BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW X5 and X6 Forum (F15/F16) > BMW X5 (F15) and BMW X6 (F16) Forum > BMW X5 and X6 (F15/F16) Forum

12-22-2015, 12:07 PM   #1
Zoomzorch
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 xDrive35d

X5 Diesel Passed Same Real World Emission Test That Volkswagen Failed

I was ready to order my 2015 XDrive35d TDI when news broke that Volkswagen had installed dubious code into some of their diesel vehicles in order to circumvent emissions testing. I was concerned (and heard rumors in the press) that BMW also installed dubious code. Wanting to determine if I should cancel my order, I searched & learned how the Volkswagen emissions noncompliance program was discovered. I was pleased to discover the X5 Diesel was used in the same, highly publicized, independent diesel emission tests as the VW Passat & Jetta. I came across references to US & European tests. Read on, the X5 did very well.

“The diesel vehicles chosen for the West Virginia study were the VW Passat, the VW Jetta and the BMW X5. Unlike the VW vehicles, Carder said the BMW vehicle “performed very nicely – at, or below, the certification emission levels.”” Excerpt found here: http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/...0RM2D720150924

“Discrepancies in the European tests on the diesel models of the VW Passat, the VW Jetta and the BMW X5 last year … On the open road, the Jetta exceeded the U.S. nitrogen oxide emissions standard by 15 to 35 times. The Passat was 5 to 20 times the standard. It was shocking, … The BMW X5 passed the road test.” Excerpts found here: http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articl...lean-air-group

“The ruse began to unravel for Volkswagen when independent parties looked into how European-manufactured diesel vehicles performed in U.S. driving conditions. The International Council on Clean Transportation, an independent nonprofit organization, partnered with the UWV’s CAFEE to test three vehicles: a BMW, a VW Passat, and a VW Jetta. According to Thiruvengadam, who was directly involved in the research, the point was actually to prove that it was possible for diesel cars to run clean.” Excerpt found here: http://thinkprogress.org/climate/201...ered-questions

“The International Council on Clean Transportation, a nonprofit research group asked WVU to test NOx and other emissions on three cars: a BMW X5 SUV, a VW Jetta, and a VW Passat.” Excerpt found here: http://wvpublic.org/post/wvu-researc...ion-violations

CAFEE Final Report “In-Use Emissions Testing of Light-Duty Diesel Vehicles in the United States.” <http://www.theicct.org/sites/default/files/publications/WVU_LDDV_in-use_ICCT_Report_Final_may2014.pdf>
(You can find images of a BMW X5 (Vehicle C/X5 by deduction) fitted with testing equipment on pages 38 & 41 of the CAFEE Final Report)

ICCT White Paper “Real-World Exhaust Emissions From Modern Diesel Cars”: http://www.theicct.org/sites/default...s_20141013.pdf
Appreciate 1
      12-22-2015, 05:12 PM   #2
Shaw
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5 35d | 2019 X3 30i

Garage List
Yes BMW passed right off the bat with flying colors...
Reason it was on hold was not only BMW but all other manufacturers were put on hold by government (EPA)...they all had to go through test and procedures to get new badges and approvals...
Appreciate 1
      12-23-2015, 10:04 PM   #3
rexus300
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: car

To me I could careless. I have a 2015 BMW X5d and 2014 Audi A6 TDI and I love the TDI engine better (more torque and power) vs the X5. However, the Audi is a great car and the quattro system is unbeatable in the snow with winter tires. Honestly most people are not going to notice that much of a difference with the emission set up that VW/Audi did. My 3.0TDI just needs a small reprogramming but there will be no change in the gas mileage. Few bad seeds at VW doesn't mean the entire company of VW or Audi is bad. I would not even bother making a big thing out of this. Heck GM is alot worse with the ignition recall and Toyota with the pedal stuck and Takata with the airbags compared to this small computer reprogramming cheat. Its not like its going to kill anyone...
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2015, 12:45 AM   #4
rbilramz
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5 x35d

Quote:
Originally Posted by rexus300
To me I could careless. I have a 2015 BMW X5d and 2014 Audi A6 TDI and I love the TDI engine better (more torque and power) vs the X5. However, the Audi is a great car and the quattro system is unbeatable in the snow with winter tires. Honestly most people are not going to notice that much of a difference with the emission set up that VW/Audi did. My 3.0TDI just needs a small reprogramming but there will be no change in the gas mileage. Few bad seeds at VW doesn't mean the entire company of VW or Audi is bad. I would not even bother making a big thing out of this. Heck GM is alot worse with the ignition recall and Toyota with the pedal stuck and Takata with the airbags compared to this small computer reprogramming cheat. Its not like its going to kill anyone...
I could not agree with you less. VW (and Audi) used a CHEAT DEVICE to knowingly break the law. A law set forth to protect the commons from what is shared. Toyota at el had vehicles with mistakes, something that differs completely by intent.

