BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW X5 and X6 Forum (F15/F16) > BMW X5 (F15) and BMW X6 (F16) Forum > BMW X5 and X6 (F15/F16) Forum

02-16-2018, 12:12 AM   #1
euro-r
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 17' BMW X5 | MSport | MPPK

Front kidney Grille Suggestion for 17' Carbon Black M Sport X5 w MPPk

Hi Guys,

I had been struggle if I should change the front grille for my 2017 X5 M Sport with MPPK (Carbon Black color) ever since I got this vehicle in Oct 2017 :

1. Keep original one, Chrome with single slat (my friends said black grille doesn't look good with carbon black so better to keep it as is)
2. Black single slat
3. Black double slat
4. Chrome with black double slat inside

Any suggestions?

Appreciate 0
      02-16-2018, 12:38 AM   #2
Doanster
Major
Rep
Drives: 2014 F15 Carbon Black M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by euro-r View Post
Hi Guys,

I had been struggle if I should change the front grille for my 2017 X5 M Sport with MPPK (Carbon Black color) ever since I got this vehicle in Oct 2017 :

1. Keep original one, Chrome with single slat (my friends said black grille doesn't look good with carbon black so better to keep it as is)
2. Black single slat
3. Black double slat

Any suggestions?

"What 'choo talkin' 'bout Willis?!?!" (Let's see who's old enough to know this one...)

Dual black slat FTW. Your friend is on crack. Reduce as much chrome as possible. Second on your list should be to get rid of the amber reflectors. Either buy CB replacements from Ben or spray them with Plasti-Dip/VHT Nightshades. Preferably the former.

http://f15.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...9&postcount=99

http://f15.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...postcount=1643

http://f15.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...postcount=2879
      02-16-2018, 12:49 AM   #3
brandonsim
Private
Malaysia
Rep
Drives: F15 xDrive40e M Sport

I do agree, your friend must be on crack, black dual slat all day long, dont even need to think!
      02-16-2018, 04:23 AM   #4
sbinshihon
Captain
Rep
Drives: X5 M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandonsim View Post
I do agree, your friend must be on crack, black dual slat all day long, dont even need to think!
This.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2018, 08:13 PM   #5
neverdone
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: X5, 335, Ford Lightning, 63 me

Why was it important for you to mention you have mppk when you're trying to decide in grills...Just asking, because it seems humblebraggy.

I'm old and grumpy and I like to post about it. So take it with a grain of salt.
Appreciate 2
Kzang3222.00
CeeTeeX5936.00
      02-17-2018, 08:18 PM   #6
ABZ101
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X3M | X5 F15

Black double slat is what I got, looks more aggressive [IMG][/IMG]
Attached Images

Jlu88360.00
      02-17-2018, 08:47 PM   #7
Kzang
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35i Msport SG

Quote:
Originally Posted by neverdone View Post
Why was it important for you to mention you have mppk when you're trying to decide in grills...Just asking, because it seems humblebraggy.

I'm old and grumpy and I like to post about it. So take it with a grain of salt.
I don't get it either. Some people mention that they have a 50i which is irrelevant to the question they are asking as well. Haha.
      02-18-2018, 12:21 AM   #8
absolutegtr
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35i M-sport

I like gloss black grills on just about every BMW car... except the F15. They are just so BIG and in your face. I’d argue with myself the gloss black grills on a jet black f15 would look good. Which goes against my usual logic of dark colored bmw’s retaining the factory chrome grills and white/silver/light colored bmws looking great with gloss black grills.

Needless to say I went with the titanium grills for my M-sport. And that is the only FACTORY option that is compatible with nightvision equipped cars.

Just my opinion though!

Appreciate 0
      02-18-2018, 08:56 AM   #9
Kzang
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABZ101 View Post
Black double slat is what I got, looks more aggressive [IMG][/IMG]
Good thing you didn't white out the front license plate. It would have looked like mater from cars
      02-18-2018, 08:58 AM   #10
Kzang
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by absolutegtr View Post
I like gloss black grills on just about every BMW car... except the F15. They are just so BIG and in your face. I’d argue with myself the gloss black grills on a jet black f15 would look good. Which goes against my usual logic of dark colored bmw’s retaining the factory chrome grills and white/silver/light colored bmws looking great with gloss black grills.

Needless to say I went with the titanium grills for my M-sport. And that is the only FACTORY option that is compatible with nightvision equipped cars.

Just my opinion though!

