BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW X5 and X6 Forum (F15/F16) > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

03-24-2018, 08:05 AM   #45
RnmEvo9
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

I'm 34 and never had any social media to begin with (not even MySpace when it debuted). If I want to get in contact with a particular person, I'll call them up or vice versa if they want to get in contact with me.
Appreciate 3
GERMAN M34181.00
bimmer4562950.00
P111557.00
      03-24-2018, 08:37 AM   #46
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

Same this is my only source of social media. Think those mainstream ones are stupid as fuck.
Appreciate 2
GERMAN M34181.00
bimmer4562950.00
      03-25-2018, 10:14 PM   #47
bimmer456
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MOREMOD View Post
Same this is my only source of social media. Think those mainstream ones are stupid as fuck.
Same here. I socialize in person and maybe text but mainly just to determine where we will meet up.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2018, 08:52 AM   #48
EL Jeffe 5
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: CBR1000RR

I stop using FB 6 years ago
      03-26-2018, 09:42 AM   #49
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

The fact that people still use Facebook in 2018 is absolutely mind boggling.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2018, 10:13 AM   #50
JimVonBaden
BMW Cool Aide!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 128i Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by pasghetti View Post
People share things on social media and expect it to be private and expect that they can delete it. LOL.

Hold on let me redirect them to Santa so he can laugh at them too.
I wonder how people can bash FB so casually, on yet another social network forum that is 100% public?

Only fools think that they can avoid sharing their data, or delete it, if they are online at all. Hell, even if you are not online your data is.
      03-26-2018, 10:24 AM   #51
uniqueMR
Colonel
Rep
Drives: ...

Privacy? What privacy
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2018, 10:52 AM   #52
ASAP
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 M40i

Privacy went out the window the moment the digital age came... then the patriot act came, then social media came... then snowdens leaks came... everything is stored in databases, police records, driver licenses, google searches etc etc... if u like privacy in today's age, there are good deals on cabins in the woods... otherwise don't waste your time. oh yeah, u wint able to drive, have health insurance, can only spend cash, cant have a bank account nor a computer w internet...
      03-26-2018, 10:55 AM   #53
ASAP
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 M40i

oh yeah, i forgot... not really sure what kind of job you would have either... maybe log cabin builder or lumberjack
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2018, 03:25 PM   #54
Maestro
Major
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Sedan, 2021 X3

I never bought into Facebook, never had an account.

Now I owned their stock and made a lot of money, sold it all when the shit hit the fan on this whole thing. This seems to be worse than the fact they took money from the Russian to place political ads. I guess people do not like their own information being used against them and made them vote for Trump. I tend to invest in what I know and FB made no sense to me, but I figured if people were stupid enough to give away their information for free why shouldn't I make some money off it.

First never understand why people care so much what everyone was doing and had to share when they were about to take dump. When it first came popular with adults I began hearing about people looks up old high school sweetheart and tried to hook up again, at this point I knew nothing good would come of it. The only present I have on the web is the shit I share here and another site I belong to so share common interests.

Speaking of hooking up with FB, my sister-in-law husband died recently, and she advertise his death in the home town newspaper where she and he husband grew up, no soon did it show up in the local paper some guy she once dates in high school prior to her husband tried getting her to go out with him again. She had to end up blocking him, he turned real creepy.

Last edited by Maestro; 03-27-2018 at 03:36 PM..
Appreciate 1
bimmer4562950.00
      03-28-2018, 09:07 AM   #55
JimVonBaden
BMW Cool Aide!
United_States
Rep

FB, like forums, are what you make of them. Add a bunch of drama, or act like a fool, and you get what you give. It really is that simple. As for your data, forget it. It is already out there and nothing on FB is worse than what if freely available elsewhere.
      03-28-2018, 09:45 AM   #56
Maestro
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden View Post
FB, like forums, are what you make of them. Add a bunch of drama, or act like a fool, and you get what you give. It really is that simple. As for your data, forget it. It is already out there and nothing on FB is worse than what if freely available elsewhere.

Actually, not true. I will give you one example, companies do background checks on people which is publically available information. However, companies will also check people Facebook accounts and more time than not people do not get jobs because of things they and other posted on Facebook about their activities. My wife works in the recruiting industry and this is common practice these days. Facebook knows more about you than any other source these days and it knows things which future employers want to know about you and whether you do things which they do not like.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2018, 12:27 PM   #57
JimVonBaden
BMW Cool Aide!
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maestro View Post
Actually, not true. I will give you one example, companies do background checks on people which is publically available information. However, companies will also check people Facebook accounts and more time than not people do not get jobs because of things they and other posted on Facebook about their activities. My wife works in the recruiting industry and this is common practice these days. Facebook knows more about you than any other source these days and it knows things which future employers want to know about you and whether you do things which they do not like.
You just gave a perfect example of posting crap. No one forces you to post anything on FB, nor do they force you to read or react to anything. If you are a drama queen, then you probably should not be hired by companies worried about that, as well as morons who post work details on an open forum.

