BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

07-14-2014, 10:40 PM   #1
HansRobert
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5 xDrive 40e

Ready? Please advise!

I've been reading this forum for several months now (and thanks to all for the abundance of information presented here), have visited the dealership several times, have driven the X5 often, watched all the YouTube videos on X5 I could find and have done many computer builds. I have put off ordering, waiting for the 2015 models to be available, which is now!. So it is time to _ _ _ _ or get off the pot!

We currently drive a Lexus RX450h (in addition to a Ram 1500 and a Prius V). We have had it for slightly more than 3 years. With 30k miles it has been a great car with no problems whatsoever. Plus the Lexus dealership is outstanding, the best of whom I've ever had the pleasure of doing business.

My wife is the primary driver of the Prius, the truck is primarily mine. The X5 will be primarily mine to drive as well. Our (or my ) fun vehicle!

We have owned three BMW's all of which have been great.

With all that being said, I find myself being a little hesitant to actually sign on the dotted line and I'm not exactly sure why. Perhaps it is because I hear of the problems being experienced by many and the dealerships that seem unresponsive.

I guess it boils down to whether or not I will be happy with the X5 as compared to the Lexus. I know that only I can decide but if anyone could give any advice or suggestions, like always, they would be greatly appreciated.

Sorry for being a bit longwinded!
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2014, 10:59 PM   #2
xdriverx
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW X5 35i Xdrive

To me it was a matter of innovation vs. stagnation. BMW X5 just does a lot better than its competitors. It may have some flaws but the pros more than make up for it. I'll let the other users give you more details about those pros as I'm sure they have them in abundance. I just wanted to throw in my 2 quick cents.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2014, 11:01 PM   #3
ramsal
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 X5 & 2018 M3

I've had my share of issues with the X5, however I still love the car. It is precisely because I like the car so much why I find it so frustrating when the dealer keeps it for 2 weeks without meaningful updates or reasons. I just got into my X5 after driving around in a loaner 320xi for 2 weeks and what a difference, no comparison.

If you have an established relationship with your SA or Service Manager you may need to work that angle, or, if you're like me with no pervious dealings with the dealer you need to let them know about your dissatisfaction and be willing the escalate issues, as frustrating as that may be. I worry that I'm starting to develop a reputation at my dealer but that's what it took to get my issues addressed.

Ultimately no one can make this decision for you, but if you want to play it safe, wait a year or two while they work out the kinks.

Good luck with your decision, only you can make it.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2014, 06:11 AM   #4
barcelona
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: X

Not sure how you define happy. 2015 quality and issues should be better than 2014. Leasing may ease your concerns. If one is really risk adverse to having issues then Lexus is probably better. If dealer indifference is an issue, try a top 10 Excellence Award dealership, #10 is Sun Motor Cars BMW, Mechanicsburg, PA

https://www.press.bmwgroup.com/usa/p...item=node__817
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2014, 06:20 AM   #5
Overtaxed
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: RR Diesel, F450

Quote:
Originally Posted by HansRobert View Post
With all that being said, I find myself being a little hesitant to actually sign on the dotted line and I'm not exactly sure why. Perhaps it is because I hear of the problems being experienced by many and the dealerships that seem unresponsive.

I guess it boils down to whether or not I will be happy with the X5 as compared to the Lexus. I know that only I can decide but if anyone could give any advice or suggestions, like always, they would be greatly appreciated.

Here comes an unpopular view...

The X5 and the Lexus are nearly opposite ends of the SUV spectrum. The RX is a station wagon with a lift kit. The X5 is a Corvette with a lift kit. The almost couldn't be more different and still both be SUVs. If you want that "fall asleep driving" feeling that a Lexus has, you're going to hate the BMW. They are totally different vehicles that just happen to have a similar outside profile.

