BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW X5 and X6 Forum (F15/F16) > BMW X5 (F15) and BMW X6 (F16) Forum > BMW X5 and X6 (F15/F16) Forum

02-08-2018, 02:34 PM   #111
BitteEinBit
Field Marshall
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 X5 35i DHP MPPK

marlin2911

It's DHP.

DHP includes Adaptive M Suspension 2VM (Dynamic Damper Control + rear air suspension) and adds 2VP Active Roll Stabilization and Dynamic Performance Control (torque vectoring rear differential).

I have the same non M-Sport, x-line configuration. You just need to code the transmission 2TB.

Last edited by BitteEinBit; 02-08-2018 at 03:51 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2018, 09:02 PM   #112
2003M5
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2018 X5 xDrive50i M Sport

Garage List
I recently picked up a 50i with M-sport and DHP for the wife. All I can say is that the DHP makes a tremendous difference over standard M-sport. I drove an sDrive M-sport standard suspension before arranging a dealer trade for the xDrive50i M-sport with DHP. Night and day difference and what people say about the DHP being MORE comfortable is true. In comfort, the DHP outperformed the standard suspension (in smoothness) and in Sport it reminds me of the feedback and agility of my E39 M5. I will post a more in depth review with my driving impressions and settings once I get a few more miles on the vehicle. Loving this vehicle so far!
Appreciate 2
      03-15-2018, 09:36 PM   #113
Duke I
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5

Did you also option the Adaptive M Suspension? If so, how does it compare with the DHP?

Or are you running DHP and AMS at the same time?

Thanks. Duke
2017 X4 M40i (gone); 2010 X5 (last of the NAs); 2007 550i (still missed, except in the snow); 1991 525i manual (great 17-year run)
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2018, 12:00 AM   #114
Slickrick2
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018-X5M-BLK Sapphire Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandwi54 View Post
I really wish I had read this thread before buying my X5 50i with base suspension. It's entirely my fault because I've owned many sports cars in the past, including my current F80 M3, and suspension should've been the top priority when I was looking for a SUV (somehow I thought since it's a SUV, sports suspension isn't needed).

I bought the fully-loaded M-sport X5 last year (literally every option EXCEPT for DHP!) from a dealer who gave me a very good discount. When I test drove the car for 20 minutes, the suspension felt compliant, but now looking back I think it was because the roads near the dealership were good and didn't have many bumps and potholes. The first month of ownership was also ok as the car was purchased for my father and he drove most of the time. As soon as I started driving the car more, I noticed the bounciness and unsettling nature of the suspension.

My wife, her sister, and I took a trip from San Francisco to LA and her sister sat in the back. 30 minutes into the trip she complained about nausea. Knowing that my wife is also prone to getting carsick, I asked her to be the driver and put my sister-in-law in the front and myself in the back. 30 more minutes later, I started feeling a little uncomfortable in the stomach as well from all the bounce in the rear. Mind you, I don't ever get carsick or seasick after childhood, and this is the first time that happened. Now that my wife and I are expecting a baby, I do not want to put our baby through this and get sick.

Since I love the rest of the car so much and trading the car in for a new one with DHP would mean over $10k in loss due to depreciation, I decided to place an order for KW V3 coilover since I had good experience with it before on another car. My only worry is that the coilover will make the ride too stiff which may not be a good feeling when carrying a full car of passenger, but I'd rather have the car be stiff than bouncy. I still love the car a lot and it served well the purpose of taking us on multiple snowboarding trips and carrying the in-laws and relatives with many luggages. Once the coilover is installed, I expect to love it as much as my M3.
Quote:
I really wish I had read this thread before buying my X5 50i with base suspension. It's entirely my fault because I've owned many sports cars in the past, including my current F80 M3, and suspension should've been the top priority when I was looking for a SUV (somehow I thought since it's a SUV, sports suspension isn't needed).

I bought the fully-loaded M-sport X5 last year (literally every option EXCEPT for DHP!) from a dealer who gave me a very good discount. When I test drove the car for 20 minutes, the suspension felt compliant, but now looking back I think it was because the roads near the dealership were good and didn't have many bumps and potholes. The first month of ownership was also ok as the car was purchased for my father and he drove most of the time. As soon as I started driving the car more, I noticed the bounciness and unsettling nature of the suspension.

