BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

01-04-2016, 06:03 PM   #1
Scurrah
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 (F15) & 2024 X5 (G05)

Identify this rear sensor?

Does anyone know what this sensor is? It's mounted to the rear of the car between the bumper (or trailer hitch frame) and the car. It's a 2014 xDrive35i. Is it safe to mount something right close to it? Like a hitch wiring harness?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-04-2016, 10:45 PM   #2
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G09 XM, G05 X5 40, 991.2 T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scurrah
Does anyone know what this sensor is? It's mounted to the rear of the car between the bumper (or trailer hitch frame) and the car. It's a 2014 xDrive35i. Is it safe to mount something right close to it? Like a hitch wiring harness?
That's your comfort access sensor to detect your key to allow you to open the trunk.

That is safe to mount that hitch close by. Just don't get any wires cut.
Active Autowerke • KW • H&R • Ohlins • Remus • and more...
Appreciate 1
      01-04-2016, 11:56 PM   #3
Scurrah
Rep

Thank you!!!!
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2016, 07:59 AM   #4
Barbera335
Captain
Rep
Drives: F25

Quote:
Originally Posted by r33_RGSport View Post
That's your comfort access sensor to detect your key to allow you to open the trunk.

More accurately, it is a comfort access trigger. It does not detect the key. When you initiate the process by pressing the trunk release button this comfort access trigger sends out a command which wakes up all nearby keys. The keys then transmit their identifying signal back to the vehicle. This signal is picked up by the diversity antennae in the rear window and then is relayed to the BDC control unit which then processes the signal and executes the unlock request.
Appreciate 1
      01-05-2016, 09:14 AM   #5
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbera335
Quote:
Originally Posted by r33_RGSport View Post

More accurately, it is a comfort access trigger. It does not detect the key. When you initiate the process by pressing the trunk release button this comfort access trigger sends out a command which wakes up all nearby keys. The keys then transmit their identifying signal back to the vehicle. This signal is picked up by the diversity antennae in the rear window and then is relayed to the BDC control unit which then processes the signal and executes the unlock request.
Wow, even much more clearer.
Thank you.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2016, 01:53 PM   #6
motex
2020 Mineral White 30d MSport
Costa Rica
Rep
Drives: 2020 Mineral White 30d MSport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbera335 View Post
I recall in my former M4 just slide my foot under the rear bumper for a couple of seconds and then the trunk just open itself, no need to touch anything else, I understand that the main idea of the comfort access is to open the trunk "wirelessly" (if you can call it that way..) when both hands are busy?
I haven't try this on my F15 yet, will do some testing later on
      01-05-2016, 06:26 PM   #7
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by motex View Post
I recall in my former M4 just slide my foot under the rear bumper for a couple of seconds and then the trunk just open itself, no need to touch anything else, I understand that the main idea of the comfort access is to open the trunk "wirelessly" (if you can call it that way..) when both hands are busy?
I haven't try this on my F15 yet, will do some testing later on
That feature is not available on the F15 unfortunately. I been trying to retrofit it, but didn't have time or diagram needed to do the retrofit.
My guess, it is not available on the F15 since the sensor will be blocked when you have a tow hitch installed.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2016, 06:29 PM   #8
motex
2020 Mineral White 30d MSport
Costa Rica
Rep
Drives: 2020 Mineral White 30d MSport

Garage List
I will ask my dealer and post my findings
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2016, 09:15 PM   #9
42pilot
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 35d MSport

Quote:
Wholly crap.
      01-05-2016, 09:19 PM   #10
42pilot
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 35d MSport

Quote:
And a great explanation of the process. Thank you
      01-05-2016, 09:45 PM   #11
Scurrah
Rep

Pretty cool process too!

That's the Invisihitch that I just installed myself (scary as hell pulling that bumper cover off). It puts the 7-way wiring harness tight in between the hitch frame and that sensor/trigger. Seems too tight to me. But they're positive that it can go there. I was worried it was some kind of crash sensor that would going to blow my airbags if I ever slammed on the brakes while towing a big boat. Looks like I'm safe.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2016, 08:48 AM   #12
Kessler35is
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F15 50i, 2016 E89 35is

Garage List
2016 Z4 35is  [0.00]
2015 X5 50i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scurrah View Post
Pretty cool process too!

That's the Invisihitch that I just installed myself (scary as hell pulling that bumper cover off). It puts the 7-way wiring harness tight in between the hitch frame and that sensor/trigger. Seems too tight to me. But they're positive that it can go there. I was worried it was some kind of crash sensor that would going to blow my airbags if I ever slammed on the brakes while towing a big boat. Looks like I'm safe.
Airbag sensors are normally mounted in a central part of the auto, I have seen them mounted under the center console many times in vehicles.

This is the best spot so they can read all of the G-Force loads, also any X, Y, or Z axis movements of the vehicle. With this info the computer can determine if and which of the air bags to be set off will be of use or harm. The old days of just getting in a small bumper dent and getting a free facial reconstruction should be over.
Appreciate 1