BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

04-16-2015, 07:19 PM   #1
2-cb
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5M

Garage List
Best Dash Cam?

Are any of you guys running dash cams and/or cams that record interior during service, etc. Was thinking about getting one and looking for opinions re brands/models as well as any advice for installers in LA. I want it and V1 hardwired.

Thanks!
A.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2015, 07:44 PM   #2
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G09 XM, G05 X5 40, 991.2 T

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2-cb View Post
Are any of you guys running dash cams and/or cams that record interior during service, etc. Was thinking about getting one and looking for opinions re brands/models as well as any advice for installers in LA. I want it and V1 hardwired.

Thanks!
A.
I uses Blackvue. Let me know, I can install them. Have them on my F15 and I am local.
Active Autowerke • KW • H&R • Ohlins • Remus • and more...
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2015, 11:19 AM   #3
Stunnaz
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X6 (F16)

Cowon AW2 is probably the best available dash cam right now. Comes with one camera in the front and one in the rear. Connects to your phone using WIFI.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2015, 07:02 PM   #4
Kzang
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35i Msport SG

Are there any surround video recording capability? Most Asian countries have video surveillance standard on their cars which monitors the car while parked. I wonder when US will catch up:/
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2015, 02:43 AM   #5
Snow-Kidney
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kzang View Post
Are there any surround video recording capability? Most Asian countries have video surveillance standard on their cars which monitors the car while parked. I wonder when US will catch up:/
When the US charges three times the price. Have you tired to buy an X5 in Hong Kong?

Regardless, how many cars in Asia come with 'surround video??
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2015, 05:43 AM   #6
Kzang
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snow-Kidney View Post
When the US charges three times the price. Have you tired to buy an X5 in Hong Kong?

Regardless, how many cars in Asia come with 'surround video??
Its not just X5's. In South Korea all new Hyundai cars come with cameras that record while driving and parked standard.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2015, 09:41 AM   #7
monkray
Private
Rep
Drives: X5 30d M Sport

Installed a Blackvue DR650GW HD three months ago and I am very happy with it. One camera at the front (1080p) and another at the back (720p), includes GPS and a shock sensor. If you hook it up to a constant power source (I use the "Powermagic" add-on to avoid draining the battery too much) then can record when it detects movement when the car is parked. I use a 64GB SD card and it can store a lot of footage before it starts t overwrite again.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2015, 01:15 PM   #8
Snow-Kidney
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Its not just X5's. In South Korea all new Hyundai cars come with cameras that record while driving and parked standard.
I'm curious to read more about the standard cameras now installed in Hyundai cars. Can you post a link because I'm having trouble finding it myself.

I just read an article less than 18 months old in which Hyundai states that it has no plans to sell cars equipped with these cameras. Things probably have changed but I cannot find when the changed course. Given Korea's high internet speeds and connected society it is no surprise that the US doesn't have this as an option yet. Plus there is the huge concern over privacy here where Korea does not face this hurdle.

Here the article: http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articl...-in-korea-cars
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2015, 01:21 PM   #9
zeusdogo
Rep
Drives: Audi A6

I am currently using Blackvue DR650GW-2ch in all of my cars. I am satisfied with the performance and they are much reliable units.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2015, 01:32 PM   #10
Kzang
Major General
Rep

Quote:
I'm curious to read more about the standard cameras now installed in Hyundai cars. Can you post a link because I'm having trouble finding it myself.

I just read an article less than 18 months old in which Hyundai states that it has no plans to sell cars equipped with these cameras. Things probably have changed but I cannot find when the changed course. Given Korea's high internet speeds and connected society it is no surprise that the US doesn't have this as an option yet. Plus there is the huge concern over privacy here where Korea does not face this hurdle.

Here the article: http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articl...-in-korea-cars
Interestingly, I could not find any link as well.. I did however travel there a year ago ( I was born there ) to visit my family and noticed that all cars were equipped integrated with the rearview mirrors. I also saw this in China.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2015, 01:57 PM   #11
Snow-Kidney
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Interestingly, I could not find any link as well.. I did however travel there a year ago ( I was born there ) to visit my family and noticed that all cars were equipped integrated with the rearview mirrors. I also saw this in China.
Are you able to go the Korean Hyundai website and see the feature called out?
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2015, 08:04 AM   #12
VinX3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 X3

I have the Mini 0803. It's cheap ($80), discrete and picture quality is good. There are newer versions Mini 0806 that cost around $100, and picture quality is better. For the price, it can't be beat. Look it up on youtube. The review is very positive.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2015, 12:18 PM   #13
Kzang
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Are you able to go the Korean Hyundai website and see the feature called out?

So what I recall seeing was like this http://www.alibaba.com/product-detai...010154610.html but it was intergrated seemlessly into the rear view mirror. My reading vocabulary is of elementary level I left South Korea when I was around 7 years old so I pretty much grew up here I went to korea's hyundai site and couldn't find anything on it.

Maybe I am wrong and they are aftermarket cameras and it is popular there so everyone has them . Every single car and taxi I rode in had similar set up and when I asked what they were they replied that it was a blackbox for a car which records while driving and parked.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2015, 05:42 PM   #14
Snow-Kidney
Lieutenant
Rep

Interesting that you mention taxi because in the Bloomberg article I linked to it states that Korean taxis were the start of the country's carcam craze.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2016, 08:31 AM   #15
DeltaFX1942
Stormtrooper
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 Audi A3 2.0T Quattro

Quote:
So what I recall seeing was like this http://www.alibaba.com/product-detai...010154610.html but it was intergrated seemlessly into the rear view mirror. My reading vocabulary is of elementary level I left South Korea when I was around 7 years old so I pretty much grew up here I went to korea's hyundai site and couldn't find anything on it.

Maybe I am wrong and they are aftermarket cameras and it is popular there so everyone has them . Every single car and taxi I rode in had similar set up and when I asked what they were they replied that it was a blackbox for a car which records while driving and parked.
They are all aftermarket. Most luxury car dealers (BMW/Audi, etc.) throw in the system for free if you purchase Korean-spec. Since we shipped our US-spec Q5, Audi Itaewon installed one for $300 all in (front/rear 1080p camera + installation). Took about 3 hours.
Appreciate 0