BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

03-09-2018, 01:27 PM   #1
airbourne
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

2016 x5 with nbt evo

I bought my X5 in Mar 2017 (pre-owned) and some time after I discovered that it has the older sat navigation installed. I did some research and I learned that my X5 has NBT CIC High system, but newer X5s have newer sat navigation, called NBT evo.

I did not give it much thought, i went on ebay, bought cheapest newer sat navigation NBT EVO and installed it in my car... and nothing worked, it said "no signal" on the monitor. I thought that the seller sold me faulty unit and in the communication process I learned that apparently newer sat navigation cannot work with old NBT screen, but at the time I could not find anywhere correct nbt evo screen for my car, so I was stuck.

I put nbt evo on the shelf and forgot about it for a while.
Then I thought to myself that there must be a solution, so I started reading and finally understood what is going on:

-> nbt evo cannot work with nbt display because of voltage differences
-> coding is needed for the unit to work
-> most importantly, if nbt evo is not configured for the car in which you install it, it will block itself

Long story short, i found a company in Canada (Bimmer Retrofit) who was willing to help me fix this, but I had to physically ship the evo nbt and my screen from nbt to them; it wasn't working anyway, so I took my chances and to my surprise they did fix it! 2 days after they received it, they emailed me photos of my system working, but of course I had unanticipated costs. It turned out that the evo unit that i was sold on ebay did not have gps inside. How is that even possible?! Gladly, the guys knew exactly what to do and shipped the unit back to me, along with external gps module!! EVERYTHING WORKS now! Well, not exactly I no longer have active traffic information, but I think I'm ok without it for now.

I am so grateful for their help!
Don't repeat my mistake!!
Appreciate 1
P111541.50
      03-10-2018, 05:53 AM   #2
sbinshihon
Captain
Rep
Drives: X5 M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by airbourne View Post
I bought my X5 in Mar 2017 (pre-owned) and some time after I discovered that it has the older sat navigation installed. I did some research and I learned that my X5 has NBT CIC High system, but newer X5s have newer sat navigation, called NBT evo.

I did not give it much thought, i went on ebay, bought cheapest newer sat navigation NBT EVO and installed it in my car... and nothing worked, it said "no signal" on the monitor. I thought that the seller sold me faulty unit and in the communication process I learned that apparently newer sat navigation cannot work with old NBT screen, but at the time I could not find anywhere correct nbt evo screen for my car, so I was stuck.

I put nbt evo on the shelf and forgot about it for a while.
Then I thought to myself that there must be a solution, so I started reading and finally understood what is going on:

-> nbt evo cannot work with nbt display because of voltage differences
-> coding is needed for the unit to work
-> most importantly, if nbt evo is not configured for the car in which you install it, it will block itself

Long story short, i found a company in Canada (Bimmer Retrofit) who was willing to help me fix this, but I had to physically ship the evo nbt and my screen from nbt to them; it wasn't working anyway, so I took my chances and to my surprise they did fix it! 2 days after they received it, they emailed me photos of my system working, but of course I had unanticipated costs. It turned out that the evo unit that i was sold on ebay did not have gps inside. How is that even possible?! Gladly, the guys knew exactly what to do and shipped the unit back to me, along with external gps module!! EVERYTHING WORKS now! Well, not exactly I no longer have active traffic information, but I think I'm ok without it for now.

I am so grateful for their help!
Don't repeat my mistake!!
Thanks for writing this.. so you made the NBT EVO work with your older screen? How much total cost did you end up spending?!

Regarding gps, yes the Evo unit has a separate unit for that. Am debating weather to bother changing the system, since the old NBT works well.
Appreciate 0