BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

07-29-2017, 01:33 AM   #1
DuSh
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F15 X5 50i

BPC bench flashed/tuned my f15 x5 50i today!

Just came back, tired, but happy - I went from New York to Raleigh, NC yesterday, stayed at a hotel overnight and was at 8am first thing in the morning at BPC location and ..... finally got a BEAST of a x5 today

Yes, it is a bench flash tune, NOT a piggy back. This is real. This is happening. +127 WHP / +117 WTQ Gain over factory according to their page: https://bimmerperformancecenter.com/...tune-2013-2016

IMHO these guys are #1! They know what they are doing and they love what they do!

On my way back I was trying hard to not get speeding ticket. This thing pulls hard like a freight train. No matter from what speed - it's just scary fast. Feel bad for Mustang GT driver and Porsche Cayenne Turbo Literally almost cried after that. Cayenne Turbo was my dream car and here I am walking away from it on "Mexican" highway. You should have seen driver jumping in his seat and leaning forward to squeeze every last bit from his Turbo, but I was still passing him....... He was upset, tried twice, on the second try he jump started, but I still walked him over. Also was trying to play a little with a Vette, but abandoned the idea due to traffic
This thing is so stupid fast that it should be banned. Suspension is not even close to be able to handle this much power (but that is another story and I'm planning to do something about it)

I forgot to mention I had a good 300lbs stuff in my trunk too. Imagine a 5000lbs SAV accelerating like a bat out of cave. Torque that this twin turbo V8 generates is just way too much

Within a couple weeks I'll try to do a dyno run (need AWD dyno) and I'll post results - theoretically I'm at around 475 WHP / 514 QTQ - which is a LOT if you convert it to crank hp/tq taking into account AWD and Automatic transmission losses - it's basically X5M territory (and somehow I have a feeling inside that it CAN walk stock X5M)

Everyone at BPC was very friendly, knowledgeable and ready to answer all questions. Bob (programmer/tuner) made my experience like a F1 formula driver - he asked my preferences and explained various options I can get with tune (exhaust valves/flaps open/close, cold start cat, speed and rev limiter delete and so on). I also got Sport+ mode coded (my x5 is not M Sport and came without it) and Sport+ mode comes with launch control! and also got bunch of other stuff coded for convenience

Spent most of time in their customer lounge with Amazon movies, but of course I was so excited and impatient that I spent most of time near Bobs working area bothering him with questions. This was a spontaneous decision to take a trip, but it wasn't necessary, I could have sent DME by mail, but I wanted this fast and right now, so I called and they were able to accommodate me the very next day, overall I'm very pleased and can recommend them to anyone. BPC work with everything from E30 to F15/F16, diesel or gasoline - they do it all

Almost forgot to tell that rumors are Bob finished working on Stage 2 of the tune (that will yield even more gains and require downpipes etc)

My next goals are to do some 0-60 runs, AWD dyno and then rims/tires

Apologize for lots of text, but hopefully this will help make up mind for those on the fence

Last edited by DuSh; 07-29-2017 at 01:53 AM..
Appreciate 4
FSociety3810.00
BimmerTy191.50
      07-29-2017, 11:16 AM   #2
crackerjack15
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 50e

