BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

03-01-2023, 07:08 AM   #1
lauritzm
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW X6 xDrive50i

Question 2017 F16 - full screen carplay (and NBT upgrade?)

Hello!

I am new here. Recently got my 2017 BMW X6 xDrive50i. It is easily my favorite car overall, but has its little annoyances. One of them being the 3/4 carplay screen. My cars VIN is 5UXKU6C31H0W38516.

I've talked to a few of the companies offering the Fullscreen Carplay coding upgrade, they all say I have to upgrade the NBTEvo system (head unit/firmware/what do I call it?). Bimmer Remote offers this at about 200 dollars (remote upgrade they login to your laptop), the dealerships offer it at about 400 dollars.

Does anybody have experience using Bimmer Remote or similar services to upgrade it? I am afraid it might cause problems with the software, but 400 dollar is very steep. I also want to use all the functions of the BimmerCode app, which I understand some of them require me to get NBTEvo_X.

Is there a way to check my NBT version other than the Map screen? My understanding is that I am currently running NBTEvo_M, but I am not able to verify since my Map/Navigation is not accessible (says I need a code to activate with a USB). If I check my firmware version via the iDrive menu it only gives me the Telephone/Media version, which is a different system (says Telephone: TB-006.001.044 and Media: MB-006.001.044).

In general, how would you approach this to get full screen carplay in a relatively safe and affordable way?

On a side note, is there a place where I can see the notes on what each version upgrade does? Like what is the difference between NBTEVO_M and O, O and P, etc. up to X?

Thanks a bunch for contributing to this great forum, lots of good resources here. My PM is not enabled yet, but if you want to PM feel free to reach out via email lauritzm@gmail.com
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2023, 04:23 PM   #2
ErikV55
Private
Rep
Drives: 2017 X5 xDrive35i M Sport

+1 for Bimmer Remote. I've used them for both mine and my wife's car for multiple services. @[kubax86]
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2023, 10:19 PM   #3
RED_Y_
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 3.5d

kubax86 Should be able to help.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2023, 05:50 AM   #4
lauritzm
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikV55 View Post
+1 for Bimmer Remote. I've used them for both mine and my wife's car for multiple services. @[kubax86]
Thank you. That is probably the easiest and cheapest way to go, I just wanted to hear somebody else's experiences.

Did you need a battery tender or did you just run the engine?
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2023, 05:52 AM   #5
lauritzm
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RED_Y_ View Post
kubax86 Should be able to help.
Thank you. He might be the person I have already talked to on their Facebook site.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2023, 10:29 AM   #6
andyjeffries
Rep
Drives: F15 X5 xDrive30d M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by lauritzm View Post
On a side note, is there a place where I can see the notes on what each version upgrade does? Like what is the difference between NBTEVO_M and O, O and P, etc. up to X?
Did you ever get an answer to this side note? I'd also love to know.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2023, 03:03 PM   #7
astonishingmatt
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW F15, 2014 BMW F30

I just used bimmer-remote for carplay - I also have NBTevo_M, which is somewhat annoying because N, O, and P (maybe a few others) can do USB coding of Carplay for full-screen. We just missed that.

Anyway, used bimmer-remote and it was great. They've got great reviews on this site. I thought about doing the update to the newest software, but doesn't seem worth it to me so much. To be fair, the $200 cost 'does' include carplay being installed, which is like $60 on it's own. So basically it's 130 to upgrade the software to allow fullscreen carplay, if that helps digest it a bit more.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2023, 02:27 AM   #8
lauritzm
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by astonishingmatt View Post
I just used bimmer-remote for carplay - I also have NBTevo_M, which is somewhat annoying because N, O, and P (maybe a few others) can do USB coding of Carplay for full-screen. We just missed that.

Anyway, used bimmer-remote and it was great. They've got great reviews on this site. I thought about doing the update to the newest software, but doesn't seem worth it to me so much. To be fair, the $200 cost 'does' include carplay being installed, which is like $60 on it's own. So basically it's 130 to upgrade the software to allow fullscreen carplay, if that helps digest it a bit more.
Thank you for sharing your experience.

