BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

12-30-2015, 04:37 PM   #1
sam1989
Registered
Rep
Drives: 550i

several questions re: x5 - about to buy, but..

Hello gentlemen. I am hoping that you can help me with an X5 purchase. I often am intimidated in dealers, so I need some basic help. I don't really have someone to negotiate for me.
1. the 2015 x5 35d - am i safe from an emissions standpoint if I buy one?
2. I have seen people getting about 9% off of MSRP on 2016 X5 cars. What about for the 2015 models? Is the discount/incentives about the same? What are the incentives? I don't own a BMW but had a 328i cvt in the past.
3. Can someone who has the blind spot and front collision tell me about them? Are they as good as the volvo, etc?
4. If the 35d is risky, I am ok with the 35i. Why do some prefer the i to the d?
5. Is carbon buildup an issue in the 2015 35d?
6. Any add ons that i should get with the car?

Thanks gentlemen. Samantha.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2015, 05:21 PM   #2
stewy604
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X5 xDrive 35d M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam1989 View Post
Hello gentlemen. I am hoping that you can help me with an X5 purchase. I often am intimidated in dealers, so I need some basic help. I don't really have someone to negotiate for me.
2. I have seen people getting about 9% off of MSRP on 2016 X5 cars. What about for the 2015 models? Is the discount/incentives about the same? What are the incentives? I don't own a BMW but had a 328i cvt in the past.
3. Can someone who has the blind spot and front collision tell me about them? Are they as good as the volvo, etc?
4. If the 35d is risky, I am ok with the 35i. Why do some prefer the i to the d?

Hey Samantha,

1. Absolutely.
2. There should be some local incentives (varies it seems by region) on moving the 2015 inventory.
3. I can't comment, my F15 is not equipped with this.
4. I wouldn't say the 35d is risky at all. Diesels have many advantages, just depends on your driving needs and what you need from the vehicle.
5. No. Just like any vehicle, the diesel needs it legs stretched (short commutes would not be it's friend).
6. Again, comes down to personal preference. Are you going for comfort, appearance, performance, functionality?
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2015, 05:44 PM   #3
C5 FOR
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G05 xDrive30d Mineral White

Quote:
Originally Posted by stewy604 View Post
Hey Samantha,

1. Absolutely.
2. There should be some local incentives (varies it seems by region) on moving the 2015 inventory.
4. I wouldn't say the 35d is risky at all. Diesels have many advantages, just depends on your driving needs and what you need from the vehicle.
5. No. Just like any vehicle, the diesel needs it legs stretched (short commutes would not be it's friend).
6. Again, comes down to personal preference. Are you going for comfort, appearance, performance, functionality?
Overthinking it Dude..

1. as above
2. as above
3. ermmmm, are they as good as Volvo?. honestly no idea, never owned a volvo. which doesn't help at all. So, I am somewhat blind.
4. Diesel all day long
5. Many, pano roof, LED's, leather, HUD, the MFID, wheels, ventilation, long list. Pers pref as ever, go check em out at dealership, may not be on your X5 but you will get a flavour for em.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2015, 06:19 PM   #4
Snow-Kidney
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F15

Quote:

Get the Premium package to make sure you have Comfort Access.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2015, 07:24 PM   #5
BitteEinBit
Field Marshall
Rep
Drives: '14 X5 35i DHP MPPK

Here's my list of add ons:

ZCW Cold Weather Package (Heated Steering Wheel, Heated rear seats, Retractable headlight washers)
ZDA Driver Assistance Package (Rear view camera, Head-up Display)
ZDB Driver Assistance Plus (Active Blind Spot Detection, ACC Stop&Go + Active Drive Assist, Side and Top View Cameras, Speed Limit Info)
ZDH Dynamic Handling Package (2VP Dynamic Peformance Control+ARS)
ZLP Lighting Package (Adaptive Full LED Lights, Automatic high beams)
ZPP Premium Package (Comfort Access keyless entry, Soft-close automatic doors, Satellite radio w/1 year sub)
2VM Dynamic Damper + rear axle suspension
4NB 4-zone climate control
5DP Parking Assistant
6F2 Bang & Olufsen Sound System
6FH Rear-seat entertainment (DVD monitors)
6UK Night Vision w/pedestrian detection
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2015, 07:48 PM   #6
apw2607
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 50e M-Sport

