BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW X5 and X6 Forum (F15/F16) > BMW X5 (F15) and BMW X6 (F16) Forum > BMW X5 and X6 (F15/F16) Forum

02-05-2021, 08:19 PM   #1
apw2607
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 50e M-Sport

I-Drive bug with Presets and Steering wheel controls

I've got a 2018 X5 (USA) and have this annoying bug with I-Drive, Presets and the steering wheel buttons.

Issue is: When switching audio source to Preset, last channel you were listening too is not selected (if previously changed using steering wheel controls).

Way to reproduce issue:

1. First thing, make sure I-Drive is on say Map screen or Top level menu screen.
2. Now select your Presets as audio source (assuming you have Satellite radio stations and/or FM stations in the Preset list), using steering wheel MODE button and note the channel you are currently listening too.
3. Then change the channel within the Preset list, using the steering wheel buttons. The Preset list displays on HUD (or would display on cluster if you dont have HUD), selecting another satellite radio channel if you were listening to satellite in step 2.
4. Then switch the audio source to something else like Carplay or Music Collection or USB, using the MODE button the steering wheel.
5. Then switch back to the PRESET audio source again using steering wheel MODE button.

When I return back, I don't return to the channel i was listening too in step 3. Its whatever was originally set in Step 2. before I made any changes ! What is inconsistent, is if I use the buttons on the radio, then it behaves correctly and will return you to the last channel you were listening too.

The dealer said it was "normal behavior", but as a software developer no one would release software like this. Its completely inconsistent. Can someone else confirm? I had a 2017X5 and don't recall it behaving like this, soI just wonder if its a 2018 problem, or I need a I-STEP update across ECUs.

Ta.

Last edited by apw2607; 02-05-2021 at 08:29 PM..
Appreciate 0