BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

01-31-2018, 11:12 PM   #1
pannu86
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2017 X5

Buzzing noise from under the steering in 2017 X5

Hello all, I have a new 2017 X5 and have noticed a buzzing or static like noise from under the steering wheel since the beginning. I hear it when I am driving over road bumps or over the road strips or uneven pavement. No noise during turning or when it is stopped or over even road. Took it to the service center twice and they say that they can not reproduce it and returned it back. Please advise what could it be and what I could do about it. Thank you!

Last edited by pannu86; 01-31-2018 at 11:21 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2018, 11:57 PM   #2
Waoudi
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 X5 MSport, '16 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by pannu86 View Post
Hello all, I have a new 2017 X5 and have noticed a buzzing or static like noise from under the steering wheel since the beginning. I hear it when I am driving over road bumps or over the road strips or uneven pavement. No noise during turning or when it is stopped or over even road. Took it to the service center twice and they say that they can not reproduce it and returned it back. Please advise what could it be and what I could do about it. Thank you!
My Dealer called it a loose wire and taped it and as soon as I left the dealer it started again. I think in my first F15 that ended up causing the steering wheel to stop from moving up and down and they had to replace the steering column. Common problem.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2018, 07:34 AM   #3
Doanster
Major
Rep
Drives: 2014 F15 Carbon Black M-Sport

Buzzing/static noise vs a pop/crack is strange. Either way, first thing to do is have a passenger take a quick video as you're driving over a bump so that you can let the dealership see it. Otherwise you'll keep wasting time bringing the car in.
      02-01-2018, 08:20 AM   #4
tntp
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5S35i

well, the noise sounds the hard drive noise when starting up. BMW uses the hard drive storage for the infortainment system, not the solid state drive (more expensive). You should hear the noise when booting up only, otherwise it is a signal of a bad hard drive. Should be a cheap fix covered by BMW warranty.
Appreciate 0