BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

02-14-2015, 07:11 AM   #1
Rustang Cobra
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: like a Masshole

The missing "Rest" button still exists

Most prior BMW owners are aware that a Rest button used to exist on every BMW climate control. It was a function that ran residual heat from the engine into the cabin of the vehicle for about 10 minutes after the car was turned off.

I was upset to see this button missing from our new X5, however found that BMW had actually integrated this technology in another way.

After you turn off your car (you must have been driving for at least 10 mins to get the car up to temp) simply hit the button that increases the vent fan speed and you'll see the climate control light up and hear/feel the vents kick on with nice warm air.

Its a great feature, especially with this extreme weather we've been getting in the Northeast. I use it when I put gas in the car, run an errand or when I'm sitting parked waiting for someone.
Appreciate 2
      02-14-2015, 11:27 AM   #2
Doanster
Major
Rep
Drives: 2014 F15 Carbon Black M-Sport

Does this work after you've departed/locked the car? This is in regard to the A/C vs heat. Having this feature would go a long way towards preventing stinky vents due to the A/C not drying out after use. My wife used the air the other day to dehumidify/defrost the windows and after she turned off the A/C, the car stunk to the high heavens. We have less than 2K miles on the clock...
I wish there was an "after blow" feature like we had on our Volvo XC90. The car recognized when you've used the A/C and 15mins after you've turned the engine off, the fans turn on high for a few mins to dry out all the vents. In ten years of ownership, the car remained odor free!
      02-14-2015, 05:29 PM   #3
F15GorDe
Well versed in the care and feeding of BMWs
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15d, F10

OK, then where is the "auxiliary water pump" ?
Those of us that replaced that pump in our 7 series have very unique scars.
      02-15-2015, 06:25 PM   #4
wjbender
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 X5 40i M Sport

Thanks for the tip - I used this today
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2015, 01:53 PM   #5
ydchoe
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 F15

This is a great feature and I can surely think of many times where I can use it, but can we really use this feature without risking battery drainage especially on cold climate? I would hate to be left with dead car after using this feature.

Has anyone use this feature extensively without any issue?
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2015, 03:02 PM   #6
wjbender
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 X5 40i M Sport

I use it all the time. no issue - I'm not sure, but I bet that if the battery voltage starts to drop BMW is programmed to shut down this feature.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2015, 04:59 PM   #7
retx
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 F15 40e

I'm using it often, too.

If we trust what BMW said, the feature will be shut down when the car detects the potentially insufficient battery loads.
Appreciate 0