Sweet!! I've been debating this. I also have a 2017 mustang gt that I procharged. It's currently low 600's at the wheels. It would be awesome if the x5 had even more power. Lol. I do think it's already plenty fast for an suv. Did they mention anything about being able to return to stock? Detectable, etc? I would assume it is detectable if you had to take it in for service. Why are there no remote tuners for bmw's? I do remote tuning with my mustang. Data log all sensors and send logs to tuner, they send back updated tune and I flash it to the cars computer. We can change tons of stuff. Only takes me 3 minutes.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2017, 12:01 PM   #3
DuSh
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by crackerjack15 View Post
Sweet!! I've been debating this. I also have a 2017 mustang gt that I procharged. It's currently low 600's at the wheels. It would be awesome if the x5 had even more power. Lol. I do think it's already plenty fast for an suv. Did they mention anything about being able to return to stock? Detectable, etc? I would assume it is detectable if you had to take it in for service. Why are there no remote tuners for bmw's? I do remote tuning with my mustang. Data log all sensors and send logs to tuner, they send back updated tune and I flash it to the cars computer. We can change tons of stuff. Only takes me 3 minutes.
Yes, there's an option to return to stock (and back to tune again), but they will need your DME to be shipped to them (I was surprised there's actually 2 DMEs - one for each side of V8). It's detectable if BMW will look for it on purpose, but as Bob explained to me - they don't check it unless there's rev.limiter removed or top speed limiter removed - then it's a red flag for them and they will check flash in that case (so I kept my rev/limiters an top speed intact since my x5 is CPO for 3 more years. After that I'll go with stage 2 haha

BTW he also unlocked it for bootmod3 - I'm not looking into that yet, as the car is already dangerously fast, but options are there

I'm not sure about remote coding, but I know they can do it for e90 as I inquired before with them (they send you a flashing device and you can flash different tunes yourself), but I'm not sure about f15 procedure (we'll need to ask BPC to clarify)

P.S. For the first time I feel like car is so fast that I can now calm down and finally focus on everything else like suspension, cosmetics etc - it's that feeling when you don't even bother with most of fast cars on the road as you know you will walk them easily (in a sense saves me from trouble with police haha)
Appreciate 1
      07-29-2017, 11:31 PM   #4
crackerjack15
Captain
Rep

Awesome. Thanks for the info. I wasn't aware of bootmod3. I don't have any mods on the x5, besides general coding. But, this is very interesting. Basically what I've been doing with my mustang all along and now it looks like you can easily program the bmw too. Hmmm. So if you do purchase the bootmod system, the question becomes finding a tuner who has the experience when it comes to street or dyno tuning for changes you make. I assume that bpc, worked with a certain vehicle optimising their "bench" tune. Did they use an x5 or is the programming the same as any n63tu in other bmw vehicles?
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2017, 09:08 AM   #5
DuSh
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Awesome. Thanks for the info. I wasn't aware of bootmod3. I don't have any mods on the x5, besides general coding. But, this is very interesting. Basically what I've been doing with my mustang all along and now it looks like you can easily program the bmw too. Hmmm. So if you do purchase the bootmod system, the question becomes finding a tuner who has the experience when it comes to street or dyno tuning for changes you make. I assume that bpc, worked with a certain vehicle optimising their "bench" tune. Did they use an x5 or is the programming the same as any n63tu in other bmw vehicles?
From what I know they had several x5 to work on and test their tune before mine. Even on mine they don't just flashed it, they test drove it at least 3 times - I was there almost 4-5 hours. Bob wanted to make sure everything was top notch. In addition they had a lot more other vehicles that have same engine n63TU tuned

What I like is that on x5 (could be true for other newer BMW cars too) you can basically have at least 2 completely different BEASTS in one! What I mean is that Bob asked me about my preferences and I chose to have a tamed beast in ECO Pro and Normal modes - transmission torque limiters are intact and some other things, but in Sport and Sport+ mode I chose to have torque limiters adjusted to the max performance - and you can feel the difference - it basically has NO lags during start from the dig or when gear changing. I was a 3 series owner before and BPC is a big name in e90 community (probably the best currently), they don't just change timing or trick ECU/DME providing false values like piggy back tunes - they adjust a lot of parameters including automatic transmission ones, boost, fuel & timing maps, Valvetronic Maps and so on. Nothing beats a good benchflash tune - this is so cool for me, I still can't get used to this insane power

I will try to ask Bob from BPC to comment on this thread as I know 0.1% of what he knows about it