My wife, her sister, and I took a trip from San Francisco to LA and her sister sat in the back. 30 minutes into the trip she complained about nausea. Knowing that my wife is also prone to getting carsick, I asked her to be the driver and put my sister-in-law in the front and myself in the back. 30 more minutes later, I started feeling a little uncomfortable in the stomach as well from all the bounce in the rear. Mind you, I don't ever get carsick or seasick after childhood, and this is the first time that happened. Now that my wife and I are expecting a baby, I do not want to put our baby through this and get sick.

Since I love the rest of the car so much and trading the car in for a new one with DHP would mean over $10k in loss due to depreciation, I decided to place an order for KW V3 coilover since I had good experience with it before on another car. My only worry is that the coilover will make the ride too stiff which may not be a good feeling when carrying a full car of passenger, but I'd rather have the car be stiff than bouncy. I still love the car a lot and it served well the purpose of taking us on multiple snowboarding trips and carrying the in-laws and relatives with many luggages. Once the coilover is installed, I expect to love it as much as my M3.
Sandwi54 , did you ever put the coilovers on? I'd like to here your opinion on how the SAV feels handles now if you did.

Thanks, Rick.
      03-16-2018, 01:43 AM   #115
sandwi54
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: G07, F90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slickrick2 View Post
Quote:

Quote:

Sandwi54 , did you ever put the coilovers on? I'd like to here your opinion on how the SAV feels handles now if you did.

Thanks, Rick.
Yes I've had it on for almost two years now. It performed admirably with just the right balance between comfort and sport. Going over rough roads you can still feel the bumps but the damping is very well done. There's no more bouncing as and rebounds are tight and well defined. I'd recommend KW V3 for all base X5.
      03-18-2018, 12:02 AM   #116
2003M5
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2018 X5 xDrive50i M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke I View Post
Did you also option the Adaptive M Suspension? If so, how does it compare with the DHP?

Or are you running DHP and AMS at the same time?

Thanks. Duke
I will have to double check the build sheet but it is my understanding the DHP is a replacement for Adaptive M or in other words its a step beyond Adaptive M and there are no settings to disable DHP so its always working to some degree. The suspension characteristics (and lack of body roll due to the ARS) in Sport mode are just right. In fact I currently have sport mode configured to Chassis only instead of "Chassis + Drivetrain" because I prefer the standard drivetrain settings instead of holding on to gears like it can tend to do around town if in sport drivetrain. Then if I'm already driving in "Sport Chassis" settings and need quicker or firmer shifting I can enter "Sport +" or simply flick the gear selector over to the left Sport mode. So many options! Another hard to explain feeling is how the torque vectoring works to throw you around the corner as the ARS is already keeping you flat. Feels like its built for autocross yet comfortable over almost any road.
Appreciate 2
      03-19-2018, 08:04 AM   #117
Duke I
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5

Got it. I think you're correct, they are running together. Cannot option DHP without M adaptive on the configurator.
2017 X4 M40i (gone); 2010 X5 (last of the NAs); 2007 550i (still missed, except in the snow); 1991 525i manual (great 17-year run)
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2018, 12:47 AM   #118
macmaster28
Registered
Rep
Drives: Mk 7 Golf R

Just to clarify, is the DHS torque vectoring dif an LSD or is it open?
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2018, 06:43 PM   #119
Sedoy
Captain
Rep
Drives: F10

I believe DHP has the same torque vectoring LSD as used on X5M & X6M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmaster28 View Post
Just to clarify, is the DHS torque vectoring dif an LSD or is it open?
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2018, 06:44 PM   #120
mikew2069
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F30 335i MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymax85 View Post
I bought a non dhp f15 for a slamming deal, suspension doesn't bother me too much as I have an m3 as well.
Anyone have experience with the Bilstein b6 strife and the aftermarket springs re: eibach to stiffen up the car?
Do the base suspension guys have aftermarket shock options when lowered? I made the mistake of getting the standard suspension and like everyone else, its horrible. I installed the 4 spring H&R kit and it helped a tad but the shocks are so damn floaty I just have zero confidence in this rig.

I don't really want to drop 2500 on KW but I guess I will if I have to. Would be nice if there were some good shock options out there. 50i btw.
2016 F15 50i ///M-Sport
BM3/H&R/Borla
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2019, 01:29 PM   #121
MizikeTSK
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 XDrive 50i MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikew2069 View Post
Do the base suspension guys have aftermarket shock options when lowered? I made the mistake of getting the standard suspension and like everyone else, its horrible. I installed the 4 spring H&R kit and it helped a tad but the shocks are so damn floaty I just have zero confidence in this rig.

