BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW X5 and X6 Forum (F15/F16) > BMW X5 (F15) and BMW X6 (F16) Forum > BMW X5 and X6 (F15/F16) Forum

04-11-2014, 03:18 PM   #1
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X5 50i

Standard Speaker Scratchiness and Upgrade Options?

Hey guys, I've read through all the "speaker" threads trying to find similar issues, but I can't seem to find any; so, I'm posting this thread for your guys' help and input. Basically, we bought a 2014 X5 5.0i X-Line that was sitting in stock at the dealer. I had no idea that the standard speakers would be utter crap. Literally, with the radio and bluetooth, I hear terrible background scratchiness the higher the volume goes. It's really bad. I was thinking it might be some defect or if the actual speakers are like that.

So, what are my options? I have a 6 year warranty and don't want to install aftermarket parts that would/could void that. We called the sales rep that we purchased this from and inquired about the Harman Kardon speaker upgrade. He said this was not possible because the speaker systems are installed by the factory. Is this true? I read on another thread where the dealer screwed up someone's order that wanted HK speaker system and was given standard, so they were able to get it installed.

Please let me know if you guys know anything or what my best option is. I really would like to be able to get the HK upgrade if it's doable. Thank you .
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2014, 04:05 PM   #2
USAusi
Private
Rep
Drives: x5 35d

I have the standard speakers, and while I am no audiophile, I can tell you that they sound ok and I have no hint of any "scratchiness" or status type noises. Perhaps there is something wrong with your system. One thing to try is to remove any cell phones from the car - I have seen rare cases where cell phone signals caused static that is heard through the speakers (especially with Blackberrys). Good luck on getting this resolved.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2014, 09:27 PM   #3
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by USAusi View Post
I have the standard speakers, and while I am no audiophile, I can tell you that they sound ok and I have no hint of any "scratchiness" or status type noises. Perhaps there is something wrong with your system. One thing to try is to remove any cell phones from the car - I have seen rare cases where cell phone signals caused static that is heard through the speakers (especially with Blackberrys). Good luck on getting this resolved.
Hm...interesting. Cell phones never caused this issue in any of our other cars including our 2011 X3. Must be bad speakers. Still, anyone know of if HK upgrade can be done?
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2014, 10:55 PM   #4
hawkerdriver
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3

Give these guys a call

http://www.bavsound.com/Stage-One/
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2014, 12:11 AM   #5
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkerdriver View Post
Give these guys a call

http://www.bavsound.com/Stage-One/
Thank you! These look amazing and seems to have solid reviews all over bimmer forums for different vehicles. Unfortunately, they don't make it for our car yet .

Last edited by opasha; 04-12-2014 at 01:02 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2014, 12:48 AM   #6
wdimagineer
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 M

It's coming, opasha. I've had their speakers in previous cars and they are fantastic. Amazing customer service, too! Not sure when, but I imagine very soon.
      04-12-2014, 01:01 AM   #7
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdimagineer View Post
It's coming, opasha. I've had their speakers in previous cars and they are fantastic. Amazing customer service, too! Not sure when, but I imagine very soon.
Hearing that from you, I feel reassured brother! I'm big on sound (interior, exterior, etc.). That's one of the reasons why I chose the 5.0i...the growl won me over . My FX35 has BOSE audio and it's such a crisp sound. So going to these crappy standard speakers was way too noticeable for my ears. I read Bavarian are better in sound compared to HK and on par with BO in some cars. Can't wait! Thanks for the input!
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2014, 04:19 AM   #8
Armen383
First Lieutenant
Cyprus
Rep
Drives: Mercedes-Benz E63S

Being the guy from another thread who had his order screwed up... After numerous conversations with the dealer, they're still being very cautious about saying anything for sure about the HK retrofit. It's now more like: "Yes, it can be done. Yes, we will literally have to rip the car apart (front console, seats, carpet, pillar trim, completely change rear door trims, do additional wiring, etc). Are you sure you want to go through this on a new car?" It's like they are not sure they'll to everything properly, something might rattle, etc. So now I'm waiting for other, cash offers from them...

Back on your topic though, if you have the standard 6-speaker system (big FU to BMW for having that as default on F15, especially 50 versions), the best way would probably be to wait for BSW or look for other aftermarket solutions... All of those however will be half-measures: the car really needs a proper amp and woofers apart from the speakers, and that basically gets us back to ripping the car apart.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2014, 05:27 AM   #9
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armen383 View Post
Being the guy from another thread who had his order screwed up... After numerous conversations with the dealer, they're still being very cautious about saying anything for sure about the HK retrofit. It's now more like: "Yes, it can be done. Yes, we will literally have to rip the car apart (front console, seats, carpet, pillar trim, completely change rear door trims, do additional wiring, etc). Are you sure you want to go through this on a new car?" It's like they are not sure they'll to everything properly, something might rattle, etc. So now I'm waiting for other, cash offers from them...

Back on your topic though, if you have the standard 6-speaker system (big FU to BMW for having that as default on F15, especially 50 versions), the best way would probably be to wait for BSW or look for other aftermarket solutions... All of those however will be half-measures: the car really needs a proper amp and woofers apart from the speakers, and that basically gets us back to ripping the car apart.
Sorry to hear about your bad luck, my friend. (Big sigh) I still don't understand how Nissans come equipped standard with nice Bose speaker systems while BMW wants to cut corners and give us standard speakers with high pitch problems. I'm definitely going to look into upgrading through BSW when they release a system for our cars. I must be a closet audiophile, lol. I'm normally not picky with sound, but ever since rooting my phones years ago and playing around with audio amplifier/equalizer settings/dB settings, I've come to realize how unique/true sound clarity can be. The slightest HINT of a raspy high scratchy tone makes me cringe. I could have lived with it if it was ever so slight, but these speakers are just garbage. Mine must be worse than the rest if I can hear such scratchy tones that easily .
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2014, 09:36 AM   #10
hawkerdriver
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3

I'm pretty sure they will have a setup very soon.
It's worth the wait
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2014, 09:48 AM   #11
barcelona
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: X

For F25 MY2011 still no speakers available. If really interested ask them the timing.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2014, 09:55 AM   #12
katsu
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4 (Tanzanite)

for what its worth...here's an email thread from Bavsound re: speaker upgrades for the X5...