P.S. The only thing I suspect is that power harnessed from e63TU engine feels a lot more than it should. I know it's not scientific, but what my x5 was capable to do on highway like accelerate insanely from 80mph to 120mph is just amazing. I'm going to try 91 with octane booster and will give report back. The reason is that a lot of states have only 91 gas (including me at times) and it would be good to know how good car behaves on lesser octane fuel too

Last edited by DuSh; 07-30-2017 at 09:25 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2017, 12:24 AM   #6
crackerjack15
Captain
Rep

Thanks for the info, I will give them a call. If your on lower octane fuel, the knock sensors should detect knock as the computer tries to advance timing. From what I know about the mustang, its knock sensors not only detect knock, but they also detect the amplitude or loudness of the knock. I would assume the bmw does too. So, if it "sees" knock the computer will retard timing so that the peak of the explosion is happening when the piston is just starting it's downstroke. The computer is constantly trying to add in as much timing as it's set for.

Don't waste your time with those under $10 dollar octane boosters. They only add a few points of octane which is nothing. You want octanium or torco. $20 treats 10 gallons, but I usually add it to entire tank, because it will raise 10 gallons of fuel 8 octane numbers! So 91 becomes 99. Stuff works too!

https://vpracingfuels.com/product/octanium/
Appreciate 1
DuSh2112.50
      07-31-2017, 01:45 AM   #7
DuSh
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for the info, I will give them a call. If your on lower octane fuel, the knock sensors should detect knock as the computer tries to advance timing. From what I know about the mustang, its knock sensors not only detect knock, but they also detect the amplitude or loudness of the knock. I would assume the bmw does too. So, if it "sees" knock the computer will retard timing so that the peak of the explosion is happening when the piston is just starting it's downstroke. The computer is constantly trying to add in as much timing as it's set for.

Don't waste your time with those under $10 dollar octane boosters. They only add a few points of octane which is nothing. You want octanium or torco. $20 treats 10 gallons, but I usually add it to entire tank, because it will raise 10 gallons of fuel 8 octane numbers! So 91 becomes 99. Stuff works too!

https://vpracingfuels.com/product/octanium/
Thanks for letting me know about octanium and torco - I'll have to try it
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2017, 04:37 PM   #8
MMMCOOKIES55
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 M3 ZCP/ '16 ATS-V

Thanks Dubai! Glad I got the opportunity to work with you. Very Happy to hear you are enjoying the car. If you ever need anything further you know who to call!

As far as everyone else is concerned, if anyone has any questions regarding Tuning or pricing for it, Call me @ 919-582-9451. That's my direct number here. My name is Tom and ill answer all your questions or concerns.
Appreciate 2
DuSh2112.50
      07-31-2017, 06:51 PM   #9
DuSh
Colonel
Rep

Thanks Tom!

Also a small update!
I just returned from AWD dyno (loading one, not inertia one - as I've heard load dyno gives more accurate numbers that are usually less than inertia dyno)

Now please keep in mind this was done in a hot garagebox with 104F temperature inside, with 91 fuel!
Around 445awhp and 521 awtq!!! On 91 octane guys..... which is amazing because tune was optimized for 93
Moreover I can feel the car has less hp/tq than it had when I was on 93 on highway or when I used 91 + octane booster - so I'm sure numbers could be higher on 93 without a doubt

Torque wise on 93 gas I'm at X5M level (but not quiet there at hp tho). I would imagine in the future if I go with downpipes and Stage 2 bench tune - I can safely put X5M badge lol (just kidding, not going to do it)

I think IMHO this tune gives largest gains for non-M Bimmers (thanks to BPC and of course to BMW that left a lot of room with E63TU engine)

To say that I'm impressed is to say nothing...

P.S. since I asked Bob at BPC to keep rev. limiter and max speed intact - hence you see cut off at the 6900rpm or so (otherwise it can be 7200rpm)
Attached Images

Last edited by DuSh; 07-31-2017 at 07:14 PM..
Appreciate 2
Bob@BPC863.50
      08-01-2017, 10:27 AM   #10
rhite95
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 xDrive50i M Sport

Very nice numbers !!

