BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW X5 and X6 Forum (F15/F16) > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

03-22-2018, 10:19 AM   #1
bimmer456
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i

Don't want Facebook sharing your data? Don't use Facebook

As the title says. Not sure why everybody loves Facebook, the whole concept seems incredibly creepy to me giving all your data to big brother to do whatever he wished.
Appreciate 8
King Rudi13152.00
Dang3r12503.00
RABAUKE4653.00
Soul_Glo13282.50
DieselOG1673.50
m5james429.00
      03-22-2018, 10:27 AM   #2
Nuckle
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 Defender X

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmer456 View Post
As the title says. Not sure why everybody loves Facebook, the whole concept seems incredibly creepy to me giving all your data to big brother to do whatever he wished.
I gave them the boot about 7 months ago and removed all social media platforms like them. It has been a refreshing change.
Appreciate 4
bimmer4562938.00
King Rudi13152.00
P111541.50
      03-22-2018, 10:35 AM   #3
jgoens
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i msport

I find Facebook to not be as entertaining as BP, but I still maintain that it is a good platform to keep in touch with friends and family who are distances away. I don't spend that much time on it as it is somewhat boring--about 10 minutes a day as opposed to 10 hours on BP.
      03-22-2018, 10:35 AM   #4
Kolyan2k
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2006 S2000

What data are we talking about? Big brother always has all the data regardless if you use Facebook or not.
I don't love Facebook, and was thinking of deleting my account, but I guess it's nice to get some news from there and be able to see what your "friends" are up to, I don't post much. Another thing is that I get private msgs and group chats there
Appreciate 1
      03-22-2018, 10:45 AM   #5
wdb
dances with roads
Rep
Drives: '07 E86, '02 996, '95 Seven

I'm still stuck at BBS.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2018, 11:11 AM   #6
MightyMouseTech
Major General
Rep
Drives: 13 135i 6MT LeMans Blue MSport

Life is much better when you delete your FB account.
Appreciate 4
King Rudi13152.00
MKSixer34171.50
P111541.50
      03-22-2018, 11:16 AM   #7
bimmer456
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Incontinentia Buttocks View Post
Quote:
All your data? Bloody hell, what have you been sharing?
Nothing I've never used Facebook.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2018, 11:27 AM   #8
CTinline-six
Hoonigan
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 328i, '98 Wrangler

Garage List
Facebook not only sells your information, but it is a sanctuary for predators and criminals.

A friend of mine works as a detective at a university police department, he says Facebook party invites are a device used for many sexual assaults. Predators will see who is attending, do a little research on them, and pick their targets. It is also a great way to let people looking to break into your house know that you are leaving for a week on vacation. Good thing you took pictures of all the nice cars and stuff you have so they know where to find it...

-Dr. Ian Malcolm, Jurassic Park
Appreciate 4
King Rudi13152.00
RABAUKE4653.00
P111541.50
m5james429.00
      03-22-2018, 11:45 AM   #9
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Meat Suit

Facebook is the devil. I watched a video not too long ago that was an interview with one of the original creators. He was quoted in stating that they knew what they were doing was wrong. They played off of basic human instinct of dopamine boosts in order to generate revenue. Everyone has a basic need to feel wanted/needed and facebook fills this void. Unfortunately social media in general has created this mentality that it is socially acceptable to walk around taking pictures of yourself, your food and everything else that no one gives a shit about so it can be posted and liked by your fake friends, all for a slight dopamine boost all to feel accepted, wanted and appreciated.

Honestly Facebook isn't the problem, people are the problem. Facebook is simply a platform and as Daniel Tosh stated a megaphone for idiots. I still have my Instagram account but I shut down Facebook last year and honestly it's amazing at how much simpler my life has become; less distractions, etc. I still have my Facebook messenger account but I hate to use it as it seems like a hive of social media vampires waiting to attack as soon as they see you are active. I have a friend that sends me funny videos via messenger but every damn time I watch one, I instantly get a bunch of messages from people who have nothing better to do with their lives.

