BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

01-02-2018, 09:09 AM   #23
Terminator02
Rep
Drives: 17 mineral white X5M

So since I have an SRT JEEP 2016, I entered the times debate asking where the real world times are since mags/online seem to show 11.84-12.2 average times. Members continue to be very cocky that when break in occurs somehow it will drop .3 to .4 seconds...grrr. i dont think 80hp just shows up. Some are cool, told one about Houston event so he wants to get his trackhawk there.

It appears that they are trapping around 114mph at 11.9. Dont ours do around 12.2 at 116 stock? Anyone here know of better times than C/D times? Regardless, sounds like TH is all launch control power while ours are very torque based so while we go a bit slower off the libe, that torque and consistent powerband really make the car probably "feel faster" and actually more fun. Their exhaust is killer though.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2018, 09:17 AM   #24
Sotally Tober
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terminator02 View Post
So since I have an SRT JEEP 2016, I entered the times debate asking where the real world times are since mags/online seem to show 11.84-12.2 average times. Members continue to be very cocky that when break in occurs somehow it will drop .3 to .4 seconds...grrr. i dont think 80hp just shows up. Some are cool, told one about Houston event so he wants to get his trackhawk there.

It appears that they are trapping around 114mph at 11.9. Dont ours do around 12.2 at 116 stock? Anyone here know of better times than C/D times? Regardless, sounds like TH is all launch control power while ours are very torque based so while we go a bit slower off the libe, that torque and consistent powerband really make the car probably "feel faster" and actually more fun. Their exhaust is killer though.
My best time is 11.9 running DINAN Stage 2. Please tell me the info for the Houston event and I will be there!
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2018, 09:45 AM   #25
onfireX5
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F90M5,F85X5M

TH will leave harder. M will pull harder. If we could adjust the Launch rpm from 2800 to 3400, it would be a game changer.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2018, 10:10 AM   #26
Terminator02
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sotally Tober View Post
My best time is 11.9 running DINAN Stage 2. Please tell me the info for the Houston event and I will be there!
Heh I hope I was quoting you correct about the event in February at the raceway? Someone was trying to network with the facebook houston Hellcat charter? I hope I didnt relay the info wrong (i forgot particulars right nowbut quoted them exactly as I saw on here).
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2018, 10:13 AM   #27
Terminator02
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by onfireX5 View Post
TH will leave harder. M will pull harder. If we could adjust the Launch rpm from 2800 to 3400, it would be a game changer.
Think they would release a firmware update? If not, could a petition work from as many owners as possible? I mean we are getting a bum deal on longevity this gen which then makes ours "look older" and definitely depreciate faster! It would have been nice if they gave us some extra options not in their roadmap but this is my first bimmer so I dont know how they roll...
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2018, 01:19 PM   #28
Sotally Tober
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Heh I hope I was quoting you correct about the event in February at the raceway? Someone was trying to network with the facebook houston Hellcat charter? I hope I didnt relay the info wrong (i forgot particulars right nowbut quoted them exactly as I saw on here).
I did reach out to Helcat Stone (one the admins of the Texas Hell Cat Chapter) after I raced him at the San Antonio Raceway.

The two events are actually in San Antonio as opposed to Houston.

I’d be happy to coordinate with any of the racers via FB! I can be found under “Scott Biden” in San Antonio Texas.

Here is the info from the Texas M Club Facebook for the events:
Attached Images

Last edited by Sotally Tober; 01-02-2018 at 05:22 PM.. Reason: adding image
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2018, 06:25 PM   #29
Sotally Tober
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbash View Post
Just to be clear, launch mode will not operate if you have it in auto. You put it in manual with everything on full tilt like Onfire said, if you do it correctly and activate launch mode, it will shift for you, even though it is in manual mode. If not, you'll see what hitting the rev limit is like.
Thanks for the tip on this. Found a back road today and had the opportunity to test.

It is confirmed =) As long as the flag comes up with launch control engaged, the F85 will shift automatically even though the transmission indicates manual.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2018, 06:55 PM   #30
onfireX5
Brigadier General
Rep

That’s cool. What shift rpm ?
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2018, 01:19 PM   #31
Terminator02
Rep

Questions:

1. Can I find a setting on my X5M for performance 0-60 1/4 etc timing? Or like M performance app?

2. My 16 SRT overall outside of engine is basically the same dimensions and what not of the TH. Mine with great driving and conditions hits 12.9 1/4 with no underrated engine. Just 475hp. Our bimmers on an ideal day stock seem to hit 12.2 at 115mph. That is with around 640hp? Do we even have data because I hear 620hp to 650hp and while dynos vary as do conditions, I find it odd Dinan went to the HIGH end for hp stock when it would appear a 620hp mustang dyno would look better for them? So did they use something more official like whatever BMW would use to arrive at real hp? A likely guesstimate would help understand times better.