There is more or less 18 to 20 % driveline loss 530 hp and 625 tq not too
shabby ...

Would like to see some 1/4 mile times !!
DuSh2112.50
FSociety3810.00
      08-01-2017, 10:44 AM   #11
DuSh
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhite95 View Post
Very nice numbers !!

There is more or less 18 to 20 % driveline loss 530 hp and 625 tq not too
shabby ...

Would like to see some 1/4 mile times !!
Agree! Especially considering it was on 91 octane fuel and tune is optimized for 93!

I am in the build process, modding slowly, so I'm not sure when, but I will post 1/4 times eventually, it's in my plans in the future, especially if I go with Stage 2 tune with downpipes

I tried to time my 0-60 and so far best time I got was 4sec, but first 0-20mph portion was slower due to me screwing up start. I still need to figure out how to launch it properly. I would love to see 3.9 sec Hell that's a current generation M3 time I do believe we owe such performance due to immense AWD torque that e63tu generates early on
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2017, 11:42 AM   #12
rhite95
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 xDrive50i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuSh View Post
Agree! Especially considering it was on 91 octane fuel and tune is optimized for 93!

I am in the build process, modding slowly, so I'm not sure when, but I will post 1/4 times eventually, it's in my plans in the future, especially if I go with Stage 2 tune with downpipes

I tried to time my 0-60 and so far best time I got was 4sec, but first 0-20mph portion was slower due to me screwing up start. I still need to figure out how to launch it properly. I would love to see 3.9 sec Hell that's a current generation M3 time I do believe we owe such performance due to immense AWD torque that e63tu generates early on
Going to run mine when it cools off. It's not going to has fast as my Roush, but still super fun to drive...

Going to tune mine just not sure when.
DuSh2112.50
      08-03-2017, 11:50 AM   #13
Bob@BPC
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 328i Sport Line

Quote:
Thanks Tom!

Also a small update!
I just returned from AWD dyno (loading one, not inertia one - as I've heard load dyno gives more accurate numbers that are usually less than inertia dyno)

Now please keep in mind this was done in a hot garagebox with 104F temperature inside, with 91 fuel!
Around 445awhp and 521 awtq!!! On 91 octane guys..... which is amazing because tune was optimized for 93
Moreover I can feel the car has less hp/tq than it had when I was on 93 on highway or when I used 91 + octane booster - so I'm sure numbers could be higher on 93 without a doubt

Torque wise on 93 gas I'm at X5M level (but not quiet there at hp tho). I would imagine in the future if I go with downpipes and Stage 2 bench tune - I can safely put X5M badge lol (just kidding, not going to do it)

I think IMHO this tune gives largest gains for non-M Bimmers (thanks to BPC and of course to BMW that left a lot of room with E63TU engine)

To say that I'm impressed is to say nothing...

P.S. since I asked Bob at BPC to keep rev. limiter and max speed intact - hence you see cut off at the 6900rpm or so (otherwise it can be 7200rpm)
Happy to help, those tq numbers are nice
Appreciate 1
DuSh2112.50
      08-17-2017, 03:46 PM   #14
Rotzy
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F15, 2015 F83

Garage List
In my experience, each dyno seems to produce completely different numbers. Your numbers look great, but I would have liked to see a before and after dyno comparison. That's where you could truly see how much power the tune added. A similar result could be achieved by getting someone with a stock 50i to go to the same dyno and see what numbers he puts down and then compare them to yours.
FSociety3810.00
      08-17-2017, 07:58 PM   #15
DuSh
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotzy View Post
In my experience, each dyno seems to produce completely different numbers. Your numbers look great, but I would have liked to see a before and after dyno comparison. That's where you could truly see how much power the tune added. A similar result could be achieved by getting someone with a stock 50i to go to the same dyno and see what numbers he puts down and then compare them to yours.
You are right. Unfortunately as many before me, I didn't thought about it until it's already done. However, BPC has a before and after dyno in the link I posted above for same engine, but different bimmer. It's a flash, NOT a piggyback - main reason I went with it. Simply put I wanted ultimate power, torque and drivability with otherwise stock 50i

