BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

01-02-2018, 09:45 AM   #1
stickersteve
Private
Rep
Drives: 2023 brooklyn grey X3

question about my A/C

I know this has been an ongoing issue with other people and I dont feel like reading back on the old A/C thread so I am going to start my own again. I have a 2017 X5. I have two issues with my climate system that if BMW or someone else cannot give me a good answer I will not get another BMW again.

1. The system always starts itself whenever the car starts. I live in arizona so most of the year it is not an issue but we also get very cold here. I hate that when it is 30 degrees and I start the car I am greeted by a blast of cold air. No matter how many times I shut the system off before I shut off the car, it also starts when I start the car. The dealership told me that is just how it is, but I had an X3 while my car was in for service and when I shut it off, it stayed off until I wanted to start it again myself.

2. I saw that people were complaining that the A/C was not cold enough during the summer months. I initially had that problem until I realized the the rear climate system box was checked so part of my cold air was blowing in the back when no one is ever in the back. It turns out that I realized that whenever you use the Sync button for the climate control, it automatically turns on the rear. Even if you shut the sync off, the rear stays on so you manually have to turn it off. I like to use the sync. I cant believe that this also is not user fixable. The dealer told me that is how it is supposed to work.

Does anyone have a fix for either of these issues. If I have to just live with these things I will, but on a $70,000 car I should be able to change how I want it to work, and may mean my next car will not be a BMW

Steve
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2018, 11:15 AM   #2
deutsch100
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: i5 M60, XM, M3 Comp, 911 GTS

Steve....your next car might just not be a BMW! Sorry! The issue with the A/C turning on every times goes back to our 2004 X5 4.8is. Our previous X5s did not do this, but starting in 2004, this began. BMW has told me many times, for over a decade now....This is just how it is. Something to do with starting the car and filling the cabin with some "fresh" air, or something about the HVAC lines. All bs, but it is how BMW has designed the X5!

The issue with the Sync button.......it might be your last BMW if this is a deal breaker. Annoying, but it is their design!

I am on X5 #7, and if the new model does not have proper A/C....I will never touch an X5 again. Even with rear climate deactivated, my car parked in scorching 100+ heat, the A/C will not blow hard and strong unless I use Max AC. The auto setting on the X5 does not work like EVERY other car with Auto climate, even cars costing $40k less. Hate the AC in the F15!!!
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2018, 11:21 AM   #3
stickersteve
Private
Rep
Drives: 2023 brooklyn grey X3

thanks

Thanks for that reply. I cant believe on a $70,000 car that I cannot have some of the control I want and these two issues are standard with no user options. I guess you are right. This may be my last BMW. It makes no sense that these two things cant be fixed. I mean they give us the option now to disable the auto start with a simple press of a button. That new range rover velar is looking better to me now. I just have to wait two more years for my lease to end
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2018, 11:59 AM   #4
00_Bora
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 M-Sport

I believe I coded my HVAC to remember my last setting in my '14 X5 because it stays on/off depending on what was set when i turned the car off the previous time.

As for AC not being cold enough... I had the same problem in my 15 Escalade but actually have a better AC experience now in my BMW. Sorry I cant be more of help on that matter, but it seems newer cars that are being used in the US now a days seem to have crappier AC.

VA heat is no joke either...you desert folks know nothing about humidity
Appreciate 2
Chadmatic660.50
deutsch1003741.00
      01-02-2018, 12:22 PM   #5
artem123
Captain
Rep
Drives: G30

Remembering Heat/ HVAC last position can be coded. Me personally like it the way it comes, especially it does not really bast air, it starts with loves possible setting. Also, i programmed activate/ deactivate rear zone by pressing one of the number buttons ( 4 in my case). What i dislike, is the fact that from the front, driver does not have a full control of rear zone, besides tuning it on/off there is not much we can do. My son, at times plays with it, and changes settings. Also i prefer to be able to turn ON/OFF rear seat heater, or at least be notified when it is ON. Otherwise there is no way of knowing.
      01-02-2018, 03:56 PM   #6
mikeson
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 X6 M package

1. You can code it.
I did mine and it won't turn on unless I turn on which is good.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2018, 08:25 PM   #7
Apple Corps
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 X5 M

So stickersteve, why exactly did you buy a BMW X5?