Now, for the unpopular part. I've owned Japanese cars before, and, the simple fact of the matter, IMHO, is that if you want reliability that's rock solid, don't buy a German car. I've had 2 Acuras and a Lexus. All of them were boring to drive, didn't have the latest tech in them, and weren't "wow" cars to sit in. However, they were shockingly reliable compared to the 2 Mercedes, Jaguar and I expect BMW. Lexus vehicles are also dramatically cheaper to work on; scheduled maintenance on my Lexus was about 100-200 bucks (sometimes under 100 if it just needed oil). As a point of comparison, maintenance on my ML350 was (prepaid) something like 3000 dollars for 50K miles (or 4 trips to the dealer), probably close to 4-5X the cost of Lexus/Acura maintenance. All of my European cars have had several issues at delivery and spent a few days in/out of the dealership during the first month or so of their lives (this does NOT include the X5, it's been pretty much perfect so far) which I just take as par for the course.

This is a long way of saying; "what do you want in a car"? If reliability is your number 1 concern, IMHO, you're looking in the wrong place with BMW/Mercedes/Range Rover/Audi. You need to look at Lexus/Infinity/Acura, they are all going to be more reliable and much less expensive to maintain. The Lexus came stock with tires that would do 40-50K miles per set (hard all seasons) and cost about 900 bucks for 4 new tires. The BMW 20" tires on the X5 will get 15K or so per set and cost 2000 for 4 new tires. Again, just get ready to "multiply" normal maintenance numbers when dealing with European cars.

If, however, sporty performance in a SUV is your number one concern, you're absolutely in the right place, and, as long as the costs above aren't over the top for you, the X5 is going to be a great vehicle for you! Or if you want over the top technology, the X5 really delivers is that area as well. If you want great interior, look at the X5 design packages, Mercedes Designo, and Range Rover; Lexus/Infinity/Acura have nothing in that zip code at all. For exterior looks, I'd say the RR and BMW are probably at the top of the heap, but, that's very subjective.

I know that everyone want's "everything" in their vehicles. A car that's soft on the road, but can pull 1+Gs in the corner, 0-60 in 4 sec but 30MPG, great interior that's impervious to children/dirt.. What you need to do is figure out what's most important to you and start your search there. If it's reliability, you're probably looking at the wrong car. Just like if it was "sporty driving" and you were looking at a Lexus RX, you're looking at the wrong car. Others will disagree I'm sure; this is just my personal take on it having owned several European cars after coming out of years of Japanese vehicles.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2014, 06:39 AM   #6
StewartE
Rep
Drives: 2014 F15

I bought my first X5 after having a Lexus 330 for 9 years (purchased new). What I appreciated about the Lexus was its incredible reliability and comfortable ride. I finally decided I wanted something newer and after driving the X5 (among others), I was hooked. Not only was it as comfortable as the Lexus with much better technology, it was FUN! In the end, that outweighed any concern I had about differences in reliability. Good luck in deciding what is most important to you.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2014, 09:43 AM   #7
Karthik
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 x35i M Sport

Don't miss the opportunity that you have. You should not regret after few years that you missed something. Getting X5 will definitely add joy to your life and you will be happy for it. There might be some stuff that is good outside, but getting what you like is the end point.

Talking about the issues, I am sure we can survive with them, after all they are not the end of the world.

I will tell you an example about our daily use product, (smartphones). 10 years ago, we used to use our phones for years, but now a days we cannot use it for more than 2+ years and you get more issues while using it. It doesn't mean that we are going back to older phones. We still use smartphones.

I am sure, you will get more positive opinions from others. I would say, GO for it.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2014, 11:16 AM   #8
sand99
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G05 X5/F80 M3

You're going to love the X5. It's an amazing SUV!

With that being said though, if reliability is your main concern, I agree that the Lexus is hard to beat. The Japanese brands are definitely ahead of the Germans in this regard, and have been for quite some time.

