BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

03-11-2017, 09:34 PM   #1
e46e92love
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 ///M3; X3 (wife's)

M-sport & DHP

We are building an X5 35d right now to replace our 2014 X35d coming to the end of its lease. Trying to get an exact handle on whether M-sport in this scenario has any affect on the suspension.

Is there different shocks / struts versus if you just got the DHP? I understand the different trans, steering wheel, aero, etc. What I cannot seem to get exact specs on is whether ride height or tubing of the EDC, shock, struts, air suspension in rear is any different from just getting the DHP.

THANK YOU IN ADVANCED!

Cheers,
e46e92

"...it's not about the money and not about the brand of the car, it's about handling,performance and passion......And that, no other car has all together like an M3........when you talk about the most complete car the M is invincible." --Tony Kanaan.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2017, 09:41 PM   #2
Roundown
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by e46e92love View Post
We are building an X5 35d right now to replace our 2014 X35d coming to the end of its lease. Trying to get an exact handle on whether M-sport in this scenario has any affect on the suspension.

Is there different shocks / struts versus if you just got the DHP? I understand the different trans, steering wheel, aero, etc. What I cannot seem to get exact specs on is whether ride height or tubing of the EDC, shock, struts, air suspension in rear is any different from just getting the DHP.

THANK YOU IN ADVANCED!

Cheers,
e46e92
You also get active roll stabilization (anti-roll bars wth dynamic/constantly changing torque) and torque vectoring. Dampening is only part of the equation.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2017, 10:11 PM   #3
e46e92love
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roundown View Post
Quote:

THANK YOU IN ADVANCED!

Cheers,
e46e92
You also get active roll stabilization (anti-roll bars wth dynamic/constantly changing torque) and torque vectoring. Dampening is only part of the equation.
Yes, I understand that. But what is clear: DHP offers EDC and ARS. But if you select DHP AND. M-sport is there additional suspension upgrades to EDC coding and suspension hardware over just the selecting DHP or once DHP is selected is M-sport simply just cosmetic and transmission (sport automatic) upgrade.

Cheers,
e46e92

"...it's not about the money and not about the brand of the car, it's about handling,performance and passion......And that, no other car has all together like an M3........when you talk about the most complete car the M is invincible." --Tony Kanaan.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2017, 11:15 PM   #4
Jenya B
Lieutenant
Russia
Rep
Drives: Z4 , X5 F15d Msport

i'am interested too cause i ordered x35d M with DHP
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2017, 01:19 AM   #5
Kzang
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35i Msport SG

Let's make it clear that in the USA when you spec out a Msport, you don't automatically get the sportier adaptive m suspension. But in Europe and Canada when you spec out the Msport, you do get the Adaptive m suspension. In the USA, you must click the $950 or whatever it cost these days option. DHP overrides adaptive m suspension and provides a much more in depth in handling, making your X5 comfortable as can be and as sporty as can be.
      03-12-2017, 04:28 AM   #6
tnikolov
Private First Class
Bulgaria
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 40d,Porsche 911 Turbo S

I have the ability to drive both - we have an M-Sport spec'd F15 in the office and my daily driver is a 40d DHP spec'd F15.

Go for the DHP if you want better handling and better ride for you and your passengers, and better cornering.. and basically better everything. M-Sport suspension is not enough by itself to make this big bulky truck handle and feel like a normal car on the road, whereas DHP overcomes a lot of those facts. It doesn't overcome the laws of physics, but basically your truck starts to feel much like a 5 series these days on a twisty road.

With that said - if you do not have a way of directly comparing them, you won't have an easy way to understand what you are missing with unticked DHP, cause actually M-Sport is good enough by itself. But if you ask me - I'd never get a BMW without DHP again
Retired - 2011 F10 550i xDrive
Appreciate 3
Jenya B144.00
barcelona268.50
F15GorDe261.00
      03-12-2017, 04:25 PM   #7
e46e92love
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

I think everyone is missing my question. I understand what DHP brings to the table (I have it on my current 2014 X5), and I understand what M-sport brings to the table WHEN THEY ARE ORDERED SEPARATELY. What no one seems to be able to define is whether when you order DHP AND M-sport is the m-sport part simply cosmetic at that point?