I guess that leads to my last curiousity. If our cars are 1/4 timed by average drivers on average days it appears to be a 12.3 to 12.4? The jeep is around 13.1 to 13.3.The Dinan package sober has is around 720hp with the hitch adding (not sure how much) weight. If it is hitting 11.9 best I may be starting to reconsider this TH. Looks like some average review drivers who messed up certain things ran 12.3ish down to a best of 11.84. The TH weighs more and has less hp. It also is very dig explosive but it doesnt have that beast torue powerband we have. So it appears they may have put all engineering into the launch at the sacrifice of real driving and fun torque feeling. Maybe that launch really is the money winner given just some basic Dinan specs along with what we know so far. Id love to see stock x5m go against a TH same day same time and see a relative performance gap.

Edit: where I also was going is if stock x5m hits 12.4 easy and has 640hp and with speculation TH with just proper knowledge to drive it will hit 11.8 all day, how much power will we need as it seems like 720 may not be
enough? It begs the question of how underrated are we? Maybe Dinan, being conservative is advised to not make huge claims to maintain the trusted warranty longevity etc pitch. So 647 was used when maybe normal dynos will be 620? Would that then really make the car show lower hp which explains the faster th times with suppossedly less hp at 707, more weight, worse rear times, worse aero etc? Plus with seeing how much more torque and powerband we have still trapping as high or higher than the TH stock...there are some disconnects for me...

Last edited by Terminator02; 01-14-2018 at 01:30 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2018, 04:51 PM   #32
Sotally Tober
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
That’s cool. What shift rpm ?
Just took her out for another test. It is at around 3,000 rpm. You have a good 3-4 seconds of launch control reving before you get a Transmission Overheat warning.
Appreciate 1
onfireX53617.50
      01-14-2018, 04:58 PM   #33
onfireX5
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sotally Tober View Post
Just took her out for another test. It is at around 3,000 rpm. You have a good 3-4 seconds of launch control reving before you get a Transmission Overheat warning.
Does it shift up top around 6800-7000 rpm ?
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2018, 04:59 PM   #34
Sotally Tober
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Questions:

1. Can I find a setting on my X5M for performance 0-60 1/4 etc timing? Or like M performance app?

2. My 16 SRT overall outside of engine is basically the same dimensions and what not of the TH. Mine with great driving and conditions hits 12.9 1/4 with no underrated engine. Just 475hp. Our bimmers on an ideal day stock seem to hit 12.2 at 115mph. That is with around 640hp? Do we even have data because I hear 620hp to 650hp and while dynos vary as do conditions, I find it odd Dinan went to the HIGH end for hp stock when it would appear a 620hp mustang dyno would look better for them? So did they use something more official like whatever BMW would use to arrive at real hp? A likely guesstimate would help understand times better.

I guess that leads to my last curiousity. If our cars are 1/4 timed by average drivers on average days it appears to be a 12.3 to 12.4? The jeep is around 13.1 to 13.3.The Dinan package sober has is around 720hp with the hitch adding (not sure how much) weight. If it is hitting 11.9 best I may be starting to reconsider this TH. Looks like some average review drivers who messed up certain things ran 12.3ish down to a best of 11.84. The TH weighs more and has less hp. It also is very dig explosive but it doesnt have that beast torue powerband we have. So it appears they may have put all engineering into the launch at the sacrifice of real driving and fun torque feeling. Maybe that launch really is the money winner given just some basic Dinan specs along with what we know so far. Id love to see stock x5m go against a TH same day same time and see a relative performance gap.

Edit: where I also was going is if stock x5m hits 12.4 easy and has 640hp and with speculation TH with just proper knowledge to drive it will hit 11.8 all day, how much power will we need as it seems like 720 may not be
enough? It begs the question of how underrated are we? Maybe Dinan, being conservative is advised to not make huge claims to maintain the trusted warranty longevity etc pitch. So 647 was used when maybe normal dynos will be 620? Would that then really make the car show lower hp which explains the faster th times with suppossedly less hp at 707, more weight, worse rear times, worse aero etc? Plus with seeing how much more torque and powerband we have still trapping as high or higher than the TH stock...there are some disconnects for me...
Excellents points you make!

I will be using Launch Control for the first time on 24 February at SA Raceway (2 February will be roll racing). Up until this point I had DSC On and was manually reving the engine at launch. Hopefully Launch Control with DSC Off will improve my 11.9 time.

After my recent tests, it definitely feels a lot faster at launch when using Launch Control.

I reached back out to the Texas Hell Cat Chapter in regards to racing a TH at the 2 February Roll Races or the 24 February Truck Shoot Out with no response.

Let me know if you have the info for someone in the San Antonio/Austin area with a TH and I will reach out directly.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2018, 05:01 PM   #35
Sotally Tober
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
You know what I didn't notice.