All of these purchasing decisions involve a series of tradeoffs. If you don't like the "blast" of air (even though I have never experienced that) a simple push on the driver's side fan button turns the system fully off w/i two seconds. Simple enough to solve that highly first world problem.

So what is the point of my question? For that simple act you enjoy the world class road feel / feedback, superb dynamic handling, great visibility, driver oriented ergonomics, arguably the best 6 cylinder engine in the world, or whatever things made you select a BMW X5 in the first place. If the AC controls are that big a deal and negatively offset the other attributes, than maybe BMWs are not your thing - and that is fair enough - different strokes for different folks.
Appreciate 2
Chadmatic660.50
deutsch1003741.00
      01-03-2018, 08:27 AM   #8
deutsch100
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: i5 M60, XM, M3 Comp, 911 GTS

Full Size Range Rover! On my 2014 Supercharged RR, you can see, set and change all rear seat and climate settings from the front Infotainment screen. This was very helpful when my son was younger! I am really surprised BMW does not do this as well. Strange!

Quote:
Originally Posted by artem123 View Post
Remembering Heat/ HVAC last position can be coded. Me personally like it the way it comes, especially it does not really bast air, it starts with loves possible setting. Also, i programmed activate/ deactivate rear zone by pressing one of the number buttons ( 4 in my case). What i dislike, is the fact that from the front, driver does not have a full control of rear zone, besides tuning it on/off there is not much we can do. My son, at times plays with it, and changes settings. Also i prefer to be able to turn ON/OFF rear seat heater, or at least be notified when it is ON. Otherwise there is no way of knowing.
Appreciate 1
Chadmatic660.50
      01-03-2018, 07:37 PM   #9
diesel733
Master of one
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M3 ZCP IMOLA RED

Quote:
Originally Posted by stickersteve View Post
I know this has been an ongoing issue with other people and I dont feel like reading back on the old A/C thread so I am going to start my own again. I have a 2017 X5. I have two issues with my climate system that if BMW or someone else cannot give me a good answer I will not get another BMW again.

1. The system always starts itself whenever the car starts. I live in arizona so most of the year it is not an issue but we also get very cold here. I hate that when it is 30 degrees and I start the car I am greeted by a blast of cold air. No matter how many times I shut the system off before I shut off the car, it also starts when I start the car. The dealership told me that is just how it is, but I had an X3 while my car was in for service and when I shut it off, it stayed off until I wanted to start it again myself.

2. I saw that people were complaining that the A/C was not cold enough during the summer months. I initially had that problem until I realized the the rear climate system box was checked so part of my cold air was blowing in the back when no one is ever in the back. It turns out that I realized that whenever you use the Sync button for the climate control, it automatically turns on the rear. Even if you shut the sync off, the rear stays on so you manually have to turn it off. I like to use the sync. I cant believe that this also is not user fixable. The dealer told me that is how it is supposed to work.

Does anyone have a fix for either of these issues. If I have to just live with these things I will, but on a $70,000 car I should be able to change how I want it to work, and may mean my next car will not be a BMW

Steve
Just code it. Case solved
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2018, 08:32 PM   #10
Kdawg1966
Private
Rep
Drives: '15 X5 Msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeson View Post
1. You can code it.
I did mine and it won't turn on unless I turn on which is good.
How do you do this? Thanks.
Appreciate 1
      01-04-2018, 07:34 AM   #11
mikeson
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 X6 M package

How to coding? use this thread for your reference.
http://f15.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1391908

I did mine and when you go 'Air conditioning' there is an option as 'Air conditioning on with auto' and sub - active and not active. Just select whatever not selective one and click code.

then unless your air is on when you turnoff your car, it will not automatically on when you start your car.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2018, 12:31 AM   #12
EINSER
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 Space Gray E92

Garage List
2018 BMW X5  [0.00]
At least the radio doesn't turn on every time you start the car....are you listening, Audi???
Appreciate 1
deutsch1003741.00