BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

05-03-2014, 04:15 PM   #1
buckeyewalt
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 50i

Door Ding

UNREAL...about 2 weeks with my new car and I park in the north forty at a mall, didn't notice anything unusual but was washing it today, a ding on the door.

Does anyone have a good solution to get most of the scuff mark off the door. I tried some cleaner wax but it probably didn't have enough polish to do anything.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2014, 07:31 PM   #2
Zipforia
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW i8

For scuff marks, polish and good elbow grease will do the job. Alternatively, acetone also works well...with less elbow grease. Does not effect the paint.

Z.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2014, 08:27 PM   #3
buckeyewalt
Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks, I knew somebody would come through, I'll go and get some polish tomorrow. I hesitated to use "elbow grease" because the car is only a few weeks old and didn't want to harm the paint, but I guess it's ok.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2014, 08:52 PM   #4
Zipforia
Captain
Rep

Before polishing, make sure you clean the area well. Then polish, followed by a good wax.

Z.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2014, 10:29 PM   #5
BMWMN1971
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X5 xDrive35i MSport

Same here!!! I try to park as far as I can from other cars but as someone told me before BMW's are a magnet for crappy cars. No matter how far you park, someone will park next to you. In my case I tried polishing but it did not come out. It is driving me nuts.

Any brands for polisher you recommend?

Last edited by BMWMN1971; 05-04-2014 at 10:34 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2014, 10:58 PM   #6
Zipforia
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWMN1971 View Post
Same here!!! I try to park as far as I can from other cars but as someone told me before BMW's are a magnet for crappy cars. No matter how far you park, someone will park next to you. In my case I tried polishing but it did not come out. It is driving me nuts.

Any brands for polisher you recommend?
I always start with a clean wash of the scuff, then acetone (make sure it's a scuff and not a scratch) on scuffs. Just to be 100% sure it won't damage the paint, (I use it on my car and I am 99.9% sure it wont damage yours either) I want everyone to do a test spot JUST IN CASE!!!...so that I wont get blamed for anything if whatever happens. Just take a Q-Tip and try out a small area of scuff. Should come right off if it's a scuff.

If that doesn't do it, I use a polish. I use Meguiar's Scratch X2.0 (pic below)....and A LOT of elbow grease. Then I wax over the polished area.

Z.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-05-2014, 09:32 PM   #7
buckeyewalt
Lieutenant
Rep

I will give that a shot tomorrow. I'm sure that Autozone carries it!
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2014, 09:55 PM   #8
BMWMN1971
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X5 xDrive35i MSport

Got this product (Meguiar's Scratch X2.0) today at my local auto parts store. Also got Clear Coat Safe Polishing Compound and Deep CrystalŽ Carnauba Wax from Meguiar's. Started with Scratch X2.0 and lots of elbow grease. Then moved to Polishing Compound and more elbow grease. Finished with the Carnauba Wax all using microfiber cloth. Door ding is 99% gone. Tks for the tips. I now have to find a way to "demagnetize" my BMW from attracting crappy cars to park next to it. If I have no choice I always try to park next to mini vans. At least I know kids won't be opening doors to ding my care since mini vans have sliding doors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zipforia View Post
I always start with a clean wash of the scuff, then acetone (make sure it's a scuff and not a scratch) on scuffs. Just to be 100% sure it won't damage the paint, (I use it on my car and I am 99.9% sure it wont damage yours either) I want everyone to do a test spot JUST IN CASE!!!...so that I wont get blamed for anything if whatever happens. Just take a Q-Tip and try out a small area of scuff. Should come right off if it's a scuff.

If that doesn't do it, I use a polish. I use Meguiar's Scratch X2.0 (pic below)....and A LOT of elbow grease. Then I wax over the polished area.

Z.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2014, 12:16 AM   #9
Zipforia
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWMN1971 View Post
Got this product (Meguiar's Scratch X2.0) today at my local auto parts store. Also got Clear Coat Safe Polishing Compound and Deep CrystalŽ Carnauba Wax from Meguiar's. Started with Scratch X2.0 and lots of elbow grease. Then moved to Polishing Compound and more elbow grease. Finished with the Carnauba Wax all using microfiber cloth. Door ding is 99% gone. Tks for the tips. I now have to find a way to "demagnetize" my BMW from attracting crappy cars to park next to it. If I have no choice I always try to park next to mini vans. At least I know kids won't be opening doors to ding my care since mini vans have sliding doors.

Glad I can help! When I said, "lots of elbow grease," I wasn't kidding.

Unfortunately, even minivans aren't safe to park next to because sometimes, these kids have parents that are inconsiderate to other peoples' cars and sets a poor example.

Z.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2014, 09:02 PM   #10
buckeyewalt
Lieutenant
Rep

I used the X2.0 and a lot of elbow grease. After that, I used some P21S paint cleaner, which is a very, very, mild polishing compound to smooth things out. Then I put down some Wolfgang paint sealant and waxed over it with some P21S Carnauba Wax. Scuff all gone, but a little make is still there but you can only see it at a certain angle which is ok by me.

A crappy thing one must do for some inconsiderate jerk!
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2014, 11:07 PM   #11
Zipforia
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeyewalt View Post
I used the X2.0 and a lot of elbow grease. After that, I used some P21S paint cleaner, which is a very, very, mild polishing compound to smooth things out. Then I put down some Wolfgang paint sealant and waxed over it with some P21S Carnauba Wax. Scuff all gone, but a little make is still there but you can only see it at a certain angle which is ok by me.

A crappy thing one must do for some inconsiderate jerk!
Glad it worked.

You're preaching to the choir about the jerks. It drives me up the wall as well.

Z.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2014, 01:38 AM   #12
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X5 50i

I'm sorry about all your ding/scuff/scratch issues, guys. People can be real jerks - I think a big part of it comes from jealousy, unfortunately. I even make it a point if I'm parked next to a cheaper or more expensive car than mine to put my hand in between the doors both opening/closing just to be safe. A little caution goes a long way...just wish everyone practiced this same courtesy, lol (smh).
Appreciate 0