BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

05-02-2014, 10:32 PM   #1
BKMK5
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 MB C43

Back to the BMW family!

Well after 2 years of being gone from the BMW family I am back. Well soon enough I'll be back. Just placed an order for a 2014 X5 M sport.

I've got a bit of reading to do on all the little things it has to offer. I remember a thread for the E90/2 M3s "What didn't you realize your car could do?" and I'm hoping I'll eventually come across that here.

Got the car for $69420. Believe thats a decent price for a $73,900 MSRP car. Second week of May production...or so says the CA.
Attached Images

SOLD-2011.5 ///M3 Sedan ZCP
SOLD-2008 E90 335i Sport
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2014, 10:39 PM   #2
Zipforia
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW i8

Finally, the BKMK5 has returned to BMW!!!! Welcome back!

Nice build! Can't wait to see the pics!

Z.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2014, 09:01 PM   #3
BKMK5
First Lieutenant
Rep

Well the swap a lease fell through twice since I posted and I'm still not back in a BMW after 2 years! Reason being, it is hard to find people who are willing to pay tax on top of the tax you've rolled into the lease payment, at that point its cheaper for people to just buy a new GL themselves.

However, a stroke of good(or bad) luck came upon us last Friday when a drunk driver crashed into our parked truck. We were all sleeping when this occurred and the 2 babies are safe so thats all that matters. The driver was doing ~75 mph when he hit our car with his MDX and caused him to roll his vehicle.

In any event, my GL has $54K+ in repairs and only worth $64.7k so they are totaling it! You know what that means? You guessed it, an F15 X5!

Tomorrow I pick up a Black Sapphire on black dakota X5 50i M Sport, Executive package, Driver assistant plus and 4 zone AC. Pics will follow tomorrow of the X5, here are the photos of the GL.
Attached Images

SOLD-2008 E90 335i Sport
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2014, 09:24 PM   #4
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X5 50i

Wow, glad you and your family are ok. How about the drunk driver? Is he alright? Granted, he messed up big time, but a human being is a human being. Hopefully, no one else was hurt!

On a lighter note, sorry about your GL, but congrats on your new X5! Welcome to the BMW family!
      06-27-2014, 09:54 PM   #5
BKMK5
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by opasha View Post
Wow, glad you and your family are ok. How about the drunk driver? Is he alright? Granted, he messed up big time, but a human being is a human being. Hopefully, no one else was hurt!

On a lighter note, sorry about your GL, but congrats on your new X5! Welcome to the BMW family!
I think he messed up his legs, he wasn't wearing a seatbelt and still lived after hitting a car head on at 75 and rolling over. Pretty miraculous!
SOLD-2008 E90 335i Sport
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2014, 10:59 PM   #6
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKMK5 View Post
I think he messed up his legs, he wasn't wearing a seatbelt and still lived after hitting a car head on at 75 and rolling over. Pretty miraculous!
Ouch, he got really lucky...well bad decisions lead to bad circumstances. Hopefully, this teaches him a lesson or two. I'm glad no one else was hurt and that at least your insurance covered you for a new car. I know it's not as big as your GL, but I'm sure you will definitely enjoy the new X5. All of us are .
      06-28-2014, 09:05 AM   #7
Overtaxed
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: RR Diesel, F450

GL looks pretty good for taking a 75 MPH impact. How was the passenger area (does it look like you would have been injured from the vehicle if you were in the car)?

It never works out this way for me. My wife's ML350 was in the body shop 3 times (never our fault, vandalism and theft) within 6 months of buying it. If someone was going to hit my parked car, it would have 100 miles on it!

This, BTW, is the big reason that you NEVER put money down on a car, especially not a lease. If this car was brand new and totaled, anything you put down on the lease would be GONE. If you put nothing down, you walk back to the dealer (since someone just totaled your car) and order another one; like nothing happened at all. You're paying for gap insurance, make sure you take maximum advantage of it. This goes double for people who live in areas with high car theft rates!
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2014, 09:11 PM   #8
BKMK5
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overtaxed View Post
GL looks pretty good for taking a 75 MPH impact. How was the passenger area (does it look like you would have been injured from the vehicle if you were in the car)?

It never works out this way for me. My wife's ML350 was in the body shop 3 times (never our fault, vandalism and theft) within 6 months of buying it. If someone was going to hit my parked car, it would have 100 miles on it!