Thanks for checking in with us. I've already got an X5 geared up for the offer, and once we've finalized specs I'll let you know our approach to improving the sound quality. Have fun this week, and I'll be in touch later in April.

-Jason

On Thu, Mar 6, 2014 at 10:53 PM, Jason | BAVSOUND <jws@bavsound.com> wrote:
Get a free BMW speaker upgrade + cash.
View this email in your browser

We'd like to give you a free Stage One Speaker Upgrade for your BMW. And $500.
And install it for you.

(Yes, we're serious. Scroll down to learn more.)

Thanks so much for signing up for our waiting list for our Stage One Speaker Upgrade for your 2014 BMW X5 SUV/SAV, Standard (Hi-Fi) (F15)! We can't wait to release an upgrade for your car. The good news? You might be able to help and get paid doing it. Keep reading.

We’d like to give you a Stage One Speaker Upgrade (completely free), install it in your car, and pay you $500.
What’s the catch?

You MUST be in or near L.A.
(Please DO NOT email us if you are not in the L.A. area.)
You MUST have one of the cars listed below
We'll need your car for a couple of days.
We'll ask you to post an unbiased review (your honest opinion) of our products in a public BMW forum.
That’s it. (More details below).

Which cars are eligible?

Before contacting us, PLEASE confirm your car is listed below. (If it is NOT, please do not contact us -- we can't use your car.)
2014+ BMW 2 Series Coupé (F22)
2014+ BMW 4 Series Coupé (F32)
2012+ BMW 6 Series Coupé (F13)
2012+ BMW 6 Series Gran Coupé (F06)
2009+ BMW 7 Series Sedan (F01/02)
2013+ BMW X1 SUV/SAV (E84)
2011+ BMW X3 SUV/SAV (F25)
2014+ BMW X5 SUV/SAV (F15)
2009+ BMW Z4 Roadster (E89)
How do I sign up?
Ready? Just reply to this email and let us know what car you've got and where you're located!

NOTE: Before contacting us, PLEASE remember that only those near L.A. and with a car listed above are eligible.

Why do we need your car?
Simple — we have new products for which we need to film our installation guides. While we install our speakers in your car, we’ll film the process.

(A little more info: we have access to a significant number of BMWs for testing and development. However, because every single product we sell is vehicle-specific, down to the audio system, we sometimes need help to "fill the gaps.")

How long will you need my car?
We’ll need your car for two full days. Drop it off in the morning of Day 1 (no later than 10am) and pick it up in the evening of Day 2 (no earlier than 7pm).

When you pick up the car, we’ll hand you $500 in cash, and your new Stage One will be installed.

More questions? Contact us!

Copyright © 2014 Bavarian Soundwerks, LLC, All rights reserved.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2014, 12:43 PM   #13
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep

Yeah I got the same email last night when I signed up for updates via email. Hope this comes out soon.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2014, 02:19 PM   #14
katsu
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by opasha View Post
Yeah I got the same email last night when I signed up for updates via email. Hope this comes out soon.
I just emailed BSW asking about the status...will post any replies...
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2014, 02:36 PM   #15
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by katsu View Post
I just emailed BSW asking about the status...will post any replies...
Great! Thanks a lot brother!
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2014, 12:09 PM   #16
Richard181
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 5.0

I find that the stock speakers are horrible. Especially with AM radio. Go figure in an $80K car
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2014, 02:01 PM   #17
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard181 View Post
I find that the stock speakers are horrible. Especially with AM radio. Go figure in an $80K car
Finally, someone who can relate! I have a good aux cable. I'm gonna test that with my phone to see how it works compared to bluetooth and am/fm.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2014, 10:44 PM   #18
katsu
Private First Class
Rep

Reply from Jason at BSW....basically, they haven't started...

We're still waiting on inventories to arrive, so I haven't even gotten the chance to move forward on our devo X5. I'll drop you a line as soon as I have information that's relevant to rocking out the X5.

-Jason
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2014, 10:56 PM   #19
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep

Thanks for the update, man. Patience is a virtue. I don't plan on getting rid of my X5 anytime soon, lol .
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2014, 11:13 PM   #20
katsu
Private First Class
Rep

anyone ever heard of these guys?

http://musicarnw.com/bmw-upgrades/
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2014, 11:36 PM   #21
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by katsu View Post
anyone ever heard of these guys?

http://musicarnw.com/bmw-upgrades/
I looked them up. They seem to have good reviews, but I haven't found a single review for X5's. Also, they seem to be a smaller brand/company than BSW. I'm gonna wait on the BSW.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2014, 11:55 PM   #22
katsu
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by opasha View Post
I looked them up. They seem to have good reviews, but I haven't found a single review for X5's. Also, they seem to be a smaller brand/company than BSW. I'm gonna wait on the BSW.
One big difference appears to be that MusicarNW upgrades the amp as well as the speakers....BSW says they only upgrade the speakers.

On one hand, I can see the benefit to leaving all the electronics stock...less chance of f-ing something up...something electrical...and since the amp, drive, navi, etc are all interconnected, something expensive.

On the other hand...how much "upgrade" can you squeeze out of the stock system by only switching out the speakers?

hmmmm.....
Appreciate 0