BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

06-22-2014, 03:49 PM   #1
Cavman
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X5 35i M-Sport

Nappa Leather Dashboard option

To anyone who has seen or purchased JUST the nappa leather dashboard option in an X5 with Dakota leather interior (without the full Nappa Ivory or Mocha Design Package), does the stitched Nappa leather continue below the glove box and air vents and surround the climate control and radio controls?

Or does the nappa leather just cover the top of the dashboard?

I currently have Nappa seats / Nappa leather Dash in an E70 and the stitched Nappa leather covers all the areas below the glove box and underneath the air vents, but I am unsure if that is because I also have the Nappa leather seats or is that what the Nappa Leather Dashboard gives you.

Reason for asking is that I love the look of the Nappa Dashboard but may opt for the Ivory Dakota with Black carpets instead of the full Ivory Nappa Design package and am trying to figure out what surfaces are covered with the stitched Nappa leather when ordering JUST the Nappa Leather Dashboard option on its own with Dakota leather seating.

Hope this question is clear.

Anyone with pictures of the Nappa Leather Dashboard in X5s that have Dakota leather for the seats, particularly the areas around the climate control and under the glove box, would be most appreciated.

The online configurator is not detailed enough or large enough for me to determine what, if anything, is covered in stitched Nappa leather in addition to the top of the dashboard.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Cavman; 06-22-2014 at 04:05 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2014, 04:56 PM   #2
Overtaxed
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: RR Diesel, F450

I don't have any pictures that I could find of that option combo, but I thought I'd chime in and mention what a s**t job BMW is doing on selling their higher end interior options. The configurator is worthless, you can't see it in any detail. What they should do (which would take all of about 4 hours) is take a truck with each possible leather/seating combo and take about 15-20 pictures of each one. Given that they have an assembly plant where these roll off the line at a regular pace, it really wouldn't be that hard! The config tool is neat in that it shows you what you truck would look like, but sucks for seeing very close in details.

They should do the same for all the exterior color options and rim options.

I realize this is probably a few 1000 pictures they would have to take. Given that this is BMW we're talking about, I'm pretty sure they can hire a photography team to come in and knock this out in a few days (if they had all the cars sitting ready for them); what would that cost, maybe 10K? They'd make that back in the first 25 orders for higher end cars because people can actually see how good the 20" rims look, or how nice the interior is with the nappa leather. How much time do you think they spend on getting that configurator tool to work each year? I'm sure the answer is 100X what it would cost to just take some pictures.

And, for stuff that's not visible (like the adaptive suspension) it's ridiculous that we have to resort to a FAQ posted here to accurately describe the differences. Put someone in the car with/without it, take some video of them talking about what's better/different about it, and post it on your website. Or, put together a chart like what we have here and put it in the config tool with additional details.

It's like BMW wants us swinging in the dark on some of these options, or, alternately, driving around like idiots (what I did) to 10 different dealers to see the options that are available on the truck. And I still didn't see them all, the adaptive M suspension I just could not find a single X5 (any variant) with that option in a 200 mile radius. So, BMW, describe it to us. With more than 3 sentences. Tell us how it makes our car better and convince us to buy it. Sales 101 stuff..

Granted, other manufacturers are just as bad, but BMW has SO many more options than most of the other brands out there, it's just more glaring that they don't tell us/show us exhaustive detail on the options.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2014, 06:23 PM   #3
HansRobert
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5 xDrive 40e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overtaxed View Post
I don't have any pictures that I could find of that option combo, but I thought I'd chime in and mention what a s**t job BMW is doing on selling their higher end interior options. The configurator is worthless, you can't see it in any detail. What they should do (which would take all of about 4 hours) is take a truck with each possible leather/seating combo and take about 15-20 pictures of each one. Given that they have an assembly plant where these roll off the line at a regular pace, it really wouldn't be that hard! The config tool is neat in that it shows you what you truck would look like, but sucks for seeing very close in details.

They should do the same for all the exterior color options and rim options.

I realize this is probably a few 1000 pictures they would have to take. Given that this is BMW we're talking about, I'm pretty sure they can hire a photography team to come in and knock this out in a few days (if they had all the cars sitting ready for them); what would that cost, maybe 10K? They'd make that back in the first 25 orders for higher end cars because people can actually see how good the 20" rims look, or how nice the interior is with the nappa leather. How much time do you think they spend on getting that configurator tool to work each year? I'm sure the answer is 100X what it would cost to just take some pictures.

And, for stuff that's not visible (like the adaptive suspension) it's ridiculous that we have to resort to a FAQ posted here to accurately describe the differences. Put someone in the car with/without it, take some video of them talking about what's better/different about it, and post it on your website. Or, put together a chart like what we have here and put it in the config tool with additional details.

It's like BMW wants us swinging in the dark on some of these options, or, alternately, driving around like idiots (what I did) to 10 different dealers to see the options that are available on the truck. And I still didn't see them all, the adaptive M suspension I just could not find a single X5 (any variant) with that option in a 200 mile radius. So, BMW, describe it to us. With more than 3 sentences. Tell us how it makes our car better and convince us to buy it. Sales 101 stuff..

