BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

01-08-2018, 05:08 AM   #1
martin mustang
Major
Ireland
Rep
Drives: 640d,X5 45e, 911c4s, 635csi

leaving the engine running/on with no key

One annoying feature I discovered this morning having to defrost our e40 windscreen 1st time, it is not possible to leave the engine running without the key in the car! The engine switches off and I only discovered when back since the hybrid when on is silent, so when I went back 5 min later I realised the ice was still on my windscreen with the engine switched off the minute I left the car, the vent went on blowing cold air only.
With the F10, I leave the engine running and lock the car, this way windscreen is slowly defrosted and ready when about to drive away. I find this safe since I can lock the car while away with my key in my pocket.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2018, 07:19 AM   #2
Habs11
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by martin mustang View Post
One annoying feature I discovered this morning having to defrost our e40 windscreen 1st time, it is not possible to leave the engine running without the key in the car! The engine switches off and I only discovered when back since the hybrid when on is silent, so when I went back 5 min later I realised the ice was still on my windscreen with the engine switched off the minute I left the car, the vent went on blowing cold air only.
With the F10, I leave the engine running and lock the car, this way windscreen is slowly defrosted and ready when about to drive away. I find this safe since I can lock the car while away with my key in my pocket.
Understand your frustration but I like this feature. Twice with my wife's car i dropped her off at a store only to drive to my desired stop. At some point realized i should not turn the car off because my wife had the keys!

Also, it's not good for your engine to idle for a long period of time to warm up (presumably defrost your windshield).
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2018, 05:29 PM   #3
retx
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 F15 40e

I feel the same here.

With another 4-months, I'll no longer hand wash my 40e but send to the auto wash. I didn't see the clear instruction of how to do this. Based on my understanding on the manual, I'll drive to the auto wash, don't turn off the ignition, exit the car (engine will be off automatically but the ignition is still on). The difficult part is how to make sure the auto wash guys know not-to-turn off the ignition. When they try to move the car forward, I worry they may press the button many times since the car is so quiet.

I can't just assume they know...
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2018, 08:12 PM   #4
Tim2189
Russian in a Bimmer
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 M50i

I've played around with it a few times and it seems that when I open the door to get out, i rev the engine before coming out the car and it stays on, a gentle tap not slamming it down. sounds silly but give it a try and see.
2018 X5 40e - retired
2020 X5 M50i - Current
Appreciate 1
retx117.00
      01-08-2018, 08:22 PM   #5
MochiEater
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 X5 40e

It's not the key, the ignition shuts off when the driver's door is opened and the seatbelt unbuckled. There are 2 ways to keep the X5 40e ignition on and exit with the key:

With the car ignition on, car in Park and Parking Brake on:

1) Without opening the driver's door, unbuckle the seat belt. Route the belt behind your back and plug it back into the receptacle. Leave the seatbelt buckled. Driver can open the driver's door and exit the car with the key. The car ignition will stay on in hybrid mode. The car can be driven away or put in Neutral without the key inside.

2) Without opening the driver's door, press the accelerator pedal. The ICE will start up. Driver can unbuckle the seatbelt and open the driver's door and exit the car with the keys. The car ignition and ICE will stay on. The car can be driven away or put in Neutral without the key inside.

This is also how the car can be handed off to an auto car wash attendant so they can put it in Neutral to ride the conveyor. If either 1 or 2 is not performed, when the driver exits the car, the ignition will automatically switch off and the car will automatically shift into Park (whether the key is inside or outside the car) and potentially jam the conveyor.
2018 330e - Driver Assistance Plus, Adaptive LED Lights (decoded VLD), Active Blind Spot Detection, ACC Stop & Go, Parking Assistant, Side/Top Cameras, HUD, Comfort Access, 225/45R18 255/40R18 Pirelli Cinturato P7 + Winter Sotozero Serie II
Appreciate 1
retx117.00
      01-09-2018, 02:31 AM   #6
martin mustang
Major
Ireland
Rep

True but with the Hybrid e40 when idle its only the electric engine running/on, so no fuel burning, and quiet with not a sound, handy when doing this @ 5:30 am.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs11 View Post
Understand your frustration but I like this feature. Twice with my wife's car i dropped her off at a store only to drive to my desired stop. At some point realized i should not turn the car off because my wife had the keys!

