Drives: 2018 X5 xDrive35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by InsipidMonkey View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MK2018 View Post
Thanks for the info

I don't have these buttons.
What's included in DA+ package and ACC?
KAFAS camera for lane departure warning and radar for active cruise control, both required for TJA.

Driver Assistance Plus (5AT):
Active Blind Spot Detection
Active Driving Assistant
Surround View
Speed Limit Information
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwes View Post
Quote:
Thanks for the info

I don't have these buttons.
What's included in DA+ package and ACC?
I might be wrong, but I think in Canada these packages are slightly different - I know on my car I don't have the DA+ package, just the DA package and it comes with all of the options InsipidMonkey mentioned. DA+ adds ACC Stop and Go, which to make things more confusing also has it's own option code.

The description of DA+ in the Canadian configurator for the 2018 model year is: "Driving Assistant Plus adds full collision braking function and Active Stop-and-Go Cruise Control."
I do have a camera because I have Line departure warning, I do have frontal collision warning, active blind spot detection, surround view, driving assistant, speed limit information

What Am I missing to make it work?
2017 GMC Sierra Denali
2017 GMC Yukon Denali
2016 GMC Yukon SLT
2015 GMC Sierra All Terrain
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2019, 10:45 PM   #266
InsipidMonkey
Premium Monkey
Rep
Drives: N54 E61, N57 F15

Quote:
I do have a camera because I have Line departure warning, I do have frontal collision warning, active blind spot detection, surround view, driving assistant, speed limit information

Do you have ACC (active cruise control with stop & go)? There will be a black box in the lower front grill for the radar unit.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2019, 11:01 PM   #267
MK2018
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 X5 xDrive35i

Quote:
Quote:

Do you have ACC (active cruise control with stop & go)? There will be a black box in the lower front grill for the radar unit.
I don't have that box there, looks like that's the only missing part for the TJA
2017 GMC Sierra Denali
2017 GMC Yukon Denali
2016 GMC Yukon SLT
2015 GMC Sierra All Terrain
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2019, 11:04 PM   #268
gwes
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 X5 40e

Quote:
I don't have that box there, looks like that's the only missing part for the TJA
Yup, that’s what you need.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2019, 12:46 AM   #269
Muzza
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X5 F15 x50

Is it possible for some cars to have the steering wheel hand sensors from factory without having the traffic assistance?
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2019, 10:13 AM   #270
Maverik259
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 / F15 50i

Garage List
2020 BMW M5  [10.00]
2014 X5 50i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muzza View Post
Is it possible for some cars to have the steering wheel hand sensors from factory without having the traffic assistance?
No.
'14 X5 50i (wife’s now)
Appreciate 1
Muzza55.50
      05-05-2019, 10:33 AM   #271
Mdlooker
Private
Rep
Drives: F16

Quote:
To retrofit:
You need 5AT (DA+ w/ACC) and either the Euro steering wheel with the capacitive sensor or the Quidzel module. VO code 5AR, and FDL code if you want to increase the speed it works at.

To use:
1) Enable Cruise Control, then 2) press the lower right button in the left button group:
Edit: I just tested this and found out you can enable TJA with just button 2, you don't need to turn on cruise control first.
Attachment 2046668
My description doesn't specify "5AT" but does have "S5ATS" w/o an ACC description. But my vehicle does have ACC and lane departure warning along with what seems to be the correct steering wheel for buttons to push to activate TJA but I'm not sure if that also translates that I have the capacitive sensor. I unfortunately don't see the 5AR in my list of options on my description-seems like I'll need to make a purchase of the Quidzel module.

Another concern: I have the iCarly WiFi coding module along with BimmerCode App. I believe I've read that the E-Sys is the only way to code this option. I'll have to research the cost associated with this coding method.

Next Concern: if 1 of 2 ACC distance control buttons is now for activating the TJA, will the distance control remain at one setting and unavailable for adjustment?

Last concern: I have right around 90K/6yrs remaining on my extended warranty. Does this knock out all hopes of a functional change to the package to avoiding voiding the warranty? Will the dealer give me issue for making changes like this?[IMG][/IMG]
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-05-2019, 11:43 AM   #272
Muzza
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdlooker View Post
My description doesn't specify "5AT" but does have "S5ATS" w/o an ACC description. But my vehicle does have ACC and lane departure warning along with what seems to be the correct steering wheel for buttons to push to activate TJA but I'm not sure if that also translates that I have the capacitive sensor. I unfortunately don't see the 5AR in my list of options on my description-seems like I'll need to make a purchase of the Quidzel module.

Another concern: I have the iCarly WiFi coding module along with BimmerCode App. I believe I've read that the E-Sys is the only way to code this option. I'll have to research the cost associated with this coding method.

Next Concern: if 1 of 2 ACC distance control buttons is now for activating the TJA, will the distance control remain at one setting and unavailable for adjustment?

