BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

01-02-2018, 08:01 PM   #23
fosterelli
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 xDrive35i M-Sport

I'm surprised so many people on here are new to this. I see third brake light flashers at least once/week on all kinds of makes/models in the Houston area.

When we lived in Vegas it was VERY common, seemed like every new car dealer installed them. They typically flashed the third brake light 3 times when stopping, then it went solid. I'm sure there are some varying frequencies/durations depending on module manufacturer, but for the majority it was only 3 flashes.

Anything to increase attention, especially with all of the distracted drivers out there! A flash catches your eye more than a solid lamp, and commands your attention faster - 100% of studies show that to be true.

For those who think it'd be annoying to follow, it's really not. You get used to it very fast in regions where it's popular. More annoying to get rear ended or stuck in traffic due to a rear end accident.
      01-02-2018, 09:28 PM   #24
turboawd
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaboM4 View Post
Nice $2 mod - ebay item # 182917950920
dang,he's literally selling the same module for over 10 times the price. lol

Appreciate 0
      01-03-2018, 10:17 AM   #25
monkiboy
Major
Dominican Republic
Rep
Drives: '17 x5 3.5i w/MPPK & MPE

Quote:
Originally Posted by turboawd View Post
he is also taking the time to post up application-specific instructions and answer queries on its use in a professional manner. he is also providing additional installation parts, albeit very cheap to acquire, for a more complete package. he is also repackaging into one solution shipped from the USA. he is also going to provide a much higher level of customer support, i suspect, than a shenzen china representative. he is also going to get you the solution in a much faster interval than e-packet from china/ebay. if you don't see the value, then i guess it's not for you but one should take into account what many will see as substantial value adds.
      01-03-2018, 10:39 AM   #26
Doanster
Major
Rep
Drives: 2014 F15 Carbon Black M-Sport

I didn't realize OP was selling the module/kit. Unless he's charging $50 or something, $20 is nothing for the reasons monkiboy states. You can always get the cheapest price on eBay if you're a total DIYer and want to possibly receive multiple faulty parts.
      01-06-2018, 10:24 AM   #27
bbl_jeff
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X5

Quote:
sorry to offend you. i didnt realize this was your company and product.
It's part of the business. It's not for everyone, I understand some people will hate it or love it. No hard feelings. Thanks bud
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2018, 10:24 AM   #28
bbl_jeff
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:

It looks the same, that's all I have to say.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2018, 10:29 AM   #29
bbl_jeff
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkiboy View Post
he is also taking the time to post up application-specific instructions and answer queries on its use in a professional manner. he is also providing additional installation parts, albeit very cheap to acquire, for a more complete package. he is also repackaging into one solution shipped from the USA. he is also going to provide a much higher level of customer support, i suspect, than a shenzen china representative. he is also going to get you the solution in a much faster interval than e-packet from china/ebay. if you don't see the value, then i guess it's not for you but one should take into account what many will see as substantial value adds.
Thanks buddy for the kind words, a lot of people jump the gun and start assuming things without asking questions.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2018, 11:08 AM   #30
DuSh
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F15 X5 50i

Let me sum it up: bbl_jeff product is good for what it is (money is no issue), but reality is that we need 3 stage product that depends on the force you put into braking and speed like it was shown in this thread - normal/3rd light only/all lights blink

Anything else is immature and annoying in stop n go traffic - this is my opinion and I am not biased by product I have to sell. Especially so in a BMW SAV - 3rd light blinking EVERY TIME you apply brakes is ridiculous and rice

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=gSiLDY-abRU
Appreciate 1
retx117.00
      01-06-2018, 04:27 PM   #31
fosterelli
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 xDrive35i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuSh View Post
Let me sum it up: bbl_jeff product is good for what it is (money is no issue), but reality is that we need 3 stage product that depends on the force you put into braking and speed like it was shown in this thread - normal/3rd light only/all lights blink

Anything else is immature and annoying in stop n go traffic - this is my opinion and I am not biased by product I have to sell. Especially so in a BMW SAV - 3rd light blinking EVERY TIME you apply brakes is ridiculous and rice

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=gSiLDY-abRU
The BMW staged braking is for emergency stopping. The blinking third brake lamp is for any type of stopping. How many people stop normally at a traffic light or stopped freeway, only to get slammed into by someone behind them not paying attention? Countless thousands per year.