I agree with barcelona's advice on finding a "center of excellence" dealer. It makes a big difference. My dealer won the award a few years back -- they have a HUGE fleet of loaners available: and when assigning loaners they will try to put you in the vehicle you bought, or at worst the same class of car (so if you have an X5 and they're out of X5 loaners, they will get you a 5 series). They even have 7 series loaners available. All of their loaners are well equipped too -- often with sport package+MC seats and even navigation (although it's now standard). Historically, they've also been very quick with service. Even when they have to order a part they will get it overnight'ed. This happened twice with our X3, so it was never down for more than a few days.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2014, 11:39 AM   #9
MJF120
Private
Rep
Drives: X5 25D

I'm not sure there are really that many problems with this model - it's just that problems get written about a lot. My only issues have been a rattle on the tailgate which seems to have fixed itself and a creek on the centre armrest which I fixed with a bit of insulating tape but may mention to my dealer when my first service is due. So really, I've had no issues and I suspect there are many more who've had no issues.

As time goes on they will amend the spec and it's always annoying when you order and then hear about something you may be missing out on - so it's probably best to order, enjoy your car and stop checking for spec changes on this forum! (Which I clearly haven't done!)
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2014, 12:27 PM   #10
ramsal
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 X5 & 2018 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJF120 View Post
I'm not sure there are really that many problems with this model - it's just that problems get written about a lot. My only issues have been a rattle on the tailgate which seems to have fixed itself and a creek on the centre armrest which I fixed with a bit of insulating tape but may mention to my dealer when my first service is due. So really, I've had no issues and I suspect there are many more who've had no issues.

As time goes on they will amend the spec and it's always annoying when you order and then hear about something you may be missing out on - so it's probably best to order, enjoy your car and stop checking for spec changes on this forum! (Which I clearly haven't done!)
Just an FYI: The dealer just fixed my tailgate by replacing the latch, if your issues comes back they should know how to address it.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2014, 03:13 PM   #11
BMWMN1971
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X5 xDrive35i MSport

I would start by saying that the economics of leasing a BMW X5 versus all the other comparable options (in my case comparables were Audi Q7, Range Rover Sport, ML350 and Porsche Cayenne) played a role in my decision to lease the X5 but other than that the experience of having leased 3 X5 in the last 8 years was what really made up my mind to get the 4th one (2014 X5). I really tried hard to get a ML since the car is for my wife and I only drive it on weekends but every time I test drove a ML it was clear that was the wrong choice. As many mentioned here, the driving experience is way different. As for the Porsche and Range Rover, reliability did not play a role at all since it is a leasing for 3 years but the economics of leasing one of those cars was scary. There was no financial sense for not getting the BMW.

Regarding your comparison to Lexus or even Acura, in my opinion there is no comparison. I own an Inifiniti and although it is a great car and very reliable it is not even close to a BMW. I would say the Japanese cars sit together in a different category. Yes, they are realiable but not fun to drive. Also, I don't think they are comparable in terms of technology and luxury. They are in my opinion updated Toyotas, Nissans and Hondas.

I had issues with the rearview camera on my new X5 that was finally solved after 3 trips to the dealer but other than that the car is a lot of fun to drive and I am jealous of my wife every morning when she drives off on the X5 while I drive my old G35
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2014, 07:33 PM   #12
Overtaxed
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWMN1971 View Post
I would start by saying that the economics of leasing a BMW X5 versus all the other comparable options (in my case comparables were Audi Q7, Range Rover Sport, ML350 and Porsche Cayenne) played a role in my decision to lease the X5 but other than that the experience of having leased 3 X5 in the last 8 years was what really made up my mind to get the 4th one (2014 X5). I really tried hard to get a ML since the car is for my wife and I only drive it on weekends but every time I test drove a ML it was clear that was the wrong choice. As many mentioned here, the driving experience is way different. As for the Porsche and Range Rover, reliability did not play a role at all since it is a leasing for 3 years but the economics of leasing one of those cars was scary. There was no financial sense for not getting the BMW.

