BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW X5 and X6 Forum (F15/F16) > BMW X5 (F15) and BMW X6 (F16) Forum > BMW X5 and X6 (F15/F16) Forum

09-13-2015, 06:20 PM   #1
Shaw
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5 35d | 2019 X3 30i

Garage List
Dynamic Adaptive Suspension...share your experience pls.

Hi,
I'm trying to understand what the DAS option actually does and if it is a good package to buy?
please share your experience and some explanation of what difference it makes compared to a standard suspension.
thx
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2015, 10:45 PM   #2
icreate
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: X5 35d M Sport

I have picked up my 35D M Sport (including M Adaptive Suspension) with Dynamic Adaptive Suspension last week.
(To our neighbours in the US, this is the name of the DHP minus the DDC in Canada).

It is not really a suspension change and you can get it with either standard suspension or with M-Adpative suspension incase of M-Sport.

It adds two things, Active Roll Stabilization (ARS) and Rear-torque vectoring.
These make the car really flat in corners and no body bounce.

My experience has been really great. No matter how hard I push the car around the corner, it says flat.
It take corners a lot faster my old golf, feels safer even though it is higher of ground and heavier.

So if you care so much about body roll and a bit aggressive in drive, this package is for you.

Note: what the online configurator said that choosing DAS will remove M-Adaptive suspension is not true as my car has both.
Appreciate 1
      09-14-2015, 07:21 AM   #3
Shaw
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by icreate View Post
I have picked up my 35D M Sport (including M Adaptive Suspension) with Dynamic Adaptive Suspension last week.
(To our neighbours in the US, this is the name of the DHP minus the DDC in Canada).

It is not really a suspension change and you can get it with either standard suspension or with M-Adpative suspension incase of M-Sport.

It adds two things, Active Roll Stabilization (ARS) and Rear-torque vectoring.
These make the car really flat in corners and no body bounce.

My experience has been really great. No matter how hard I push the car around the corner, it says flat.
It take corners a lot faster my old golf, feels safer even though it is higher of ground and heavier.

So if you care so much about body roll and a bit aggressive in drive, this package is for you.

Note: what the online configurator said that choosing DAS will remove M-Adaptive suspension is not true as my car has both.
Thanks, good explanation.
Is the car actually smoother with less bounce on bumpy roads as well with the comfort option as they say?
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2015, 08:41 AM   #4
icreate
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

My experience is you feel no bounce on bumpy road specially on the sport mode.
Even when you go over those speed limiting artificial bumps. You will feel the bump but no bounce.
Though I believe this is mainly due to the M-Adaptive suspension as the DAS contributes more to the bounce/body roll side to side.

I noticed that I do not get body bounce in bumpy roads in all modes but in sport when the suspension is more stiff you feel the bumps a bit more which in ECO you feel a lot less of the road and still no bounce.

If you do not get M-Sport in Canada but get DAS, I think it will be completely different ride as there is no suspension upgrade option in Canada like 2VM (Dynamic Damper Control + rear axle air suspension) in the US. Meaning you will get standard suspension.
The rear air-suspension in 2VM or 2VP contributes to no body bounce front-back I believe.

I used to drive an Acura MDX SH-AWD before, it had the rear torque vectoring but only when your foot is on the gas. (unlike X5 which works all the time). So when I was taking corners with it, and I slow down by pushing the breaks or even taking my foot away from the gas, I would feel the body roll and sense of less-safety. So I had to actually give it more gas through the corner to stabilize it.
With DAS, it is just works and the car feels as if it is on rails. It is a kind of strange feeling that you have to experience it to appreciate it.
The higher the speed the more noticeable it will be.

If you are looking for smooth ride (specially in straight lines), then probably M-Adaptive is sufficient.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2015, 10:00 AM   #5
Shaw
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
My experience is you feel no bounce on bumpy road specially on the sport mode.

If you are looking for smooth ride (specially in straight lines), then probably M-Adaptive is sufficient.
Well, I'm not getting the M-Adaptive as I believe that only comes with M Sport Line, correct? I would want to go for Luxury and with that, there's this Dynamic Adaptive Suspension ($3,500). So I'm wondering if that package would give me the comfort ride I'm looking for?
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2015, 11:27 AM   #6
bubbahead
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2022 G05 40i Msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaw View Post
Well, I'm not getting the M-Adaptive as I believe that only comes with M Sport Line, correct? I would want to go for Luxury and with that, there's this Dynamic Adaptive Suspension ($3,500). So I'm wondering if that package would give me the comfort ride I'm looking for?
From what I read in the pricing guide for MY 2016 in Canada, the Luxury line is deleted. Only option is 'no-line' and Msport.
2011 550ix msport
2009 e92 335i msport
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2015, 11:54 AM   #7
icreate
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

IMHO, I do not know. It is hard to tell what you get with standard suspension + DAS, but I lean towards no you will not get what you are looking for.

