outstanding. They are currently one of the go to product lines for many professionals detailers. Ask me how I know...

Edit: BTW, you really should consider having a professional detailer ceramic coat your wheels if you want easy cleaning with exceptional durability. A ceramic coating can also be applied to all surfaces and last anywhere from 2-5+ years (warrantied). A sealant or a wax is really not going to do what you are attempting to acquire on wheels. You can attempt to ceramic coat the wheels yourself, but they will need to be spotless and prepped with 50/50 distilled water & ISP prior to applying the coating.

Your damp wash cloth method to recently clean off your wheels unfortunately has now mircro scratched them as you had no lubricant (water or quick detail) applied to the wheels prior to wiping. You do not want to do the same to your vehicle's paint as both are painted and clear coated.
Thx for all that info... good stuff! The wheels have two coats of power lock on them. The washcloth was pretty wet so I hope I didn't micro scratch them too deep. I just might go the do it yourself ceramic coating route before the winter as I never realized we could get 2-5 years out of a ceramic coating.

Last edited by expidia; 08-16-2017 at 09:26 PM..
Appreciate 0