Rep
Drives: '06 E90 - '04 E85 - '16 F15d

Garage List
2016 BMW X5 35d  [0.00]
2006 330i  [0.00]
2004 Z4 2.5i Roadster  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zipforia View Post
Here are the gas and diesel prices around my area. The circled one's are the gas stations that are near where I live and sell diesel.

Z.

Note: I circled the wrong 76 on the Premium section. Should be the Brookwood Lane one.

Thanks, this is representative of stations in my area (next to I-15 north SD County)
Attached Images

06-17-2014, 08:36 PM   #24
Zipforia
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW i8

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlc View Post
Thanks, this is representative of stations in my area (next to I-15 north SD County)
If that's the case, I would've considered diesel. But no such luck in my area.

Z.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2014, 10:11 PM   #25
vivalaReagan
Private
Rep
Drives: M235i

great feedback from everyone & i really appreciate all of it. i'm test driving all three engines again tomorrow (well, the 35d for the first time since i hadn't considered it previously). thanks again, everyone! i'll keep you posted.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2014, 06:47 PM   #26
barcelona
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: X

^^^ I see from another thread that you have started that the decision was the 35i.
Nice, I don't think that any of the 3 choices could be a wrong decision. Just curious was there any specific reason for selecting the 35i?
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2014, 11:23 PM   #27
vivalaReagan
Private
Rep
Drives: M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by barcelona
^^^ I see from another thread that you have started that the decision was the 35i.
Nice, I don't think that any of the 3 choices could be a wrong decision. Just curious was there any specific reason for selecting the 35i?
after coming to the same conclusion that all three engines had merit & i really couldn't make a wrong decision, i opted for the 35i.

ultimately, the 35i won out for a few reasons. after driving all three engines & contemplating the real world use this vehicle would experience, i concluded that the balance of off-the-line acceleration & mpg found in the 35i was best suited for my family's suburban driving habits.

we typically don't drive very often on the highway, negating the benefit of the midrange torque of the diesel. plus, we live in a small town where diesel isn't conveniently available. admittedly, i've never owned a diesel & i think i also suffered a bit of fear of the unknown. however, the torque and very favorable mpg made passing up the diesel a tough choice.

the 50i was a blast to test drive but would be significantly underutilized in our small suburban daily commute. additionally, the significantly low mpg combined with the frequent refueling was a turnoff, especially for my wife who will drive this vehicle quite a bit. finally, the additional utility offered by the larger engine wasn't enough to justify the incremental $10k-$13k in price. said another way, the practical side of me won out as my brain overcame my emotional desire for the 445 bhp 8 cylinder engine (dammit!).

lastly, i will probably add a tune to this engine & realize some of the upside of the 50i's bhp & the diesel's impressive torque, while maintaining the solid mpg of the i6. plus, i also own an m235i, which serves to quench my desire for speed when so motivated.

after reading the above, i probably overthought/over-analyzed this decision. lol

thanks for asking. cheers!
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2014, 04:21 AM   #28
barcelona
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: X

^^ Thanks for sharing, based upon your family needs the 35i is the best decision. Also, vast majority sold are 35i's. If needed/wanted yes the tune is optional. For me, I think diesel works best in warmer climates with long drives. Nice that you did drive all 3 models. Hopefully you can enjoy it soon.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2014, 10:55 AM   #29
Buckerine
Private
Rep
Drives: X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivalaReagan View Post
after coming to the same conclusion that all three engines had merit & i really couldn't make a wrong decision, i opted for the 35i.

ultimately, the 35i won out for a few reasons. after driving all three engines & contemplating the real world use this vehicle would experience, i concluded that the balance of off-the-line acceleration & mpg found in the 35i was best suited for my family's suburban driving habits.

we typically don't drive very often on the highway, negating the benefit of the midrange torque of the diesel. plus, we live in a small town where diesel isn't conveniently available. admittedly, i've never owned a diesel & i think i also suffered a bit of fear of the unknown. however, the torque and very favorable mpg made passing up the diesel a tough choice.

the 50i was a blast to test drive but would be significantly underutilized in our small suburban daily commute. additionally, the significantly low mpg combined with the frequent refueling was a turnoff, especially for my wife who will drive this vehicle quite a bit. finally, the additional utility offered by the larger engine wasn't enough to justify the incremental $10k-$13k in price. said another way, the practical side of me won out as my brain overcame my emotional desire for the 445 bhp 8 cylinder engine (dammit!).

lastly, i will probably add a tune to this engine & realize some of the upside of the 50i's bhp & the diesel's impressive torque, while maintaining the solid mpg of the i6. plus, i also own an m235i, which serves to quench my desire for speed when so motivated.

after reading the above, i probably overthought/over-analyzed this decision. lol

thanks for asking. cheers!
This is very much in line with why we got the 35i as well. We also take frequent longer distance trips so that rules out the diesel even if range anxiety isn't as bad as, say, for electric cars (we were previously looking at the diesel). The 50i just isn't worth the money for us. It's definitely a lot of fun to drive, but I don't like making frequent trips to the gas station. Sport mode in the 35i is enough.
Appreciate 0