Luxury Line
MSport
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2014, 07:59 PM   #2
Snow-Kidney
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F15

I was thinking about creating a similar thread. I'm wondering what everyone here purchased.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2014, 08:15 PM   #3
beamer5
Rep
Drives: BMW 525i

I spent more time on deciding the line than any other item on my car. In the end I decided for luxury line. It gets you 19" wheels, color coded wheel trim and makes the car look a little more sophisticated in a white. I saw it on a MW but am ordering a AW. I was put off by the cheap plastic vents on the m sport esp at the cost of the package. Never considered xline as I do not like the plastic trim around the wheels nor the running boards.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2014, 09:24 PM   #4
Hang0ver
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35i

Most of them say M sport. But it's hour preference of what you like. I went for xline
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2014, 09:40 PM   #5
DavidTSG
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35d

Obviously Luxury for me, as that's what I ordered . I had actually started with X-Line, as I liked the default 19" wheel better on the X than the LL; however, I prefer the paint-matched trim on the LL. Since I ended up going to the 20" wheels, anyway, the 19" on the X was no longer a decision factor.

I do think a line is a must, whichever is chosen, simply because the 18" wheels feel way too small for me.
      08-26-2014, 11:00 PM   #6
MattBianco
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35d msport

I ordered Xline. Only because dual color rims were very different from the rest. The only reason I considered any line at all is because I wanted the rims, which priced alone were over $5k, and the sports steering wheel. Otherwise, there is nothing to lines. They are mostly, and I say mostly, cosmetic gimmick other than suspension in Msport.

Last edited by MattBianco; 08-27-2014 at 01:06 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2014, 02:09 AM   #7
HMN
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5MC LCI, 2017 F86 X6M

Garage List
2014 BMW X5  [0.00]
The xline has a prestigious vibe.
Xline.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2014, 09:07 AM   #8
Karthik
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 x35i M Sport

I was thinking to do the same few months back on exterior and interior color, but didn't get a chance to do it.

This actually helps to see who is buying what and the market outside. See if you have time to do that as well?
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2014, 09:10 AM   #9
paicapo
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, F15 X5 M-sport

M-sport is a different car, very impressive!
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2014, 12:16 PM   #10
cy07
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 50i 2016 M3

I too prefer xLine, the silver trim adds a nice contrast throughout. Looks very elegant. Msport looks awesome nonetheless.

I was debating on this issue for so long, finally went with xLine for the running boards for the utility purpose. No dirty snowboards boots in my car! =)
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2014, 02:30 PM   #11
Ray knight
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: LBB F85 X5M

I say the X-line is the best looking. Most classy but the M-sport drives totally different (better). So i went with the M-sport as there was a pretty dramatic difference in handling. Also i like the transmission settings and paddle shifters. I dislike the M front air dams how they are just blocked off. I hate that actually. The X-line has a better look to it.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2014, 02:39 PM   #12
cy07
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray knight View Post
I say the X-line is the best looking. Most classy but the M-sport drives totally different (better). So i went with the M-sport as there was a pretty dramatic difference in handling. Also i like the transmission settings and paddle shifters. I dislike the M front air dams how they are just blocked off. I hate that actually. The X-line has a better look to it.
M sport offers cosmetic differences, i'ts only when you order M suspension +950 that the ride becomes different.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2014, 05:48 AM   #13
paicapo
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cy07 View Post
M sport offers cosmetic differences, i'ts only when you order M suspension +950 that the ride becomes different.
That’s incorrect, the m-sport package includes the adaptive suspension, sport gearbox, sport seats, m-sport steering wheel and some other stuff.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2014, 10:48 AM   #14
cy07
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by paicapo View Post
That’s incorrect, the m-sport package includes the adaptive suspension, sport gearbox, sport seats, m-sport steering wheel and some other stuff.
M sport doesn't offer different suspension until you select the option adaptive suspension, which costs 900 more. Sport seats, steering wheel, are cosmetic only. Gearbox switch and sport mode are also available in other trims.

Last edited by cy07; 08-28-2014 at 11:14 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2014, 10:59 AM   #15
chrisny
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 40i

Quote:
M sport doesn't offer different suspension until you select the option adaptive suspension, which costs 900 more. Sport seats, steering wheel, are cosmetic only. Gearbox switch and sport mode are also available in other trims. You are wrong.
different countries, different packages. In other countries, m sport does get you adaptive M suspension, just not here in the US..

