09-25-2021, 10:05 PM   #1
Chilled
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: F85 X5M

Re-Assign Steering Wheel Button Functions

Hi Guys,

I am just wondering if it is possible to re-assign the +/- or the scroll wheel of the steering wheel to Next/Back for the music playback. This would be on a NBT iDrive 5, touchscreen 2017 X5M.

The issue is that when you play from USB with shuffle on, it does not give you the option for next/back on the screen nor the idrive wheel. The only next/back buttons are the two next to the volume knob, on the other side of the car. If not possible to re-assign the steering wheel buttons, those 1-8 touch sensitive "radio" buttons.

Found this post, it looks like its somewhat possible for the LIM button. Don't know how this translates into Next/back.
https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1316825

Last edited by Chilled; 09-28-2021 at 03:05 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2021, 02:12 PM   #2
hugo_nz
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW iX Xdrive40 MSport

Garage List
2022 BMW IX  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilled View Post
Hi Guys,

I am just wondering if it is possible to re-assign the +/- or the scroll wheel of the steering wheel to Next/Back for the music playback. This would be on a NBT iDrive 6, touchscreen 2017 X5M.

The issue is that when you play from USB with shuffle on, it does not give you the option for next/back on the screen nor the idrive wheel. The only next/back buttons are the two next to the volume knob, on the other side of the car. If not possible to re-assign the steering wheel buttons, those 1-8 touch sensitive "radio" buttons.

Found this post, it looks like its somewhat possible for the LIM button. Don't know how this translates into Next/back.
https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1316825
When you say “music from USB” are you referring to mp3 files, ipod interface, or with built in app support like Spotify? The only time I dis not see a next/previous track on the HUD or Cluster was when using AUX. All other sources had aome level of control from the steering wheel.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2021, 03:18 PM   #3
unluky
Major
Rep
Drives: 04 z4 3.0 Sport & 15 X5 35i XD

Garage List
LOL - this has been one of my biggest misses when I bought my X5. I miss that "next" button on the wheel my old car had. I've gotten semi-used to it, but I still cuss when I reach down there.

I like to keep all my music on the HD and set it to random and just skip past sings I am not wanting to hear that moment. Only way to do that is with the next button by the volume knob that I know of. I can use the wheel to select a song by name, but not random next track. I miss that.
      09-28-2021, 09:08 AM   #4
Chilled
Major
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugo_nz View Post
When you say “music from USB” are you referring to mp3 files, ipod interface, or with built in app support like Spotify? The only time I dis not see a next/previous track on the HUD or Cluster was when using AUX. All other sources had aome level of control from the steering wheel.
As in mp3 files that on a USB drive. Try it, load up some mp3s onto a usb, plug it in, pick it as the source, hit shuffle and you will loose the next/back buttons. Its a well documented issues, and no solutionhas been found yet.

Im still hopeful there is a way to reassign the button functionality on the weels. From the lonk i gave it looks like thry do it to some extent for the lim. So the Next/Back as to be an iDrive function that should be able to be assigned.

Or enable the buttons on the touchscreen.

Last edited by Chilled; 09-28-2021 at 03:06 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2021, 10:03 AM   #5
tokyodrift
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW X5 xDrive35i

I don't know if this applies, but I use the scroll wheel on the right side of the steering wheel to change tracks on CarPlay Spotify

- Scroll wheel up (-) and press on scroll wheel to play previous track
- Scroll wheel down (+) and press on scroll wheel to play next track

You can use the <> track buttons next to the CD player, but that's not always ideal.

I also miss the dedicated +/- buttons on the e46 steering wheel... but that's all i know.
      09-28-2021, 02:11 PM   #6
hugo_nz
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW iX Xdrive40 MSport

Garage List
2022 BMW IX  [0.00]
Quote:
As in mp3 files that on a USB drive. Try it, load up some mp3s onto a usb, plug it in, pick it as the source, hit shuffle and you will loose the next/back buttons. Its a well documented issues, and no solutionhas been found yet.

Im still hopeful there is a way to reassign the button functionality on the weels. From the lonk i gave it looks like thry do it to some extent for the lim. So the Next/Back as to be an iDrive function that should be able to be assigned.

