BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

03-01-2014, 04:43 AM   #1
Zipforia
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW i8

Voice Command asks to many questions?

Do you find that Voice Command asks too many confirmations on iDrive?

If I'm calling someone, I'll say, "Call so and so." Then it'll ask, "Did you mean so and so?" And I'll say, "Yes." Then it'll ask me, "Say the line number" (if I have more than one phone number for that person). Then, I'll say the line number, "Number 2." Then it'll ask me, "Did you say number 2?" Then, I'll say, "Yes." Then it'll finally call. GEEZ!!! I'm surprised it doesn't ask me, "Are you SURE you want to call that person?"

Why can I say "Call so and so." Then just ask me which line and just call that number???

Is there a way to shorten this?

Z.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2014, 07:44 AM   #2
chrisny
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 40i

I don't think so. I would say use Siri instead, but she makes me repeat myself more than me 3 year old lol. At least she doesn't ask "why" though
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2014, 01:12 PM   #3
GSAL55
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 2016 340i xDrive Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zipforia View Post
Do you find that Voice Command asks too many confirmations on iDrive?

If I'm calling someone, I'll say, "Call so and so." Then it'll ask, "Did you mean so and so?" And I'll say, "Yes." Then it'll ask me, "Say the line number" (if I have more than one phone number for that person). Then, I'll say the line number, "Number 2." Then it'll ask me, "Did you say number 2?" Then, I'll say, "Yes." Then it'll finally call. GEEZ!!! I'm surprised it doesn't ask me, "Are you SURE you want to call that person?"

Why can I say "Call so and so." Then just ask me which line and just call that number???

Is there a way to shorten this?

Z.
Voice commands are a pain in the ass for BMWs. If you have an accent it doesn't work very well either. If you have navigation it is considerably easier. Am I to assume you have navigation?
MEDITERRANEAN BLUE METALLIC W/ BLACK NEVADA LEATHER & OYSTER HIGHLIGHT | SPORT PACKAGE | SPORT AUTOMATIC | HARMAN KARDON | PREMIUM PACKAGE | TECHNOLOGY PACKAGE | DRIVER ASSISTANCE PACKAGE | LIGHTING PACKAGE | CARBON FIBER M SPORT LIP SPOILER | BLACK KIDNEY GRILLES | BADGES OFF
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2014, 10:07 PM   #4
Zipforia
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW i8

Isn't Navigation standard in all X5?

Z.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2014, 11:05 PM   #5
DrDoreen
Private
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X6 M50i

Garage List
2020 BMW X6 M50i  [0.00]
2014 BMW X5  [9.34]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zipforia View Post
Isn't Navigation standard in all X5?

Z.
Yes, Nav is standard on all 2014 X5s. Did you store the 8 most phone numbers you call on the dash? At least you'll have 8 less numbers to deal with voice command
      07-18-2014, 10:35 PM   #6
Buckerine
Private
Rep
Drives: X5

I'm pretty sure there's an option in iDrive called "short commands" or something to that effect. Voice command speaks a lot less.

Although in the example you cited, it just seems like it's not picking up very well on what you're saying. Perhaps too much background noise or you're not speaking loud enough?
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2014, 01:29 PM   #7
Socal2025
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 540i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckerine View Post
I'm pretty sure there's an option in iDrive called "short commands" or something to that effect. Voice command speaks a lot less.

Although in the example you cited, it just seems like it's not picking up very well on what you're saying. Perhaps too much background noise or you're not speaking loud enough?
I use Siri by pressing and holding the voice command on the steering wheel. Siri, different from BMW's voice command, is more accurate and gets better over time.
Appreciate 0