The sport auto is standard only with M sport though, and that made a big difference for me. Others have said they just live without the paddles (which i never use) and coded the software changes (faster shifts and to me, feels smoother shifting) instead of ordering a car with the sport auto (M sport). I can't comment on the coding, but the sport auto is well worth the upgrade, IMHO. With the sport auto also comes Sport + mode, which is not available in the other lines.

The sport seats that are standard with M sport are not just a cosmetic difference, they are firmer and have deeper side bolsters, and adjustable leg extension. Beware though, sport seats don't get you the inflatable (adjustable) side bolsters, only the multi contour seats do, and those are an additional upgrade to any line (though they come standard with a 50i in some (maybe all?) countries.

Last edited by chrisny; 08-28-2014 at 11:08 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2014, 11:13 AM   #16
cy07
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisny View Post
different countries, different packages. In other countries, m sport does get you adaptive M suspension, just not here in the US..

The sport auto is standard only with M sport though, and that made a big difference for me. Others have said they just live without the paddles (which i never use) and coded the software changes (faster shifts and to me, feels smoother shifting) instead of ordering a car with the sport auto (M sport). I can't comment on the coding, but the sport auto is well worth the upgrade, IMHO. With the sport auto also comes Sport + mode, which is not available in the other lines.

The sport seats that are standard with M sport are not just a cosmetic difference, they have additional support and deeper side bolsters, and adjustable leg extension. Beware though, sport seats don't get you the inflatable (adjustable) side bolsters, only the multi contour seats do, and those are an additional upgrade to any line (though they come standard with a 50i in some (maybe all?) countries.
Well said. You get Sport + mode, that's the only driving difference M sport provides. I don't remember the last time I ever use sport + and paddles on my previous BMWs. As for sport seats, you can't even select this on 50i and multi contour seats are superior. All X5 comes with the same excellent 8 speed transmission.

Like I said, M sport is really just a matter of aesthetics, at least in US.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2014, 11:50 AM   #17
chrisny
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Well said. You get Sport + mode, that's the only driving difference M sport provides. I don't remember the last time I ever use sport + and paddles on my previous BMWs. As for sport seats, you can't even select this on 50i and multi contour seats are superior. All X5 comes with the same excellent 8 speed transmission.

Like I said, M sport is really just a matter of aesthetics, at least in US.
Respectfully, you're still missing a couple of points though:

First, on anything except your 50i, the MC seats are not standard. So the sport seats are in fact a big upgrade for everyone with anything less than a 50i, unless they're paying extra for the MC seats. I do agree the MC's are better, but that's irrelevant to the conversation unless the conversation (as you seem to be taking it) is only in regards to 50i's.

Second, the Sport + does give you the dynamic traction control, whether that's useful or not depends on the buyer…

Third - "All X5 comes with the same excellent 8 speed transmission." simply not true. Yes it's the same mechanical transmission, but the Sport Auto that comes with M Sport has different programming for faster, more fluid shifts. It is different than the standard 8AT, and certainly changes how the car drives. Also gives you the paddles which are not purely aesthetic. Again, whether or not they're useful depends on the driver… but they're not just for show.

M sport is called M sport not ///M for a reason. It is in no way a major performance upgrade like a true M car and is mostly aesthetic. But it DOES offer some actual upgrades beyond the aesthetics as well. I don't know if you have the Sport Auto on your F15 or not, but I would recommend driving a no line with its 18" wheels and bubbly tires, standard transmission and standard seats before you assume these upgrades are just aesthetic (and you can't see the software upgrades in the sport auto, so it can't be aesthetic ).

