Shaw
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5 35d | 2019 X3 30i

Garage List
Question Cargo cover...

Hi All,
Has anyone removed the cargo cover before?
I'm having difficulty removing it...so there's a button on the right hand side that as we push, the right hand side slides out...but the left hand side does not and remains stuck in? I couldn't find any other release buttons on the left...
Is this a technical problem or I'm not doing it right? ...can't think of anything else being simpler than this...but I don't seem to be doing it right...
help needed...thank you
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2014, 10:03 AM   #2
chrisny
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 40i

The left will release as you slide the right side out. Doesn't sound great when it does, but it will release. I thought it odd that they removed the left side button as well, but it does make it easier.

Hopefully I'm not wrong and forcing it, but there's no left button, so has to be the way it works (right?).
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2014, 10:06 AM   #3
Shaw
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisny View Post
The left will release as you slide the right side out. Doesn't sound great when it does, but it will release. I thought it odd that they removed the left side button as well, but it does make it easier.

Hopefully I'm not wrong and forcing it, but there's no left button, so has to be the way it works (right?).
well it doesn't come out...only the right hand side does...
I think the pin on the left hand side doesn't loosen and it remains intact...
I tried a bit of force but nothing...I'm not sure how much force I can apply to it as I'm afraid I might brake it....so I'm guessing the release button doesn't work across?!
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2014, 10:46 AM   #4
chrisny
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

I'll try to take a video of ours if I can manage to hold the camera while taking it out lol. It does sound a little rough, makes you feel like you shouldn't be doing it. Maybe I'll double check the manual too before I have you breaking yours
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2014, 11:09 AM   #5
chrisny
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Doesn't look like it will let me post a video on here unless I upload it somewhere. The click it makes when it releases isn't as bad as I thought. First time it does make you feel like it's not supposed to work that way, but it will release.

The release button on the right definitely is not connected to the left, the left one just releases from the pressure as you slide the right side out. And there is no pin, just a notched plastic piece on a spring. You don't slide it straight from both sides, you release the right side and slide the right side out slowly. Once you get the right side about a foot or so back (maybe less), you'll hear the left side release (sliding it out depresses the button/catch, you'll hear a click when it springs back in place).

I checked the manual and it simply says:

1. Press the button, arrow 1, to unlock the cover.
2. Pull the cover back, arrow 2.
Name:  removing cargo cover.png
Views: 1891
Size:  46.2 KB

You see it makes no reference to the left side and shows pulling cover back from right side only..

Last edited by chrisny; 05-01-2014 at 11:28 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2014, 11:31 AM   #6
Shaw
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Doesn't look like it will let me post a video on here unless I upload it somewhere. The click it makes when it releases isn't as bad as I thought. First time it does make you feel like it's not supposed to work that way, but it will release.

The release button on the right definitely is not connected to the left, the left one just releases from the pressure as you slide the right side out. And there is no pin, just a notched plastic piece on a spring. You don't slide it straight from both sides, you release the right side and slide the right side out slowly. Once you get the right side about a foot or so back (maybe less), you'll hear the left side release (sliding it out depresses the button/catch, you'll hear a click when it springs back in place).

I checked the manual and it simply says:

1. Press the button, arrow 1, to unlock the cover.
2. Pull the cover back, arrow 2.
Attachment 1020225

You see it makes no reference to the left side and shows pulling cover back from right side only..
thx Chris...yes I did try the same...so I hear the click on the right then a release...I bring it out for about a foot (or less) but the left side is still stuck...
The pin on the left should be like the one on the right...the black plastic on the string...my take is, both should release at the same time...which apparently doesn't happen...
I'll give it another try when my wife comes back from the airport...hope she doesn't brake the cover by pushing the luggages in to hard!!!
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2014, 12:05 PM   #7
chrisny
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

I'll snap a pic of the release button without the cover attached. I don't think there is any string. When you push the button the black plastic catch/notched piece (I guess that's what you mean when you say pin?) goes down with it. That notch/pin is the same on both sides, but there is nothing connected to the one on the left, it just releases as you slide the right side out, something must depress the pin as it slides out.

My guess is you just need to slide it out further than you are, but I'll try to get some pics in a bit to show you what both sides look like with it off. I know the first time I did it, I thought for sure it would break, but I did it anyway (not exactly the most patient man in the world lol). It didn't..