The problem for me is chrome used to be "cool" the last 10 years and gold plated 10 years before that... now it's black
      02-18-2018, 12:16 PM   #11
absolutegtr
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35i M-sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kzang View Post
The problem for me is chrome used to be "cool" the last 10 years and gold plated 10 years before that... now it's black
The ones I pictured above are the titanium slats and not the full chrome ones bmw also offers.

But if my car was carbon black like yours I probably would go gloss black.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2018, 12:32 PM   #12
euro-r
Private First Class
Rep

thank you guys...i tend to like gloss black with double slat one more. Any recommendation on which vendors?
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2018, 12:38 PM   #13
euro-r
Private First Class
Rep

Thank you for the photos.

What my friend mean is if my car is black/white/grey color it look better with the black grille...bigger contrast. He got the black performance grille on his white one with mppk2. But my car doesn't have mppk2 (with the front spoiler, cf mirror covers, diffuser). That's why i mentioned mppk on the topic, sorry guys. Cuz i think it would definitely look better with black grilles along with the black mppk2 add-ons. I'm actually thinking of getting the diffuser and a front spoiler after as well, I like the oem diffuser, but for front spoiler i'm trying to see if there are other options.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doanster View Post
"What 'choo talkin' 'bout Willis?!?!" (Let's see who's old enough to know this one...)

Dual black slat FTW. Your friend is on crack. Reduce as much chrome as possible. Second on your list should be to get rid of the amber reflectors. Either buy CB replacements from Ben or spray them with Plasti-Dip/VHT Nightshades. Preferably the former.

http://f15.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...9&postcount=99

http://f15.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...postcount=1643

http://f15.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...postcount=2879
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2018, 03:52 PM   #14
CeeTeeX5
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 X5 xDrive35i M-Sport

Quote:
Thank you for the photos.

What my friend mean is if my car is black/white/grey color it look better with the black grille...bigger contrast. He got the black performance grille on his white one with mppk2. But my car doesn't have mppk2 (with the front spoiler, cf mirror covers, diffuser). That's why i mentioned mppk on the topic, sorry guys. Cuz i think it would definitely look better with black grilles along with the black mppk2 add-ons. I'm actually thinking of getting the diffuser and a front spoiler after as well, I like the oem diffuser, but for front spoiler i'm trying to see if there are other options.
I see you are in Canada and you guys have a M Performance Package that includes the aero add ons, which sounds like what you are referring to when referencing MPPk. I think that's causing some confusion for the rest of us in the US.

Most people here refer to MPPK as the M Performance Power Kit, which is the BMW performance tune.

Sounds like you are referring to the M Performance aero add ons when you are talking about MPPK.

With that said, I think the gloss black grills look great whether you have the aero add ons or not. I'd still get the black grills.
Wheels: Winter - 469m; Summer - Vossen CV7 22s

2018 X1 28i M-Sport

Last edited by CeeTeeX5; 02-18-2018 at 03:59 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2018, 05:10 PM   #15
cvillanFL
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW X5 40e

Quote:
Hi Guys,

2. Black single slat
3. Black double slat

Any suggestions?

black single slat.....
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
      02-18-2018, 05:50 PM   #16
cruzzinlow
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvillanFL View Post
black single slat.....
Nice... looks great
      02-18-2018, 06:09 PM   #17
euro-r
Private First Class
Rep

Oic...Yes that's what I meant, I didn't know Canada and us market are different on that until now, thanks for the explanation

Quote:
Originally Posted by CeeTeeX5 View Post
I see you are in Canada and you guys have a M Performance Package that includes the aero add ons, which sounds like what you are referring to when referencing MPPk. I think that's causing some confusion for the rest of us in the US.

Most people here refer to MPPK as the M Performance Power Kit, which is the BMW performance tune.

Sounds like you are referring to the M Performance aero add ons when you are talking about MPPK.

With that said, I think the gloss black grills look great whether you have the aero add ons or not. I'd still get the black grills.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2018, 09:09 PM   #18
euro-r
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Oic...Yes that's what I meant, I didn't know Canada and us market are different on that until now, thanks for the explanation

Quote:

saw this carbon fibre grille online, have anyone tried putting this on? what do you guys think??
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-06-2018, 11:30 PM   #19
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G09 XM, G05 X5 40, 991.2 T

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

saw this carbon fibre grille online, have anyone tried putting this on? what do you guys think??
Yes, I have it listed on my website.
Also made by AutoTecknic.
Somehow didn't get too much love like the plain gloss black.
Active Autowerke • KW • H&R • Ohlins • Remus • and more...
Appreciate 0