Granted, other manufacturers are just as bad, but BMW has SO many more options than most of the other brands out there, it's just more glaring that they don't tell us/show us exhaustive detail on the options.
You make some excellent points. I've already made three trips to my local (30 miles away) dealer to look at different options as they show up on x5's that others have been ordered (they have none in stock). I still have not seen most of the options and would really like to see things like a leather dash and ceramic controls, etc. Is there a way to make recommendations to BMW in a format that they will see. It might not help, as they are German , but then again it just might!
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2014, 03:38 AM   #4
busta1978
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X5 XDrive50i MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavman View Post
To anyone who has seen or purchased JUST the nappa leather dashboard option in an X5 with Dakota leather interior (without the full Nappa Ivory or Mocha Design Package), does the stitched Nappa leather continue below the glove box and air vents and surround the climate control and radio controls?

I currently have Nappa seats / Nappa leather Dash in an E70 and the stitched Nappa leather covers all the areas below the glove box and underneath the air vents, but I am unsure if that is because I also have the Nappa leather seats or is that what the Nappa Leather Dashboard gives you.

Reason for asking is that I love the look of the Nappa Dashboard but may opt for the Ivory Dakota with Black carpets instead of the full Ivory Nappa Design package and am trying to figure out what surfaces are covered with the stitched Nappa leather when ordering JUST the Nappa Leather Dashboard option on its own with Dakota leather seating.

Anyone with pictures of the Nappa Leather Dashboard in X5s that have Dakota leather for the seats, particularly the areas around the climate control and under the glove box, would be most appreciated.

The online configurator is not detailed enough or large enough for me to determine what, if anything, is covered in stitched Nappa leather in addition to the top of the dashboard.

Thanks in advance.
Hi Cavman,

I ordered it on my car and had a look at it when it arrived. There are a couple of mods taking place that I am waiting for like lower grille fins and 21" wheels plus an annoying little fix that needs to be made and so will post a full set of pics when I receive the car.

Having had a quick look at my car though I can confirm to you that the leather dash option covers everything on the top of the dashboard surrounding the TFT screen all the way down to the interior trim (wood or aluminium whichever you picked) and across to where the the driver console is (basically the top part of the entire dash). Plus the stitched leather finish is applied to the top trim of all the doors.

Not sure about the lower part of the dash and although I doubt it, I will make sure I post a full set of pics to confirm.

What I am sure about 100% however is that this is an option that is well worth getting because it really gives the interior a whole new feeling. It just lifts everything to a whole new level.

Hope this helps.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2014, 07:35 AM   #5
1230vani
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G05 40i LCI

Quote:

Thanks in advance.
Try playing with the configurator on bmw.se . The picture is clearer and bigger. I took one snapshot, but playing with nappa packages and leather dash, you should be able to spot the difference. I think with the dash only upper part + upper door part is leather.

Great option though! I wanted dakota mocha which is the ONLY reason I did not get it (not available with that combo and YES I am pissed at BMW for doing that as I would have gotten a few more options like nappa dash, comfort seats and ventilation). Nappa mocha way too sensitive for a family of four (2 young children).
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-23-2014, 11:13 AM   #6
cataitu
Private
Luxembourg
Rep
Drives: X5 F15 M50d

Hi there, I have the option on my X5 and I can confirm it only covers the top of the dashboard and the top of the door panels (front and back). To be honest I thought it would go below the trim, but it doesn't. Too bad to have this option delivering less on X5 than on the new X6, where you can actually see the leather trims are covering the side panels of the column between the driver and the passenger.
However, it is a nice option to add as it definitely gives a luxury feel to a car with a rather spartan interior.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2014, 12:22 PM   #7
sand99
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G05 X5/F80 M3

I have the ivory white/black dakota leather with nappa leather dash and ceramic controls on my X5.

The nappa leather dashboard option only adds leather to the top of the dashboard and the top of each door. When you order this option, the leather is black nappa with black stitching (so no contrasting stitching).

If you order the mocha or ivory white interior design package, you get contrasting stitching on the top of the dash and doors. However, you won't get leather on the glovebox, lower door panels. See page 14/15 of the X5 online brochure http://www.bmwusa.com/standard/conte...a-8969998e1ab2

I chose the ivory white/black dakota combination because the ivory white interior design package includes white carpeting which is just too much maintenance keeping the carpets clean. I was a little disappointed that the leather dash option doesn't include contrasting stitching, and would've gladly paid a little extra for it, but I don't regret the decision as it dresses up the interior nicely.

Let me know if you have any other questions. I could also take some pics if you'd like.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2014, 12:30 PM   #8
Cavman
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X5 35i M-Sport

Thanks.

Thanks to all the quick replies. Will a look forward to photos from Busta1978.

Sand99, yours is the exact combo I am thinking so would love to see some interior pics if you have the time.

1230vani, will also try the .se configurator as well.

Thanks again for the info.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2014, 04:42 PM   #9
sand99
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G05 X5/F80 M3

I just remembered that I made a couple of interior videos at the dealership when my X5 first came off the truck. You can see the leather dash option well here:

You can see the leather door trim here:

Last edited by sand99; 06-23-2014 at 06:59 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2014, 12:06 PM   #10
busta1978
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X5 XDrive50i MSport

Quote:
Thanks to all the quick replies. Will a look forward to photos from Busta1978.

Sand99, yours is the exact combo I am thinking so would love to see some interior pics if you have the time.

1230vani, will also try the .se configurator as well.

Thanks again for the info.
@Cavman:

Just saw my car today and got a couple of quick pics of the extended leather. Not sure if you ordered it or not yet but I would advise you hit that option...
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-21-2014, 09:32 AM   #11
Buckerine
Private
Rep
Drives: X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by busta1978 View Post
@Cavman:

Just saw my car today and got a couple of quick pics of the extended leather. Not sure if you ordered it or not yet but I would advise you hit that option...
Looks terrific. Definitely getting this on my next truck.
Appreciate 0