11-10-2013, 09:21 PM   #1
NikonMan
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 X5M Azurite on Nutmeg

BMW parts backorder for 2014 x5's

All,

For those with pending builds, this is the email I received today from my dealer - my build is on delay until January for this reason:

"We have quite a few issues with parts delays on that car, that's why yours is scheduled for a January build instead of december. See below for the list of parts delaying them (yours has 2 of them)

X5 sDr35i, X5 xDr35i and X5 xDr50i – Update

For November and December production, the following content is restricted:

Option 2PW - 20" M Light Alloy Double Spoke Wheels

Option 4M5 - Nappa Leather Dashboard

Option 3AG – Rear-View Camera

Option 5DL - Surround View Camera / ZDB – Driver Assistance Plus

NAMY – Mocha Nappa Leather

NAEX – Ivory White Nappa Leather

All orders with this content are being pushed out to January 2014 production. If your customers wish to remove these options, we will pull the order back into November or December production."
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2013, 09:27 PM   #2
chrisny
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 40i

If this is true, my car shopping begins again tomorrow. This is pathetic. They couldn't anticipate the number of back-up cameras they would need??? How can a company this good at engineering be this pathetic at logistics and sourcing reliable vendors?
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2013, 09:37 PM   #3
AndreyATC
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 Tesla Model X P90DL

Garage List
+1
Can you even get X5 with no rear cam?
Or should you have no cam in the back

I can understand these 20s, but camera
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2013, 09:41 PM   #4
rraghu75
Rep
Drives: BMW 535 xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisny View Post
If this is true, my car shopping begins again tomorrow. This is pathetic. They couldn't anticipate the number of back-up cameras they would need??? How can a company this good at engineering be this pathetic at logistics and sourcing reliable vendors?
I am in the same situation as yours - this is absolutely pathetic to say the least. Also not sure if these cameras are so unique to X5's and how they can't manage their supply chain.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2013, 09:45 PM   #5
NikonMan
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yup very annoying - its a supply chain issue according to my CA. I suspect that cost accounting principles (e.g. "just in time manufacturing") at BMW dictates that they only order certain parts in sufficient quantity vis-a-vis their predicted volume of custom builds.

BMW stock took a dump last quarter (4%) - so BMW corporate folks are containing cost as much as possible ... "BMW, the world’s largest maker of luxury vehicles, slid the most in two months as profit declined."

I suspect the SC factory is milling out volumes of "lightly equipped" "lease prospect" 6 cylinder models daily, but for those of us in the "higher cost equipment" custom echelons, the parts supply chain from the 30 or so sub-vendors (i.e. cameras (don't forget the backup camera is optional across all X5's), Nappa, 20" rims, etc.) are causing delays.

Its all about getting as many of these X5's as they can to showrooms as fast as possible to make numbers.

Last edited by NikonMan; 11-10-2013 at 09:54 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2013, 09:53 PM   #6
chrisny
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Seriously, I could hit the land rover dealership with a football from my BMW dealership. Tomorrow, I may have to make a visit
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2013, 09:56 PM   #7
gblansten
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 23 Tesla S Plaid

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikonMan View Post
Yup very annoying - its a supply chain issue according to my CA. I suspect that cost accounting principles (e.g. "just in time manufacturing") at BMW dictates that they only order certain parts in sufficient quantity vis-a-vis their predicted volume of custom builds.

BMW stock took a dump last quarter (4%) - so BMW corporate folks are containing cost as much as possible ... "BMW, the world’s largest maker of luxury vehicles, slid the most in two months as profit declined."

I suspect the SC factory is milling out volumes of "lightly equipped" "lease prospect" 6 cylinder models daily, but for those of us in the "higher cost equipment" custom echelons, the parts supply chain from the 30 or so sub-vendors (i.e. cameras (don't forget the backup camera is optional across all X5's), Nappa, 20" rims, etc.) are causing delays.