From a technical standpoint one could see that the EDC function in DHP is different than the EDC function in M-sport package when EDC is selected with the m-sport package.

So the question boils down to when you add M-sport on top of DHP is your handling different then if you just select DHP.

Cheers,
e46e92

Appreciate 0
      03-12-2017, 04:42 PM   #8
IvanLZ
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35i

Quote:
I think everyone is missing my question. I understand what DHP brings to the table (I have it on my current 2014 X5), and I understand what M-sport brings to the table WHEN THEY ARE ORDERED SEPARATELY. What no one seems to be able to define is whether when you order DHP AND M-sport is the m-sport part simply cosmetic at that point?

From a technical standpoint one could see that the EDC function in DHP is different than the EDC function in M-sport package when EDC is selected with the m-sport package.

So the question boils down to when you add M-sport on top of DHP is your handling different then if you just select DHP.

Cheers,
e46e92
M-sport is purely cosmetic unless you add the M-adaptive suspension. If you add DHP to a non M-sport it will perform the same as one with M-sport.
Appreciate 2
Jenya B144.00
barcelona268.50
      03-12-2017, 05:28 PM   #9
superdog
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 50i M Sport

My man to the east.

I've no idea. But what I can say definitively is that I've got the M suspension and DHP.

And I am amazed at how well it drives. I really had no idea how nice it was until I started driving it. Regularly.

Imho, if you are asking this question, you will regret it if you don't build it with both.

Just my $.02
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2017, 06:15 PM   #10
Dilmorecg
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 50i

I recently did all this research.

Dynamic Handling Package comes with 2 features:
- Dynamic Damper Control + Rear Axle Air Suspension
- Dynamic Performance Control + Active Roll Stabilization

The Adaptive M Suspension includes: Dynamic Damper Control + Rear Axle Air Suspension

So when you get DHP + Adaptive M its the same as just getting DHP as a standalone option. It costs the same. If you add Adaptive M the cost of DHP comes down to make it the same as DHP standalone.

So if you don't want the M sport package you can just get the DHP and it will handle the same as Adaptive M + DHP.

I have both and would definitely get the full DHP package.

Hope that helps!

Last edited by Dilmorecg; 03-13-2017 at 10:56 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2017, 11:19 PM   #11
Kzang
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dilmorecg View Post
I recently did all this research.

Dynamic Handling Package comes with 2 features:
- Dynamic Damper Control + Rear Axle Suspension
- Dynamic Performance Control + Active Roll Stabilization

The Adaptive M Suspension includes: Dynamic Damper Control + Rear Axle Suspension

So when you get DHP + Adaptive M its the same as just getting DHP as a standalone option. It costs the same. If you add Adaptive M the cost of DHP comes down to make it the same as DHP standalone.

So if you don't want the M sport package you can just get the DHP and it will handle the same as Adaptive M + DHP.

I have both and would definitely get the full DHP package.

Hope that helps!
This....

plus, yes Msport is cosmetic mostly but you do get a sports tune transmission as well that you do not get with a non Msport car. And according to some this can be coded though.
      03-13-2017, 03:00 PM   #12
tnikolov
Private First Class
Bulgaria
Rep

