BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

02-03-2018, 02:14 PM   #1
Ljn21
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 X5 x35i

New to BMW/X5, Confused by coding options

Hi everyone, just picked up our first BMW, a 2017 X5, been doing tons of reading but am confused by coding options. What is the difference Bimmercode, ESYS, Carly, etc.

What obd adapter is everyone buying? I thought I remember someone posting a link to one from Amazon but cant find the link anymore...thr Vgate icar Bluetooth ones days no longer available on Amazon.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2018, 06:11 PM   #2
CeeTeeX5
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 X5 xDrive35i M-Sport

Bimmercode and Carly are coding options that allow you to use your mobile phone with an app and wifi/bluetooth OBDII connector to code in a simple UI. It's basically coding for dummies. I only have experience with Bimmercode and find it does about 95% of what I need.

Esys is the more manual tool/way to code which requires a laptop and physical cable connection to OBDII to code. I'm sure someone will be along that can provide a better explanation.

This is the wifi adapter that bimmercode recommends: http://a.co/2URknNJ

If you're looking for a simple way to get most coding done. Bimmercode or Carly is probably your best option.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2018, 07:16 PM   #3
DuSh
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F15 X5 50i

So as CeeTeeX5 said and I'll also add to that: I have Carly and from what I can read about Bimmercode - it can do more than Carly. So pick Bimmercode - that should get done almost everything you need (the only thing that IMHO Carly does better - it's a live logging that you can record and analyze - this is mostly used if you are tuned)

If you'll find that you want to dive into more coding - then you can always start with ESYS http://www. bmw******.online/software-downloads/esys/ - substitute coding instead of *
Down the road later, you can also download and install Rheingold (ISTA) - the software that dealers use to diagnose and lookup service procedures
You'll need a laptop and a ENET cable like this for $20 and you'll be good to go: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2018, 09:21 PM   #4
shezi01
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMX X5 35i

First of all congrats on the new ride.
Agree with both CeeTeeX5 & DuSH stated. Bimmercode app is also available for iOS & google play. Keep in mind that you have to get bimmercode app and bimmerlink app(reset if warning lights show up)in iOS and in android version there is one app and bimmerlink is built in.

If you are hesitant or got questions, see if there is a fellow member in the area who can show you(demo) and then you can look into buying and using it. Bimmercode app is pretty straight forward.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2018, 01:41 AM   #5
Ljn21
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 X5 x35i

Thanks everyone! We are loving the X5 so far. Had dealer throw in MPPK, anxiously waiting for code to show up!
Appreciate 0