Regarding your comparison to Lexus or even Acura, in my opinion there is no comparison. I own an Inifiniti and although it is a great car and very reliable it is not even close to a BMW. I would say the Japanese cars sit together in a different category. Yes, they are realiable but not fun to drive. Also, I don't think they are comparable in terms of technology and luxury. They are in my opinion updated Toyotas, Nissans and Hondas.

I had issues with the rearview camera on my new X5 that was finally solved after 3 trips to the dealer but other than that the car is a lot of fun to drive and I am jealous of my wife every morning when she drives off on the X5 while I drive my old G35
Totally agree. And yes, the Range Rover simply cannot be leased unless you're out of your mind. And that's a car with a known history of problems that you have to buy, and, it ain't cheap. No thank you.

There's a comparison to Acura/Lexus/Infinity if you want a car that's a luxury truck and has a nice interior. Which, frankly, is what most women (in particular) and some men want. But, if you want a fun to drive truck, no, there's no comparison. The Infinity is the closest, and, IMHO, the X5 beats it in every category that matters. Well, except price and cost of ownership!
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2014, 10:55 PM   #13
hanman
BMW ENTHUSIAST
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3 COMPETITION

Garage List
I have had mine (X35i M sport) for 2 months now and I love it. Looks great drives great and feels amazing to be in. I wouldn't let the problems influence your decision since that can happen with any brand. This is my second BMW after having been with Audi previously and I am completely sold on the driving experience with these cars
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2014, 11:10 AM   #14
NPickles
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F15 40D SE Space Grey/Terra

Quote:
Originally Posted by HansRobert View Post
I've been reading this forum for several months now (and thanks to all for the abundance of information presented here), have visited the dealership several times, have driven the X5 often, watched all the YouTube videos on X5 I could find and have done many computer builds. I have put off ordering, waiting for the 2015 models to be available, which is now!. So it is time to _ _ _ _ or get off the pot!

We currently drive a Lexus RX450h (in addition to a Ram 1500 and a Prius V). We have had it for slightly more than 3 years. With 30k miles it has been a great car with no problems whatsoever. Plus the Lexus dealership is outstanding, the best of whom I've ever had the pleasure of doing business.

My wife is the primary driver of the Prius, the truck is primarily mine. The X5 will be primarily mine to drive as well. Our (or my ) fun vehicle!

We have owned three BMW's all of which have been great.

I have just come out of a Lexus RX450h into an F15 X5. I drove the RX for 4 years, 62k miles. Yes it's a nice car but the in car tech is lacking. Before I had the RX I had a Prius.

I love my X5, have only had it for 6 days but put about 750 miles on it already and I am a BMW convert. I went for the 40D SE model plus many options including comfort seats.

Inside it is pretty much the same quality as the RX, outside it may not be the panel gap perfection that is Lexus but it is pretty damn close.

The X5 has more get up and go then the RX did, is faster to 60 and pulls like a train. In my RX I used to get 30mpg (imperial) if I was lucky, more like mid to high 20's. First long trip in my X5 and I got over 33mpg without trying.

The X5 leaves the RX for dead with the in car tech, nav is way better, ipod integration is so much better and the send to car functionality does exactly what is says on the tin. Lexus is just getting into this area whereas BMW has been at it for years and it shows.

For me the X5 is a considerably higher RRP than the RX (I contract hire) but the monthly payments with the X5 are lower than they would be for a new RX with similar equipment levels.

I used to tow a large trailer with the RX and it coped okay but it killed the mpg, the X5 tows the same trailer like it isn't even attached.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2014, 12:28 PM   #15
skalberti
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 Mineral White M3

My wife has a 2012 X5 M sport. Before we bought it in 2012 we drove the Lexus GX and RX, Acura MDX, Mercedes ML and Range Rover. She was coming out of a 2010 Lexus IS 350. Hands down the BMW won. Just ordered a 2015 X5 M sport. We drove the same cars listed above again as well as the 2015 Cadillac Escalade. BMW just had all the features, looks and handling that we're looking for. The user interface on our 2010 Lexus is pretty much the same on the new Lexus cars. So I feel Lexus is lacking in technokogy. My wife hated it. She loves the idrive. I wonder if Motortrend regrets all this bad reviews they gave on the idrive. It's widely duplicated in a lot high end cars now.
      07-16-2014, 10:23 PM   #16
chrisny
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 40i