Also, it's not good for your engine to idle for a long period of time to warm up (presumably defrost your windshield).

Last edited by martin mustang; 01-09-2018 at 02:40 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2018, 02:39 AM   #7
martin mustang
Major
Ireland
Rep

Thanks folks for the updates, more likely to go for the 2nd option press the accelerator, wonder will locking the car once outside trigger the car to shut off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MochiEater View Post
It's not the key, the ignition shuts off when the driver's door is opened and the seatbelt unbuckled. There are 2 ways to keep the X5 40e ignition on and exit with the key:

1) Without opening the driver's door, unbuckle the seat belt. Route the belt behind your back and plug it back into the receptacle. Leave the seatbelt buckled. Driver can open the driver's door and exit the car with the key. The car ignition will stay on in hybrid mode. The car can be driven away or put in Neutral without the key inside.

2) Without opening the driver's door, press the accelerator pedal. The ICE will start up. Driver can unbuckle the seatbelt and open the driver's door and exit the car with the keys. The car ignition and ICE will stay on. The car can be driven away or put in Neutral without the key inside.

This is also how the car can be handed off to an auto car wash attendant so they can put it in Neutral to ride the conveyor. If either 1 or 2 is not performed, when the driver exits the car, the ignition will automatically switch off and the car will automatically shift into Park (whether the key is inside or outside the car) and potentially jam the conveyor.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2018, 02:48 AM   #8
Almaretto
Major General
Rep
Drives: Test Vehicles

Mine does not shut off. I can lock with engine running.
Appreciate 1
Chadmatic660.50
      01-09-2018, 03:28 AM   #9
turboawd
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35i

best bet is to just get in and start driving.
driving the car warms up the engine way faster than just idling. and long idling just isnt good for an engine. soot can build up in combustion chambers and exhaust. cylinder walls can get glazed, etc.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2018, 11:25 AM   #10
martin mustang
Major
Ireland
Rep

I am afraid driving away not an option when the screen covered in ice, plus with the Hybrid e40 its the electric engine on 1st so no combustion until you hit around 40 mph. because the engine running is possible with my diesel F10 with the key out as well as our previous X3, I thought this is specific to the Hybrid model and how it always start with only the electric engine on providing of course it is charged.

Quote:
Originally Posted by turboawd View Post
driving the car warms up the engine way faster than just idling. and long idling just isnt good for an engine. soot can build up in combustion chambers and exhaust. cylinder walls can get glazed, etc.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2018, 12:03 PM   #11
Chadmatic
Registered Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15 35i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almaretto View Post
Same here, accidentally left mine running in a parking lot for nearly two hours once during a torrential rain. I wish it had the auto shut off feature.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2018, 02:01 PM   #12
MochiEater
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
I am afraid driving away not an option when the screen covered in ice
Is the X5 40e scheduled to precondition the battery and warm up the cabin in the morning before departure?
2018 330e - Driver Assistance Plus, Adaptive LED Lights (decoded VLD), Active Blind Spot Detection, ACC Stop & Go, Parking Assistant, Side/Top Cameras, HUD, Comfort Access, 225/45R18 255/40R18 Pirelli Cinturato P7 + Winter Sotozero Serie II
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2018, 04:56 PM   #13
martin mustang
Major
Ireland
Rep

Looking into that going forward, but with the mild Irish climate, if not wrong this year we only experienced 3 or 4 icy mornings. normally more consistent around this time, hence never thought scheduling was needed.