Facebook is great is you are a: cheater, a stalker, a predator, a thief, a dumb ass, creator of bullshit news stories/click-bait or a small business whose only goal is to annoy you by trying to use social media as advertising. I really hate this generation and the technology that fuels all the sheep.
Appreciate 7
Law6377.00
TrevorM33317.50
P111541.50
m5james429.00
      03-22-2018, 12:14 PM   #10
CTinline-six
Hoonigan
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 328i, '98 Wrangler

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just_Jody View Post
Facebook is the devil. I watched a video not too long ago that was an interview with one of the original creators. He was quoted in stating that they knew what they were doing was wrong. They played off of basic human instinct of dopamine boosts in order to generate revenue. Everyone has a basic need to feel wanted/needed and facebook fills this void. Unfortunately social media in general has created this mentality that it is socially acceptable to walk around taking pictures of yourself, your food and everything else that no one gives a shit about so it can be posted and liked by your fake friends, all for a slight dopamine boost all to feel accepted, wanted and appreciated.

Honestly Facebook isn't the problem, people are the problem. Facebook is simply a platform and as Daniel Tosh stated a megaphone for idiots. I still have my Instagram account but I shut down Facebook last year and honestly it's amazing at how much simpler my life has become; less distractions, etc. I still have my Facebook messenger account but I hate to use it as it seems like a hive of social media vampires waiting to attack as soon as they see you are active. I have a friend that sends me funny videos via messenger but every damn time I watch one, I instantly get a bunch of messages from people who have nothing better to do with their lives.

Facebook is great is you are a: cheater, a stalker, a predator, a thief, a dumb ass, creator of bullshit news stories/click-bait or a small business whose only goal is to annoy you by trying to use social media as advertising. I really hate this generation and the technology that fuels all the sheep.
Absolutely right. I was just starting college as Facebook was getting very popular, and I had MySpace in high school.

I deleted my Facebook in college after 1 year, and re-activated it a year ago while just limiting my friends to family or relatives that live far away. I took a college class (psychology) that did a study on social media and it was very interesting. The things people would do for validation were crazy. A lot of it transfers over to places like here (online forums) and dating sites.

I remember doing an experiment for that course where we partnered with the mental health clinic on campus and anonymously surveyed people asking if they had dating site accounts and what they saw as a benefit. Many people felt lonely and were just looking for physical contact or relationships but a lot of people were seeking validation. It was very common to see people who were mainly looking to see how many people would match or "wink" at them on these sites, but never follow up.

In college I'd go to bars/parties with a few friends and when chatting with a girl the topic of Facebook would always come up. They would ask for you to add them as a friend. Many do this so they can find out more info about you, who you are friends with, etc. When I told them I didn't have a Facebook, one of two things would happen. The first being they would think it is creepy, and were turned off since they weren't able to instantly access a bunch of info about me, but that rarely happened. Usually it came off as being mysterious/unknown which they found attractive, oddly enough. Instagram was not really a thing back then, and now they ask for that, since both parties can now have access to hundreds of pictures of the other person.

-Dr. Ian Malcolm, Jurassic Park
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2018, 12:24 PM   #11
Banana Hammock
Beefcake
Rep
Drives: NA

People share things on social media and expect it to be private and expect that they can delete it. LOL.

Hold on let me redirect them to Santa so he can laugh at them too.
Appreciate 4
bimmer4562938.00
Lups11819.50
RABAUKE4653.00
      03-22-2018, 12:31 PM   #12
MrRoboto
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: VO 1M

Quote:
Agreed. I find it funny that their is such a hatred for 'mainstream media' these days, when social media..facebok, twitter, etc is the real problem.
Appreciate 3
King Rudi13152.00
tuco44644.00
GERMAN M34176.50
      03-22-2018, 12:39 PM   #13
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTinline-six View Post
Absolutely right. I was just starting college as Facebook was getting very popular, and I had MySpace in high school.

I deleted my Facebook in college after 1 year, and re-activated it a year ago while just limiting my friends to family or relatives that live far away. I took a college class (psychology) that did a study on social media and it was very interesting. The things people would do for validation were crazy. A lot of it transfers over to places like here (online forums) and dating sites.

I remember doing an experiment for that course where we partnered with the mental health clinic on campus and anonymously surveyed people asking if they had dating site accounts and what they saw as a benefit. Many people felt lonely and were just looking for physical contact or relationships but a lot of people were seeking validation. It was very common to see people who were mainly looking to see how many people would match or "wink" at them on these sites, but never follow up.