Someone told me this when I got my first BMW, (I'm paraphrasing but this was the gist), you simply can't ask for a racecar and expect it to be as reliable as an economy car. This is obviously a bit exaggerated on both ends, most BMW's aren't racecars and a Lexus isn't an economy car. But the point remains the same and it's this simple: "you have to pay to play." Yes, a BMW is not as reliable as a microwave, a refrigerator, a Honda, or a Lexus. But, most are surely more fun to drive. And BMW's are also not exactly unreliable, they're just not the MOST reliable.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2014, 11:05 PM   #17
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X5 50i

Lexus RX: super quiet, not as fast, very soft handling - it's meant to be a sleeper vehicle.

BMW X5: probably some of the best suspension vehicles on the market, have a tougher body, better interior tech as mentioned by chrisny, strong powerful engines that are actually more powerful than listed on paper for tax break purposes.

I drove my brother's 2014 ML63 AMG two days ago on the highway. My BMW X5 5.0i drives/handles better, has better cabin sound isolation so the roar of the 5.0i doesn't get to you like it does in the ML63. I'm shocked at how much more comfortable the Dakota leather is than the Mercedes Designo leather. I have the multi-contour seats, and they are far more comfortable than his Designo bucket seats. Even in terms of looks, we have the exact same color combo, Metallic White exterior paints and Black interior leathers, and the technology on the BMW is still better. I know this isn't related at all to your situation. I'm just pointing out that the BMW comfort/handling and overall experience surprised me. My previous car was a 2004 Infiniti FX35. I loved it. It is a great Japanese vehicle with a solid suspension that is even better than the BMW's in my honest opinion. My close family friend's all have different Lexus vehicles. They are good reliable cars with some of the best resale values on the market...especially the RX...that's why you see TOO many of them everywhere, lol.

@HansRobert, what version are you leaning towards?
      07-17-2014, 05:19 AM   #18
NPickles
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F15 40D SE Space Grey/Terra

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisny View Post
Someone told me this when I got my first BMW, (I'm paraphrasing but this was the gist), you simply can't ask for a racecar and expect it to be as reliable as an economy car. This is obviously a bit exaggerated on both ends, most BMW's aren't racecars and a Lexus isn't an economy car. But the point remains the same and it's this simple: "you have to pay to play." Yes, a BMW is not as reliable as a microwave, a refrigerator, a Honda, or a Lexus. But, most are surely more fun to drive. And BMW's are also not exactly unreliable, they're just not the MOST reliable.
Yes Lexus are reliable but, in common with most modern cars, when things go wrong they tend to go wrong in a BIG way.

For example, about 6 months ago, my RX had an electric motor failure. I was turning off a road and went to go and had no go just a grinding noise instead. Fortunately for me I was able to get off the road into my car park at work so no harm done but it would have been a different matter if the electric motor had quit while on the motorway at speed.

In total it required about £3000 worth of parts, about £2000 worth of labour and 4 weeks to fix. It had a whole new transaxle assembly, which meant the engine had to be removed, and various other drivetrain components like bearings replaced which surprised me on a 3 1/2 year old fully serviced vehicle with only 52k miles on the clock.

Fortunately for me it was a fully maintained contract hire vehicle so was repaired at no cost to me.

Now this is probably a one off, but a very expensive one off, but all cars as they get more and more complex run the risk of ever more expensive failures.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2014, 06:49 AM   #19
Overtaxed
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by opasha View Post
Lexus RX: super quiet, not as fast, very soft handling - it's meant to be a sleeper vehicle.

