BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

12-26-2017, 02:18 PM   #1
CeeTeeX5
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 X5 xDrive35i M-Sport

Phone mount

Hi All,

I have seen some interesting phone mounting solutions and wanted to share mine. I had this setup in my Jeep Grand Cherokee that I traded for my X5. I nearly forgot to have the dealer remove this and I'm so glad I remembered.

For me, it puts my phone in the optimal position for quick access and does not block any of the center console/dashboard/vents etc...I can also easily connect it to the lightning cable coming from the armrest storage.

Here is what you need: https://www.amazon.com/Arkon-Truck-H...dp/B004M8ST3Q/

The install is really easy and only requires removing the seat rail cover, loosening one torx bolt, sliding the mount under the rail and tightening the torx bolt. If you bend the gooseneck right it won't touch any part of the seat or center console. You won't be able to re-install the rail cover but I don't think most people will notice or care that it's not there. In the second picture the seat is all the way back. When moved back to normal driving position, the rail is completely hidden. Here is a couple of pictures installed.

Appreciate 2
      12-26-2017, 03:17 PM   #2
CatalinP
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 F15 2014 3.0xd

How is that an optimal position?
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2017, 04:23 PM   #3
sbinshihon
Captain
Rep
Drives: X5 M Sport

I think the magnet on the A/C vent is the best solution out there!
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2017, 04:36 PM   #4
Florida-X3
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 x30i / '12 Infiniti M37

www.proclipusa.com , when I have had the need for a mount I always go with them. It's a two part system, you get a mount for your specific car then the clip for your specific device. They have always been easy to install and rock solid.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2017, 06:38 PM   #5
CeeTeeX5
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatalinP View Post
Blocks nothing. Is easy to access. Does not take up cupholder. isn't hidden in the armrest. Allows easy connection with lightning cable from armrest. Anything else you are thinking could improve the position besides float?

Also, no need to stick magnets to your phone or use a special case.

Last edited by CeeTeeX5; 12-26-2017 at 07:33 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2017, 06:41 PM   #6
CeeTeeX5
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida-X5 View Post
www.proclipusa.com , when I have had the need for a mount I always go with them. It's a two part system, you get a mount for your specific car then the clip for your specific device. They have always been easy to install and rock solid.
Haven't seen that one yet. Blocks the vent and might block some of the screen? Also looks like you'll have a charging cable hanging down in front of the dash? Interested to see pics if you have this in your F15.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2017, 07:17 PM   #7
fosterelli
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 xDrive35i M-Sport

Quote:
How could it get much better? Immediately adjacent to the gear selector, out of the way, charging cord won't be an issue or unsightly, and you aren't repurposing any other features of your vehicle (air vents, cupholders, ashtrays, etc.).
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2017, 07:52 PM   #8
turboawd
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35i

if i'm going to mount a phone in a car, its going to be higher up so i dont have to look down as much. having to look down is a lot more dangerous in my opinion.
i just use a plastic clip and attach to the vent.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2017, 08:07 PM   #9
Florida-X3
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 x30i / '12 Infiniti M37

Quote:
Originally Posted by CeeTeeX5 View Post
Haven't seen that one yet. Blocks the vent and might block some of the screen? Also looks like you'll have a charging cable hanging down in front of the dash? Interested to see pics if you have this in your F15.
I don't use one in my X5, frankly I don't see the need to. I did have something like that a long time ago for my Dell Axiom (for NAV) and my guess is you can slide it to the side of the vent as it actually clips under the edges of the molding pieces. Perhaps if people were less obsessed with their cell phones in their cars there would be a lot less accidents. My phone is on DND mode and in the center console when in my car for anything other than calls via BT from people in my favorites. Nav is done via built in navigation. I say put the damn phone away and drive safer (ok all, you can flame now).

Also, the OP's position is way to low ...there is a reason none of the vehicles screens are down there and sorry the goose neck looks cheap and very "Pep Boys".
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2017, 10:54 PM   #10
CeeTeeX5
Major
Rep

Quote:
I don't use one in my X5, frankly I don't see the need to. I did have something like that a long time ago for my Dell Axiom (for NAV) and my guess is you can slide it to the side of the vent as it actually clips under the edges of the molding pieces. Perhaps if people were less obsessed with their cell phones in their cars there would be a lot less accidents. My phone is on DND mode and in the center console when in my car for anything other than calls via BT from people in my favorites. Nav is done via built in navigation. I say put the damn phone away and drive safer (ok all, you can flame now).

Also, the OP's position is way to low ...there is a reason none of the vehicles screens are down there and sorry the goose neck looks cheap and very "Pep Boys".
I'm not sure how the vehicle screen placement has anything to do with where the phone is mounted. As you say, the phone isn't something to be constantly looking at or checking. But if I am at a stop light, it's extremely close at hand to pick up and take a quick look and put back in it's place without it being up high and a distraction when a message/e-mail/notification lights up the phone. You contradict yourself in your own post.

