BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

10-25-2014, 08:38 AM   #23
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by PunjabiM3 View Post
I would more than likely purchase a SQ5 over the Macan S.
Agreed. I was considering the Macan Turbo believe it or not. It's way too expensive for its worth. I got so much more from a 50i X5 for the price.

The SQ5 is def a solid vehicle...I considered that as well, but it was a bit small like the Macan for my tastes. That's really surprising that the Macan is actually smaller than the Q5 because the Q5 is quite small too....they gave too much trunk space and less middle row space, which makes it very cramped for people of my height (6'). Obviously, if you are single or have a significant other and smaller children, this is perfect because it's better to have more trunk space to be able to lug around more stuff. For a family with older children and frequent friends that visit, the Q5 is too tight. That's another big reason why I chose the X5. I love the back leg room and trunk space.

Smaller SUVs like the SQ5 are def worth it though because of their handling and weight distribution in relation to power.

Also, no offense to Macan lovers. I don't have anything against it at all. FWIW, this was the video that really enamored me about the Turbo...I was going to get this exact version before:

PS: My X5 50i sounds much nicer
      10-25-2014, 09:56 AM   #24
scooter2577
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2011 5.0 E70X5

Have had 4 X5s (07,08, 11) and now a 2015. The new model moves much closer to the Lexus RX which is likely what BMW wanted in order to increase sales (female market is big). My 11, while a nightmare to own for maintenance issues, drove much better if performance is what you were looking for. The new steering leaves much to be desired and I think the Article is not far off the mark. Having said that, once you get used to BMW, it is hard to move you away.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2014, 10:50 AM   #25
Barbja
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X4 M40i

I considered a Macan too but it got knocked out of the race because of Porsche's general usability issues. I also considered an SQ5. I loved how it drove and its the perfect size for me but the interior is nowhere as nice as an X5/6 even compared to an E70 and by a long shot to an E70/71.

I wish my X6 were smaller by probably 3" in every direction (except for height), but you can't have everything. I loved my E71 and I'm sure I'll love my F16 too
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2014, 11:43 AM   #26
kip1
Captain
Rep
Drives: X5M50d

Quote:
Originally Posted by barcelona View Post
Porsche (re Macan) response to test: ( post #5)

"The brake intervention shown in the video is a deliberately applied intervention
to prevent the car from rolling over...."

http://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1044514
So first Mercedes invent so called abs brakes which don't lock, so you can steer in a moose situation. Then Porsche invents something called rolling prevention, that is a revolutionary system that locks the brake, so you can't steer when avoiding a moose??? You really bought the explanation?
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2014, 12:58 PM   #27
barcelona
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: X

Quote:
Originally Posted by kip1 View Post
So first Mercedes invent so called abs brakes which don't lock, so you can steer in a moose situation. Then Porsche invents something called rolling prevention, that is a revolutionary system that locks the brake, so you can't steer when avoiding a moose??? You really bought the explanation?
No, I was stating factually what their response was. The test results was not good, Porsche had to say something other than it is a fault item, which can affect liability and impact sales. Unsure how a current owner would interpret the explanation.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2014, 01:28 PM   #28
Snow-Kidney
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F15

Quote:
Originally Posted by PunjabiM3 View Post
Agree on that, but to gain those you will sacrifice handling and speed as well. I just think that two adults would be more comfortable in the back of an A6/5-series than a small SUV in terms of both legroom and seat comfort.
There are pros and cons to every vehicle. Depends on what you want.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2014, 03:18 PM   #29
kip1
Captain
Rep
Drives: X5M50d

Quote:
Originally Posted by barcelona View Post
No, I was stating factually what their response was. The test results was not good, Porsche had to say something other than it is a fault item, which can affect liability and impact sales. Unsure how a current owner would interpret the explanation.
Exactly, sorry I misunderstood.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2014, 06:55 PM   #30
barcelona
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: X

Quote:
Originally Posted by kip1 View Post
Exactly, sorry I misunderstood.
Don't be silly, for I was the one that was not clear, as I posted with out my personal comments, implying that I endorsed the Porsche party line.
Appreciate 0