Last edited by chrisny; 05-01-2014 at 12:30 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2014, 12:31 PM   #8
USAusi
Private
Rep
Drives: x5 35d

I second what Chrisny says. Here's how I take mine out, at no time do I exert any undue force. Click the button on the right side and just pull back the right side and let it pivot on the left side ( i.e. Don't even try to pull out the left side) once I have pulled back the right side about 16" then the left side just pops out without ever actually exerting any force on the left.
If yours doesn't just pop out like that on the left side, then you likely have a problem.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2014, 12:39 PM   #9
chrisny
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by USAusi View Post
I second what Chrisny says. Here's how I take mine out, at no time do I exert any undue force. Click the button on the right side and just pull back the right side and let it pivot on the left side ( i.e. Don't even try to pull out the left side) once I have pulled back the right side about 16" then the left side just pops out without ever actually exerting any force on the left.
If yours doesn't just pop out like that on the left side, then you likely have a problem.
Exactly. The first time I did it, it felt like something would break but only because I'm used to having to release it first. It doesn't require any force to get it to release, just the motion. I think we're just used to having to release both sides (which was a pain in the arse on our X3), so since we're not doing something to release the left directly, feels a bit unnatural. I'm going to actually measure the exact point it releases, if that helps.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2014, 12:42 PM   #10
Shaw
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Thanks Chris, USAusi.
Chris. I think you are correct...that pin/notch on the left should also go down at the same time as the right one is (when we push the release button).
It seems the one one left doesn't.
I will try USAusi's way as well to see if it "cracks" open...
My guess is, the black pin/notch doesn't come down and the cover just "slides" out once you give an angle to the cover?!
I tried this morning...I brought the right hand side out just shy of a foot, the left side was still rock solid...
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2014, 12:57 PM   #11
USAusi
Private
Rep
Drives: x5 35d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaw
Thanks Chris, USAusi.
Chris. I think you are correct...that pin/notch on the left should also go down at the same time as the right one is (when we push the release button).
My guess is, the black pin/notch doesn't come down and the cover just "slides" out once you give an angle to the cover?!
I tried this morning...I brought the right hand side out just shy of a foot, the left side was still rock solid...
Just note that my way doesn't require any significant force. As I pull back the right side there is absolutely no increase in force required, it comes back very easily. If yours doesn't, then there is likely a problem.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2014, 01:02 PM   #12
chrisny
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaw View Post
Thanks Chris, USAusi.
No, I'm saying it does NOT go down (is not supposed to) when you push the button. I'm saying it goes down as the right side is slid out, like US Aussie is saying, without any increase in force. You hear it snap back into place after it has released, but you don't really even feel it being depressed. Something as it is pivoting pushes the pin/button/notch (lol) piece down, then you hear it snap back. I think it's just how it's shaped, the bar itself pushes it down as it pivots.

I wish I could post the video on here, you'd see I never have to stop or add any force. Feels a little unnatural as I'm sure you noted when you first start sliding back (knowing the left side hasn't released yet), but just keep going and it releases. After you've done it once it will feel a lot more normal and you'll be thankful not to have to push one, slide back a little, push the other, slide back both.. on the X3, this was a pain because the button was along side if the bar, not on top. You practically pinched your fingers on both sides, I hated it.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2014, 01:10 PM   #13
Shaw
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by USAusi View Post
Just note that my way doesn't require any significant force. As I pull back the right side there is absolutely no increase in force required, it comes back very easily. If yours doesn't, then there is likely a problem.
ok. understood.
From what I saw this morning, didn't seem it was going to come out in peace!
I'll try once again and see what happens...
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2014, 01:14 PM   #14
Shaw
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
No, I'm saying it does NOT go down (is not supposed to) when you push the button. I'm saying it goes down as the right side is slid out, like US Aussie is saying, without any increase in force. You hear it snap back into place after it has released, but you don't really even feel it being depressed. Something as it is pivoting pushes the pin/button/notch (lol) piece down, then you hear it snap back. I think it's just how it's shaped, the bar itself pushes it down as it pivots.