Again, you get from it what you put into it, same as any other social media. Have you seen the crap people post here? You think companies will not find it? Lastly, who uses their real name on FB?
      03-29-2018, 09:33 AM   #58
maxvegas
Canada
Rep
Drives: 06 BMW 530xi

Don't you agree in the ToS when signing up that they may use your data anyway? Or am I missing something here
Appreciate 1
      03-31-2018, 06:47 PM   #59
Maestro
Major
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
You just gave a perfect example of posting crap. No one forces you to post anything on FB, nor do they force you to read or react to anything. If you are a drama queen, then you probably should not be hired by companies worried about that, as well as morons who post work details on an open forum.

Again, you get from it what you put into it, same as any other social media. Have you seen the crap people post here? You think companies will not find it? Lastly, who uses their real name on FB?
Again, not 100% true, here is another real world example, this did not happen to me since I do not have amount, but happen to my sister-in-law. A friend of hers took a picture of her doing something she did not really want others seeing. Then posted the picture to Facebook and it tagged my sister-in-law in the picture then it showed up to everyone which was linked to my sister-in-law. Even though her account was marked as private, people who did not have their account marked as private this pictured was visible to everyone because she was not the one who actually posted it. People she worked with saw it and brought it to her attention. She then had to get that person to pull down picture.

So it is not always what you posted, it could be others who are posting stuff about you. Also it should not matter what you do in your private life, but companies are not looking at what you do outside of work and deciding to hire you based on what you and others post.
Appreciate 1
wdb4713.50
      04-01-2018, 04:32 PM   #60
JimVonBaden
BMW Cool Aide!
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Again, not 100% true, here is another real world example, this did not happen to me since I do not have amount, but happen to my sister-in-law. A friend of hers took a picture of her doing something she did not really want others seeing. Then posted the picture to Facebook and it tagged my sister-in-law in the picture then it showed up to everyone which was linked to my sister-in-law. Even though her account was marked as private, people who did not have their account marked as private this pictured was visible to everyone because she was not the one who actually posted it. People she worked with saw it and brought it to her attention. She then had to get that person to pull down picture.

So it is not always what you posted, it could be others who are posting stuff about you. Also it should not matter what you do in your private life, but companies are not looking at what you do outside of work and deciding to hire you based on what you and others post.
First, stories that are not first hand mean nothing. Second, if you don't want your shit online, don't let people take photos of you doing stupid things. Lastly, if you do stupid things, expect others to photo/film post it. This is the way of the world. Too bad if you don't like it, it doesn't change the fact that companies are doing what they feel they need to to protect themselves from idiots. Believe all you like about what should or shouldn't be, but it is a fact of modern life.

Oh, and again, post on any forum or, to a friend, or FB, or anywhere online, stupid crap you do, and do not be surprised if it shows up online, and your prospective employers sees it.
      04-02-2018, 09:24 AM   #61
Maestro
Major
Rep

Quote:
First, stories that are not first hand mean nothing. Second, if you don't want your shit online, don't let people take photos of you doing stupid things. Lastly, if you do stupid things, expect others to photo/film post it. This is the way of the world. Too bad if you don't like it, it doesn't change the fact that companies are doing what they feel they need to to protect themselves from idiots. Believe all you like about what should or shouldn't be, but it is a fact of modern life.

Oh, and again, post on any forum or, to a friend, or FB, or anywhere online, stupid crap you do, and do not be surprised if it shows up online, and your prospective employers sees it.
Yes, this is the advise I gave my kids before this all started, I told them if they are doing something they should not, and someone pulls out a camera you better get the hell out of there because it will not end well. As I told my kids, yes I did dumb things at their age, but there is no evidences it ever happen and lucky for me my friends have really bad memory so I have plausible deniability. Today this not always true, everyone is taking pictures.

I double anyone will find any of my forum posts, there is no connection to these forums and who I am.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2018, 06:18 PM   #62
JimVonBaden
BMW Cool Aide!
United_States
Rep

Quote:

I double anyone will find any of my forum posts, there is no connection to these forums and who I am.
Don't be so sure about that. License plate numbers, car with a background photo, someone knowing your name and posting it innocently. Even your IP address is easily found by anyone looking, then traced to your online activities. It is a scary world for those looking to do harm, or find those who have done harm.