This, BTW, is the big reason that you NEVER put money down on a car, especially not a lease. If this car was brand new and totaled, anything you put down on the lease would be GONE. If you put nothing down, you walk back to the dealer (since someone just totaled your car) and order another one; like nothing happened at all. You're paying for gap insurance, make sure you take maximum advantage of it. This goes double for people who live in areas with high car theft rates!
I was able to open all doors with out much issue. It was just the drivers side door that needed a little nudge because of the fender being pushed in a bit. The engine did not go through the firewall but i felt a verrrrry slight indentation underneath the brake pedal where possibly it was affecting the cabin. Other than that everything else looked perfect. If it hadn't been for the small crack in the windshield all the other pieces of glass were perfect as well. If I needed a boat again, I'd consider the GL. It wasn't bad and at 73% residual for a 7.5k/year, 3 year lease I'd say it was a bargain too.
SOLD-2008 E90 335i Sport
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2014, 07:39 AM   #9
Overtaxed
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: RR Diesel, F450

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKMK5 View Post
I was able to open all doors with out much issue. It was just the drivers side door that needed a little nudge because of the fender being pushed in a bit. The engine did not go through the firewall but i felt a verrrrry slight indentation underneath the brake pedal where possibly it was affecting the cabin. Other than that everything else looked perfect. If it hadn't been for the small crack in the windshield all the other pieces of glass were perfect as well. If I needed a boat again, I'd consider the GL. It wasn't bad and at 73% residual for a 7.5k/year, 3 year lease I'd say it was a bargain too.
73% residual?? Even on a very low mileage lease, that's insane, there's no way a GL (or any other car outside of a collectable) is worth 73% of MSRP 3 years later. Remember, it's MSRP, not what you actually pay that the residual is based on.

Good luck with that one MB, I have no idea how they can get the leasing companies to make deals like that; I can only assume that they pay the difference if the car sells for less.

Most people say you lose 10-20% just driving it off the lot!
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2014, 08:50 AM   #10
chrisny
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 40i

Damn, as I read I was thinking why not try to trade it in instead of swap lease (we did that with our ML to get an X3 and got out of the lease clean a year early, then did the same with the X3 a year early to get our X5), then I read on and saw it no longer matters. Glad no one was in the car!
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2014, 08:20 AM   #11
BKMK5
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overtaxed View Post
73% residual?? Even on a very low mileage lease, that's insane, there's no way a GL (or any other car outside of a collectable) is worth 73% of MSRP 3 years later. Remember, it's MSRP, not what you actually pay that the residual is based on.

Good luck with that one MB, I have no idea how they can get the leasing companies to make deals like that; I can only assume that they pay the difference if the car sells for less.

Most people say you lose 10-20% just driving it off the lot!
Yeah, the residual was 72+1 for the low mileage lease. It made leasing that type of truck at the time very attractive as I was in need of a useful third row for an adult as we had an au pair. The MDX has a cramped third row, all American trucks had terrible residual values making leasing them only 150-200/mo less expensive than a GL; not to mention their backup cameras/nav and clocks all look like they were stuck in 1999. LR4's rear seats were kinda crappy too. MB really does make the best and most comfortable third rows.
SOLD-2008 E90 335i Sport
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2014, 08:56 PM   #12
BKMK5
First Lieutenant
Rep

Finally had time to correct the holograms the dealer put in while 'Detailing' the car for delivery. I even let them wash my car when it went in for the microswitch replacement on the hood. I've been using exclusively Chemical Guys Products for a long while now(3 years I think) and the products last for the most part. My M3 and Cayenne S were always MINT and always detailed perfectly. The GL, meh. It was silver and way to big to care. The X5 took me 9 hours and I still rushed to complete it. Kinda hard to find that much time with a 2 year old and an 11 month old at home.

Wash>Clay> Polish(V38) using the lightest polishing pad> Black Light(glaze)>Second Skin 6 (polymer protection)> Black wax> Cleaned any residual with Hybrid V7

Wheels were washed, waxed(chemical guys wheel protection) and tired dressed with VRP.

Second Skin & and Black were both 2 new products for me. Can't say I'm impressed with either. I got much better beading on my M3 using Butter Wet Wax.
Attached Images

SOLD-2008 E90 335i Sport
Appreciate 0