nal13
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M3 xcomp/911 cab/RR LWB

Garage List
B  [0.00]
Advice on Purchase

Need some advice on an upcoming purchase. I have been pretty faithful to the BWM brand since the mid 2000's. Between me and my wife we have owned or leased five BMWs since 2007. Now in need of a full size SUV and unsure if the X5 is the right car for us. The lease on our 528 xdrive is coming to term and it will need to be replaced.

A little background:
We had our first child in early 2015 and until this holiday season we had no idea how badly we needed a full size SUV. Family = full size SUV vs. minivan and there will be no minivan in our future!!!

This past summer I traded in my 550 x drive for a Porsche 911 and I also bought a jeep Cherokee for the winter months. The jeep is about the size of an X3 and is great to run errands in but when you throw a child seat, luggage, and two dogs into it, there is literally no breathing room.
My wife really wants an X3 but I finally convinced her its just way to small. So now were in the market for a full size SUV.

I've driven the X5 and it drives really small, which is an excellent characteristic, for a car its size. However, there is so much competition out there right now and I'm wondering if its time to steer away from the BMW brand.

Also of note: Planning on buying and keeping the car for 4-5 years.

So here are my options:
1. Stick with BMW and buy a 7 seat X5. Other then a 550 buyback in early 2014 our other cars have been rock solid. I also love the fact that everything, with the exception of tires, is included for 50K miles.
2. Leave the BMW brand and get into either a Volvo XC90, Infiniti QX60, or Acura MDX. All slightly larger then the X5, and you do get more for your money from these other brands.
3. Sell the jeep and buy a full sized American SUV like the Explorer or Tahoe. Then lease a 328 or 340 x drive as our third car. This seems like the most costly and least likely of my three options. However, I have owned at least 1 BMW for the last 9 years and it would be hard to completely leave the brand.

Sorry to bore you all with my car problems but any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Nick
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2016, 03:52 PM   #2
AW2015M3
BMWaddict4life
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3

buy the X5 - dont even bother with the volvo or the acura

there is no alternative to the X5, as long as you have 1 kid and two dogs it will be fine

plus you have the 911 so you have your toy
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2016, 03:57 PM   #3
artem123
Captain
Rep
Drives: G30

Man... This is BMW forum and naturally you are getting advices to get X5, however, why not you just test drive "Volvo XC90, Infiniti QX60, or Acura MDX" and decide it for yourself. Acura will give you a boat like ride, QX is ugly ( if you ask me and also boring to drive), and XC90 with 4 cylinder heart is grossly underpowered.
      01-05-2016, 04:40 PM   #4
F15GorDe
Well versed in the care and feeding of BMWs
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15d, F10

+1^^^^
Getting as much seat time in the Volvo or the Infinity quickly makes clear the differences among the brands.

Not boring anyone here, that's what this forum is all about.

There are a good number of forum members in your area, attending one of the meetups they have started is another idea.

I spent quite a bit of time on this forum reading and then posing the occasional question before I was satisfied that I was making the right choice. More than 3 years later and 20k miles down the road I'm very pleased with my choice. The wife complains she doesn't get enough time behind the wheel of our X5, but she knows that as soon as we start traveling more she will. Her daily driver has been a 5 series for the last 8 years. Our E38 is even older and with well over 200k miles it continues to serve better than I had ever hoped. The point is that as long term BMW drivers we have certain expectations of our vehicles. The X5 adds nicely to that BMW feeling I've enjoyed with our E38 and E39, and I'm very confident that our F15 will last as long as the others in our family. Out here on the west coast there are quite a few of the older E53s and E70s, and everyone that I talk to would absolutely buy another one. We're not the only ones happy with our choice.
      01-05-2016, 05:16 PM   #5
gtmassive75
Captain
Rep
Drives: G05 X5,G20 M340,Infiniti Q50RS

My X5 is the 2nd BMW i have bought in 2.5yrs.. i have never driven any cars like the ride these BMW gives(both had upgraded suspension).
I was previous a Nissan guy.. and still have the 2014 Pathfinder, ride is soft and very spacious inside. You cant go wrong if you looking for space. I got the fully loaded Pathfinder Platinum for 40K out the door.

Go test drive it..

[IMG][/IMG]
2020 G05 MSport 40i--Phytonic Blue Metallic/Vernasca Coffee Leather/Multi Contour SeatsTrim/Executive Package/MSport Brakes/Icon Adaptive Led HeadlightsW/Laserlight/Harman Kardon/Heated Front Seats Armrests & Steering
Appreciate 0