Last concern: I have right around 90K/6yrs remaining on my extended warranty. Does this knock out all hopes of a functional change to the package to avoiding voiding the warranty? Will the dealer give me issue for making changes like this?[IMG][/IMG]
Regarding the buttons, I believe the top button becomes a ‘cycle’ button between all available distances.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2019, 11:44 AM   #273
sj22
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 14 F15 50I

And it should not affect any warranty stuff. Any coding you do can be easily undone.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2019, 01:17 PM   #274
InsipidMonkey
Premium Monkey
Rep

Quote:
Regarding the buttons, I believe the top button becomes a ‘cycle’ button between all available distances.
This is correct.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2019, 01:25 PM   #275
CanadianLurker
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 X5 xDrive35d

I'm confused by the various names....

Does "Active Cruise Control with Stop&Go" = "Traffic Jam Assistant" ??
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2019, 01:31 PM   #276
CatalinP
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 F15 2014 3.0xd

No.
Appreciate 1
      05-05-2019, 01:38 PM   #277
Mdlooker
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianLurker View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianLurker View Post

So Active Cruise Control with StopGo feature allows you to engage cruise control with 1-4 Car-lengths at a set speed while you maintain lane control 100% of the time you're driving. The second a car in front of you enters that distance zone at a lower speed and/or within the zone itself, the sensor will signal to slow to a constant speed to keep at that set distance between you and the car in front of you.

Traffic Jam Assistant is an added feature to ACC that when activated, allows the driver to remove his/her hands from the steering wheel and sensors will keep the vehicle in a lane and turn the steering wheel to maintain inside the lines of the lane. It's only for a temporary period as sensors need to detect hand contact after a certain period onto the steering wheel as a safety precaution as it's only an assist function and not a primary. The time allowed for hands off of the steering wheel, I'm not sure as there may be a defaulted time and may be coded to last for a longer period.
Appreciate 1
      05-05-2019, 06:17 PM   #278
Muzza
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
So Active Cruise Control with StopGo feature allows you to engage cruise control with 1-4 Car-lengths at a set speed while you maintain lane control 100% of the time you're driving. The second a car in front of you enters that distance zone at a lower speed and/or within the zone itself, the sensor will signal to slow to a constant speed to keep at that set distance between you and the car in front of you.

Traffic Jam Assistant is an added feature to ACC that when activated, allows the driver to remove his/her hands from the steering wheel and sensors will keep the vehicle in a lane and turn the steering wheel to maintain inside the lines of the lane. It's only for a temporary period as sensors need to detect hand contact after a certain period onto the steering wheel as a safety precaution as it's only an assist function and not a primary. The time allowed for hands off of the steering wheel, I'm not sure as there may be a defaulted time and may be coded to last for a longer period.
I imagine the aftermarket emulator allows for permanent hands off, as there are no sensors to detect hands so to speak?
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2019, 09:03 PM   #279
InsipidMonkey
Premium Monkey
Rep

Quote:
I imagine the aftermarket emulator allows for permanent hands off, as there are no sensors to detect hands so to speak?
Yes, the Quidzel module makes it look like the capacitive sensor is installed and there is always a hand on the wheel. I wouldn't consider it "permanent hands off" as the system often gives a warning and disables itself for anything above a mild turn. It works quite well in traffic on a straight road though.
Appreciate 1
Muzza55.50
      05-06-2019, 06:43 AM   #280
gwes
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 X5 40e

Quote:

5AT is just S5ATS abbreviated, they're the same thing.

You might be able to code it with Bimmercode in expert mode - I posted the changes further up in this thread, but I'm not sure, I haven't tried. For Esys, you need a windows computer/tablet, an ENET cable and you'll need to download the program (free).
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2019, 08:29 PM   #281
Mdlooker
Private
Rep

Quote:

You might be able to code it with Bimmercode in expert mode - I posted the changes further up in this thread, but I'm not sure, I haven't tried. For Esys, you need a windows computer/tablet, an ENET cable and you'll need to download the program (free).
Okay, I'll re-read the thread and see if BimmerCode will do this before getting the E-Sys cable.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2019, 02:33 AM   #282
CatalinP
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 F15 2014 3.0xd

At present BimmerCode is unable to code ICM Module in Expert Mode, therefore not useful for coding TJA. However, the developer promised it will be re-enabled in a future version.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2019, 04:15 PM   #283
InsipidMonkey
Premium Monkey
Rep

Quote:
Okay, I'll re-read the thread and see if BimmerCode will do this before getting the E-Sys cable.
Where are you located? You can probably find someone close by with E-Sys that can VO code it for you.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2019, 08:18 PM   #284
Maverik259
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 / F15 50i

Garage List
2020 BMW M5  [10.00]
2014 X5 50i  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:

I've done the coding in BimmerCode and it hasn't worked for me as of yet. Need to VO code once I brave my way through ESYS again.
'14 X5 50i (wife’s now)
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2019, 12:57 AM   #285
Mdlooker
Private
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Where are you located? You can probably find someone close by with E-Sys that can VO code it for you.
I haven't yet. Once I read that it couldn't be done through BimmerCode, I'm deciding whether to get the E-Sys cord or try to find someone to do it for me. I've already had to recode a few things once the dealer put my towing hitch on so I'm thinking to get the cord myself and do the update myself.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2019, 07:41 AM   #286
David3
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E21 (x2), E46, F15, G05 LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheUltimateDrivingManiac View Post
sure, just get a new buttons unit.
I just picked up the proper button set off Ebay for $75 "New old stock"
Appreciate 0