In your scenario, the only danger is when you slam on your brakes. But what happens when you don't slam on your brakes?

I'm not selling anything, nor do I have flashing third lamps in any of my vehicles. But if you've lived somewhere with them, you'd know it's not "immature and annoying" nor "ridiculous and rice".

I'd say if this bothers you so much, you may be easily annoyed and could benefit from coping mechanisms.
      01-06-2018, 04:44 PM   #32
DuSh
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F15 X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by fosterelli View Post
The BMW staged braking is for emergency stopping. The blinking third brake lamp is for any type of stopping. How many people stop normally at a traffic light or stopped freeway, only to get slammed into by someone behind them not paying attention? Countless thousands per year.

In your scenario, the only danger is when you slam on your brakes. But what happens when you don't slam on your brakes?

I'm not selling anything, nor do I have flashing third lamps in any of my vehicles. But if you've lived somewhere with them, you'd know it's not "immature and annoying" nor "ridiculous and rice".

I'd say if this bothers you so much, you may be easily annoyed and could benefit from coping mechanisms.
It's implemented poorly - the choice of frequency and duration is really annoying judging by the video. It's immature, especially on an expensive vehicle like x5. Needs to be redone imho. And it looks rice imho

Last edited by DuSh; 01-06-2018 at 05:06 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2018, 06:44 PM   #33
bbl_jeff
Private
United_States
Rep

I am not here to sway everyone to purchasing my product. I mentioned above that it's not everyone's cup of tea. I myself believe that those 3 stage videos might be a bit too late in some or most situations. The fact that it stops to blink after hard braking assuming there is an emergency is something to think about. I have my personal reason why I have them on all my vehicles and Rice or Dumb. I'd rather take the funny comments then taking another accident. Just my 2 cents.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2018, 03:33 PM   #34
Yaw
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Many

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbl_jeff View Post
I am not here to sway everyone to purchasing my product. I mentioned above that it's not everyone's cup of tea. I myself believe that those 3 stage videos might be a bit too late in some or most situations. The fact that it stops to blink after hard braking assuming there is an emergency is something to think about. I have my personal reason why I have them on all my vehicles and Rice or Dumb. I'd rather take the funny comments then taking another accident. Just my 2 cents.

You're getting a bit close to the type of people cruising down the road with their high beams on with justifying it helps them see better, they would crash otherwise and everyone else just need to deal with it. The blinking light at every application of the brake is distracting and annoying, especially at night. Your car has a feature baked in from the factory for warning drivers behind you.

Appreciate 1
DuSh2113.50
      01-08-2018, 04:11 PM   #35
retx
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 F15 40e

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbl_jeff View Post
For those that are interested, here is how you install Blinking Brake Light Module on your BMW X5's 3rd (center) light without cutting any wires. Not cutting any wires means, if you ever want to go back to stock and stop the blinking effect you can do so by plugging the plug back together... ...
Interesting topic. This flash-like brake light seems to get more and more popular everywhere. Sometimes I saw some cars' are very annoying because they're blinking too many times in stop and go situations (Traffic in NYC is just like this every day and night); some of them are programed to flash continuously, non-stop; some of them seem to change the brake light to something even more brighter. But I do see some are nicely programmed and it's not that intrusive.

I'm sure this will help further warn the cars/drivers behind you. But, if I'm behind this car for a long time, I'll feel very infuriating and try to stay away from it.

However, I do hope to see our BMW can flash repeatedly for 3-5 times when the brake is pushed down urgently or in the hard brake situation. I know the US-model's additional brake light will be on in this situation, but if it can flash a few times, it may be even better. (I don't want it flashing in my every brake; I just want it flash a few times when it's the hard brake.)
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2018, 01:38 AM   #36
anki
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 Azurite F15

I liked the blinking setup but would prefer it only when I force apply the brakes as I drive with active cruise control with stop and go, and the acc usually brakes and accelerates the car to maintain the distance and speed.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2018, 09:31 PM   #37
bbl_jeff
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaw View Post
You're getting a bit close to the type of people cruising down the road with their high beams on with justifying it helps them see better, they would crash otherwise and everyone else just need to deal with it. The blinking light at every application of the brake is distracting and annoying, especially at night. Your car has a feature baked in from the factory for warning drivers behind you.

Just fyi, a similar product is being offered on other vehicles ie: Acura, Kia, and some Chevy vehicles.
Appreciate 0