You just gave me an excuse to go test it again (for a third time) tomorrow =)

I will take a look and get back to you!
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2018, 09:52 PM   #36
BMWSRT
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

TH launches faster because of torque reserve with launch control. Videos and reports popping up at drag strip now with real owners 11.6 and 11.7 is confirmed for what it's worth
Appreciate 1
      01-15-2018, 01:18 AM   #37
Terminator02
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWSRT View Post
TH launches faster because of torque reserve with launch control. Videos and reports popping up at drag strip now with real owners 11.6 and 11.7 is confirmed for what it's worth
Just checked Jeep Garage. Crazy numbers. Milous did say it could hit 2.9 and most disagreed. At 3.1 it is possible.

However I also saw your comment over there and you made it seem a bunch of x5m people are damning the truck? Serioisly? I have had questions given reviews struggling under 11.9 and the odd lack of reviews that even test the vehicle. This forum is not erupting nor losing sleep. Questions theory etc is normal.

But yeah...I had a 2000 ACR from 09 to 15 when I got into a 15 Viper GT. 9 monrhs later traded to a HC Orange viper TA and added a 16 SRT Jeep. Decided to add a truck I wanted and aspired to own regardless of TH. So yeah I must be a real dodge hater. And the member wanting to race..seems like an enthusiast to see the TH.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2018, 01:47 PM   #38
Sotally Tober
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Just checked Jeep Garage. Crazy numbers. Milous did say it could hit 2.9 and most disagreed. At 3.1 it is possible.

However I also saw your comment over there and you made it seem a bunch of x5m people are damning the truck? Serioisly? I have had questions given reviews struggling under 11.9 and the odd lack of reviews that even test the vehicle. This forum is not erupting nor losing sleep. Questions theory etc is normal.

But yeah...I had a 2000 ACR from 09 to 15 when I got into a 15 Viper GT. 9 monrhs later traded to a HC Orange viper TA and added a 16 SRT Jeep. Decided to add a truck I wanted and aspired to own regardless of TH. So yeah I must be a real dodge hater. And the member wanting to race..seems like an enthusiast to see the TH.
You nailed it! I'm not hating on the TH. I just want to race one. I appreciate the Hell Cat engine... in fact I've raced a handful of them. Now that there is one in an SUV, I'd like to see how our F85 stacks up =)

I'm sure the next generation 2020 X5M will match the speed in a straight line or surpass it.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2018, 01:52 PM   #39
Sotally Tober
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
My third test isn't happening today. My better half snatched up the car for work on my day off.

I'll keep you posted.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2018, 02:13 PM   #40
Sotally Tober
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:

Alright, I just headed to jeep garage and caught up. Not sure if the member implies that we are talking trash but that is the farthest from the truth.

I'm going to create a user name and post directly to the thread, inviting them to the Roll Racing and Drag Racing off the line.

Hopefully a TH shows to both and we can squash this debate and get the videos posted to Youtube.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2018, 03:11 PM   #41
Sotally Tober
Private First Class
Rep

Here is the link to the invite I threw out on the Jeep Forum:
http://jeepgarage.org/f237/2018-trac...post2020937058
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2018, 03:52 PM   #42
onfireX5
Brigadier General
Rep

You guys are just having fun. That’s what it’s all about. Halo track runs with negative DA does not impress me from any platform. I’m not a big magazine guy, but they do use some rough standards. They are showing the M equal or slightly quicker. Doesn’t matter if it’s slightly slower to me. Look at the cornering G force comparisons.....TH is not even close. Until an unbiased same day, same track comparison, I’ll still believe the TH will out launch the M due to the SC advantage and the M will pull harder after the launch due to the TT advantage. Take both to Big Willow and the M will keep pulling away.
Appreciate 1
      01-15-2018, 04:57 PM   #43
Terminator02
Rep

Quote:
You guys are just having fun. That’s what it’s all about. Halo track runs with negative DA does not impress me from any platform. I’m not a big magazine guy, but they do use some rough standards. They are showing the M equal or slightly quicker. Doesn’t matter if it’s slightly slower to me. Look at the cornering G force comparisons.....TH is not even close. Until an unbiased same day, same track comparison, I’ll still believe the TH will out launch the M due to the SC advantage and the M will pull harder after the launch due to the TT advantage. Take both to Big Willow and the M will keep pulling away.
Exactly. What i love about this forum is the lack of baiting arguments to troll. I gave up on most forums recently. This community is better. I bought my X5M knowingly of the TH and the developing X5M successor on the new platform that will of course be better. Love this purchase which is what counts. Launch is great on TH but imagine the actual driving experience is totally different. TH no doubt is likely great in many ways.

My NA SRT Jeep is slower than both with 475hp but it is very fun tooling around town with instant predictable power. Doesnt mean I will not cross shop a replacement for it which COULD be a TH. Depends on outcomes and my goals at the time of purchase and what is out.
Appreciate 2
      01-15-2018, 05:26 PM   #44
Sotally Tober
Private First Class
Rep

Well......we shall see if any TH's show up. If they are in Texas and can't make the two events I'd be willing to come to them.

Will be interesting to see the X5M vs TH in a roll race. Who do you think would have the advantage?
Appreciate 0