BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

01-28-2023, 11:58 AM   #1
Skullanova
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW x5d, 2003 GMC duramax

Passive def fluid tank

Hi all, I looked through old threads but didn’t find much. Have the counter counting down the mileage on my 2014 x5 diesel. Took to the dealer and they tell me the passive tank sensor is Non-Functional-Goods and the little pump that flows to the active tank is not working as well. This is after they tested my concentration than dumped and refilled with their adblue so already at 550 bucks!
So to replace these parts is 3800 bucks not including what I have into it already and our Canadian taxes.
So, I have a new tank and pump.....has anyone replaced one of these? Just looking for any insight. Thanks any and all!
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2023, 05:10 PM   #2
F87 S55
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M2 Competition

Garage List
Additional help..

There is a VERY active Facebook Group called "North American BMW Diesel Owners Group" (NABDOG) that have quite a few very knowledgeable members that I know would be very helpful. I would look at joining this group. IF you are not on Facebook then I got nothing. I'm guessing you will not get much a response here. I only answered because I have a 2018 X5 35d and remember reading about this issue on the group above. Best of luck.
Appreciate 1
Vivek.1367.50
      02-18-2023, 12:41 PM   #3
crystalworks
Captain
Rep
Drives: Many BMW's

I have to replace the transfer pump as well. It's been non-func for awhile. So just been adding DEF to the active tank.

I don't use Facebook, but have heard good things about NABDOG being the best place to get diesel info.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2023, 01:33 AM   #4
Skullanova
Rep

Thanks for the info on NABDOG but unfortunately IÂ’m a dinosaur and donÂ’t do Facebook. As far as the transfer pump it just sits on top of the passive tank. I changed out the passive tank in about 3-1/2 hours. Hardest part was getting under the x5 to get all the stuff pulled.
1. Raise vehicle so u can work under it from drivers side.
2. Pull the two covers, a metal interior tool helps pull the plastic rivets if u have sidesteps.
3. Pull the hose off front of tank and drain what u can, be aware it holds like 10 plus litres.
4. Pull off the one electrical plug near front(sensor) than a bracket holds tank up, undo the front nut and tilt tank to drain more def.
5. There is a bunch of clips holding the wiring along the tank, remove what u can than pull the nut from the bracket located at the rear of the tank, if u have a 6 inch extension and universal swivel for your socket wrench than this is not too impossible.
6. At this point u should be able to tilt the tank towards the front and drop it out. Be aware the transfer pump will still be attached.
7. Once itÂ’s down you will have full access to your transfer pump if need be.
8. Installation is just reverse order.
9. If you are replacing tank due to the bad def mixture fault than you will also need to reset in the adaptations that you have changed the fluid, let the truck sleep, and take it for a drive down the hwy for about 20 miles or so.

Also be aware a new tank comes with a new transfer pump, I ordered a tank and a transfer pump and found that I wasted 370 bucks!

Hope this helps anybody doing this...all in all not a bad job, average skill level.
Appreciate 2
happydude136.50
Clifton221.50
      02-19-2023, 09:06 AM   #5
Clifton
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Cars with tires

Skullanova - Thanks for sharing your instructions. I'm sure it will come in handy at some point.

Questions: Apart from the mileage countdown, did your diesel throw a code leading to all of this? Anything else of substance shared on the paperwork from your dealer?

crystalworks & Skullanova - No Facebook for me either. * HIGH FIVE *

crystalworks - I hear an opportunity for DIY guide in your future. ;0)

Last edited by Clifton; 02-19-2023 at 09:13 AM..
Appreciate 1
      02-19-2023, 10:15 AM   #6
Skullanova
Rep

In this case itÂ’s my wifeÂ’s ride for the most part, but I kinda lead her to drive vehicles that I like and have an interest in cause IÂ’ll be doing the wrenching. Before this she had 2 LR discos and a RR supercharged so yes I am a gluten for punishment!

As far as the codes, yes I had gotten some random codes before hand that I glossed over and reset and they had to do with the scr system but this was a month prior?

When the counter started counting down though there was no check engine light right before, in this case it appeared with the countdown.

After I reset the adblue mixture in Adaptations and let it sleep for the night, the counter disappeared for my better half on the way to her work the next morning! However the check engine light stayed lit, this seemed to go out on its own the following morning without any reset so was feeling pretty good about it. About a week and a half later the check engine light only came back on.....I was in a foul mood, but when I checked out the codes which were 26F500, 26F600 and I think 26FD00, these codes were all based on before I had done the repairs based on the current KM on the x5 vs. the mileage showing on each of these codes.

Well itÂ’s been about a week so time will tell if I got it or as others have had it was the Nox sensor(s). Crossing my fingers as sheÂ’s a great beast to drive when all is well!

There is nothing on dealer report showing any codes though. Sorry for the long winded answer.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2023, 02:42 PM   #7
crystalworks
Captain
Rep

LOL, we'll see Clifton. I do seem to document things while I'm down there anyway.

Wife's keeps throwing an intermittent CEL. Codes are:

1. 2BB300 Diesel particulate sensor measuring electrode faulty
2. 805268 Recirculating pump unit activation. Not plausible.

Need to check if there are any others on this most recent CEL illumination. I have an appt for next Thursday at the dealer for the EGR recall so will have them diag the CEL as well. Obviously won't have them do any repair, but a second opinion on parts to be replaced for $185 diag fee is cheap insurance. Besides, last time I got lucky and the CEL was caused by NOX sensors failing so they replaced both under the extended emissions warranty. Doubt I'll get that lucky this time... but nothing ventured nothing gained.
Appreciate 1
Clifton221.50
      02-20-2023, 10:42 PM   #8
happydude
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 / F15 X5 35d

Quote:
Originally Posted by crystalworks View Post
LOL, we'll see Clifton. I do seem to document things while I'm down there anyway.