Quote:
Is the X5 40e scheduled to precondition the battery and warm up the cabin in the morning before departure?
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2018, 05:27 PM   #14
MochiEater
Private First Class
Rep

Definitely program a scheduled precondition departure time. It can take 3 hours to precondition the high voltage battery and 30 mins to warm the cabin. By doing it using the mains, it will save the battery for moving the wheels.

http://bmwi3.blogspot.com/2014/12/bm...g-wrong_8.html

http://bmwi3.blogspot.com/2015/03/bm...nding-how.html
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2018, 06:36 PM   #15
wordsworth03
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: na

Or just go into your BMW Connected app on your phone and tap on “climatize now” about 20-30 minutes before you leave. As long as your car is plugged in, it should preserve most of your battery and you don’t have to program a preconditioning schedule.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2018, 07:04 PM   #16
retx
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyc328ci View Post
I've played around with it a few times and it seems that when I open the door to get out, i rev the engine before coming out the car and it stays on, a gentle tap not slamming it down. sounds silly but give it a try and see.
Quote:

Thanks for tips. I tried to rev the engine as well as played with the option#2. All works.

But, let's assume I'm doing the auto car wash, I let the engine idle, exit the car, the auto wash guy then enters and drives it up to the position, most likely the ICE will shut off after he exits... Actually I don't care if the ICE is on or off, I just like to ensure the auto wash guy knows he needs to step on the brake and push the button again in order to move forward if ICE is off. He has to pay attention to that "READY" sign... Just do not shut off my ignition.

Note: I know another way is not to do the auto wash...
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2018, 07:07 PM   #17
retx
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almaretto View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadmatic View Post
Same here, accidentally left mine running in a parking lot for nearly two hours once during a torrential rain. I wish it had the auto shut off feature.
Are the cars 40e? Or it's X5 without the plug-in hybrid?
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2018, 07:13 PM   #18
retx
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wordsworth03 View Post
Or just go into your BMW Connected app on your phone and tap on “climatize now” about 20-30 minutes before you leave. As long as your car is plugged in, it should preserve most of your battery and you don’t have to program a preconditioning schedule.

IMHO. It's a little bit challenging to calculate the right time to get the warm vehicle/cabin and the full battery when you're ready to leave.

If I program to warm up the car 30-mins before my departure time, my battery may drain all the way to 80-90% even though my Level 1 is plugged in. I intend to warm up the car a little earlier, for example hours ahead. Or try to get the Level 2 installed.

Luckily my car isn't parking outsides, and X5 usually warms up the cabin pretty fast. So I don't have to program to warm my car all the time.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2018, 07:25 PM   #19
retx
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by turboawd View Post
Quote:
I am afraid driving away not an option when the screen covered in ice, plus with the Hybrid e40 its the electric engine on 1st so no combustion until you hit around 40 mph. because the engine running is possible with my diesel F10 with the key out as well as our previous X3, I thought this is specific to the Hybrid model and how it always start with only the electric engine on providing of course it is charged.
40e engine doesn't immediately kicks in during your regular start. You may drive all the way to your destination without using the ICE at all. And your engine will stay cold from the beginning to the end.

I know the current engine has been very advanced and can tolerate no-warm-up driving during the normal speed and acceleration. But, with 40e, sometimes you may have ICE kicks in right in the middle of the highway acceleration or uphills, and your ICE will directly hit the high RPM.

I'm not the guy knowing the engine enough, so, my old fashion way is usually to enforce my ICE kicking in during my start for 10-seconds or longer depending on the temperature outsides. I just want to make sure the engine oil can circulate and lubricate before my drive.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2018, 09:14 PM   #20
Almaretto
Major General
Rep
Drives: Test Vehicles

Quote:
Originally Posted by retx View Post
Are the cars 40e? Or it's X5 without the plug-in hybrid?
'16 40e.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2018, 11:40 PM   #21
wordsworth03
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: na

Quote:
Originally Posted by retx View Post
IMHO. It's a little bit challenging to calculate the right time to get the warm vehicle/cabin and the full battery when you're ready to leave.

If I program to warm up the car 30-mins before my departure time, my battery may drain all the way to 80-90% even though my Level 1 is plugged in. I intend to warm up the car a little earlier, for example hours ahead. Or try to get the Level 2 installed.

Luckily my car isn't parking outsides, and X5 usually warms up the cabin pretty fast. So I don't have to program to warm my car all the time.
I guess I should have specified I have a L2 charger. I can preheat for 10-15 minutes and have 97-98% when I leave.
Appreciate 0