Or enable the buttons on the touchscreen.
Righto…that would be a no on either of those. The LIM button you mentioned before can be remapped since it has different functions in different markets. The track wheels can only do one thing in all markets so there is no customization possible. In a hypothetical sense one option would be to create a decoder box that intercepts the signal from the wheel and sends a track forward back command to the head-unit, but it would not be contextually aware and as such impact other functions (like radio station and phone list scrolling).
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2021, 02:14 PM   #7
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

ditto Tokyodrift...I can use the steering wheel's scroll wheel to select songs from the HD music collection or a USB thumbdrive (or radio). But I have the 1st iteration NBT (ID4).

I can also select fwd/rwd from the Entertainment screen that displays info from whatever source I'm listening too...using the iDrive controller knob to make the next selection.

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2021, 03:12 PM   #8
Chilled
Major
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qsilver7 View Post
ditto Tokyodrift...I can use the steering wheel's scroll wheel to select songs from the HD music collection or a USB thumbdrive (or radio). But I have the 1st iteration NBT (ID4).

I can also select fwd/rwd from the Entertainment screen that displays info from whatever source I'm listening too...using the iDrive controller knob to make the next selection.
IDrive 4 apparently still has it, not sure.

But you guys are missing the point a little, UBS+Shuffle. When its on shuffle, the scroll wheel , just like idrive knob, can be used for next back but the track list is in alphabetical order from the usb. It is not based on a shuffle list. The only way obvious to go to next/bqck track is via the buttons near volume nob.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2021, 03:20 PM   #9
Chilled
Major
Australia
Rep

Ok
Quote:
Originally Posted by hugo_nz View Post
Righto…that would be a no on either of those. The LIM button you mentioned before can be remapped since it has different functions in different markets. The track wheels can only do one thing in all markets so there is no customization possible. In a hypothetical sense one option would be to create a decoder box that intercepts the signal from the wheel and sends a track forward back command to the head-unit, but it would not be contextually aware and as such impact other functions (like radio station and phone list scrolling).
Im Ok, with been not contextually aware. Do you have any reference doco for the decoder box? Are there any on the market?

*Edit* whst about those 1-8 iDrive touch buttons? Can they have the next/back set on them? Or is it only screens/radio stations.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2021, 07:35 PM   #10
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
IDrive 4 apparently still has it, not sure.

But you guys are missing the point a little, UBS+Shuffle. When its on shuffle, the scroll wheel , just like idrive knob, can be used for next back but the track list is in alphabetical order from the usb. It is not based on a shuffle list. The only way obvious to go to next/bqck track is via the buttons near volume nob.
Just to circle back…and we don’t know which version of iDrive you have…but on my NBT and CIC (pics below from my 2013 650ix GC because that’s what I was driving today)…when listening to tracks from a USB thumb drive…I can select next FWD or RWD…and as you can see in the pics…it says RANDOM in either direction. With random selected…it did not follow the alphabetical or track number listing…it stayed random. It even went back to the previous artist when the selection had moved on to another artist.

Another thing I found…using the iDrive controller knob isn’t that bad for FFW/RWD since it can be found/grabbed without looking at it…and then moving the knob to the left and scrolling clockwise or counter clockwise also doesn’t require looking at the knob. Only a brief glance at the iDrive screen if you don’t already have the cursor in place to select “next”.

And sorry you thought we were missing the point…for me, I was just offering some other solutions to the issue you raised. Sometimes there are multiple ways to “skin-the-cat” that you may not have considered… we don’t know what other methods you considered before inquiring about being able to reassign buttons.

If you do make an attempt to assign the FWD/RWD button functions to the 1-8 programmable buttons…post back. I’m sure others may find it an interesting solution for them, as well.
Attached Images

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2021, 10:49 PM   #11
Chilled
Major
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Just to circle back…and we don’t know which version of iDrive you have…but on my NBT and CIC
I am sorry but you guys did miss the points, and the version is the 2nd sentence in the OP.

Just did a quick search found 3 threads where all the people responding completely missed the point as well of iDrive5 and shuffle+usb
https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1407604
https://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1507692

and where one guys claimed that holding the iDrive wheel to left/right would click next/back. i did try this, no good, all it does is open the split screen.
https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1330422

Just so that everyone can see the what this USB/Shuffle thing is. No next Buttons, the tracks are in alphabetic order, and the same on the jog wheel on the steering wheel.
Name:  20210929_122342.jpg
Views: 759
Size:  298.5 KB

I am grateful for advice/ suggestion and ideas for things that I or we haven't thought of. It just gets a little old having to explain the problem several times over for people whom haven't read the OP.

The other idea/question i have is what does the iDrive 6 Lite look like. As in if, we change the view from 5 to 6Lite will that bring in the Next/Back buttons, even on the touch screen.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2021, 10:56 AM   #12
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep

Thanks for the pic that shows what is display in your version of iDrive. Looks like ID5 takes a step backwards.