Wife's keeps throwing an intermittent CEL. Codes are:

1. 2BB300 Diesel particulate sensor measuring electrode faulty
2. 805268 Recirculating pump unit activation. Not plausible.

Need to check if there are any others on this most recent CEL illumination. I have an appt for next Thursday at the dealer for the EGR recall so will have them diag the CEL as well. Obviously won't have them do any repair, but a second opinion on parts to be replaced for $185 diag fee is cheap insurance. Besides, last time I got lucky and the CEL was caused by NOX sensors failing so they replaced both under the extended emissions warranty. Doubt I'll get that lucky this time... but nothing ventured nothing gained.
Yeah I have that 805268 Recirculating pump unit activation. Not plausible code as well. I went through the testing in ISTA and my transfer pump is not working. Likely clogged. The extended warranty for the SCR active tank does not apply to the passive tank. I just chose to ignore it as I can still make it over 5,000 miles before the active tank gets low, and been just filling the active tank the past year. I may consider replacing the passive tank now that I know it comes with the pump, but it won’t be anytime soon. If you do end up replacing it and make a DIY that might make me commit to changing mine…

I also had the particulate sensor code back in July. Mine also caused a CEL. Had it done at dealer. It’s covered under the 10 year 120,000 mile extended warranty. If you are still under that mileage. Here is the SIB. https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/20...60282-9999.pdf

Last edited by happydude; 02-20-2023 at 10:50 PM.. Reason: Info on SIB
Appreciate 1
      02-21-2023, 12:12 PM   #9
crystalworks
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by happydude View Post
Yeah I have that 805268 Recirculating pump unit activation. Not plausible code as well. I went through the testing in ISTA and my transfer pump is not working. Likely clogged. The extended warranty for the SCR active tank does not apply to the passive tank. I just chose to ignore it as I can still make it over 5,000 miles before the active tank gets low, and been just filling the active tank the past year. I may consider replacing the passive tank now that I know it comes with the pump, but it won’t be anytime soon. If you do end up replacing it and make a DIY that might make me commit to changing mine…

I also had the particulate sensor code back in July. Mine also caused a CEL. Had it done at dealer. It’s covered under the 10 year 120,000 mile extended warranty. If you are still under that mileage. Here is the SIB. https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/20...60282-9999.pdf
Hey! Great news. I'll take any "free" work BMW is willing to give in order to keep my fleet of high maintenance girlfriends on the road. I love Bimmers, but sometimes wonder how much time/money I could save driving a Lexus. And then I drive one.

I've been doing the same, filling the active tank that is. But I'll probably fix as it's the wife's car and I don't like her's having any "problems." A complete front end rebuild is coming in the next 10k miles. Currently at 103k.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2023, 02:20 PM   #10
happydude
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 / F15 X5 35d

Sweet. You just reminded me to check for my EGR Cooler Recall and looks like it finally shows as available. I'll need to book soon. Let me know if they end up replacing your air intake manifold. I had mine replaced the first time. The language states "The EGR Cooler Will Be Replaced. If It Is Determined That The EGR Cooler Has Leaked, The Engine Intake Manifold Will Also Be Replaced." I have been losing coolant and regularly topping off over the past 1.5 years. So hopefully I will be getting a new intake manifold.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2023, 10:39 AM   #11
Skullanova
Rep

Well the countdown is back...
Went through code checks and getting the following..
26FD00
29FB00
29FC00
2C4E00
-Went under car, passenger side, removed one panel to get to that spray nozzle thingee in the exhaust (was very easy actually). Found it was pretty darn crusty so gave it a clean with the distilled water. Came out very clean, I should have done it when I did the tank but let’s face it I was lazy! Pretty sure this ain’t going to resolve my problems but at least I can rule out one more thing.
- Reset adaptations for def so will see.
- Was looking at my Nox sensors and have 26.98ppm before converter and -0.01 after the converter? Anyone have any idea what these numbers should be?
- Next will be looking at changing the Nox sensors....tough pill to swallow as I can’t find anywhere that BMW in Canada has put them under a 10 year warranty as they have in the USA.
-Also in another thread one of the members changed his battery and this seemed to resolve his problem as the heater on the active tank was not working with the poor battery....it has been cold here the last week or so?
-Thanks all members as I would not have had a clue where to start on this one without your input.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2023, 12:34 PM   #12
E90SpcGryM3
Private
Rep
Drives: 11’ E90 M3 ZCP Slicktop 6spd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skullanova View Post
Well the countdown is back...
Went through code checks and getting the following..
26FD00
29FB00
29FC00
2C4E00
-Went under car, passenger side, removed one panel to get to that spray nozzle thingee in the exhaust (was very easy actually). Found it was pretty darn crusty so gave it a clean with the distilled water. Came out very clean, I should have done it when I did the tank but let’s face it I was lazy! Pretty sure this ain’t going to resolve my problems but at least I can rule out one more thing.
- Reset adaptations for def so will see.
- Was looking at my Nox sensors and have 26.98ppm before converter and -0.01 after the converter? Anyone have any idea what these numbers should be?
- Next will be looking at changing the Nox sensors....tough pill to swallow as I can’t find anywhere that BMW in Canada has put them under a 10 year warranty as they have in the USA.
-Also in another thread one of the members changed his battery and this seemed to resolve his problem as the heater on the active tank was not working with the poor battery....it has been cold here the last week or so?
-Thanks all members as I would not have had a clue where to start on this one without your input.
Any luck buddy? Have the same exact codes.
Appreciate 0