Its all about getting as many of these X5's as they can to showrooms as fast as possible to make numbers.
Rear camera with top view is standard on the X5 50i.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2013, 09:57 PM   #8
gblansten
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Seriously, I could hit the land rover dealership with a football from my BMW dealership. Tomorrow, I may have to make a visit
Six month wait on the new RRS.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2013, 10:09 PM   #9
likecarz
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 650i xDrive Convertible

Being in Supply Chain myself (not BMW), I can tell you some heads are going to roll. BMW will have a hard time making Q4 with these type of build shortages. Somebody in Spartenburg will be sacrificed from Munich!

I have the following build going to my SA tomorrow for $74,300 (buying at $1k over invoice less $1k loyalty ..Net $68,515. He told me Dec delivery.
If I get pushed to Jan, I'm buying a nicely loaded Mercedes Benz GL450 right next door.

BASE MSRP
$55,100
M Sport$4,600
Carbon Black Metallic$550
Ivory White and Black Dakota Leather$0
Aluminum Trim$0
Cold Weather Pack$550
Driver Assistance Plus$1,900
• Driver Assistance Package$1,400
• ACC Stop & Go + Active Driving Assistant$1,200
Lighting Package$1,900
20" M Light alloy Double Spoke wheels style 469M-with performance run-flat tires$950
Premium Pack$2,700
4-zone automatic climate control$500
Ceramic Controls$650
Comfort Rear Seats$500
Harman Kardon surround sound system$875
Destination & Handling:$925
MSRP $74,300
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2013, 10:14 PM   #10
chrisny
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gblansten
Quote:
Six month wait on the new RRS.
I can wait, just not for people that jerk me around.. In all likelihood, I'll cool off (or my CA will tell me I just made the cut somehow) and wait for the X5. We have time... But if our car is delayed, it will open the door for some shopping I never bothered to do because we knew we wanted the X5.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2013, 10:17 PM   #11
NikonMan
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Just an FYI:

I checked out the '14 RRS two weeks ago at the local Rover dealership - for anything remotely resembling a custom build, the estimated wait was 6 months minimum.

I test drove a supercharged V6 "Autobiography" model - unbelievable amount of customization is available - fantastic, rich color and design options - beautiful interiors, hard core off road ability (if that's your thing, etc.) .. and a crappy Nav/screen display that a Honda Accord surpasses (mostly) .... my take away is that its even more overpriced than the X5 and for the cost of entry, the V8 should be standard.

The SC V6 moved, but nowhere near the performance of the TTV8 on the X5.

Certainly a beautiful vehicle in traditional Rover British (now Indian) tradition, but overpriced, over optioned, and certainly a "form over function" affair. This, along with Rover's historic horrible build quality issues, moved me along to the BMW.

My .02 cents
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2013, 10:20 PM   #12
chrisny
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Truthfully, I doubt I'll ever buy a Rover for the issues you mentioned. Just pissed off right now lol.

A Touareg, Cayenne, or Q7 on the other hand, I would. But they don't lease as well so probably will just wait for the damn car I actually want.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2013, 10:22 PM   #13
gblansten
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Truthfully, I doubt I'll ever buy a Rover for the issues you mentioned. Just pissed off right now lol.

A Touareg, Cayenne, or Q7 on the other hand, I would. But they don't lease as well so probably will just wait for the damn car I actually want.
It would be hard to pass up the TTV8 in the X5 at its price point.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2013, 10:47 PM   #14
NikonMan
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I also looked at the Audi Q7 - great interior, mediocre engines (especially compared to BMW's F15 TTV8 monster mill), and a 5+ year old dated design that begs for a re-design ... I moved along once again the to X5. The Audi Navigation with Google Maps is, however, very very nice.