Carplay does work great, except it's on 2/3rd screen, so I am not sure what the previous owner did. When I go to the BMW ConnectedDrive it says I can buy Carplay for 60 bucks...

So for me it would be 200 bucks. I also want do some BimmerCode changes, quite a few actually, but I understand that after Bimmer Remote software upgrade those won't work.

For now I think I will just leave it at 2/3rds and use BimmerCode to do changes I want (heated seat settings, remove startup warnings etc.)
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2023, 07:12 AM   #9
titanjc
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 xDrive35i M Sport

lauritzm like a few of the posters above, I used bimmer-remote.com to upgrade my iDrive firmware and activate full screen CarPlay. I'd highly recommend using them. They frequently have sales, so I paid about $150 for the service, which was well worth it for me as I use Waze and Spotify pretty much every time I drive. It make the experience feel a lot more premium - funny how filling that last 1/3 of the screen makes such a difference! If you use CarPlay a lot, just spend the money and get it done, you'll thank yourself for it.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2023, 02:58 PM   #10
meds1976
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F16 X6 M50i

Garage List
Same. Had lifetime AirPlay subscription but by NBTEvo version was N. Paid a guy here in the UK to flash it to version Y and then add full screen. Definitely love it. But do wish it was integrated with the HUD as scrolling through tracks is a pain as have to use the iDrive screen.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2023, 03:06 PM   #11
rmacgurn
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X63.0D, 911C4S

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by lauritzm View Post
Thank you for sharing your experience.

Carplay does work great, except it's on 2/3rd screen, so I am not sure what the previous owner did. When I go to the BMW ConnectedDrive it says I can buy Carplay for 60 bucks...

So for me it would be 200 bucks. I also want do some BimmerCode changes, quite a few actually, but I understand that after Bimmer Remote software upgrade those won't work.

For now I think I will just leave it at 2/3rds and use BimmerCode to do changes I want (heated seat settings, remove startup warnings etc.)
having a 2018 X6 and just doing this I can offer these thoughts.
1. I used bimmercode to do a USB unlock for CarPlay and was full screen as my EVO version was N. however that patch blocks other changes in the HU by bimmer code until you refresh the HU.
2. I wanted to add other things to my car and move up to later software and found the best way to do that was a $25 enet cable from amazon and a free download of esys and psdz 230gb data file.
3. I have ISTA+ put was afraid to use if for more then basic trouble shooting and maintenance items.
4. I can recommend a guy (now on easter vacation) can do it very cheap $115 including updating other modules and even your maps to latest version 2022. it will give you full screen CarPlay, android screen share, music and videos/movies from a USB stick in your center console, even can watch while in motion.
there are other upgrades that occur when you update to Bmw's latest software as well.

send me a pm if you want the contact or the download links.
thanks
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2023, 09:52 AM   #12
leen_vandelied
Registered
Rep
Drives: X6 40d 2018

Hey here, old post but i'm not sure to understand all this topics about full screen carplay

I found my NBTevo_Y version on the display, it's an X6 F16 40d from 2018 since 2 weeks. I bought carplay on the bmw store and it's working well ...

But i don't really understand, I see post with ODB, only USB, update for 16$ on ebay or 200$ + some time

I don't really understand what is needed to put this full screen ><
I have nothing to connect to my car ^^'
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2023, 03:42 PM   #13
meds1976
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F16 X6 M50i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by leen_vandelied View Post
Hey here, old post but i'm not sure to understand all this topics about full screen carplay

I found my NBTevo_Y version on the display, it's an X6 F16 40d from 2018 since 2 weeks. I bought carplay on the bmw store and it's working well ...

But i don't really understand, I see post with ODB, only USB, update for 16$ on ebay or 200$ + some time

I don't really understand what is needed to put this full screen ><
I have nothing to connect to my car ^^'
As your iDrive versions is Y, you can use Bimmercode to upgrade to full CarPlay.
Appreciate 0