Funny thing is that many 50i owners still don't know flash exists that can transform their x5 into beasts. 99% of those who want more power out of their 50i - only heard about piggybacks. Those numbers you see are for 91 fuel - with 93 there should be 20-30 hp/tq increase

I may do another dyno run with 93 this time, but it won't be soon as it's $100 at my local dyno shop and I can use that money towards suspension/brakes upgrades
Appreciate 1
      10-13-2017, 09:18 PM   #16
DuSh
Colonel
Rep

It's been 2 months since my benchflash and I just can't get enough of that intoxicating power tuned 50i delivers!
Appreciate 1
BimmerTy191.50
      10-13-2017, 11:32 PM   #17
Iaro
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 xdrive50i M-Sport

Garage List
This is great. I also did not know there is a tune for 50i already.
Appreciate 1
DuSh2112.50
      10-16-2017, 12:03 PM   #18
AZTWW
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 Tesla Model S Long Range

Quote:
It's been 2 months since my benchflash and I just can't get enough of that intoxicating power tuned 50i delivers!
DusH. Are you in Arizona. I thought I saw something that you were. Interested in tune for my 50i and would love to check yours out if you are in the Phoenix area. PM me.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2017, 12:58 PM   #19
Bob@BPC
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 328i Sport Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iaro View Post
This is great. I also did not know there is a tune for 50i already.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZTWW View Post
DusH. Are you in Arizona. I thought I saw something that you were. Interested in tune for my 50i and would love to check yours out if you are in the Phoenix area. PM me.
If you have any questions about our tune, please give us a call @ 919 501 2090. We can also unlock your DME(s) and allow for remote tuning with BootMod3 as well.
Appreciate 2
DuSh2112.50
Iaro113.50
      11-07-2017, 06:46 PM   #20
DuSh
Colonel
Rep

0-60 and 0-100 for those who are interested
Filmed in Mexico on a closed circuit track

https://streamable.com/23nja

Mods:
BPC benchflash
Rear seat removal
Lighter rims
Appreciate 2
Bob@BPC863.50
kimsta4.50
      11-07-2017, 08:55 PM   #21
AZTWW
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 Tesla Model S Long Range

Need to meet up so I can see this beast. How many miles did you have on it when you did the flash? Any issue with worn plugs causing misfires?
Appreciate 1
DuSh2112.50
      11-07-2017, 10:09 PM   #22
DuSh
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZTWW View Post
Need to meet up so I can see this beast. How many miles did you have on it when you did the flash? Any issue with worn plugs causing misfires?
Hey AZTWW, it would be nice to meet someday. This program is taking a toll on me. I'm in a constant study mode, I basically don't have life except this forum and Skype with family lol. I can't wait for this program to be over (still 2.5 years to go)
It was 20k miles and now I have 26k miles (the odometer in the video shows in km). So it's been not many miles since flash, I just don't have time to drive often with our studyload and exams, but I do drive it very aggressively, I basically floor it almost every time there's a possibility. So I would say it held up well so far lol. I don't have any misfire errors (I'm checking it with Carly adapter OBDII) but I noticed couple of times pinging during WOT. I'm thinking it's 91 octane fuel that is sometimes causing it (flash is designed for 93 ideally). Very rarely tho and mostly after refill from one particular gas station - that's why I'm thinking it's a fuel related issue, but I'm not 100% sure. I'm not an expert in that, I used octane boosters from time to time and I had no issues with them. I need to log my runs to see how it's going, but I haven't got time to really tinker with that to be honest
Appreciate 0