BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

07-21-2014, 07:05 AM   #1
NPickles
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F15 40D SE Space Grey/Terra

Phone ringtone muted after connecting to car

I have a weird problem that I am struggling to replicate on demand though I am fairly sure it is to do with the bluetooth/snap in cradle in the F15.

I have an HTC One M8, connected via Bluetooth or Snap In adapter to the X5.

The problem I am having is that sometimes when I am no longer connected to the car the ringtone on the phone is silent when I get a call.

The ringtone volume is turned up to max, even if I go to choose another tone it is silent on the phone. So far the only way to fix it is to reboot the phone, hardly convenient.

I have used the exact same phone in other cars without issue. I only connect to my F15, no other cars or devices.

When in the cradle I do have BMW Connected as a default app, maybe it is this. It's just really hard to test as I have tried it and can't replicate on demand but have had it happen a few times now and I'm missing calls as a result of it.

Has anyone else seen anything like this?
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2014, 07:43 AM   #2
Baunton
Major
England
Rep
Drives: X5 45e 2021

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPickles View Post
I have a weird problem that I am struggling to replicate on demand though I am fairly sure it is to do with the bluetooth/snap in cradle in the F15.

I have an HTC One M8, connected via Bluetooth or Snap In adapter to the X5.

The problem I am having is that sometimes when I am no longer connected to the car the ringtone on the phone is silent when I get a call.

The ringtone volume is turned up to max, even if I go to choose another tone it is silent on the phone. So far the only way to fix it is to reboot the phone, hardly convenient.

I have used the exact same phone in other cars without issue. I only connect to my F15, no other cars or devices.

When in the cradle I do have BMW Connected as a default app, maybe it is this. It's just really hard to test as I have tried it and can't replicate on demand but have had it happen a few times now and I'm missing calls as a result of it.

Has anyone else seen anything like this?
Hi.
I have the Snap-In for my 4S and have no issues when not connected to my X5. Unique issue with HTC maybe?
Have you checked on the BMW.CO.UK site to see if your phone is fully compatible?
Contact BMW Support if this fails?
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2014, 08:32 AM   #3
NPickles
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baunton View Post
Hi.
I have the Snap-In for my 4S and have no issues when not connected to my X5. Unique issue with HTC maybe?
Have you checked on the BMW.CO.UK site to see if your phone is fully compatible?
Contact BMW Support if this fails?
Yes, I have checked on the bmw.co.uk bluetooth check site and it is fully supported, more so than a 4S by the looks of it.

I'll drop BMW a line and see what they come up with.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2014, 08:45 AM   #4
Baunton
Major
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPickles View Post
Yes, I have checked on the bmw.co.uk bluetooth check site and it is fully supported, more so than a 4S by the looks of it.

I'll drop BMW a line and see what they come up with.
Good Luck. FYI I had an HTC One..that was supposed to be compatible with my E70. It never was..that's when I scrapped it and got the 4S.

Never looked back since
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2014, 09:08 AM   #5
Barbja
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X4 M40i

Does this only happen in your house or does it happen randomly?

I used to experience this issue, but also when it happened, I could hear the person on the phone, but they could not hear me. Also, it only happened in my house. What was happening is that: 1) I have comfort access, 2) I do not lock my car when I get home so the car wasn't shutting down right away, 3) the phone was retaining bluetooth connection to the car until the car shut itself down. I had this issue with both an iPhone 4 and an iPhone 5.

I could fix the issue by locking, then unlocking the car when I get home. I hardly ever did that so most of the time I just missed calls for a while after I got home. Or if I noticed them, I would click the speaker icon and redirect from the car to the phone.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2014, 09:17 AM   #6
Baunton
Major
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbja View Post

I used to experience this issue, but also when it happened, I could hear the person on the phone, but they could not hear me. Also, it only happened in my house. What was happening is that: 1) I have comfort access, 2) I do not lock my car when I get home so the car wasn't shutting down right away, 3) the phone was retaining bluetooth connection to the car until the car shut itself down. I had this issue with both an iPhone 4 and an iPhone 5.

I could fix the issue by locking, then unlocking the car when I get home. I hardly ever did that so most of the time I just missed calls for a while after I got home. Or if I noticed them, I would click the speaker icon and redirect from the car to the phone.
Sounds like its still retaining the BT connection even after the engine was turned off......my Nokia automatically drops the connection when the engine is off.

You leave your car unlocked?
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2014, 09:56 AM   #7
NPickles
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:

It's not only at home but so far appears pretty random but I'm only going to use the bluetooth, not the cradle, for a few days to see if it re-occurs, then use the cradle with no bluetooth for a few days to test it the other way around.

The car is locked and the phone shows no bluetooth connection, it happened today at work but after a reset all is fine again.

I've emailed BMW but don't hold out much hope, hopefully they'll prove me wrong.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2014, 10:18 AM   #8
Barbja
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X4 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baunton View Post
You leave your car unlocked?
In my garage that's attached to my house, yes. Out in the driveway, no. If someone can get into my garage while I'm home, I've got bigger problems than them messing with my car.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2014, 10:29 AM   #9
Baunton
Major
England
Rep

Quote:
In my garage that's attached to my house, yes. Out in the driveway, no. If someone can get into my garage while I'm home, I've got bigger problems than them messing with my car.
Appreciate 0