BMW X5: probably some of the best suspension vehicles on the market, have a tougher body, better interior tech as mentioned by chrisny, strong powerful engines that are actually more powerful than listed on paper for tax break purposes.

I drove my brother's 2014 ML63 AMG two days ago on the highway. My BMW X5 5.0i drives/handles better, has better cabin sound isolation so the roar of the 5.0i doesn't get to you like it does in the ML63. I'm shocked at how much more comfortable the Dakota leather is than the Mercedes Designo leather. I have the multi-contour seats, and they are far more comfortable than his Designo bucket seats. Even in terms of looks, we have the exact same color combo, Metallic White exterior paints and Black interior leathers, and the technology on the BMW is still better. I know this isn't related at all to your situation. I'm just pointing out that the BMW comfort/handling and overall experience surprised me. My previous car was a 2004 Infiniti FX35. I loved it. It is a great Japanese vehicle with a solid suspension that is even better than the BMW's in my honest opinion. My close family friend's all have different Lexus vehicles. They are good reliable cars with some of the best resale values on the market...especially the RX...that's why you see TOO many of them everywhere, lol.

@HansRobert, what version are you leaning towards?
Couldn't agree more on the RX. Had one, I think it was trying to kill me by lulling me to sleep at the wheel. And it was so quiet it could have been electric. However, that said, it was a great car, just not the right car for me. I still miss the 100 dollar services on the Lexus.

The ML Designo seats might not be as comfortable, but, OMG are they nice to look at. My car right before the X5 was an ML. It was a nice truck; but the X5 is more fun to drive. The ML63 is a drag racing truck (as the RR Sport Supercharged), they are great in a straight line; anything twisty, you'd much rather have the BMW. Also, I agree, the tech in the X5 is top the heap right now (at least for European, which is all I looked at). The RR is out of the stone age. And the new ML isn't as good as the X5, it's close, but the X5 is better in several significant ways.

IMHO, the place the ML has the X5 right now is in interior (if you get the Designo). Again, it's close, the design package from BMW is very nice. But I think the ML's is better, the leather is softer, there's more of it, and I think it just looks better. In most other areas, the X5 wins the battle (at least the areas that matter to me).

Also, as an FYI, if you want diesel, the ML should probably be off your radar. We really considered getting another ML but the dealer couldn't order them anymore (MY switchover) and the new ML diesel is a tiny little oil burner. HP/torque/towing capacity are all down. The mighty ML550 is also being replaced with an engine that has lower output numbers. Only the ML63 remains with the V8 firebreather. CAFE regulations is what the dealer told me, they can't continue to import the big engines without paying fines. I think they should have paid the fines, at least to keep the big diesel here.

If things continue how they are, you might want to keep the car you buy today for a LOOONG time. I'm not sure 5 years from now, that you're going to be able to get stuff like the V8 engine or even the larger diesel engines in the US anymore.

All of the EU guys are heading this way. RR just dropped their big V8 NA engine, replaced with a V6 supercharged. I like big V8 engines, and, when spending 60-100K on a car, I honestly could care less about a gain of 2-3MPG, gasoline is the least expensive part of owning these cars.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2014, 07:09 AM   #20
chrisny
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPickles
all cars as they get more and more complex run the risk of ever more expensive failures.
I think this sums up BMW issues too, the more you want your car to do besides drive from a to b, the more things that can and will fail.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2014, 07:10 AM   #21
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overtaxed View Post
Couldn't agree more on the RX. Had one, I think it was trying to kill me by lulling me to sleep at the wheel. And it was so quiet it could have been electric. However, that said, it was a great car, just not the right car for me. I still miss the 100 dollar services on the Lexus.

The ML Designo seats might not be as comfortable, but, OMG are they nice to look at. My car right before the X5 was an ML. It was a nice truck; but the X5 is more fun to drive. The ML63 is a drag racing truck (as the RR Sport Supercharged), they are great in a straight line; anything twisty, you'd much rather have the BMW. Also, I agree, the tech in the X5 is top the heap right now (at least for European, which is all I looked at). The RR is out of the stone age. And the new ML isn't as good as the X5, it's close, but the X5 is better in several significant ways.

