BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

04-11-2014, 11:18 PM   #1
sirajkas
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 2014

Xpel

Is ok to wax the car if you have the film protection on? Will it make a difference?
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2014, 08:08 PM   #2
ZuerstBMW
¡Viva España!
Rep
Drives: 2023 230i Mineral White

Yes, Treat it as you would the paint on your car.
      04-15-2014, 09:05 PM   #3
sirajkas
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZuerstBMW View Post
Thanks. I should have applied opticoat first though. I don't think it will make a difference now.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2014, 01:09 AM   #4
2014_F15
Private
Rep
Drives: 2014 X15 35d

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirajkas
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZuerstBMW View Post
Thanks. I should have applied opticoat first though. I don't think it will make a difference now.
Obviously you can't put the opti coat under the film, but you can still protect any exposed paint. Might save you some $$$ too since opti isn't cheap. We had opti applied to our car and it works great.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2014, 08:31 AM   #5
jpsjr70
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X5M

Why opti coat? Last car I did it on, the paint was rough and it really didn't shine up well. Also opti coat may have yellowed the film on my car. Still don't get it..... I guess I'm still old school using Zymol and waxing it every month with a feeding. I never use soap other than once a month if it's really bad, otherwise I rinse and dry and use Griots Garage Speed Shine at the end.

J
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2014, 09:06 PM   #6
sirajkas
First Lieutenant
Rep

Here's a reply from xpel CEO I found on autogeeks forum.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...clear-bra.html

Hi Guys,

There is still some confusion here, so I thought I would pop in and clear it up.

You can buff, polish and/or seal any of our films, including Ultimate (self-healing film). What you want to watch out for is sealants, waxes or polishes that contain a large amount of either naphtha or kerosene. These are common ingredients, which if high enough in concentration, can cause polyurethane (no matter what brand it is) to discolor over time. One irony in the paint protection film industry is that one of the most commonly prescribed products by unwitting installers to use on paint protection film is Plexus, which is 23% naphtha. We have conducted lab studies with this product and found that it does indeed cause paint protection film to yellow horrendously if used repeatedly over time. Most customers simply don't notice because their car is not white or silver, and they like that it makes the film feel slippery. If it feels slippery, it must be good, right?

On the buffing/polishing aspect, what should have been conveyed by my staff is that polishing should not ever be necessary on our self-healing film, rather than it cannot be done at all. Since the film heals swirls and light scratches on its own, there should be no reason to buff.

On the Quartz sealant, I must admit I am not familiar with this product, so I can't give any truly definitive advice. The best thing to do would be to get an MSDS sheet on the product and check for the ingredients I mentioned above. Or, the truly simple thing to do (as someone else suggested) is to use our purpose made sealant.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Best Regards,

Tim Hartt
Chief Operating Officer
XPEL Technologies Corp.
Appreciate 0