Last edited by NikonMan; 11-10-2013 at 11:40 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2013, 10:49 PM   #15
NikonMan
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gblansten View Post
It would be hard to pass up the TTV8 in the X5 at its price point.
BMW's F15 TTV8, is, in my opinion, the finest engineered performance gas engine currently produced in a commonly available production vehicle anywhere on the planet. It is without equal. For that reason alone, I'll deal with the delays :-)

Last edited by NikonMan; 11-10-2013 at 11:12 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2013, 11:00 PM   #16
NikonMan
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
This is true so I take that back.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2013, 11:10 PM   #17
chrisny
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikonMan
Quote:
This is true so I take that back.
So this delay would have to include ALL 50i's at then. Zero production of 50i's from now until January. How many people this day and age can possibly be buying a luxury SUV without a back-up camera? Even if you add the X3, at least half must be buying with cameras. X6? Come on.., So the factory will just operate at 30% capacity or something ridiculous for 2 months when they're trying to gain market share, pressuring dealers to pump out record volumes? This can't be....
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2013, 11:32 PM   #18
NikonMan
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
So this delay would have to include ALL 50i's at then. Zero production of 50i's from now until January. How many people this day and age can possibly be buying a luxury SUV without a back-up camera? Even if you add the X3, at least half must be buying with cameras. X6? Come on.., So the factory will just operate at 30% capacity or something ridiculous for 2 months when they're trying to gain market share, pressuring dealers to pump out record volumes? This can't be....
I know right? It should be standard on all X5's, period. I guess someone at BMW couldn't resist the urge of "upselling" bundled option packages based on a what is a commodity feature on 80% of all new vehicles, never mind $60K + BMW's.

Since there is nothing we can do about it (save cancelling orders), I'm just dealing with the stupidity until mine is ready (probably February 2014).
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2013, 05:56 AM   #19
barcelona
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: X

The Aug 2 Canadian Bulletin state: " Nappa leather with interior components will not be available on any additional X5 Orders for October and November production. Availability for December will be confirmed at a later date. Currently placed orders will be unaffected with this change unless we contact you directly regarding your specific unit. " Then.... there was 6 or 7 other items discussed, no camera mentioned (no pun intended).

NikonMan is correct as this Nappa issue affected Canada starting Oct as communicated on Aug 2.

Chrisny, keep your fingers crossed as I quoted above, current orders unaffected.... unless we contact you directly... ( hopefully for you no notifications).

Also, today 11-11 there is a KR63 50i being built. Yes it has 3AG reversing camera, maybe yours. Also, newer builds now receive 420 Sun Protection glazing.

The share price decline, was partly/mainly from charges relating to the I3 I8 products.

I have seen the 35i looks good, 19" looks fine. I had a RR product, it broke down 4-5 times before I reached the break in period, got rid of it quickly, it was solid on 3-4 inch of snow with All seasons.

Last edited by barcelona; 11-11-2013 at 06:18 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2013, 06:47 AM   #20
chrisny
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Thanks Barcelona. Mine is a 35i and the order was just accepted last week, scheduled for week 48 production... We'll see what my CA says today.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2013, 06:57 AM   #21
ckortane
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisny
Thanks Barcelona. Mine is a 35i and the order was just accepted last week, scheduled for week 48 production... We'll see what my CA says today.
Fingers crossed for you. And hopefully fingers crossed my x5 finally gets released this week!!!
      11-11-2013, 07:25 AM   #22
barcelona
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: X

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckortane View Post
Fingers crossed for you. And hopefully fingers crossed my x5 finally gets released this week!!!
This week! Did you run your VIN to verify order specifics.
Also at this stage it should be ok. Orders can be modified up to 6 days before, so good to go, I would be surprised otherwise.

Source: SC plant
Freedom of choice – it’s the very heart of the BMW production process. BMW produces at least 80 percent of its vehicles to customer order. When you stop to consider all the unique combinations of exterior and interior colors, engines, options, and upgrades available, it’s enough to tax the imagination. In fact, it’s been said that we could run two shifts a day, seven days a week, for up to six months and never build the same vehicle twice. Perhaps more intriguing is the intricate and intelligent process by which it all comes together: coordinated sequencing of parts and precise engineering that is so unique and so flexible it allows you to make changes to your automobile up until six days before it is built.
Appreciate 0