IMHO, the place the ML has the X5 right now is in interior (if you get the Designo). Again, it's close, the design package from BMW is very nice. But I think the ML's is better, the leather is softer, there's more of it, and I think it just looks better. In most other areas, the X5 wins the battle (at least the areas that matter to me).

Also, as an FYI, if you want diesel, the ML should probably be off your radar. We really considered getting another ML but the dealer couldn't order them anymore (MY switchover) and the new ML diesel is a tiny little oil burner. HP/torque/towing capacity are all down. The mighty ML550 is also being replaced with an engine that has lower output numbers. Only the ML63 remains with the V8 firebreather. CAFE regulations is what the dealer told me, they can't continue to import the big engines without paying fines. I think they should have paid the fines, at least to keep the big diesel here.

If things continue how they are, you might want to keep the car you buy today for a LOOONG time. I'm not sure 5 years from now, that you're going to be able to get stuff like the V8 engine or even the larger diesel engines in the US anymore.

All of the EU guys are heading this way. RR just dropped their big V8 NA engine, replaced with a V6 supercharged. I like big V8 engines, and, when spending 60-100K on a car, I honestly could care less about a gain of 2-3MPG, gasoline is the least expensive part of owning these cars.
Well said, Overtaxed. Don't get me wrong. The ML63 is beautiful. I love how the Designo looks and feels. The only reason I docked it under the BMW was because the bucket/sport seats of the ML63 aren't adjustable like the Multi Contour seats on how they hug you. They feel rather stiff on the sides and this got annoying on the hour drive. What you said about a straight line drag car...you are totally right. It started to drizzle and I was going 60 in a 65mph zone, and guess what the car slightly hydroplaned with no sharp turn or anything of that regard. That's the biggest thing even Jeremy Clarkson says in his test drive videos of AMG vehicles. Too much power for their own good...fun to drive...difficult to handle if not going in a straight line. I think this is where BMW gets it right. The handling is superb. If Audi remotely even tried to match BMW or Mercedes in power, they would be one of my top choice vehicles. I stay far away from Audi because they are far too overpriced for a decent power vehicle and far too underpowered for a normal priced vehicle. It's sad but true. Remember the V8 R8? They scratched that and installed the V10 Gallardo engine - then it started selling like crazy. Lexus is great for an every day long commute because of how comfortable and quiet it is. I drove an IS-F when it was first released a few years back on the track at Summit Point, WV; it was one of the most fun experiences I've ever had. That was when I knew Lexus HAD great potential if they bothered. The rest of their cars don't really have the great balance of power/handling like the IS-F. I'm kind of curious to see how they new vehicles perform.

Anyway, that was a long random tangent, lol. Back to topic. I always get the RIGHT vehicle for you no matter what company it is. The X5 is definitely the best SUV BMW has out of their 5 X lines in my opinion.
      07-17-2014, 08:34 PM   #22
HansRobert
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5 xDrive 40e

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you for all the comments and suggestions. They have helped seal to deal for my wife and me. We made an appointment for next week to see if we can put together an order for a 2015 X5. Trying to understand the new 2015 Ordering Guide is a bit of a challenge with out being able to do a 2015 "build your own" on the BMW website.

It does make me feel a little better knowing our dealership of choice is number 10 in the list of Excellence Award dealers as pointed out by barcelona. And like many of you stated it's about the fun of driving, which is lacking in the Lexus!

What color is the most important question to my wife. I was originally thinking Mineral White (I know many of you have this color and I can see why). But we have a white car and Di is leaning toward Sparkling Brown. Either way we will go with the Terra Dakota leather. Any thoughts on Sparkling Brown?

If we go with SB I think the X-line is better and if MW then the Luxury Line.

Again, thanks for helping me clarify my thinking!
Appreciate 1