Last edited by chrisny; 08-28-2014 at 11:59 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2014, 11:53 AM   #18
paicapo
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
M sport doesn't offer different suspension until you select the option adaptive suspension, which costs 900 more. Sport seats, steering wheel, are cosmetic only. Gearbox switch and sport mode are also available in other trims.
Here in Europe we get the AD suspension whit m-sport package for all bmw cars that BMW is offering the package for F10,F11 etc., didn’t know that wasn’t the case i US, that sucks!
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2014, 12:54 PM   #19
Karthik
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 x35i M Sport

Quote:
You are welcome to say that its just cosmetic, but it for sure changes the look of the vehicle interior and exterior.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2014, 01:14 PM   #20
cy07
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Respectfully, you're still missing a couple of points though:

First, on anything except your 50i, the MC seats are not standard. So the sport seats are in fact a big upgrade for everyone with anything less than a 50i, unless they're paying extra for the MC seats. I do agree the MC's are better, but that's irrelevant to the conversation unless the conversation (as you seem to be taking it) is only in regards to 50i's.

Second, the Sport + does give you the dynamic traction control, whether that's useful or not depends on the buyer…

Third - "All X5 comes with the same excellent 8 speed transmission." simply not true. Yes it's the same mechanical transmission, but the Sport Auto that comes with M Sport has different programming for faster, more fluid shifts. It is different than the standard 8AT, and certainly changes how the car drives. Also gives you the paddles which are not purely aesthetic. Again, whether or not they're useful depends on the driver… but they're not just for show.

M sport is called M sport not ///M for a reason. It is in no way a major performance upgrade like a true M car and is mostly aesthetic. But it DOES offer some actual upgrades beyond the aesthetics as well. I don't know if you have the Sport Auto on your F15 or not, but I would recommend driving a no line with its 18" wheels and bubbly tires, standard transmission and standard seats before you assume these upgrades are just aesthetic (and you can't see the software upgrades in the sport auto, so it can't be aesthetic ).
I have driven both M sport and non M sport 35d/50i, I can safely say they are are both exactly the same except for the sport + mode which isn't available in other trim.

In my opinion, you have to like give me more than sport + to qualify as performance upgrade. Shift paddle and sport auto shift are basically the same thing. Sucks that adaptive suspension is an extra option. Even on the 35i/35d sport seats are for comfort and really have nothing to do with performance. This topic has been previous discussed here. http://f15.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=883030

Don't get me wrong, I like M sport and have been torn on the issue for a very long time. The price difference is very minimal on 50i between the trims, just to point out there is very little "driving/performance" difference M sport offers.

Karthik, the look of exterior/interior = cosmetic thank you.

Last edited by cy07; 08-28-2014 at 01:21 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2014, 01:22 PM   #21
chrisny
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I have driven both M sport and non M sport 35d/50i, I can safely say they are are both exactly the same except for the sport + mode which isn't available in other trim.

In my opinion, you have to like give me more than sport + to qualify as performance upgrade. Shift paddle and sport auto shift are basically the same thing. Sucks that adaptive suspension is an extra option.

Don't get me wrong, I like M sport and have been torn on the issue for a very long time. The price difference is very minimal on 50i between the trims, just to point out there is very little "driving/performance" difference M sport offers.

Karthik, the look of exterior/interior = cosmetic thank you.
Agreed, it's minimal and as I said, they're not really true performance upgrades (m sport far cry from ///M, and for the record, I wish they would have left the M out and just kept it a sport package, but that's marketing for you, every company is doing it now, thank Audi and their "S-Line").

That said, he difference between the 8AT and the sport 8AT is very noticeable. If you felt no difference, have to wonder why you care about performance upgrades… And if you felt no difference between the standard seats and sport seats, you must have a very young and healthy back . But at least we've gotten you to concede from "only aesthetic" to "very little" driving difference lol. Very little is accurate, but my point is simply that the little bit of difference there is in actual driving (sport AT) and comfort (seats) made M sport a no brainer to some of us. For me, I was torn between X-line and M sport, but the sport auto made the difference, once I drove an x-line….

Last edited by chrisny; 08-28-2014 at 01:28 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2014, 01:28 PM   #22
cy07
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Agreed, it's minimal and as I said, they're not really true performance upgrades. The difference between the 8AT and the sport 8AT is very noticeable, however. If you felt no difference, have to wonder why you care about performance upgrades… And if you felt no difference between the standard seats and sport seats, you must have a very young and healthy back . But at least we've gotten you to concede from "only aesthetic" to "very little" driving difference lol
This is the part I don't get, every trim has "sport" AT, M sport just has an extra mode in Sport +. Are you saying sport + is so different from sport mode?
Appreciate 0