I'm glad you've enjoyed your TDI, but you did so in a vehicle that knowingly broke laws set forth to protect others. I don't blame you for VW's decisions, but choosing to de-vilify only helps to excuse them from their actions.
Appreciate 4
      12-24-2015, 01:19 AM   #5
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G05 45e, 997.1 & 991.1 GT3s

In the original report, it was a 2012 X5d that passed
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2015, 07:56 AM   #6
midlifecrisis
Major
Rep
Drives: 2017 X5 35d, 2019 230i X

I'm madder than hell at VW. They've jeopardized the future of diesel motor vehicles, not through mere ineptitude, but by purposeful criminal activity designed to circumvent the law. Takeda airbags, GM ignition, etc. were bad enough - but they didn't start as criminal deception.

I love modern diesel powertrains in family vehicles for their power delivery and efficiency, and those jerks in Wolfsburg may have set public perception back 25 years. Nice going.
2000 328i sedan (UUC suspension - still the favorite), 2006 M3 slick top - Alpine White/Cinnamon
SOLD! 2008 E90 M3 SOLD! 1991 325iX (both great), 2019 Miata RF - various others not as memorable but gone.
Appreciate 2
      12-24-2015, 02:12 PM   #7
F15GorDe
Well versed in the care and feeding of BMWs
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15d, F10

+1^
      12-25-2015, 06:01 PM   #8
Shaw
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5 35d | 2019 X3 30i

Garage List
I agree that the perception may have changed...but part of it has to do with what the policy makers have next in their agendas.
When the time is up for a trend or technology, no matter what happens or how good it has been, it will be wiped out sooner or later...
I think that although the perception of people on diesel may have slightly been dented following the actions by VW, however the market, need and industry suggests that diesel will still be around and with the back orders and high demand of diesel we are now seeing (X5 35d on back order) I believe The public perception will soon repair itself.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2015, 01:49 PM   #9
motex
2020 Mineral White 30d MSport
Costa Rica
Rep
Drives: 2020 Mineral White 30d MSport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbilramz View Post
I could not agree with you less. VW (and Audi) used a CHEAT DEVICE to knowingly break the law. A law set forth to protect the commons from what is shared. Toyota at el had vehicles with mistakes, something that differs completely by intent.

I'm glad you've enjoyed your TDI, but you did so in a vehicle that knowingly broke laws set forth to protect others. I don't blame you for VW's decisions, but choosing to de-vilify only helps to excuse them from their actions.
Had a Q7 3.0TDi for 5 years (wife's car), at the same time, I drove a 2008 X6 30d as my daily driver for 3 years, the turbo (variable geometry) technology used by BMW is way much better, it feels and behaves like a normally aspirated engine, Audi's turbo just explodes to full power making it very uncomfortable for driving on traffic, you just "jump"into the car in front of you, as for the torque... it dies pretty fast, is very lineal against BMW's (in my own opinion, I'm not technical guy or an expert mechanic)
      01-03-2016, 12:08 AM   #10
rexus300
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: car

Quote:
Originally Posted by motex View Post
Had a Q7 3.0TDi for 5 years (wife's car), at the same time, I drove a 2008 X6 30d as my daily driver for 3 years, the turbo (variable geometry) technology used by BMW is way much better, it feels and behaves like a normally aspirated engine, Audi's turbo just explodes to full power making it very uncomfortable for driving on traffic, you just "jump"into the car in front of you, as for the torque... it dies pretty fast, is very lineal against BMW's (in my own opinion, I'm not technical guy or an expert mechanic)
I have not noticed that on the 3.0TDI in my A6. The TDI feels a hell lot more powerful and quicker then the X5d that I have. The BMW diesel is a little "lazy" and has a lag that is not very reassuring compared to the quicker on demand TDI.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2016, 08:23 PM   #11
iconoclast
Self-Deprecating Narcissist
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Audi BMW Ferrari LR MB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaw View Post
Yes BMW passed right off the bat with flying colors...
Reason it was on hold was not only BMW but all other manufacturers were put on hold by government (EPA)...they all had to go through test and procedures to get new badges and approvals...
correctomundo. bmw was seaking a different/higher level of approval and rating and it delayed the 2016 diesel. it passed without any issues except delaying it's release.
Appreciate 0