The pic I posted above that shows "RANDOM" when selecting "next or "last" shows the last version of CIC iDrive. When I got home, I checked my 2014 X5 which has the 1st iteration of NBT (ID4)...and when I go to the same screen and select for "next" or "last"...it actually gives the song title where RANDOM is displayed in the CIC.

If IDrive ID5 & ID6 & ID7 lost that feature...again, that is a step backwards.

Appreciate 0
      09-30-2021, 11:55 AM   #13
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep

Just to show how the NBT/ID4 iDrive is similar to the CIC (in regard to being able to use the iDrive controller knob to go back to the previous selection or move to the next selection when RANDOM is selected)...you can see the pics below that shows the name of the previous track or next track when the FFW or RWD icon is selected.

BTW, the "Ambiguous Genitalia" track is from one of the previous owners of my X5. They must have been a physician/urologist because they left a lot of audible seminars about urological matters from various speakers. I must say that it can sometimes be very interesting listening on long trips! This particular track starts off discussing Hermaphroditism (now referred to as intersexuality) where there are both genitalia present in one person.

BTW, the Chris Brown, Nicki Manaj, Maroon 5, Taio Cruz/Ludicrus, were also music tracks/playlist left on the HDD by the previous owner....quite an eclectic musical selection from hip hop/rock/pop/soul/rap/jazz/medical seminars.

But I digress...if the ID5 & ID6 versions of iDrive dropped this feature...perhaps its a good thing this topic came up. We usually think of the latter iterations of iDrive as being better...but perhaps not everything is better in the latter versions.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-30-2021, 05:09 PM   #14
Chilled
Major
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Just to show how the NBT/ID4 iDrive is similar to the CIC (in regard to being able to use the iDrive controller knob to go back to the previous selection or move to the next selection when RANDOM is selected)...you can see the pics below that shows the name of the previous track or next track when the FFW or RWD icon is selected.

tracks/playlist left on the HDD by the previous owner....quite an eclectic musical selection from hip hop/rock/pop/soul/rap/jazz/medical seminars.

But I digress...if the ID5 & ID6 versions of iDrive dropped this feature...perhaps its a good thing this topic came up. We usually think of the latter iterations of iDrive as being better...but perhaps not everything is better in the latter versions.
From the reading it looks like they dropped it in idrive 5 onwards, but haven't been able to get an answer out of anyone who's decided to flip over to iDrive 6 Lite on these. And i'm not brave enough yet to change the UI.

Also, to make the question more convoluted, if you play on shuffle from the internal HDD, it will give you the NXT/BCK buttons. It only removes them for USB+Shuffle.

Hopping someone can come up with a solution to this, because atm there appears to be only 3x ways out.
  1. Copy all song to internal HDD.
    • The HDD is way to small and PITA to copy too it every time/ to update change tracks.
  2. Use MMI, for carplay.
    • No Touch input to control it, and appears does not auto activate the screen to camera view based on FWD movement and PDC. Does trigger when car goes into reverse though. Audio via 2chnl Aux.
  3. Android 12.3 Screen replacement.
    • No idea on oem 360/rear camera situation. Audio via 2chnl Aux.

*EDIT*

I reached out to Joye Auto about their unit, because on some of their products (for BMW) it says that they work with touch screens. The photos of the unit have a "touch" input plug, not sure what that is for. Unfortunately they are on China's national Day holiday until the 6th, so hopefully will hear something back next week.

https://www.joyeauto.com/bmw-evo-id5...play-solution/

Did try to toggle the UI to 6Lite, and nope. No Next/Back.

Last edited by Chilled; 10-02-2021 at 06:58 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2021, 03:01 AM   #15
Chilled
Major
Australia
Rep

Just found out that the EVO, somewhat natively supports apple carplay. Just coding needed.

Not the most ideal solution but, could be an option. Buy a cheap iphone, throw in glove box and use the apple player.

re. this thread about apple car play, and evo.
https://f15.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1548680
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2023, 01:14 AM   #16
thepianist1
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 G01

Hi all

Chilled were you able to reprogram your media steering wheel buttons?, I'm having same problem
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2023, 09:00 PM   #17
Chilled
Major
Australia
Rep

Nope, still stuck with the same issue.

And haven't looked further into the Android HU side as all seem to remove the OEM touch functionality in Idrive and the audio is the 2ch aux.
Appreciate 0