In college I'd go to bars/parties with a few friends and when chatting with a girl the topic of Facebook would always come up. They would ask for you to add them as a friend. Many do this so they can find out more info about you, who you are friends with, etc. When I told them I didn't have a Facebook, one of two things would happen. The first being they would think it is creepy, and were turned off since they weren't able to instantly access a bunch of info about me, but that rarely happened. Usually it came off as being mysterious/unknown which they found attractive, oddly enough. Instagram was not really a thing back then, and now they ask for that, since both parties can now have access to hundreds of pictures of the other person.
Funny how one becomes an instant outcast when you don't follow the herd of sheep. Almost like being made fun of for being the only person who doesn't pee in a pool. I know people that have many different facebook accounts just in case they get banned......ridiculous! I simply don't need to see click-bait, basic-bish selfies with Starbucks cups and people's dirty laundry that badly.

I'm sure the psyche class experiment with social media was very interesting. I've read several findings stating that social media is destroying our generation. The basic skill of communication has gone wayward due to this. I was amazed at the number of candidates that I have interviewed in the past that simply had no communication or social skills. Some of the things I have seen on resume's left me feeling as there is no hope. We are living in the age of Idocracy. Apparently Mike Judge is a fortune teller.
Appreciate 1
bimmer4562938.00
      03-22-2018, 12:53 PM   #14
FriedPiston
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Scraper

Not sure why this is even news to everyone now. Any and every serious company, including my very own employer, will have their own data mining algorithm. This is done through web data, desktop applications, and most especially mobile applications.

Just ask your local data scientist if you want to take a glimpse of what kind of information is being collected. Of course, certain personal information are filtered out from the raw data, but not all companies have this kind of practice, commonly companies that collect data with the intent to resell information to 3rd party companies.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2018, 12:54 PM   #15
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

Quote:
the only person who doesn't pee in a pool.
The evidence before the court is
Incontrivertable, there's no need for
The jury to retire.
In all my years of judging
I have never heard before
Of someone more deserving
Of the full penaltie of law.

banned
Appreciate 2
      03-22-2018, 01:02 PM   #16
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Hoping you aren't filled with the urge to defecate.

This will not do........CALL THE SCHOOLMASTER!

Duuuude....you're always banning my ass!
Appreciate 1
Lups11819.50
      03-22-2018, 01:34 PM   #17
Poiseuille
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4 DCT Tanzanite/Amaro

Garage List
  [0.00]
  [10.00]
Now it all makes sense: Mark Zuckerberg is really Eddie Haskell.

" that's a really lovely dress you have on today Mrs. Cleaver"
Appreciate 1
CSBM52695.50
      03-22-2018, 02:07 PM   #18
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Appreciate 0
      03-22-2018, 02:44 PM   #19
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

Quote:
Hoping you aren't filled with the urge to defecate.

This will not do........CALL THE SCHOOLMASTER!

Duuuude....you're always banning my ass!
When ur rep points reach OG level you will understand
      03-22-2018, 02:49 PM   #20
Mardio
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 X5

I'm not one to use Facebook in the typical fashion. In 2007 I set up a fakebook account and used it to join groups that I found beneficial. Some of these groups have been fantastic and really helpful, like the quit smoking page or my local hiking group. My amateur soccer team uses a page to keep track of what players can or can't make the games. I also belong to a photography group where I have learned a lot and have met great people. My point being it's not all bad, it depends on how you use it.
Appreciate 4
King Rudi13152.00
ASAP10048.00
wdb4673.00
      03-22-2018, 02:58 PM   #21
Hawkeye
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4 Coupe, '21 X3, '16 GMC

Garage List
I would delete it if I could remember people's birthdays and they would set up parties on something else...
2021 BMW x30i • Phytonic Blue Metallic • Fully loaded
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2018, 03:03 PM   #22
tuco44
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive M Perf Edtn

Never used FB and never will. I have an aversion to putting my personal data on such websites. Not surprised that there is now this huge issue w privacy....
MrRoboto1837.50
bimmer4562938.00
GERMAN M34176.50
Sassicaia4452.00