I wish I could post the video on here, you'd see I never have to stop or add any force. Feels a little unnatural as I'm sure you noted when you first start sliding back (knowing the left side hasn't released yet), but just keep going and it releases. After you've done it once it will feel a lot more normal and you'll be thankful not to have to push one, slide back a little, push the other, slide back both.. on the X3, this was a pain because the button was along side if the bar, not on top. You practically pinched your fingers on both sides, I hated it.
OK, I'll give it a shot...
I don;t know which year was your X3 but my 2011 (F25) wasn't like that...if I remember correctly, first you had to turn it upwards then pull it out...then it would slide out...can't remember if there was any buttons involved though
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2014, 01:20 PM   #15
chrisny
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaw View Post
OK, I'kk give it a shot...
I don;t know which year was your X3 but my 2011 (F25) wasn't like that...if I remember correctly, first you had to turn it upwards then pull it out...then it would slide out...can't remember if there was any buttons involved through
Hmm, ours was an '11 also. There were buttons basically on the side of the trunk, adjacent to the cover. So I would have to put my finger in between the side of the car and the cover's bar. However, it was such a pain, maybe I didn't need to push them if you were able to turn it upwards then slide out.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2014, 01:53 PM   #16
Shaw
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
YES!!!
You were both correct...I was just tooooo cautious in getting the thing out...worked like a charm!
Cheers Chris & USAusie.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2014, 01:55 PM   #17
Shaw
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Hmm, ours was an '11 also. There were buttons basically on the side of the trunk, adjacent to the cover. So I would have to put my finger in between the side of the car and the cover's bar. However, it was such a pain, maybe I didn't need to push them if you were able to turn it upwards then slide out.
My F25 was the first series that was out...ironically when looking at the manual, the instructions were different than the actual thing...
there was a label underneath the cover itself on how to pull it out...maybe yours was exactly as the instructions...oh well, they might have even sold me a different car under F25...hehe...they'd probably figured it out that I buy anything with a BMW roundel on it!!!
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2014, 02:26 PM   #18
chrisny
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Lol awesome. Glad it worked. I just looked at the F25 manual too, it shows similar instructions as the F15, yet, there was no button where the button on the F15 is… so helpful lol
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2020, 10:18 AM   #19
triax37
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 F31, 2014 F15, 2002 M3

Well, I'm having the reverse problem and can't install my cargo cover (just purchased the X5 and the cargo cover was just laying in the bed). Does anyone have tips on this? I can get the left pin to engage, but then the right side won't line up. Do both sides engage at the same time, or should I try to have the left side in before putting the right side?

Oddly, there are a variety of videos of how to remove it, but none about installing it...
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2020, 03:20 PM   #20
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by triax37 View Post
Well, I'm having the reverse problem and can't install my cargo cover (just purchased the X5 and the cargo cover was just laying in the bed). Does anyone have tips on this? I can get the left pin to engage, but then the right side won't line up. Do both sides engage at the same time, or should I try to have the left side in before putting the right side?

Oddly, there are a variety of videos of how to remove it, but none about installing it...
There should be an "installation" paragraph in the owners manual...right below the removal instructions. Do you have an owners manual? If not, just type BMW f15 X5 owners manual PDF (add your model year) into a google search box and you should get some results.

EDIT...yep, the owners manual give installation instructions...is that what you tried to do?
Attached Images

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.
Appreciate 1
triax37130.00
      02-10-2020, 05:11 PM   #21
triax37
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 F31, 2014 F15, 2002 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qsilver7 View Post
There should be an "installation" paragraph in the owners manual...right below the removal instructions. Do you have an owners manual? If not, just type BMW f15 X5 owners manual PDF (add your model year) into a google search box and you should get some results.

EDIT...yep, the owners manual give installation instructions...is that what you tried to do?
Yes, this is what I've been trying. I've also tried sliding in the left side until it latches, and then the right side, which won't latch. I've even tried sliding in the right side first, which latches, and then the left side won't latch. It's very odd. I may need to dremel out a little more space in the plastic notch where the metal pin rests...

Per the instructions you showed (thank you!), it mentions a "red warning." I don't seem to have this. Would anyone else please confirm they have some type of red warning on their F15 X5?
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2020, 01:55 AM   #22
ems328i
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '14 35i (F15) '14 M135i (F21)

Quote:
Originally Posted by triax37 View Post
Per the instructions you showed (thank you!), it mentions a "red warning." I don't seem to have this. Would anyone else please confirm they have some type of red warning on their F15 X5?
This is the 'red warning', it's on both sides:
Attached Images

Appreciate 0