Can I ask why don't you want the M-Sport? It feels like a better package to me vs buying luxury then add comfort-seats and bigger wheels in addition to the suspension upgrade.

Also, on thing you could look at is getting 3rd as it automatically adds rear-air suspension. Try a luxury line with 3rd row and see if feel comfortable enough. (it does not have the dynamic damper control though)
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2015, 02:32 PM   #8
Shaw
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbahead View Post
From what I read in the pricing guide for MY 2016 in Canada, the Luxury line is deleted. Only option is 'no-line' and Msport.
Yes, I just got that too...it is xLine and Msport.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2015, 02:34 PM   #9
Shaw
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

Can I ask why don't you want the M-Sport? It feels like a better package to me vs buying luxury then add comfort-seats and bigger wheels in addition to the suspension upgrade.
I don't like M's steering wheel...
Also colors are limited with M Sport and I can't have the ones I want.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2015, 02:46 PM   #10
dubsesd
#dubspec
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G05 X5/ 2016 F80 M3 INDVL

my dad has the x6 individual with Dynamic Adaptive Suspension and i have the x5 msport with M adaptive. both have great ride but mine is smoother in comfort and a bit stiffer in sport i find. i also think he doesn't have rear air

MPE / M Performance & Carbon package / KW v3 / 20" HRE R101LW / 20" HRE 527s / Michelin PSS / 20% tint / 3d Design / Streckenn splitters / OEM GTS hood / EAS Carbon seatbacks / Carbon RKP sideskirt / Bootmod3 / M Performance Tri color alcantara / AWE S Flow
instagram: @ dubsesd
Appreciate 1
      09-14-2015, 03:07 PM   #11
Shaw
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dubsesd View Post
my dad has the x6 individual with Dynamic Adaptive Suspension and i have the x5 msport with M adaptive. both have great ride but mine is smoother in comfort and a bit stiffer in sport i find. i also think he doesn't have rear air

holly cow!!!
These two are beautiful...
We are contemplating between X5 and X6...wife says X6, I say X5...due to room and consumption of gas...I'm opting for X5 again.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2015, 03:19 PM   #12
brucedu
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F25 28i F15 M Fully loaded

Quote:
Hi,
I'm trying to understand what the DAS option actually does and if it is a good package to buy?
please share your experience and some explanation of what difference it makes compared to a standard suspension.
thx
Mines have the M package and DHP with M suspension, I got a chance drove my friend's F15 which is only have the M package, oh man, thats totally different car than mine, It's really feeling kind of odd than mine when i am riding it, This is my 1st time noticed how significant M suspension it is.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2015, 09:45 PM   #13
icreate
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
holly cow!!!
These two are beautiful...
We are contemplating between X5 and X6...wife says X6, I say X5...due to room and consumption of gas...I'm opting for X5 again.
Hmmm, since you might consider X6, you could actually get the comfort suspension package with it. (2VM) this gives you rear-air suspension and dynamic damping control without requiring M Sport

Another thought, ask if you can do custom order to add 2VM to the X5, that would fit your requirement

Last edited by icreate; 09-14-2015 at 09:52 PM.. Reason: added another suggestion
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2015, 09:50 PM   #14
icreate
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubsesd View Post
Really nice combo there

If the X6 does not have rear-air suspension, then it has the standard suspension which does not soften or stiffen when you change the mode. That is why your M-Sport is smoother in comfort and stiffer in sport.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2015, 05:49 AM   #15
dubsesd
#dubspec
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G05 X5/ 2016 F80 M3 INDVL

I'm not sure about the x6 to tell you he truth. It has the comfort and sport adjustments for chassis and powertrain. I just don't recall seeing bags in the back when inspecting but i could be wrong. Either way it seems you have mastered the x5/x6 option list and would probably make easy money working there now lol
MPE / M Performance & Carbon package / KW v3 / 20" HRE R101LW / 20" HRE 527s / Michelin PSS / 20% tint / 3d Design / Streckenn splitters / OEM GTS hood / EAS Carbon seatbacks / Carbon RKP sideskirt / Bootmod3 / M Performance Tri color alcantara / AWE S Flow
instagram: @ dubsesd
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2015, 08:52 AM   #16
Shaw
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
So apparently here are the different packages available (not sure if we can get them all here in Canada- through Special order perhaps?!)