How does the goose neck look cheap? With the seat in normal driving position, the goose neck is all but invisible. Hanging the phone on some clip over your vents doesn't look cheap? That's a good one!

To each their own. Post was just meant to give people an option that I haven't seen posted already. You don't have to like it.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2017, 06:34 AM   #11
fosterelli
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by turboawd View Post
if i'm going to mount a phone in a car, its going to be higher up so i dont have to look down as much. having to look down is a lot more dangerous in my opinion.
i just use a plastic clip and attach to the vent.
Looking at your phone at all while driving is dangerous. People who use their phone while driving are irresponsible, injuring and killing innocent people every day. (not referring to you, but in principle)

Quote:

The vehicle screens are up high because they're designed to be glanced at while the vehicle is in operation (navigation, safety warnings, speedometer, etc.).

Phones should not be in view while driving - Twitter can wait, so can work emails and texts from our loved ones. They'd prefer we delay our responses and make it to our destinations safely.

For safe drivers, this mount looks like a pretty good option. And I agree the post is a bit ugly, but virtually invisible so it is of no consequence. The OP took pictures from the angles needed to show us the product, not from driver and passenger views where the post is basically hidden.

However, this mount is not for me, I put my phone in the center console storage while driving - bluetooth/hands free is the only way I do anything while driving. I have a wife and five kids to get home to at the end of the day.
      12-28-2017, 02:07 AM   #12
turboawd
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by fosterelli View Post
Looking at your phone at all while driving is dangerous. People who use their phone while driving are irresponsible, injuring and killing innocent people every day. (not referring to you, but in principle)

The vehicle screens are up high because they're designed to be glanced at while the vehicle is in operation (navigation, safety warnings, speedometer, etc.).

Phones should not be in view while driving - Twitter can wait, so can work emails and texts from our loved ones. They'd prefer we delay our responses and make it to our destinations safely.

For safe drivers, this mount looks like a pretty good option. And I agree the post is a bit ugly, but virtually invisible so it is of no consequence. The OP took pictures from the angles needed to show us the product, not from driver and passenger views where the post is basically hidden.

However, this mount is not for me, I put my phone in the center console storage while driving - bluetooth/hands free is the only way I do anything while driving. I have a wife and five kids to get home to at the end of the day.
i agree. i use my phone for navigation and playing music in the car, so if i'm going to see and use it while driving, i'm going to at least put it up high. if you are to have the phone accessable, mounting it low is the worst place to place the phone, because then your eyes are pointing down.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2017, 06:02 PM   #13
fosterelli
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by turboawd View Post
i agree. i use my phone for navigation and playing music in the car, so if i'm going to see and use it while driving, i'm going to at least put it up high. if you are to have the phone accessable, mounting it low is the worst place to place the phone, because then your eyes are pointing down.
Yeah, if you're using your phone while driving, definitely don't mount low...but my point for this kit was that it's good for people who aren't driving irresponsibly. A place to mount the phone and charge it, without taking up cupholder or ashtray. NOT for looking at the phone and playing with it.

I hate driving down the road and seeing everyone with their eyes on their phones...it's getting ridiculous. My kids are out on these roads and I see 100 near-misses a day from people not seeing in front of them, drifting into other lanes, etc. because Facebook is more important to them or they want to find a new song to listen to.

Mount or no mount, if people would just focus on their driving it would be so much nicer. Set your playlist before you leave, enter your destination before you leave, use turn-by-turn, no need to see your phone...enjoy the drive and arrive safely...that's what I tell my kids and that's what adults should be doing, always.
      12-28-2017, 06:05 PM   #14
CatalinP
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 F15 2014 3.0xd

What you describe is already designed by BMW - the phone dock / cradle in the central armrest.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2017, 07:14 PM   #15
fosterelli
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
What you describe is already designed by BMW - the phone dock / cradle in the central armrest.
No, that takes up too much space and must be immediately removed! Plus, who wants to pay for new adapters every time they change phones? Very old school of BMW.

However, I do keep my phone in the center console...just not with the dinosaur dock. But I don't keep a bunch of stuff in my console, we have too many vehicles to worry about what is where. For those who have a lot of items in their console, and don't use their phone while driving, the OP's mount should suit some of them.
      01-06-2018, 10:31 PM   #16
Maverik259
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 / F15 50i

Garage List
2020 BMW M5  [10.00]
2014 X5 50i  [0.00]
I used proclipusa in my AMG. Loved it but it did block a vent. The one for the X5 can go anywhere along the trim so I would personally place over the emergency flasher button as to not block vents. Personally i just use a CD player mount because it doesn't block anything that I actually use. Phone is a bit lower than I prefer for my texting and driving but hey beggars can't be choosers! Am I right! haha
Attached Images

'14 X5 50i (wife’s now)
Appreciate 0