BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

07-15-2014, 08:40 PM   #1
oshiri
Private
Rep
Drives: F15 X5 30d

Satnav help - avoiding freeways?

Hi all, new here and new to BMW.

I've driven many Subaru's in the past, but took delivery of a F15 X5 30d X-line in black last week. Absolutely in love with it. In love with all and every part of it. Too much I love about it to list.

Anyway, have one slight issue which I'm sure can be overcome fairly easily, but I cannot figure it out for the life of me.

My satnav seems to be avoiding freeways. I live fairly close to a freeway and I know it to be (based on my experience and based on previous GPS's that I have used) the fastest route to certain destinations. However, the X5 satnav seems to be avoiding it at all costs unless I ignore it and drive on to the freeway before it starts giving me freeway directions.

I read the manual and there is an option to tick or untick avoid freeways/avoid tollways, however I can't seem to access that menu?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2014, 09:05 PM   #2
Barbja
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X4 M40i

This is from memory: When the map is displayed, I think the little gear icon on the left is route preference. Select that. Is avoid highways checked? (There should be avoid ferries and avoid toll roads in there too)

Do you have Eco pro or short selected? Perhaps one of those is keeping you off the highway. Certainly fast w/o avoid highways checked would route you to a highway.

Mine would do all it possibly could to keep you on an interstate when fast was selected, whether that was actually the fastest route or not. For instance: Houston to Austin would route through San Antonio. That's at least a 100 mile detour. (Like, no!) I wish the nav would learn your usual route to a destination and default to that after a few times.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2014, 09:28 PM   #3
oshiri
Private
Rep

Hey barbja! thats exactly what the manual says. my problem is that when the map is displayed, i can see all the icons on the left of the screen, but cannot select them? turning the knob only zooms in and out... like i said, new to BMWs but how is it that i can select the icons on the left of the map?
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2014, 09:30 PM   #4
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G09 XM, G05 X5 40, 991.2 T

Move the iDrive controller to the left. That will move the selection to the icons on the left.
Active Autowerke • KW • H&R • Ohlins • Remus • and more...
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2014, 09:54 PM   #5
Barbja
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X4 M40i

Oh yes, click left.

And another thing that won't help with this issue, but may help with your future screwings around in the iDrive...if you're on a page and you're thinking 'there should be some or more settings here' click options and see if you get anything extra. Sometimes you get something, sometimes you don't.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2014, 01:20 AM   #6
oshiri
Private
Rep

great, thanks for the tips guys. i'll try it out tonight!
Appreciate 0