2VM Dynamic Damper Control + rear axle air suspension
2VP Dynamic Performance Control + Active Roll Stabilization
7SZ Dynamic Handling Package

I only see 2VP being available in Canada.
I think the last one DHP has also a code called ZDH if I've not mistaken?! I'm trying to understand what the difference between 2VP and ZDH is...on the US site, it says Dynamic Handling Package which consists of the two elements in 2VP?!
What's in the DHP? Now I'm totally confused

So the definition I get for each:
Dynamic Damper Control: This available system adjusts the damping characteristics to suit driving conditions and road quality. The damping changes contribute to a more stable-feeling ride, while a self-leveling air suspension adjusts the height of your rear axle to optimize driving dynamics.

Active Roll Stabilization: On the road, a vehicle’s body tends to roll in corners, which can affect handling. Performance-elevating Active Roll Stabilization, incorporates two-piece anti-roll bars to generate stronger resistance to body roll, keeping the vehicle more level and providing maximum stability and agility.

Dynamic Performance Control: Smoothly distributes power between the rear wheels for optimal agility and sporty handling. For instance, when cornering, the outside wheel receives more torque, allowing you to drive “into” curves.

By the looks of it, I need a package-to icreate's point, that gives me the 2VM ?!

Last edited by Shaw; 09-15-2015 at 10:05 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2015, 12:48 AM   #17
vangoose
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 Porsche Cayenne

Quote:
So apparently here are the different packages available (not sure if we can get them all here in Canada- through Special order perhaps?!)

2VM Dynamic Damper Control + rear axle air suspension
2VP Dynamic Performance Control + Active Roll Stabilization
7SZ Dynamic Handling Package

I only see 2VP being available in Canada.
I think the last one DHP has also a code called ZDH if I've not mistaken?! I'm trying to understand what the difference between 2VP and ZDH is...on the US site, it says Dynamic Handling Package which consists of the two elements in 2VP?!
What's in the DHP? Now I'm totally confused

So the definition I get for each:
Dynamic Damper Control: This available system adjusts the damping characteristics to suit driving conditions and road quality. The damping changes contribute to a more stable-feeling ride, while a self-leveling air suspension adjusts the height of your rear axle to optimize driving dynamics.

Active Roll Stabilization: On the road, a vehicle’s body tends to roll in corners, which can affect handling. Performance-elevating Active Roll Stabilization, incorporates two-piece anti-roll bars to generate stronger resistance to body roll, keeping the vehicle more level and providing maximum stability and agility.

Dynamic Performance Control: Smoothly distributes power between the rear wheels for optimal agility and sporty handling. For instance, when cornering, the outside wheel receives more torque, allowing you to drive “into” curves.

By the looks of it, I need a package-to icreate's point, that gives me the 2VM ?!
Depending what you want to get, X5 or X6.
In X5, only 2VP is offered. In X6, both 2VM(CA$1500) and 2VP(CA$3500) are offered as options. If you have M package with M suspension (2VF), you can have both 2VF and 2VP.

See my post about 2VP, basically I only opted for it without 2VM/2VF as I felt the stock suspension is quite comfortable but it doesn't stop body roll. It makes huge difference in handling, it keeps comfort but removes body roll, toque vector also makes cornering much smoother and faster. 2VP also changes steering feel, tightens up steering in every driving mode, gives more direct feeling comparing to stock which is really numb in comfort mode. Haven't tested 2VP much in sport mode, but in comfort mode, it already feels more sporty than my 2015 X6 without 2VP in sport mode.

2VM/2VF is optional, but 2VP is a must have.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2015, 06:11 AM   #18
kip1
Captain
Rep
Drives: X5M50d

Anyone have experience with the regular air suspension witvout the handling package vs msport suspension? I believe the M rides lower from the beginning and is probably stiffer. I believe the rear axel is also wider or is that only in the M50d? Considering the 40e has the normal air suspension as standard, but the Msport is a non cost option in a car with Msport package. I like the msuspension in the M50d, after that experience, i wouldnt pay 4000e extra for torque vectoring. The msuspension car doesnt really lean in corners int the sport mode, so dont think that is necessary. Thoughts? Am leaning towards msuspension if I get the 40e...
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2015, 06:22 PM   #19
Turbodog72
Rep
Drives: X5 xdrive40e

M Sport is required in my opinion...

If you like a driver focused ride you should go for the M suspension over plan old stock suspension. I wish DHP was offered on 40e because it was the first option that I wanted. Had it on the Cayenne and it is perfect for the way I drive.

I decided to skip it due to wanting a car that is more suitable with all seasons for all weather in NJ. In the past I had snows and wife hates it.

Since my car is DOA, I may get a new build and add it at that point.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2015, 08:04 PM   #20
Shaw
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
GREAT NEW GUYS!!!
I received the 2016 Order Guide, and 2VM (Comfort Adaptive Suspension) is now added on X5 without the need to order 2VP and I can still order 3rd row.
Appreciate 0