Yep, you cannot get DHP without M-Sport - when it comes to suspension.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2017, 04:08 PM   #13
bluenote98
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5 35i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnikolov View Post
Yep, you cannot get DHP without M-Sport - when it comes to suspension.
That might be the case in some parts of the world but not here in the states. You can most definitely get DHP on a non M-Sport F15. In the states you can not get a 3rd row equipped M-Sport F15 with DHP. I had to forgo M-Sport to get a 3rd Row F15 with DHP. You might be thinking of M-Adaptive suspension which requires M-Sport but DHP is more than M-Adaptive suspension. DHP on a non-Msport F15 uses DDC (Dynamic Damper Control) instead of M-Adaptive suspension. M-Adaptive Suspension is a tuned version of DDC. Bottom line you can get DHP without M-Sport.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2017, 09:21 PM   #14
e46e92love
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

The updated website no longer allows ANY selections of M-adaptive suspension when you choose DHP then the M-sport package. The only it let's you choose is sports seats or not which is also frozen out if you have already chosen the Luxury Seating package.

Cheers,
e46e92

Appreciate 0
      03-14-2017, 06:19 AM   #15
tnikolov
Private First Class
Bulgaria
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluenote98 View Post
That might be the case in some parts of the world but not here in the states. You can most definitely get DHP on a non M-Sport F15. In the states you can not get a 3rd row equipped M-Sport F15 with DHP. I had to forgo M-Sport to get a 3rd Row F15 with DHP. You might be thinking of M-Adaptive suspension which requires M-Sport but DHP is more than M-Adaptive suspension. DHP on a non-Msport F15 uses DDC (Dynamic Damper Control) instead of M-Adaptive suspension. M-Adaptive Suspension is a tuned version of DDC. Bottom line you can get DHP without M-Sport.
According to my dealer, by getting DHP, you also get M-Sport (Adaptive) suspension - whether you like it or not. It's not advertised, but it is there. Even in Europe you can spec a non-M-sport vehicle with DHP. Which would still get the M-Sport Suspension.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2017, 09:51 AM   #16
bluenote98
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5 35i

Garage List
Quote:
The updated website no longer allows ANY selections of M-adaptive suspension when you choose DHP then the M-sport package. The only it let's you choose is sports seats or not which is also frozen out if you have already chosen the Luxury Seating package.

Cheers,
e46e92
M-Adaptive is now a sub-option of the m-sport package. It's only listed in the msport option. The old website allowed you to chose it separately.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2017, 05:14 AM   #17
e46e92love
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Thanks everyone for all the feedback and info. Turns out the old site would allow you to select options within the packages on the same page, now additional suspension options embedded in the packages is actually selectable on the next "options" page under "performance options". Actually a better way to set it up but kept viewing it in terms of what the setup on the site used to be (if that makes sense).

Could have relied on dealer but hate doing that and wanted to make sure I understood every detail before ordering.

She is on order, build sheet not in front of me, but will come back and respond later if anyone cares....and yes I got Msport and DHP (only had DHP on my 2014).

Cheers,
e46e92

Appreciate 0
      03-16-2017, 05:43 AM   #18
superdog
Private First Class
Rep

^^

Congrats.

Imho, the combo of those two turn a great car into a really attractive driving animal.

I swear, I feel like mine drives better, and handles turns better than my recently sold GT350.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2017, 08:43 AM   #19
e46e92love
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by superdog View Post
^^

Congrats.

Imho, the combo of those two turn a great car into a really attractive driving animal.

I swear, I feel like mine drives better, and handles turns better than my recently sold GT350.
I agree....X5+ diesel+DHP+Msport = TOTAL WIN.

Appreciate 0
      03-16-2017, 10:10 AM   #20
Jenya B
Lieutenant
Russia
Rep
Drives: Z4 , X5 F15d Msport

Quote:
I agree....X5+ diesel+DHP+Msport = TOTAL WIN.
thats what in my order

Last edited by Jenya B; 03-16-2017 at 10:15 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2017, 12:48 PM   #21
Kzang
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by superdog View Post
^^

Congrats.

Mustang GT350?
      03-16-2017, 01:36 PM   #22
superdog
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kzang View Post
Mustang GT350?
Correct sir.
Appreciate 0