Quote:
Hey Samantha,

1. Absolutely.
"diesel needs it legs stretched (short commutes would not be it's friend)"

Are you still living in 1990 ?
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2015, 10:02 AM   #7
stewy604
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X5 xDrive 35d M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by apw2607 View Post
Are you still living in 1990?
Nope, but I appreciate your worthless post. No point in buying a diesel if you're going to commute 5-10 mins with it and shut it off? You pay more for the engine, and more for the fuel (in most areas). To each their own, but short run times on diesels have proven to be a negative.
Appreciate 1
      12-31-2015, 02:59 PM   #8
deez330
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 F80 M3 Comp, 2014 F15

Garage List
2015 BMW X5  [0.00]
2006 330i  [0.00]
Nice list of options..that's actually exactly my build options wise, except mine is not diesel. You will be very happy with it.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2015, 03:20 PM   #9
deez330
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 F80 M3 Comp, 2014 F15

Garage List
2015 BMW X5  [0.00]
2006 330i  [0.00]
Quote:

It's hard to tell with the diesels since the laws and regulations can change at any time. Not sure if this is what your asking, but if you can find a 2015 o the lot you can usually get a better deal for it vs the 2016. The CA will tell you it's the same because of depreciation on the resale value.
Blind spot is decent, but not as good as some other brands like Lexus where the signal is actually built into the mirror. I've found that the Lexus blind spot signal is a lot brighter and obvious, as well as more reliable. One thing to keep in mind is that the Bmw one only activates above 30mph, and is not 100% reliable so always use with caution. Front collision is great, it will give you audible and visibility signal to warn you if it determines you are approaching another vehicle in front of you too fast. It will prime the brakes for you, making it quicker for the brakes to engage when you do step on the brakes. In certain circumstances, it will even brake for you. I find that it works best when using the active cruise control, which is great.
The gas engine and the Diesel engine are both great, albeit very different. the better choice will be different for each person depending on their uses and location. Some areas have less access to quality diesel, and also higher prices. Some states such as Illinois have high amounts of biodiesel, which is not optimal and can harm your engine. The diesel is great on fuel economy however, and the torque at low to mid range speeds is superior to the gas engine. Gas will be better at highway speeds. Gas engines usually have more/earlier access to mods, if you are into that kinda thing. The MPPK is still not available for the diesels, I believe.

Not sure about add ons, but definitely choose to have it with tires best suited to your roads and weather conditions. Floor mats and all that stuff are good to get right away as well, to protect your investment. Other then that, you won't need too much. The car is built to be great it of the box!
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2015, 06:48 PM   #10
sam1989
Registered
Rep

what exactly are the incentives and details for a 2015 or 2016 car? I went back today and there is no transparency. frustrating.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2015, 07:05 PM   #11
F15GorDe
Well versed in the care and feeding of BMWs
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15d, F10

Quote:
Nope, but I appreciate your worthless post. No point in buying a diesel if you're going to commute 5-10 mins with it and shut it off? You pay more for the engine, and more for the fuel (in most areas). To each their own, but short run times on diesels have proven to be a negative.
+1. ^^^^
      01-02-2016, 02:39 AM   #12
sam1989
Registered
Rep

Quote:
what exactly are the incentives and details for a 2015 or 2016 car? I went back today and there is no transparency. frustrating.
anyone?
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2016, 07:13 AM   #13
Roundown
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam1989
Quote:
anyone?
Depends on the car, unfortunately.

Right now, I would aim for 12% off MSRP (including rebates and credits).

I would also avoid the diesel. N55 (gasoline I-6) is buttery smooth, ubiquitous (and therefore more likely to be discounted), factory-tunable (MPPK) and doesn't suffer from carbon build up like the N54. It's also more powerful and likely easier to sell in the future (as future owners may have the same concerns you do). As others have mentioned- the diesel is a worthwhile compromise if you travel long distances, frequently (for its tank size, really). Otherwise, it's likely more expensive to operate over the long term and it's drivetrain comes with the tail risk of being phased out (ahead of gasoline, but before pure electrics).

Regarding safety features, I have everything you mentioned above with the exception of adaptive cruise control (not available on the X5M). Thus far, they've worked flawlessly. Would add that Volvo really isn't the benchmark in this space (Google: "Volvo safety demonstration accident"); I suspect BMW or Audi deserve that title (or even Subaru for democratizing the tech to $30k cars re: EyeSight).
Appreciate 0