I don't really want to drop 2500 on KW but I guess I will if I have to. Would be nice if there were some good shock options out there. 50i btw.

A bit of a late response but I have an MSport w/standard suspension as well. I wonder if pairing your setup with Bilstein B6 will resolve the floaty feeling as they are more performance oriented vs. the B4 OE replacement.
      05-14-2019, 03:30 PM   #122
parkstr8
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X5 MSport Arctic Grey

I have a non sport and lowered it on Eibachs...but I think I need the Bilstein B5/B6. Any real feedback on these?

I don't want to compromise ride as LA roads are harsh...and dampening is super important.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2019, 06:32 PM   #123
mikew2069
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F30 335i MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizikeTSK View Post
A bit of a late response but I have an MSport w/standard suspension as well. I wonder if pairing your setup with Bilstein B6 will resolve the floaty feeling as they are more performance oriented vs. the B4 OE replacement.
Quote:
Originally Posted by parkstr8 View Post
I have a non sport and lowered it on Eibachs...but I think I need the Bilstein B5/B6. Any real feedback on these?

I don't want to compromise ride as LA roads are harsh...and dampening is super important.
I had ordered the B6 shocks and waited months as they were on backorder and finally punted and got coilovers.
2016 F15 50i ///M-Sport
BM3/H&R/Borla
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2019, 11:07 PM   #124
nordx5
Enlisted Member
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X5 xDrive50 M Sport DHP happy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikew2069 View Post
I had ordered the B6 shocks and waited months as they were on backorder and finally punted and got coilovers.
! would love to hear your feedback, since i ordered KW3 myself
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2019, 03:14 PM   #125
Carib
Carib
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17' X5 Xdrive35i M Sport

After reading this thread I'm admittedly confused.

Just purchased a 17' X5 Xdrive35i with M Sport Package. I have ECO, COMFORT and SPORT/SPORT+ options on the car. Does this mean that the vehicle is equipped with the 'Adaptive M Suspension'?

Thanks in advance. Glad to be here.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2019, 05:17 PM   #126
Russmov
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X5 xDrive 35i

Garage List
2015 BMW X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carib View Post

Just purchased a 17' X5 Xdrive35i with M Sport Package. I have ECO, COMFORT and SPORT/SPORT+ options on the car. Does this mean that the vehicle is equipped with the 'Adaptive M Suspension'?

Check your vin and it will tell you what you have.
Appreciate 1
      01-15-2020, 03:17 PM   #127
InsipidMonkey
Premium Monkey
Rep
Drives: N54 E61, N57 F15

I think the easiest way to confirm DHP is to peak under the rear of the car and look for the active rear sway bar (will have a large bulge in the middle of it with hydraulic lines going to it).
Example:
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2020, 05:16 AM   #128
Abstracted
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5M F85

With the Adaptive M and the Dynamic Handling Package, will an F15 handle the same as an F85?
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2020, 06:57 PM   #129
DzinekuF15
Rep
Drives: BMW, X5 F15

Garage List
2015 BMW X5  [0.00]
thank you for this lol.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2021, 01:46 PM   #130
FCX5
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carib View Post

If you find the build sheet, it will show up as M Sport Adaptive Suspension.

Last edited by FCX5; 02-19-2021 at 06:47 AM.. Reason: mistake fixed.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2021, 01:53 PM   #131
FCX5
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2003M5 View Post
I recently picked up a 50i with M-sport and DHP for the wife. All I can say is that the DHP makes a tremendous difference over standard M-sport. I drove an sDrive M-sport standard suspension before arranging a dealer trade for the xDrive50i M-sport with DHP. Night and day difference and what people say about the DHP being MORE comfortable is true. In comfort, the DHP outperformed the standard suspension (in smoothness) and in Sport it reminds me of the feedback and agility of my E39 M5. I will post a more in depth review with my driving impressions and settings once I get a few more miles on the vehicle. Loving this vehicle so far!
From what I know, the comfort part comes from the M-Sport Adaptive suspension. The DHP includes that and then adds additional ARS for more sporty handling. May be I am mis-informed. Not sure why BMW didn't just put them on more cars on the lot...
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2021, 08:36 PM   #132
Carpe_Diem_14
Rep
Drives: X5 F15, 2014 40d

Any solid solution for floating feeling (e.g. like a boat)? Mechanic says the feeling is due to the non run flats being softer, but I find it hard to believe this is the reason. Car height maybe?
Appreciate 0